shape
carat
color
clarity

asscher question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Interestingly Storm the corner size makes much less difference that you expect. Even the current spread measure (with out corners) is a far better indication of spread than the blunt and useless total depth %.

A 1ct perfectly square stone with corners looses 0.05ct with 16% corners (my preference) and this stone has 5% less spread than a stone with no corners (-5%).

This one shown at 25% corners has shrunk to 0.875cts. Personally I would think this would look terrible – but you say you like huge 22% to 26% - and you are welcome to your opinion. But it does not look much like an asscher to me.

Date: 12/10/2006 4:21:33 PM
Author: strmrdr

The current numbers take none of that into account and cant as far as the PS database goes because the info isnt there.
Garry said above that they are bad numbers and he was going to fix it by assuming 18 degree corners.
18 degree corners are just getting into the good zone and are done for weight retention, do we really want to encourage them?
I prefere 22-26 myself.

BTW it is % not degrees – degrees refers to the angle of the corners, and is usually 45 degrees. And the percentage is worked out on the industry standard of the stone width divided into the horizontal width of one corner. So if you cut 50% corners off then the stone becomes a square with no corners again.

So Kenny, what that means is that your stone has 20% corners (my calculated estimate – and about as big as I would go) and has a -21% spread or top down surface area (face up size) as calculated by DiamCalc in comparison to a Tolkowsky round diamond. Now if your stone had no corners at all it would have had a – 16% spread and would weigh 2.44ct.

So Storm can you see that this is not a huge difference?

The corner size is not such a big issue and people can use the current Pricescope guideline spread data as part of their overall decision making process, because as we all know, SIZE COUNTS too.

asscher 25 percent corners.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGS_ECGeomerty.jpg

If I recall right the DC default model is 22.5
my preference is around 24 +\- a couple with around 18 being the min.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2006 4:19:27 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Interestingly Storm the corner size makes much less difference that you expect. Even the current spread measure (with out corners) is a far better indication of spread than the blunt and useless total depth %.

A 1ct perfectly square stone with corners looses 0.05ct with 16% corners (my preference) and this stone has 5% less spread than a stone with no corners (-5%).

This one shown at 25% corners has shrunk to 0.875cts. Personally I would think this would look terrible – but you say you like huge 22% to 26% - and you are welcome to your opinion. But it does not look much like an asscher to me.

Date: 12/10/2006 4:21:33 PM

The current numbers take none of that into account and cant as far as the PS database goes because the info isnt there.
Garry said above that they are bad numbers and he was going to fix it by assuming 18 degree corners.
18 degree corners are just getting into the good zone and are done for weight retention, do we really want to encourage them?
I prefere 22-26 myself.

BTW it is % not degrees – degrees refers to the angle of the corners, and is usually 45 degrees. And the percentage is worked out on the industry standard of the stone width divided into the horizontal width of one corner. So if you cut 50% corners off then the stone becomes a square with no corners again.

So Kenny, what that means is that your stone has 20% corners (my calculated estimate – and about as big as I would go) and has a -21% spread or top down surface area (face up size) as calculated by DiamCalc in comparison to a Tolkowsky round diamond. Now if your stone had no corners at all it would have had a – 16% spread and would weigh 2.44ct.

So Storm can you see that this is not a huge difference?

The corner size is not such a big issue and people can use the current Pricescope guideline spread data as part of their overall decision making process, because as we all know, SIZE COUNTS too.

If I recall right the DC default model is 22.5 actually there is no asscer model in DiamCalc - you need to adjust an emerald cut that has a 22.5% corner and make your own asscher Storm.

my preference is arounf 24 +\- a couple. I think you might be on your Pat Malone ther Storm.

We flipped a [page - here is the 25% corner stone - you seriously think this is attractive?

asscher 25 percent corner.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes I love that 25% shape but id improve the angles a little :}
Most asschers these days are on the small cornered side of my preference.
It is done to retain weight.

And yea I know you have to resize the EC to square in DC to get a default asscher.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
fun fun 430 in the morning and have an appointment at 9:00 am and im on here... fun fun even if im a little fuzzy LOL
So if I start typing out songs ya know why :}

anyway......

