carat
color
clarity

Another dumb question...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An emerald cut can be square...

An asscher is a square emerald? Is a corner cut rectangle an asscher?

Can a princess be an emerald?

What is the definition of emerald cut? I just assumed it was rectangular ( with or without cut corners)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just my understanding and may not be all correct!

Emerald cuts are rectangular step cut diamonds that generally have cut corners. I have seen a couple of antique rings without cut corners, and one might have been a Cartier ring. I am not sure if those would be called EC or not (square emeralds with corners are carre cuts).

Asschers are square emeralds and have cut corners. The Royal Asscher people apparently do not like us to call square emeralds asschers because they think they have the right to the name. But you know, it's kind of like asking for a Kleenex...the name is generic for that item even though it started out with a particular origin (and Mr. Asscher created the asscher cut diamond). On grading reports, asschers are called square emeralds.

Square emeralds without cut corners are called carre cuts. You see them in channel-set eternity rings or shanks of e-rings because they work better (than asschers) without the cut corners.

I don't see how a princess would have any relation to an EC because it is not a step cut.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Building on what Diamondseeker said...the difference between an EC and a generic Asscher is the culet. If it's a keel, it's an EC (even if it's square), if it's a point it's an asscher.

Baguettes are step cuts that have no corners and are rectangular or tapered.

Princesses and cushions are brilliant cuts. Not step cuts. They have nothing to do with step cuts.

BUT my generic asscher has been called a princess, erroneously. That's just ignorance. And many jewelers have made that mistake with my ring. And they are all wrong.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
square step cuts without cut corners is a square step cut also called carre but usually only in small sizes.
rectangular step cuts without cut corners is a rectangular step cut

No a princess cut can not be an emerald cut because it is a brilliant cut not a step cut.
In a step cut the facets run horizontal in a brilliant cut they run vertical.
Mixed cuts are a step cut pavilion with a brilliant cut crown or the reverse, step cut crown and a brilliant cut pavilion.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1402803679|3693452 said:
Baguettes are step cuts that have no corners and are rectangular or tapered. that have 14 facets otherwise they are a rectangular or tapered step cut if you want to be technically correct
Hi Gypsy!!! :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Karl, thanks for the clarification. I wondered about that.

Hi Diamondseeker!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not a dumb question but very good thread where step cut shapes are explained in one thread so that someone looking for step cut info needn't sieve through many threads. Thank you, all. :appl:

DS, that asscher you linked is drool worthy :lickout: but the price is sticker shock.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Explanations helped me as well! Not a dumb question at all.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the great responses!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results