shape
carat
color
clarity

Ask for full refund after waiting a YEAR+ for a setting?

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
Hi!
Ok, my story is a long one and I don't want to bore you with too many uninteresting unimportant details, but I do need some advice, opinions please.

My FI used a local chain jewelry store to purchase my original Ering from - from the beginning we had issues because they resized the ring instead of just ordering it in my size - therefore, I had it 6 months and in that time 11 diamonds had fallen out and needed replacement. We talked with the company and they agreed to make me a new setting to make it right, I asked if we could just exchange it for a different one without all the side diamonds/halo and just get a plain one - they agreed however, it was going to leave a difference in our favor so I decided then was as good time as any to upgrade the center stone - so we used the credit towards upgrading the stone and a new setting. During the new stone picking process it took FOREVER and they couldn't ever seem to get more than 1 stone in every 2-3 weeks - I was told it was because they didn't work much with stones over 1.5ct and I was asking for a 2-3ct antique- they brought in 4 stones total - 2 at one point, I said no then they brought in 2 more - when I went with the FI to look at those 2 they told us we had to make a decision that day as there was a sale and we wouldn't be eligible for the discount after that day - so reluctantly I chose 1 of the only 2 choices I was given. It wasn't a antique, but I thought I'd live - it was after all 2.53 - so really, I should just not be a whiner lol -
We purchased that stone and started on the setting issue- the more and more I looked at the new stone I just kept wishing it was the antique my heart so wanted with the chunky faceting and the high crown, so I asked them if we could just keep searching and so they agreed- after I told them I felt backed into a corner to ever make the decision on that new stone - after 6 months - yep, you read that right 6 months of them bringing in continuous cushion modified brilliants they FINALLY got 1 antique stone in - 1 - so I went to look at it and told them I wanted to think on it as it has a visible flaw that I knew would drive me nuts- a couple days pass and I went back to look again and they proceed to tell me I had till the end of the week to decide... that this was the only antique stone vendor they did business with and that after that week they were no longer under contract with them and had to send that stone back therefore, they wouldn't be getting anymore antique stones ever again, well... that left me with yet, no choice again... so we purchased the stone. So, I just bit my tongue about the very visible inclusion and hoped they could find a way to hide it with a prong or something - well, that was in June, in July the setting that we set out to have custom made was in (2 weeks late mind you) and my new antique stone was in it-- I drove home (I live about 30 minutes from the jewelry store) and got home showed everyone.. went to just bask in the glory of finally having "my" ring on my finger after all the issues and I hear a "tink" on the ground - I already knew what happened - I looked at my setting and sure enough, the diamond was missing - IT HAD FALLEN OUT LESS THAN 2 HOURS AFTER GETTING IT!!!!!!!!! So, back to the shop it went, that was July- and here we are at Thanksgiving and there is still NO setting for this new stone - The setting Im asking for is a 4 prong rose gold setting that "suits" a antique stone - no filigree, no micro pave, no extra diamonds anywhere... just a plain RG band and in 6 months I've seen1 completed version that my stone fell out of, 2 new drawings (as they are making some changes so I don't lose another stone out of it) and neither were close to the picture I provided them with (the main concern to me is that the prongs are pointy and they can't seem to understand the concept) you'd think I was asking them to recreate the Sistine Chapel or something - I mean 6 months - that puts this new diamond and setting search at well over a year now- I have been VERY patient as I knew I was changing things in the past 1 1/2 years as well - with the upgrade and the antique stone - but I've been very patient seeing as I was backed into a couple different purchases and given no choices. I finally emailed the District Manager last week and was told that he'd look into the matter and contact me asap at the beginning of this next coming week. I wasn't hateful or rude in my message only matter-of-fact with dates and specifics and let him know that it's been 2 years of solid engagement with literally no ring on my finger as even the original ring was at the shop more than ever on my finger - we have posponed our wedding 3 times due to no ring on my finger and I really truly want the ring on my finger in our wedding that I'll have forever - and it's not a huge deal to postpone we are doing destination - but a couple times they told us they'd have the ring done by a certain date and it was weeks later that we even heard anything about it- My question to you PS is - is it out of the realm of possibilities that we tell the DM that we just want a refund on everything? The setting, the diamond and our wedding bands we purchased and to just be done with their company all-together? is that too "rash" of a decision? The DM asked what I wanted to be done about this whole process and I can't think of anything that they could do at this point.. we still don't have a drawing, a wax or any time line for the setting, the diamond has a visible flaw that I wouldn't ever have chosen if I had more than 1 choice and we've waited patiently for a year + not to mention have had issues from the very beginning. Instead of asking them to somehow make up for postponed wedding plans, hours of wasted time and worry - I just want them to give us a refund, they can have everything back and we start fresh elsewhere - I just am wondering if this was you, what would you ask for to right the wrong? Should I be asking for something different? I just don't even trust them to complete the setting EVER and I really don't even want to have to deal with them inspecting my stone/setting every 6 months because I don't want them to be the one to fix anything if it ever needs nor do I want to do business with them anymore in any way.
What would your suggestion be or what would you ask for to make this situation "right" again?
Sorry this is so long and please feel free to ask questions if I skipped something or if it doesn't make sense. Thank you in advance for any advice/tips you may have!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i certainly would ask for a full refund but quite frankly you should have ended this fiasco a long time ago. I dont know how you paid or what their policies are but I doubt you will get a dime back at this point. Cant hurt to try.

