shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher, Royal Asscher, Octavia Asscher... Differences??

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... I am aware that Royal Asscher is the first cut in the style and is a unique cut that is protected, and that 'asscher' has become a generic term for cuts in that style (but that are slightly different). I'm also aware that the Octavia Asscher is a new cut, born out of PriceScope :sun: which is different again to both the above cuts.

Are the differences between them simply the number of steps cut into the top half? So three for a generic asscher, four for an Octavia and five (IIRC?) for a Royal Asscher?

I'm sure this is already posted somewhere so feel free to just point me elsewhere to read :D lol

Thanks in advance all! :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Asscher, Royal Asscher, Octavia Asscher... Differences?

The original Asscher has 3 crown steps and 3 pavilion steps as does Octavia.
The difference with Octavia is the small table and super high crown with highly optimized angles.
The original Asscher was patented in 1902.

The Royal Asscher is a patented cut design by the Asscher family.
3 crown, 5 pavilion steps, high crown(not as high as Octavia), larger cut corners.

Square emeralds aka asschers have been cut with any number of pavilion and crown steps.
I have seen a 4 crown 6 pavilion steps that was around a 100 years old.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K|1404217484|3704370 said:
The original Asscher has 3 crown steps and 3 pavilion steps as does Octavia.
The difference with Octavia is the small table and super high crown with highly optimized angles.
The original Asscher was patented in 1902.

The Royal Asscher is a patented cut design by the Asscher family.
3 crown, 5 pavilion steps, high crown(not as high as Octavia), larger cut corners.

Square emeralds aka asschers have been cut with any number of pavilion and crown steps.
I have seen a 4 crown 6 pavilion steps that was around a 100 years old.
Stormy ...how many total facets on these different style of Asschers?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Asscher/Octavia 58 RA 74

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl, all other things being equal doesn't more rows of facets mean smaller flashes of light but more of them?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

kenny|1404256546|3704811 said:
Karl, all other things being equal doesn't more rows of facets mean smaller flashes of light but more of them?
For the same table size and crown height and corner size and how well the facets work with each other that is some what true but there may be exceptions.
Any of those things are different and all bets are off.
So in other words you could be right in some situations but I can not say the answer is yes.
You old asscher had more facets than your Octavia. Does that explain why I cant say yes?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Many thanks for the replies, all, some really useful info! :read: :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very interesting... thanks for the explanations. :))

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It's also important to remember that generic diamonds being sold as Asscher cuts can take many different forms.
For example, most have a three step crown. Four crown step crowns are more rare.
Interestingly enough, GIA did not used to notate this aspect on the plot on the report - we have had stones with four step tops that had a GIA plot with three steps on the crown.
The report date was 2008, maybe GIA has improved that aspect.

Technically, an Asscher cut should be classified by GIA as "Octagonal Step Cut"- but you'll also find stones that look like Asscher cuts called "Square Emerald Cut" "Cut Cornered Square Step Cut" by GIA
On generic stones there's more variation possible- for example rectangular step cuts that have the personality of an Asscher.
Also culet variation. There's a lot of different flavors of generic Asscher cut.
It's a lovely shape when done right, yet it can be very lifeless when done incorrectly- and unfortunately, bad ones are far more common on the market

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results