shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher on hold, a penny for your thoughts

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's hard to judge leakage without the ASET and/or IdealScope, unfortunately, and this computer isn't up-to-date enough to let me rotate the stone on the webpage :roll:

I like the faceting pattern but you'd need to work out if the dark areas I can see are obstruction from the camera or dead facets from poor cutting.

If you buy the stone and they bring it in to the local office, will they ASET it for you? Or, if not, you could buy an ASET and IdealScope off one of the sponsor adverts that pops up from time to time on the forum or from Wink at HPD, and then check it out yourself?

I can't get the website to work to check out their returns policy either :wall: but IIRC they are decent and you could purchase and then return if you don't like it and/or the scope images are poor. You would need to check the policies out!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it has potential but can't totally tell from what I see online. I'd really want an ASET on this one. Hopefully they can do it when it arrives in their office.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1473882148|4076529 said:
I think it has potential but can't totally tell from what I see online. I'd really want an ASET on this one. Hopefully they can do it when it arrives in their office.

Agree. :wavey:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! I released it back into the wild. The more I read & learn, the more I think my eyes are getting a little better at seeing the nuances. I'm trying to understand the P3 issue, but I haven't figured out exactly what I'm looking for to spot that.

OooShiny I wondered that about the lack of movement towards the center. It's subtle, so I wasn't sure if I was seeing it or not. I'm so glad you mentioned it! They've got an amazing return policy - free shipping to and fro, with 30 days to return it. But customers are limited to three returns.

I was able to get an ASET on an emerald that looked like it could be amazing. It showed what I suspected might be the case though - that there's a ton of brilliance in the belly of the stone, but not quite enough on the ends to balance it out nicely. Is that interpretation correct? It still looks amazing for an emerald - but I'd really like more evenly distributed reds. Is that a pipe dream?

emaset.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pipe dream. That right there is a perfect EC. And it' is glorious.

I would snatch that puppy up. Stats?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have it on hold yet so... Around 3/4 carat, E-F color, vvs clarity. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dimensions are what I was looking for. 8)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, i know better too! I'm not at home and hving trouble pulling it up. 6.24x4.49 if memory serves. 3.02 depth?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a good size! Would you set it N/S or E/W?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm a northsouther. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a nice EC! But are you sure you want an EC rather than an asscher?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are amazing, which you know, but now it's my turn to say it. :))

Bear with me, if you will. I really want to try to understand this a bit more. So Gypsy you say that's a perfect EC, but here's an ASET from an old EC thread and there's read all over the place. Isn't this way better? Won't this light up on the ends too, whereas the one I posted will illuminate but not light up?

ETA: Ergh, technical difficulties (multiple posts).

perfectaset.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainy, that last EC ASET is highly unusual and it looks like maybe it is a computer generated one. Right now no one is cutting ideal cut ECs, so you aren't going to find ASETs like that 99% of the time. The other one you posted is very good and acceptable for an EC. But if I recall correctly that you plan on setting this stone in a bezel like a stacker ring, I honestly would do an asscher.

I don't think the last asscher will be worth using up one of your 3 ASETs.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, thank you! Can you elaborate for me - why would you do an asscher over an emerald, especially for a bezel? (I did some shopping but I don't have enough selection near enough to me to get the hands-on experience that you and Gypsy and others have.)

I went ahead and purchased the EC. I definitely need to see it, and with their return policy I can't go wrong. Although having you say it's 'very good' and 'acceptable' makes me nervous! I want amazing! :bigsmile: I am hoping for one like the third one in this GOG video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVdSPZ1I47M,, What Cherry Optics Look Like in an Emerald Cut). If this one doesn't knock my socks off, my next step will be to decide one or the other, asscher or emerald, and get in touch with GOG to do their magic.

Can I bother you to check out one more asscher, and tell me what your thoughts are? I can't get an ASET on it, but I've had it bookmarked for months and keep wondering if it's something special or just an oddity.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.74-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-610125

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rainy honey, the issue with step cut and JA's video set up is that while brilliant cuts stones are not hugely impacted by being photographed lying on their side like that. Step cuts ARE. So a stone that looks fabulous in the video will not be that way in real life. And with step cuts ASETs are an imperfect tool as well (Jon from GOG has an explanation of that somewhere).

What does that mean? It is great your ordered it in person, because you did all the due diligence possible online, and now you just have to see if you love it. Don't worry, we are here. We'll help you find your precious. =) If if it means kissing a few frogs along the way.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, okay, thanks Gypsy! It's so hard being on PS and seeing people get these amazing, needle-in-haystack stones, or go through their journeys but still not understanding entirely how to get there myself!! I'm excited to get this stone, it's got a teeny tiny table which I love in other cuts, so I'm hoping it means good things with this particular stone. I was close with my stats, too.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.78-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-755494

In all my researching I haven't come across Jon's explanation of ASETs being an imperfect tool for steps.... off to search for that now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of the "needle in haystack" stones come from weeks and months of searching and with some leniency on the stats. Thinking outside the box.

I find them some times. Usually happens when I am browsing for someone else and being 'lax' with the specs. If I see anything I'll let you know.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results