shape
carat
color
clarity

As Promised - Photos of my eBay Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Since I couldn't sleep tonight, I decided to hold up my end of the deal to post photos of my gemstone purchases. In my adventures, I discovered how incredibly difficult it is to photograph stones. Everything turned out fuzzy, the lighting was completely off, and the color was off. I didn't try very hard as the lighting is poor in my house and there is nothing much I can do. I was also trying to use a digital slr that didn't have a macro lens. So anyways, here are the photos as they stand. If there are any you want to see specifically, I will try to take better photos at a later time (or bug the boyfriend to take them). Please note that all stones are eye clean and any crap you see on it is literally that.

First up are some of my favourite rounds that I have received.One of these three will go into the setting I posted about at this thread.It is a shame that the photos turned out so bad but the 2 spinels are actually very pretty in real life.The one in the middle is a beautiful pastel purple.The red spinel is actually surprisingly sparkly.

RoundsforSetting.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This one is a close up of the vallejo tourmaline just for Tourmaline_lover. This stone is growing on me.

VallejoTourmaline.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am a huge cushion lover so here are my collection of cushion gemstones. My two favorites from the bunch are the blue sapphire from gemdd and the pink spinel from shopgemstone. These two stones have such gorgeous color in real life. I hope to get them set in legacy inspired settings. The easternee pink spinel was also very nice. I was also happy with the stones from sam_sun_gems although their feedback isn't that great. The pink tourmaline pairs actually a really pretty pink in real life - I am going to have them set as earrings.

CushionGemstones.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
A couple more spinels. The first three you saw in the first post. The last two are new. The settgold one is nice in real life. The gem_cove stone is almost all black but it is actually not cut too badly. I didn''t return it although I am not sure if I will ever do anything with it.

SpinelGemstones.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This photo turned out just awful. I just adore that green tourmaline - it just pulls me to it everytime. The tourmaline from sa,_sun_gems is also pretty nice. The 3 ct topaz is yucky.

MiscStones.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I got lazy to take more photos. Here are the rest of my gemstone collection accumulated through my craziness in the last few months. The obsession has been contained!

RestoftheGemstones.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Throwing a photo of my e-ring in for the lovely colored gemstone ladies. I don''t want to post the e-ring in Show Me the Ring as it is going back for a complete remake in a few weeks. The ring is very lovely and all my family and friends thinks we are nutty for sending it back but both my honey and I don''t love it. It wasn''t what we wanted and there are some details that need to be fixed. This photo was taken by the boyfriend who is a much better photographer than I am. The darkness in the stone isn''t there in real life.

MaytalHannahCushionERing.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
How can I forget ... the required hand pic. The ring was off to a slant on my finger but I only took one. The diamond also looks a little yellow in the photo but I suspect it is reflecting off the walls and carpet. Please excuse the stairs in the background but it was the most well lit area in the house.

BadHandPic.jpg

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
That diamond is a keeper! It sounded like you were starting all over with a new diamond and everything.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 7:14:11 AM
Author: tradergirl
That diamond is a keeper! It sounded like you were starting all over with a new diamond and everything.
We haven''t decided about the diamond yet. I have a special attachment to it and I think it is gorgeous. I have put feelers out to see what we can find - I would like to get back into the E or F range (what we originally wanted) and look at chunky faceted cushions. I don''t know how long it will take to find and I don''t want to hold up the e-ring remake process.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy I love
30.gif
love
30.gif
your Rubellite and if you ever decide you don''t want it, I can give it a good home! I am at my wits end buying Rubellites only to find they look brown under electric light. I want one that stays purple/shiraz red/pink at night. I''ve got a ring that I''m desperate to match with a pendant!

All your gemstones are lovely, the sapphire is another favourite. I adore cushion cuts too and that''s very pretty.

What is it about your e-ring that you don''t like? Just being curious because I think if you and your OH aren''t happy with it then it should be changed BUT I do love the central diamond. Perhaps in another setting it would speak to you more?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 9:39:40 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Charmy I love
30.gif
love
30.gif
your Rubellite and if you ever decide you don''t want it, I can give it a good home! I am at my wits end buying Rubellites only to find they look brown under electric light. I want one that stays purple/shiraz red/pink at night. I''ve got a ring that I''m desperate to match with a pendant!
I was going to trade the Rubelite but the more I look at it the more I love the color. If I change my mind, I will let you know. The seller is the cutter and he listed a bunch of stones the last few days. I may buy another one from him even though I said no more. I have been pleased with the stones he has sold but they are usually pretty small stones.