silvar-surfer

Rough_Rock
1 year is unacceptable and beyond reasonable.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
That is completely unacceptable and, quite frankly, it makes me sick. Unfortunately, you may be out of luck. I would definitely ask for the refund, though. If they say no, I would take it further up the chain and explain the horrible service that you've received. They will probably try to deny it or give you store credit, but I would really fight for a full cash refund.

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
bgray|1385188945|3561601 said:
i certainly would ask for a full refund but quite frankly you should have ended this fiasco a long time ago. I dont know how you paid or what their policies are but I doubt you will get a dime back at this point. Cant hurt to try.

I know we should have - it's just that we kept getting told excuse after excuse... one week tuned into one month and I wasn't sure when to just call it quits... but now as the year mark approaches, Im just done with hearing all of their different excuses and don't care to wait one more minute :/

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
silvar-surfer|1385193594|3561608 said:
1 year is unacceptable and beyond reasonable.

Thank you - Even though in my mind a year is FAR longer than I should have waited it's good to have this reiterated by others-

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
smilligan|1385195344|3561612 said:
That is completely unacceptable and, quite frankly, it makes me sick. Unfortunately, you may be out of luck. I would definitely ask for the refund, though. If they say no, I would take it further up the chain and explain the horrible service that you've received. They will probably try to deny it or give you store credit, but I would really fight for a full cash refund.

Taking it further up the chain is exactly what we plan on doing. We should hear back from the DM this week - although his response to me was that he was "unaware of the situation" - even though I know for a fact that he was aware as of this past week when he was in store, but regardless... we will see what he has to say and if he can't give us the resolution we want, we will take it higher. Im glad to know that what we are asking isn't too much. I just didn't want to go into this asking for something unreasonable. Thank you for your response.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Push for a full refund on everything. Since it's a chain, if they say no, keep escalating. Since it's been a year, they may be unable to do anything, but I'd push HARD for it, since I don't think it's at all unreasonable to want your money back so you can start over elsewhere!

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
distracts|1385200581|3561627 said:
Push for a full refund on everything. Since it's a chain, if they say no, keep escalating. Since it's been a year, they may be unable to do anything, but I'd push HARD for it, since I don't think it's at all unreasonable to want your money back so you can start over elsewhere!

Thank you! I am a little afraid of the time passed as well, however, it's their excuses and third party jeweler/ issues that have made this process take so long, so I do hope that we can eventually get a full refund. Im so glad to know that asking for a full refund isn't unreasonable.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What is the chain name?