Corners are a personal preference thing some like em small some large, but in my opinion under around 18 the windmills get too small to get the full effect of them.
I made most of my models at the 22.5 point because it looks good and its in my sweet zone and around 20-24 or so both camps small and large cornered seem to like them.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2006 5:29:36 AM
my sweet zone and around 20-24 or so both camps small and large cornered seem to like them.
I am glad you have adjusted it from 22-26% to 20-24% Storm.

When Kenny wakes up he will know that his stone is now within your ideal range.

if you like wind mills so much - whyy not set the stones at 45 degrees?
Then the windmills are bigger than the sides
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw what is "on your Pat Malone" spose to mean?
Google turns up several different meanings for it and none of em fit.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pat Malone = alone = I'm all on my Pat Malone.

Date: 12/11/2006 5:42:16 AM
btw what is 'on your Pat Malone' spose to mean?
Google turns up several different meanings for it and none of em fit.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=IBMA,IBMA:2006-14,IBMA:en&q=%22Pat+Malone%22+rhyming+slang

I sometimes forget that we 'aliens' know all the US slang - and Americans only know all the US slang.

Anyway, it would be interesting to run a poll and see how many people like asschers in their windmills - vs - windmills in their ascschers?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 5:41:21 AM

Date: 12/11/2006 5:29:36 AM
my sweet zone and around 20-24 or so both camps small and large cornered seem to like them.
I am glad you have adjusted it from 22-26% to 20-24% Storm.

When Kenny wakes up he will know that his stone is now within your ideal range.

if you like wind mills so much - whyy not set the stones at 45 degrees?
Then the windmills are bigger than the sides
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
There is no ideal corner % in my opinion, it varies person to person.
I do however think that around 18% in the min.
My personal preference is 24ish that looks the very very best to me not everyone likes them that big.
My preferences have also changed a little at first I liked the ones around 18-20 better.
But my advise has remained the same, big enough to get good windmills and anything over that is personal preference.

Kenny knows how I feel about his asscher, I love it 20% corners, 21% whatever they work and it looks kicken.

I love asschers set with the corners E/W :} and if wifey2b agrees her''s will be set that way with her next upgrade which will be an asscher.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garry, a poll would be kewl my DC is still broke, you have time to do the images?
How about 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 percent? That would be a managable number of options.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2006 6:05:55 AM
Garry, a poll would be kewl my DC is still broke, you have time to do the images?
How about 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 percent? That would be a managable number of options.
Impossible to make fair comparisons - some would have better patterns and more even brightness than others.

It would take a day or more to come close to a fair set of cpomparison stones

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2006 1:10:57 AM
actually I just noticed there is an error in the asscher spread calculations - it assumes the stone has its corners.

Will ask Leonid to assume 18% corners and reset the calculation.

In general nice asschers have a smaller spread than princess because they have more crown. But all things being equal a better spread makes the stone more desirable. That Storm is undenialble.

For an answer - Kenny''s asscher is -21% which is about middle of the road in my experiance (limitied). To get under -10% you would need a dangerously thin girdle.

So Garry, what about this comment you made - that to get under -10% you need a dangerously thin girdle? Is this still true? Has an adjustment been made yet for corners? I still see quite a few asschers with spreads between 0 and -10% that have medium, thick, etc. girdles. Hmmm...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 4:13:26 PM
Date: 12/1/2006 3:51:58 PM

Author: starryeyed

Did you ever consider this one? I''ve seen it on a few threads:

2.47 F IF from WF

I think you commented on this one Storm at one point?
It looks like a nice asscher not my favorite but nice.

Its one of those that the table is just a little on the big side its just a little over deep and because of the IF its fairly expensive.

Ok, so for the heck of it, I ordered the 2.47 F IF from WF to see what it looks like in person. They set it in a ring for insurance purposes ( and I suppose to try to get me to keep it!). Photos in the next post....

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here's the pre-delivery photo set....Thoughts? Don't worry you won't hurt my feelings.

