shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Cut search, help!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the angle is creating this darkness at the center; the ASET shows contrast, not leakage. While in motion, there do not appear to be any dead steps; everything lights up, beautifully.
This may just be your Asscher. How do you feel about it?

6289D02D-79FE-4D1F-8217-62CFA24058AC.png

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be contrary now :razz:

I think it's nice, but... it doesn't sing to me...

I find it hard to verbalise my thoughts on such things sometimes! but the central area / under the table lacks some brightness to my eyes when head-on, such as in the pic above. The contrast patterns are quite strong but not 'too much', which creates visual interest without dominance :) but I'm just not sure if there is enough strong light return off any of the facets at that angle.

Does that make sense??

It is a couple of videos in controlled lighting environments, though, so if it is calling to you, it could be worth a look in real life :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be contrary now :razz:

I think it's nice, but... it doesn't sing to me...

I find it hard to verbalise my thoughts on such things sometimes! but the central area / under the table lacks some brightness to my eyes when head-on, such as in the pic above. The contrast patterns are quite strong but not 'too much', which creates visual interest without dominance :) but I'm just not sure if there is enough strong light return off any of the facets at that angle.

Does that make sense??

It is a couple of videos in controlled lighting environments, though, so if it is calling to you, it could be worth a look in real life :)

I think this diamond needs naked eye evaluation. I’m not ready to eliminate it, just because the ASET contradicts the video. P3 facet position is such a terrible place to view a step cut.
This diamond deserves closer, in person consideration.

Last edited:

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 and @OoohShiny

I feel good about this one.
The ASET gives me HOPE just the darkness at the center have me worried.
I know the only way to know for sure is to see this in person so I bought this yesterday and should arrive around Monday or Tuesday next week.
Finger crossed this might be “THE ONE” ;)2

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 and @OoohShiny

I feel good about this one.
The ASET gives me HOPE just the darkness at the center have me worried.
I know the only way to know for sure is to see this in person so I bought this yesterday and should arrive around Monday or Tuesday next week.
Finger crossed this might be “THE ONE” ;)2
So exciting!!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope it's the one for you! :))

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks good. It will be quite sparkly rather than broad flashing. It doesn’t have totally symmetrical optics but instead it will have a lot of life.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
However, must say I do NOT understand the. I culet grade. In all images it appears to have a culet.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
However, must say I do NOT understand the. I culet grade. In all images it appears to have a culet.

Could it be rather that it was erroneously labeled “Asscher”, when it is, indeed, more of a “Square Cut Emerald Cut”? That’s what it appears to me* to be.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could it be rather that it was erroneously labeled “Asscher”, when it is, indeed, more of a “Square Cut Emerald Cut”? That’s what it appears to me* to be.
Indeed.
Keel == square emerald
Point == asscher type.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
As an aside and talking about no diamond in particular some of the best looking square to squarish step cuts I have seen where emerald cut rather than asscher type cuts.
There is more than one stunning Square ECs represented on PS.
They are fairly common in old cut stones to get around the Asscher patent by those that just didn't ignore it.
I love both types.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Could it be Square Cut Emerald Cut!

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Does anyone own Square Cut Emerald Cut or have any picture that you can share?

This is very interesting! I love Emerald Cut and Asscher Cut.
I called the vendor just now and they confirm this is an Asscher Cut but can anyone tell me how I can tell if this is really Asscher Cut or Square Cut Emerald Cut?
Either Asscher or Square Cut Emerald Cut I will love it as long as this diamond is beautiful in person.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone own Square Cut Emerald Cut or have any picture that you can share?

This is very interesting! I love Emerald Cut and Asscher Cut.
I called the vendor just now and they confirm this is an Asscher Cut but can anyone tell me how I can tell if this is really Asscher Cut or Square Cut Emerald Cut?
Either Asscher or Square Cut Emerald Cut I will love it as long as this diamond is beautiful in person.

This is a question for @Karl_K:

Are there specific criterion required in order to determine a square Emerald Cut from an Asscher Cut?
In my* opinion, to my* eyes, this diamond is a square EC.
Is this subjective, or are there true parameters that a diamond must meet to be one or the other, outside of clear l x w ratio (ie: 1.00:1-1.03:1)?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Square EC or asscher under 1.05 l/w and over that rectangular.
If the culet is a keel its an emerald cut, if the culet is a point its asscher type.
If an open culet is rectangler its emerald for old cuts.
However the definition has become so convoluted that both Square ECs and asscher type stones under 1.05 l/w are often called asschers theses days.

What is interesting is that Rap has entries for both square emeralds and asschers and the vast majority of square emeralds are listed under asscher.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Square EC or asscher under 1.05 l/w over that rectangular.
If the culet is a keel its an emerald cut, if the culet is a point its asscher type.
However the definition has become so convoluted that both Square ECs and asscher type stones under 1.05 l/w are often called asschers theses days.

Clarification appreciated, once again!
So, depending on who’s looking at it, it can be either?
@-Asscher-, is this the stone you said is 1.05:1 l x w ratio?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was just looking at rap for SE that had images and 90% of them I looked at that had pictures should have been under asscher.
Rofl.
Even diamond suppliers can't keep it strait.
There were far less listed as SE than asscher by a huge margin.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium

What is interesting is that Rap has entries for both square emeralds and asschers and the vast majority of square emeralds are listed under asscher.
Thank you Karl.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium

So basic from the culet this diamond should be identified as Square Cut Emerald Cut?
As long as I find a beautiful stone it doesn’t matter if my Asscher searching turned it to Square Cut Emerald Cut =)2

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it’s important to note that as far as GIA is concerned, there is no such a thing as an “Asscher Cut”
A branded royal asscher would be classified as “octagonal step cut” (iirc) but never as Asscher on the GIA report

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it’s important to note that as far as GIA is concerned, there is no such a thing as an “Asscher Cut”
A branded royal asscher would be classified as “octagonal step cut” (iirc) but never as Asscher on the GIA report
Hi David,
Thank you for stoping by=)2

Last edited:

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
5E2B9B73-840D-4733-8A0B-AF13270C6657.jpeg Update with new diamond, just arrived over an hour ago.
Here is ASET image I took myself with my ASET scope and two videos.
Sorry is a crappy picture and videos, was in hurry for Dentist appointment.

Red background

Asscher Cut - Square emerald cut

Any input ?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results