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
WillyDiamond|1385213824|3561656 said:
What is the chain name?

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to name them or what the forum policy was on this - but I'll out them lol - after all of that - It's Kay Jewelers :/

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
swtnsxy7|1385195690|3561613 said:

I know we should have - it's just that we kept getting told excuse after excuse... one week tuned into one month and I wasn't sure when to just call it quits... but now as the year mark approaches, Im just done with hearing all of their different excuses and don't care to wait one more minute :/

Trust me--I am not unsympathetic and I know it can happen. I have had similar situations with a different type of purchase. I would do the following: ASK, then insist, if you paid by credit card call them, then file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in your state. This will often do the trick! Been there done that! Oh--and I would let them know that you will post a review on Yelp and here....

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
bgray|1385223345|3561683 said:
swtnsxy7|1385195690|3561613 said:

Trust me--I am not unsympathetic and I know it can happen. I have had similar situations with a different type of purchase. I would do the following: ASK, then insist, if you paid by credit card call them, then file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in your state. This will often do the trick! Been there done that! Oh--and I would let them know that you will post a review on Yelp and here....

Thank you! I wondered exactly that - if I should insist or just ask at first - and my FI did say that if they don't try to resolve this quickly that we would file a complain with the BBB And let them know that Im awfully tech savy and will make sure to post a review on any social media/networking site I can get my hands on - Thank you!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swtnsxy7|1385195936|3561615 said:

Taking it further up the chain is exactly what we plan on doing. We should hear back from the DM this week - although his response to me was that he was "unaware of the situation" - even though I know for a fact that he was aware as of this past week when he was in store, but regardless... we will see what he has to say and if he can't give us the resolution we want, we will take it higher. Im glad to know that what we are asking isn't too much. I just didn't want to go into this asking for something unreasonable. Thank you for your response.

First of all, I am so sorry you're having to deal with this... it is utterly ridiculous and completely unacceptable. I would demand a full CASH refund and run as far away from them as possible. As far as the bolded above, this is the typical corportate BS response they give to try to make it seem as if this is just now happening... as if that matters to you. Your response to that should be, "well, now you know... and after year of horrible customer service and equally bad workmanship, we would like a full refund." If they will not give it, go higher. I have worked for several huge corporations, and you have to keep going higher and higher to get what you want -- since they may be the only ones who have the authorization to give you a refund. I really wish it had not been strung out this long, as it may hurt your chances of being refunded, but hindsight is always 20/20, KWIM? Also, for your future purchases, please do not use a mall store or a chain that is known for subpar quality, as well as poor customer service.

Good luck to you swtnsxy7! I hope you are able to get this resolved very soon! :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you have any documentation about the issues, the appts. you made to view the stones that they brought in one by one? Anything to prove that it's their fault it's been a year and not yours? I hope that you can resolve this to your satisfaction. I'm so sorry that what should have been a joyful occasion has turned into such a saga.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
sterling inc is the parent company.
File a BBB complaint.
Reading over their BBB report they are very responsive to the BBB.

http://www.bbb.org/akron/business-reviews/jewelers-retail/sterling-in-akron-oh-1479

To get a quicker response stick to the facts only at first and in a clear manner with precise information name, place, time, person dealt with,of each event the best you can.
Then after that you can add a paragraph of how you feel and personal information such as delayed events and so forth.

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
msop04|1385224697|3561688 said:
swtnsxy7|1385195936|3561615 said:

First of all, I am so sorry you're having to deal with this... it is utterly ridiculous and completely unacceptable. I would demand a full CASH refund and run as far away from them as possible. As far as the bolded above, this is the typical corportate BS response they give to try to make it seem as if this is just now happening... as if that matters to you. Your response to that should be, "well, now you know... and after year of horrible customer service and equally bad workmanship, we would like a full refund." If they will not give it, go higher. I have worked for several huge corporations, and you have to keep going higher and higher to get what you want -- since they may be the only ones who have the authorization to give you a refund. I really wish it had not been strung out this long, as it may hurt your chances of being refunded, but hindsight is always 20/20, KWIM? Also, for your future purchases, please do not use a mall store or a chain that is known for subpar quality, as well as poor customer service.