WFAsschRingPhotoSet1.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
same opinion.
You may like it and if so your set :}

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/12/2006 8:01:51 PM
Here''s the pre-delivery photo set....Thoughts? Don''t worry you won''t hurt my feelings.
It looks good from that photo - but the camera is further away. I like those alternating dark bars inside the table - they give a strong asscher effect - if that is what you see then it should be very nice.

The ASET image (as i rember) would have indicated more of the table region was darkish - but you will know when you see the stone

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Well I picked up the ring and looked at the diamond through my handy-dandy ASET-scope. My biggest comment is a few degrees matter! The color changed from blue to bright red with an ever so slight adjustment of my hand - almost imperceptible motion and the colors changed quickly. Hmmm...

The IdealScope was a lot less variable. Hmmm....

Well the F IF is incredible, I''ll say that. I will attempt to post a few pictures, but they didn''t come out great.

AsscherFIF1.JPG

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Last one for now....

AsscherFIF4th.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes a little tilt makes a big difference under the ASET and in person.
The kewl thing is that the patterns tends to make it easy to line it up, most people do it without even thinking about it.

How does the stone look to your eye?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2006 8:01:51 PM
Here's the pre-delivery photo set....Thoughts? Don't worry you won't hurt my feelings.
I think it looks a little dark but better than a lot of asschers out there. I am pretty sure that is the same setting as my ring and even though it is really simple I love it. Ok, I wish the head was prettier but still... I love the simple band with an asscher. Very classic. You are prob just using it as a temp setting but still
2.gif
F IF WOW! Love the hand pics!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 4:20:09 PM
Yes a little tilt makes a big difference under the ASET and in person.

The kewl thing is that the patterns tends to make it easy to line it up, most people do it without even thinking about it.

How does the stone look to your eye?

Hi Storm, the stone looks very crisp. There are strong windmills and nice contrast. The hall of mirrors effect is strong. Of course, today is the most cloudy, overcast, rainy day and it''s dark here at 4pm - aargh - so I couldn''t take pictures in natural light. The pictures definitely do not describe what is happening "live".

The second pictures looks a little dark under the table, but as I look at the ring on my finger, I don''t see what appears in the photo. It''s an elusive thing....

I think I''d need a laser level to really get the diamond straight! The patterns lines up easily through a range of degrees, so the ASET image is a bit hard to pin down.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kewl
look deep into the stone does it drag you into its depths?
ie: look 10 miles deep.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Well Storm, I'm slightly near-sighted, just to you know. The stone does not draw me in from 3 feet away. However, at about 18" or 1 foot away, I'm definitely drawn in.

Indecisive, thanks for your honest opinion! The setting is a good way to look at the stone and, I agree with you, is very classic and wearable.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
It looks much brighter in the other pics. Asschers can be really funny about taking pictures. I like this one though!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Indecisive, I looked at the posts of your ring and read about that brief panic attack (ha-ha!) when you thought your windmills shrank. You rec''d some pretty good comments about how pictures don''t do the stone justice. I can identify with all that went on!

Your ring is beautiful! Yes, it looks like we have the same setting.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asschers are such SLIPPERY devils!! It''s hard to know which are "dogs" WITHOUT pictures - yet pictures don''t even come close to telling the whole story. They''re just so much more "alive" and hypnotic than can possibly be captured in still photos - and I''d guess video even would have a hard time truly showcasing the 3-D qualities & overall appeal.

Anyhoo - I think that stone is very pretty. Does it ring your bell?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Decodelighted. I agree with you 100%! I read your comments on Indecisive's thread and totally understood what you were saying.

The stone is lovely - I'm trying to decide if it's a keeper. They do face-up small, that's for sure. I don't fall in love fast - I have to study things for a while, talk to other people, get opinions. I'm funny that way....

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh, I totally freaked out when we got the first pictures! I love it though and all that deco said is so true. My stone is so clear that sometimes dust particles freak me out but it is so worth it. I know how you feel about wanting opinions. I would take the ring on some field trips and look at it in a bunch of different lighting conditions to see how it looks. Asschers can have so many beautiful and different looks depending on tilt and light. That one sure looks great on your hand
2.gif

P.S. I am so happy Irina fixed my avatar so you can actually see my ring! She is the best!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results