shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET on radiant cut

pochequa

Rough_Rock
Hey folks! I am in the process of finding a rectangular radiant cut center stone for an engagement ring. I have been looking online in hopes of cost savings. I'm really new to all this so any advice at all is appreciated, but specifically I am wondering if anyone here can evaluate these ASET images for me. Is one stone better than the other? Are they both good (or bad)? http://imgur.com/a/yo6lC?reg

Also, I have heard that color grade tends to be more noticeable in a radiant cut. I have seen some I color that still look colorless and some that look really yellow, and wonder if I should steer clear of the Near Colorless grades. Thanks!

E B

Ideal_Rock
pochequa|1470182193|4061863 said:
Hey folks! I am in the process of finding a rectangular radiant cut center stone for an engagement ring. I have been looking online in hopes of cost savings. I'm really new to all this so any advice at all is appreciated, but specifically I am wondering if anyone here can evaluate these ASET images for me. Is one stone better than the other? Are they both good (or bad)? http://hosting site images not allowed/a/yo6lC?reg

Also, I have heard that color grade tends to be more noticeable in a radiant cut. I have seen some I color that still look colorless and some that look really yellow, and wonder if I should steer clear of the Near Colorless grades. Thanks!

Your link isn't working for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to post the pictures directly to your post. There is an "upload attachment" under the posting box.

Does she specifically want a radiant only?

pochequa

Rough_Rock
So sorry about that guys. Does this work?

972309.jpg

_37970.jpg

pochequa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1470185395|4061892 said:
Does she specifically want a radiant only?

She specifically wants rectangular. I decided on radiant after several jewelers discouraged me from choosing an emerald cut.

E B

Ideal_Rock
pochequa|1470186706|4061905 said:
So sorry about that guys. Does this work?

Yes! But...I think you can do better. Is there a reason the jewelers pushed you away from an emerald cut? Did your girlfriend just specify rectangular? What size and budget?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I would rather have an emerald cut about 1 million times more than a radiant. Why? Because they are rarely well cut. All that white in the center of that stone is leakage. The red is the most light return and the other colors add a little. I am posting what a stone with great light return looks like. Now other shapes generally won't have the light return of the round below, but you want better than this radiant. I would really urge you to consider emerald cut, and we can help you find a good one. James Allen has a lot of videos of stones online, and they generally have good prices, too.

idealscope_amp_2.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, start a new thread and ask for help finding a good emerald cut. Give your max budget for the diamond alone. People here can help you narrow them down, then you can get the ASET images. I probably wouldn't go below H color for an e-ring in an EC.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't pay attention to those jewelers, emeral cut is ewsy to shop for and lovely.

pochequa

Rough_Rock
The jewelers were of the opinion that the emerald cut gives a more flat appearance (I can't remember their exact words) and that a radiant is more sparkly. I was initially shopping for emerald cuts but that was before I knew radiant cuts existed. I still think the emerald cut is very elegant, but I think my girlfriend would be happier with the radiant's appearance. Of course, I could be wrong, but for now I'm going to focus on finding a decent radiant cut (hopefully!). Both of the stones in the ASET images are from James Allen. I understand the radiant cut will have more light leakage than the other cuts but rather than comparing them to other cuts I'd like to know how these stones compare to other radiants, or to each other. Thanks!

E B

Ideal_Rock
pochequa|1470206066|4061978 said:
The jewelers were of the opinion that the emerald cut gives a more flat appearance (I can't remember their exact words) and that a radiant is more sparkly. I was initially shopping for emerald cuts but that was before I knew radiant cuts existed. I still think the emerald cut is very elegant, but I think my girlfriend would be happier with the radiant's appearance. Of course, I could be wrong, but for now I'm going to focus on finding a decent radiant cut (hopefully!). Both of the stones in the ASET images are from James Allen. I understand the radiant cut will have more light leakage than the other cuts but rather than comparing them to other cuts I'd like to know how these stones compare to other radiants, or to each other. Thanks!

If you think she'd be happier with a radiant, that's great! But the ones you posted ASETs of aren't great. You want to see more red/green and less white/clear, and those two have a lot of white/clear throughout (leakage).

Well-cut rectangular radiants can be harder to find, but they're out there. Here's one with potential (just for example):

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.02-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-138001

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results