Good luck to you swtnsxy7! I hope you are able to get this resolved very soon! :))

I did assume it was a "corporate response" as I know that he's been given information on the situation - but Im glad to know that it truly is this and not just my assumption. I wish as well it had not taken this long, but I kept being told "one more week" "CAD is down" a couple more days or what have you and was just trying to be patient - in the world of PS I KNOW it doesn't take even 6 months to get a custom setting, but thought maybe since this was not a 'fancy' jeweler that I'd have to wait longer - Kays was definitely NOT my choice to use as I've been a PS lurker for YEARS, however, my FI had not known of this site or the connections/network of wonderful trustworthy people and he chose to use them. After the original e-ring had those 11 stones fall out I was ready to be done with them that minute- the FI kept insisting we let them make it right... well, that has brought us to 2 years later and no ring :( Thank you for your support and advice!

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
yennyfire|1385224798|3561689 said:
Do you have any documentation about the issues, the appts. you made to view the stones that they brought in one by one? Anything to prove that it's their fault it's been a year and not yours? I hope that you can resolve this to your satisfaction. I'm so sorry that what should have been a joyful occasion has turned into such a saga.

I want to put hahahahahahaha first but didn't want to seem rude, so I'll explain, then die of laughter - appointments?! HA- You'd think that would have been my first inclination that the company wasn't as 'professional' as I would have liked them to be - they would just call when a diamond came in and we'd go there- so no actual appts were ever made (that laughter wasn't at you BTW- it was at my lack of seeing a clearer picture earlier on - I was so blinded by this rock I was going to have and a custom setting I could design that I didn't see all the warning signs) :( I do have text proof of conversations between me and the assistant manager but my phone only goes back to maybe a couple months ago - (I got a new phone) I know I even have emails from months and months ago so I can definitely start today and I'll compile everything I do have and at least establish the time line and that this was their fault and not mine-thank you for pointing that out! I'll get everything I have together (had I known this was going to continue into a saga I would have been saving every. single. text from day 1)
I am so happy that Pricescope exists - I think my FI is SO tired of hearing me complain about this (and I don't mean to be negative and whiny lol) but I knew that PS would understand my frustration and that this is supposed to be a joyful occasion and a wonderful experience, especially when you get to upgrade even before the wedding!! :D but instead this makes me never want to buy jewelry ever again - well, ok... I will never purchase from them again!! Who am I trying to kid here, I LOVE diamonds :D

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
Karl_K|1385225018|3561690 said:
sterling inc is the parent company.
File a BBB complaint.
Reading over their BBB report they are very responsive to the BBB.

http://www.bbb.org/akron/business-reviews/jewelers-retail/sterling-in-akron-oh-1479

To get a quicker response stick to the facts only at first and in a clear manner with precise information name, place, time, person dealt with,of each event the best you can.
Then after that you can add a paragraph of how you feel and personal information such as delayed events and so forth.

Thank you for that link and the info!! I really appreciate that! I never thought this would escalate to all of this so I will be compiling everything together today - and thank you for the advice - I did try to stay as factual and not personal as possible in the email to the DM, so I'll definitely take all this and use it when filing or discussing further with them.
Thanks again!!

onyx8

Rough_Rock
Start blasting them on their social media sites, that is a way to get a quick response from corporate with most companies