What is it about your e-ring that you don''t like? Just being curious because I think if you and your OH aren''t happy with it then it should be changed BUT I do love the central diamond. Perhaps in another setting it would speak to you more?
We have discussed it with the designer and she is wonderful. She is going to remake the setting for us so this setting is going to be no more. I should take more photos for memory sake but I am glad that I discussed it with the bf first. He delayed his proposal plans but everything is out of the bag to our familiies.

The setting is just not what we envisioned. We wanted something really dainty with tiny splits and different curves to the whole ring (the bf created a whole document highlighting some of the changes). Something similar to Harriet''s Red Spinel ring and the Henri Daussi split shanks. I am also pretty picky about prongs and overall workmanship. The prongs are all different sizes right now with one that is double the size (bottom right corner). I am hoping we end up with something more Leon Mege like if that is even possible. There are also some symmetry issues with the basket and how our pink diamonds are set in the basket.

I just want to stress that the designer is great and she is willing to do what it takes to make us happy. I feel bad about posting pre-maturily and seemingly complaining about the setting. I should have waited until everything was fixed but at the same time feel that it is important to share our experience for others going the custom route. It isn''t always smooth sailing especially for many of the nit picky PS members.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2008 3:46:36 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
This one is a close up of the vallejo tourmaline just for Tourmaline_lover. This stone is growing on me.
Charmy,
Wow, that's a great tourmaline, and I love the fancy cut!! Thank you so much for going to all the trouble to take such great pictures and even put descriptions with each of them. You have a wonderful gemstone collection, and your e-ring is beautiful, as well as your hand with the long skinny fingers and nice manicure. I'm jealous, I used to have long skinny fingers before I had twins and a third baby.
emcrook.gif

How do you like the seller easternnee? A long time ago, I purchased a pear shaped cuprian tourmaline from him that I love. It's small, but it's a very bright color. I see you have a few stones from him.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Charmy--your ering cushion is lovely. How will you remake the ring? I too would like a chunky cushion to replace another stone of mine. Love those chunksters! You have quite a cs collection--very cool!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2008 10:18:58 AM

Charmy I love
30.gif
love
30.gif
I was going to trade the Rubelite but the more I look at it the more I love the color. If I change my mind, I will let you know. The seller is the cutter and he listed a bunch of stones the last few days. I may buy another one from him even though I said no more. I have been pleased with the stones he has sold but they are usually pretty small stones.

We have discussed it with the designer and she is wonderful. She is going to remake the setting for us so this setting is going to be no more. I should take more photos for memory sake but I am glad that I discussed it with the bf first. He delayed his proposal plans but everything is out of the bag to our familiies.

The setting is just not what we envisioned. We wanted something really dainty with tiny splits and different curves to the whole ring (the bf created a whole document highlighting some of the changes). Something similar to Harriet''s Red Spinel ring and the Henri Daussi split shanks. I am also pretty picky about prongs and overall workmanship. The prongs are all different sizes right now with one that is double the size (bottom right corner). I am hoping we end up with something more Leon Mege like if that is even possible. There are also some symmetry issues with the basket and how our pink diamonds are set in the basket.

I just want to stress that the designer is great and she is willing to do what it takes to make us happy. I feel bad about posting pre-maturily and seemingly complaining about the setting. I should have waited until everything was fixed but at the same time feel that it is important to share our experience for others going the custom route. It isn''t always smooth sailing especially for many of the nit picky PS members.
Actually I agree with you - it doesn''t look as delicate as some settings I''ve seen. Having said that it''s an awesome ring but I think with more a more fluid thinner shank (and your modifications to the claws) it will look stunning. I wouldn''t be tempted to change the central stone though because I think it may be the setting that''s making you not go "WOW".

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charmy, What a wonderful collection you have, the stones are beautiful. Thank you so much for posting them.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 10:38:31 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

How do you like the seller easternnee? A long time ago, I purchased a pear shaped cuprian tourmaline from him that I love. It''s small, but it''s a very bright color. I see you have a few stones from him.
I had no problems with his stones. They are exactly as he photographed on his auction which is all I expected. I didn''t buy expensive stones or great stones from him but they are very nice. I find that the stones I paid more for were actually much nicer than the cheap ones. Hehe .. that sounds really obvious.

