shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut evaluation

briggysmalls

Rough_Rock
Heya @Ibrakeforpossums! Yeah that's right. So sorry for being confusing, and multiple posts.

I'll try to summarise/collate to be a bit clearer.

Since Dec 31st I've focused on 4 diamonds:

[1] 3.03ct I VVS2 61% (named "larger" in this post)
[2] 2.05ct D VS2 58% (named "smaller" in this post)
[3] 3.19ct I IF 63% (shared in this post)
[4] 2.63ct F VVS1 61% (named "best compromise" in this post)

I've since ordered BOTH [1] and [3].

I've received [1], and my previous post has shared some videos and photos on it. That same post also contains an ASET for the other diamond I've ordered: [3].

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Okay. Don't apologize, you're being quite thorough and Asschers make their own rules.
The diamond you have does stay dark a bit, and #3 might as well. What about the WF one? Nice ASET on it.

briggysmalls

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, both my choices definitely opted for size in spite of potential darkness.

When you refer to the "WF one". Which one do you mean, sorry? 3 of the 4 diamonds in that list are with WhiteFlash.

The only ASET I've posted on this thread is for [3]. WhiteFlash required that I ordered the diamond before they could bring it in and image it. The video certainly makes it look dark. I was trying to interpret the ASET and thought it was a mixed bag: large area of contrast + leakage. But also some nice brightness in the centre and on the winmills. Was it this ASET you were referring to? I can copy in those details here:

[3] 3.19ct I IF 63%

original post
360 vid:
1704897661840.png

ASET:
1704897579111.png

Separately, a long while back we identified a really nice diamond from WhiteFlash. that's [2] in my list. But unfortunately I don't have an ASET for that one. And as discussed, I think I've concluded it's "too small" for my gf, despite the gorgeous cut!

---

The list for completeness:

[1] 3.03ct I VVS2 61% (named "larger" in this post)
[2] 2.05ct D VS2 58% (named "smaller" in this post)
[3] 3.19ct I IF 63% (shared in this post)
[4] 2.63ct F VVS1 61% (named "best compromise" in this post)

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
You're right, I am confused. #3 ASET above is on its way, correct? It might be quite pleasing with that center winking at you. And I like the windmills.

briggysmalls

Rough_Rock
You're right, I am confused. #3 ASET above is on its way, correct? It might be quite pleasing with that center winking at you. And I like the windmills.
It's on it's way, if I give WF the go-ahead! I was planning to do so, unless someone here said something like "oh no, that ASET is appalling, don't even bother" lol.

And you haven't! So I'm very grateful :) just the reassurance I was looking for. I also absolutely love the windmills too. As you say, given the current one is a bit dead face-up, that bright centre might be enough to be more bright in comparison.

I'd love to look at the two side-by-side. There will be some faff with returning one (and reclaiming VAT on the refunded one). But with such a significant purchase for me, I think it's worth having that choice!

Thanks @Ibrakeforpossums, I'll be sharing updates when I receive the other :pray:

briggysmalls

Rough_Rock
Diamond [3] arrived! I'm going to upload a couple of comparison videos. In both videos [1] is the top diamond and [3] is the bottom.

...I'm really struggling to decide

I have to say, I really like the concentric squares of [1]. I think this one looks "neater" / even.

[3] to me seems more messy, pattern-wise. There's no wonderful moment when everything "lines up". But on the plus side I think it: scintillates a little bit more, look bigger to me (which it is, but barely), And the shape is more appealing with larger cut-corners and windmills. Finally I also believe the larger windmills give it much more movement.

I think if I had to pick right now. I'd pick [3] even with a wee bit of reservations. Because I reckon my gf won't actually notice the drawbacks, but will probably spot some of the positives (i.e. shape, size, scintillation). And it will end up costing ~25% less!