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swtnsxy7|1385226422|3561697 said:
...I do have text proof of conversations between me and the assistant manager but my phone only goes back to maybe a couple months ago - (I got a new phone) I know I even have emails from months and months ago so I can definitely start today and I'll compile everything I do have and at least establish the time line and that this was their fault and not mine-thank you for pointing that out! I'll get everything I have together (had I known this was going to continue into a saga I would have been saving every. single. text from day 1) I am so happy that Pricescope exists - I think my FI is SO tired of hearing me complain about this (and I don't mean to be negative and whiny lol) but I knew that PS would understand my frustration and that this is supposed to be a joyful occasion and a wonderful experience, especially when you get to upgrade even before the wedding!! :D but instead this makes me never want to buy jewelry ever again - well, ok... I will never purchase from them again!! Who am I trying to kid here, I LOVE diamonds :D

I think you're on the right track, OP. Since we can't go back in time and "undo" anything, the best thing you can do is to have all of this as your documentation -- because if you don't have documentation, it didn't happen. I'm so glad you do though!!! :praise: You can always go to your cell carrier and have them give you a printed copy of any and all text messages from any phone you have ever had from them.

I would let Kay know that you have full documentation from day 1 of this ordeal. Usually, businesses are would rather handle customer complaints at store level (or that lowest level possible). Good luck, OP! :))

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post your experience on their Facebook page. Be concise and professional. Usually this approach works wonders, especially the airline business from personal experience.
Good luck!!

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
onyx8|1385228395|3561715 said:
Start blasting them on their social media sites, that is a way to get a quick response from corporate with most companies

I want and don't want to do this... I feel like I want the DM to address the situation and if we don't get a response or get put on the back burner then I will turn to social medial, until then I kind of want to give them a chance to respond - I was timid about posting their name here - but I also don't feel like I've "outed" them yet, as Im still giving them a chance to make this right

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
msop04|1385230074|3561725 said:
swtnsxy7|1385226422|3561697 said:
...I do have text proof of conversations between me and the assistant manager but my phone only goes back to maybe a couple months ago - (I got a new phone) I know I even have emails from months and months ago so I can definitely start today and I'll compile everything I do have and at least establish the time line and that this was their fault and not mine-thank you for pointing that out! I'll get everything I have together (had I known this was going to continue into a saga I would have been saving every. single. text from day 1) I am so happy that Pricescope exists - I think my FI is SO tired of hearing me complain about this (and I don't mean to be negative and whiny lol) but I knew that PS would understand my frustration and that this is supposed to be a joyful occasion and a wonderful experience, especially when you get to upgrade even before the wedding!! :D but instead this makes me never want to buy jewelry ever again - well, ok... I will never purchase from them again!! Who am I trying to kid here, I LOVE diamonds :D

I think you're on the right track, OP. Since we can't go back in time and "undo" anything, the best thing you can do is to have all of this as your documentation -- because if you don't have documentation, it didn't happen. I'm so glad you do though!!! :praise: You can always go to your cell carrier and have them give you a printed copy of any and all text messages from any phone you have ever had from them.

I would let Kay know that you have full documentation from day 1 of this ordeal. Usually, businesses are would rather handle customer complaints at store level (or that lowest level possible). Good luck, OP! :))

I didn't know that my cell carrier could do that :D I was always under the impression you had to have a court order to get things like that (blonde moment I guess) I'll definitely look into that, between emails and texts I can prove this saga goes back till at least September of last year, and I feel like a year is WAAAYYY too long for this to go on, so I'll use that for now and try to contact my cell provider about the possibility of going back even further! Thank you for you advice!!

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
Sandeek|1385254148|3561863 said:
Post your experience on their Facebook page. Be concise and professional. Usually this approach works wonders, especially the airline business from personal experience.
Good luck!!

Do you think that I should wait to hear back from the DM first? See what his response is? Then if he is unwilling to refund then go to social media sites? I just want to give them a chance to make this right before resorting to a public forum (well, more public than this lol) Or do you think I should go ahead and post something on there before hearing back from him?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Well, you just escalated so maybe give them a chance to resolve before you start blasting social media. Frankly, I am surprised that Kay's even tried to get you an antique stone - seem like they were trying but just failing. Not surprised by the quality of Kay's settings.