I cannot recommend thaigemstore since they really overdo photoshopping thier photos. I couldn''t even recognize the stone when I received it but they prompty provided a partial refund. I would have returned the stone for a full refund if I hadn''t lost it during the process.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 12:01:50 PM

Actually I agree with you - it doesn''t look as delicate as some settings I''ve seen. Having said that it''s an awesome ring but I think with more a more fluid thinner shank (and your modifications to the claws) it will look stunning. I wouldn''t be tempted to change the central stone though because I think it may be the setting that''s making you not go ''WOW''.
I appreciate your honest comments. I wanted a shank that is 1.8 mm at the thickest. This one is over 3 mm which I find very overwhelming on my finger. I also wanted swooping and flowing lines which is not what it is. I think this is a great setting but just not the setting I wanted. I will see what to do with the center stone - it will be very hard to find something that beats the current specs but I asked anyways.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG....look at all those gorgeous stones!!! And I love your e-ring, but you are the one that needs to be happy with it. Please come back and show us the new one, though!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG what a spectacular collection, and I just ADORE the e-ring too - that stone is TDF. I can''t wait to see how the re-set goes, and also to see some of those yummy colored stones all set
18.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2008 2:07:17 PM

Date: 12/31/2008 10:38:31 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

How do you like the seller easternnee? A long time ago, I purchased a pear shaped cuprian tourmaline from him that I love. It''s small, but it''s a very bright color. I see you have a few stones from him.
I had no problems with his stones. They are exactly as he photographed on his auction which is all I expected. I didn''t buy expensive stones or great stones from him but they are very nice. I find that the stones I paid more for were actually much nicer than the cheap ones. Hehe .. that sounds really obvious.

I cannot recommend thaigemstore since they really overdo photoshopping thier photos. I couldn''t even recognize the stone when I received it but they prompty provided a partial refund. I would have returned the stone for a full refund if I hadn''t lost it during the process.
I agree, and I believe their videos are enhanced as well.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2008 2:11:53 PM

Date: 12/31/2008 12:01:50 PM

Actually I agree with you - it doesn''t look as delicate as some settings I''ve seen. Having said that it''s an awesome ring but I think with more a more fluid thinner shank (and your modifications to the claws) it will look stunning. I wouldn''t be tempted to change the central stone though because I think it may be the setting that''s making you not go ''WOW''.
I appreciate your honest comments. I wanted a shank that is 1.8 mm at the thickest. This one is over 3 mm which I find very overwhelming on my finger. I also wanted swooping and flowing lines which is not what it is. I think this is a great setting but just not the setting I wanted. I will see what to do with the center stone - it will be very hard to find something that beats the current specs but I asked anyways.
I think the vision you have sounds wonderful. I know exactly how it feels to be less than happy with a project and I''m so glad the vendor will change it for you.

I''m having a pear (with halo and diamonds on the shank) made at the moment and I almost cried when I saw the CADS, there was nothing delicate about the image (even allowing for the thickness of CADs). It took 4 or 5 goes and then an actual drawing to get it right. Even when you''re so explicit that you want X, it can be interpreted as Y can''t it?

I can''t wait to see how your ring changes - as I now have a mental image as to what it should be like!!!! BTW do you have any pictures of the pinks in the head? I''d love to see them.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stones Charmypoo! I like how you did a lay out of them and labeled each stone with specs and who they came from!

YOur ering is gorgeous....... I hope that the redo will be everything you want it to be and MORE!!!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 3:56:31 AM
I got lazy to take more photos. Here are the rest of my gemstone collection accumulated through my craziness in the last few months. The obsession has been contained!

CP, that is an amazing collection of gems that you have!!! GORGEOUS
30.gif
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, that ring looks gorgeous to me, but I am so glad Maytal is willing to remake it to suit you! Sure you don''t want to keep that setting for one of your gemstones?!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great collection of gemstones. Your ring is lovely.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Charmypoo, for taking the time to post all you stones. You have such a extended, wonderful collection!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 2:40:17 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Gosh, that ring looks gorgeous to me, but I am so glad Maytal is willing to remake it to suit you! Sure you don''t want to keep that setting for one of your gemstones?!
Maytal is wonderful and very easy to work with. I would keep the setting if it was free :razz: but I am sure she would want to recoup the diamonds and platinum for the remake.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 12:43:43 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
Beautiful stones Charmypoo! I like how you did a lay out of them and labeled each stone with specs and who they came from!
I have printed out all the auction pages for the stones. I tend to forget what is what so I had to start labelling them. When I have time, I will match up good actual photos with the ebay photos. I think it will be helpful for others to start understanding how to purchase gemstones on ebay and how to compare photos.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 8:21:07 PM

I can't wait to see how your ring changes - as I now have a mental image as to what it should be like!!!! BTW do you have any pictures of the pinks in the head? I'd love to see them.
I am a little embarassed to post this photo. The pink diamonds didn't turn out well - we can't barely see them. In the reset, we will be requesting bigger diamonds (the size wasn't discussed and we assumed it will be like the Daniel K split crown) and set it more like the Daniel K ring. Looks like the ring can use some polishing as well.

RingProfileSidePink.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results