That being said. As ever. I'm really keen to hear folks opinions. For learning :) Which would you keep? :cool2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer the top stone!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dunno both seem nice? I kinda lean to the bottom stone too for the reasons you mentioned: pleasing outline, bigger, 25% less expensive. Something about the fat windmills is cool. Those seem as good a reason as any to select a stone. But both are nice! I think your gf will be happy with either because they are 3ct and that’s huge! Lucky gal to have you taking such care over this choice.

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hi
I like them both and I think there’s no substitute for what you see in person so you should go with what your eyes see.
I just also want to say how fantastic it is that you have taken so much time and put so much thought into this process. I can’t wait to see the finished ring

briggysmalls

Rough_Rock
Folks, as always I’ve found all your feedback really helpful. I feel like I’ve got the wisdom of so many by sharing here!

Hi
I like them both and I think there’s no substitute for what you see in person so you should go with what your eyes see.
I just also want to say how fantastic it is that you have taken so much time and put so much thought into this process. I can’t wait to see the finished ring

Aw thank you @Christinak! Thats really made my day :) I’ve got very into the whole search. I’m pretending to my gf that I’m still searching to try to make it possible to surprise her. So she’s now joking that I’m too into it, lol. I’m now really excited to see it on my gfs finger!!!

After lots of deliberation I think I’m going with [3]. If it were for me, I’d pick [1]. But I do think the 9% face up size difference is noticeable, and I reckon that’s my gfs strongest preference.

But I’ve now got a big concern. I just realised the GIA report included in the WhiteFlash box isn’t an actual report, but a print out with a watermark. It looks like just the contents of the online look up.

EDIT: I’ve removed my original panic here. I’ve contacted WhiteFlash who are looking into my issue. I believe they will sort this out for me!

Glad to be a buyer from a company with such great support!

Last edited:

briggysmalls

Rough_Rock
SHE SAID YES! I couldn’t be happier! with the proposal, the diamond, the setting, everything! :dance:

I worked with Simon Wright Jewellery to set the stone, as he was recommended elsewhere on this forum as a London based jeweller.

I was away at Rio carnival with some friends, but when I realised I could get the ring early I booked a flight home early, picked it up, and surprised my girlfriend on the doorstep :wavey:

So without further ado, here are some pictures and a video:

IMG_3733.jpeg IMG_3735.jpeg IMG_3671.jpeg

IMG_3737.jpeg

She’s absolutely obsessed with it! We can’t stop looking at it. I feel really relieved over my decision on the stone: my fiance really likes the larger cut corners, and likes the way this makes the facets look “chunkier” vs. a delicate hall of mirrors like the other one. She regularly says she feels like she can “fall into it” and spends most of her meetings staring at it!!!

Side point: in case useful to people who are searching like I was. I can’t quite believe how much bigger the stone looks once set. At one point I even showed my partner a CZ of the same dimensions and she said it looked kinda small, but we both agree the actual diamond in its setting looks way bigger. Perhaps that’s a particular quality of bezel / rub over settings?

Once again I couldn’t have got anywhere close to this ring (and happy girl) without the PriceScope community. I really don’t know what I’d have done without you folks. Particular thanks to @Ibrakeforpossums @lovedogs @Dreamer_D @tyty333 m for giving so much of your time. As well as @Karl_K for the initial technical lessons. I may not have gone for the option with the finest cut, but maybe like my jazz teacher used to say “you have to know the rules to break the rules”

A happy boy, a happy gal!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! The ring looks stunning on your fiancee'!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: Oh my word! That's some lovely finger coverage she's got going on! Love how it turned out...looks very wearable!
Big Congratulations!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Congrats!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
When she says she feels like she can fall into it, I believe you picked the right diamond. And the bezel setting is lovely and substantial, as it should be for such a large diamond. All your work really paid off. Congratulations!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! The setting is perfect — modern and timeless and also so wearable. I totally agree that diamonds look larger once sent in general, but bezel settings absolutely add some visual oomph too! The eye doesn’t discern between the metal lip and the stone so I’m sure that giant rock feel like a 4ct when worn!

So happy it worked out so well for you and that your fiancé is so happy. And thank you for coming back with pictures for us!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrates!!!!!!!!!!

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely divine :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results