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1385254854|3561870 said:
Well, you just escalated so maybe give them a chance to resolve before you start blasting social media. Frankly, I am surprised that Kay's even tried to get you an antique stone - seem like they were trying but just failing. Not surprised by the quality of Kay's settings.

I know... I feel so torn, the sales ladies and assistant manager I worked with went above and beyond time after time to try to get me my dream ring - to no fault of Kays or my FI, I just knew we were in the wrong place to complete my 'dream ring' - but they were so persistent in wanting to make my diamond dreams come true that I continued to try and let them... it was like you said, they were tying, but failing at every corner :/ *sigh* I will wait to hear back from the DM before posting on any (other) public forum... I want to give them the chance to FINALLY make this right and let us walk away. If they turn their heads at this situation or are not prompt with responding... then, I will turn to making a scene. The DM said that we'd hear from him beginning of this coming week... So hopefully by Wednesday I'll have some answers. Im just ready to find my perfect stone and setting and have a ring on this finger so I can marry my love. :love:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
swtnsxy7|1385254584|3561865 said:

I want and don't want to do this... I feel like I want the DM to address the situation and if we don't get a response or get put on the back burner then I will turn to social medial, until then I kind of want to give them a chance to respond - I was timid about posting their name here - but I also don't feel like I've "outed" them yet, as Im still giving them a chance to make this right

As I read each post I was getting my frustrated for you. Then you mentioned kay Jeweler. Just tell DM thank you and run. We will happily direct you with what ever budget you have to PS Vendors that will give you the ring of your dreams that is an actual diamond not a chain store wanna be. Sorry that is harse.

there are thousands of kay jeweler stories. There is one in my family from my 22 year old daughter and i told her after we paid of the credit card they made her open for the piece of junk jewelry she bought.....Never mind.

Be happy Just ask for your money back and open a new thread and start fresh. It will be worth every penny you get back

swtnsxy7

Rough_Rock
heididdl|1385255263|3561873 said:

As I read each post I was getting my frustrated for you. Then you mentioned kay Jeweler. Just tell DM thank you and run. We will happily direct you with what ever budget you have to PS Vendors that will give you the ring of your dreams that is an actual diamond not a chain store wanna be. Sorry that is harse.

there are thousands of kay jeweler stories. There is one in my family from my 22 year old daughter and i told her after we paid of the credit card they made her open for the piece of junk jewelry she bought.....Never mind.

Be happy Just ask for your money back and open a new thread and start fresh. It will be worth every penny you get back

YAY! Thank you!! I will be so ready to ask for all of every ones help here on PS after we get our refund! (fingers crossed) :D I can't wait to have my dream ring on my finger!! Im sorry your daughter had a similar experience :( - I wouldn't have chosen to work with them from the beginning as I've been a PS'er (lurker more than anything) for years, I knew what I was wanting wouldn't come from there - but my FI loved me so much that he bought a ring after we had only been dating 6 months and he wasn't aware of my PS obsession :) (he quickly became aware lol) but now we've been together 4 years this Christmas - just still not married as there is NO ring on my finger! *sigh* someday I guess - thank you for your support an advice!! :D

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
swtnsxy7|1385256704|3561890 said:
heididdl|1385255263|3561873 said:

YAY! Thank you!! I will be so ready to ask for all of every ones help here on PS after we get our refund! (fingers crossed) :D I can't wait to have my dream ring on my finger!! Im sorry your daughter had a similar experience :( - I wouldn't have chosen to work with them from the beginning as I've been a PS'er (lurker more than anything) for years, I knew what I was wanting wouldn't come from there - but my FI loved me so much that he bought a ring after we had only been dating 6 months and he wasn't aware of my PS obsession :) (he quickly became aware lol) but now we've been together 4 years this Christmas - just still not married as there is NO ring on my finger! *sigh* someday I guess - thank you for your support an advice!! :D

:wavey: =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results