shape
carat
color
clarity

Art Deco Inspired Ringdant with EC Imperial Topaz from Jeff White

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am likely to set my EC Imperial Topaz from Jeff in 2022, however, I thought I should start planning how it should be set.

It is a good size and shape to be set as a glamorous ringdant, being 9.23ct, measuring 14.22 x 8.58mm!

Here is a glamour shot of the stone itself:

JW_ImperialPinkTopaz_TPZ037.jpg

Here are the crude 2D drawings for my design ideas with an Art Deco theme, after trawling the likes of Lang's, Christies and the internet:

DK_Ringdant#1.PNG DK_Ringdant#2.PNG DK_Ringdant#3.PNG DK_Ringdant#4.PNG

The bail is likely to be an upside down teardrop (TBC), with no millgrain; size 10 US to be worn on my left hand middle finger, otherwise it would not sit straight if worn on my LH ring finger.

The white areas will be paved with diamonds, with single round stones for the circles.

I may consider using ocean blue round CS like Aquamarine, Zircon or Sapphire instead of diamonds to bring out the pink in the Topaz.

Design #3 is my current favourite, followed by #2. No doubt there will be other ideas between now and 2022!

Please feel free to critique and suggest your ideas.

The design brief is that it has to be Art Deco inspired, no millgrain with a plain shank, and suitable to be made and worn as a ringdant.

Have fun, and thanks for your help in advance!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 followed by 1.
As much as I like the flower design in 3 and 4, it doesn't seem consistent with the time period. I love the negative space in between the metal in 2 as well.

Thanks for that.

The lines of the fan elements in #1 and #2 are likely to extend to close the gaps while leaving spaces in between.

I like #1, however, it looks too much like a pineapple at the mo!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I couldn't decide. I love all four designs and think you can't go wrong with any of them.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know if it would be possible to do this, but there’s a ring I saw on Pinterest that I’ve been obsessed with, and I wonder if it could be modified to fit your stone?

CE6FA80D-318B-4FD7-B8D4-078323FD3DF1.jpeg Cool project btw! The stone is beautiful!

Thank you!

That is a great design for an OEC, however, the curves may be lost with a rectangular stone on the shoulders.

I shall save this design in my inspiration ring folder for OEC and rounds, most likely to have Ruby or Emerald as accent stones rather than Sapphire though.

Thank you!

That is a great design for an OEC, however, the curves may be lost with a rectangular stone on the shoulders.

I shall save this design in my inspiration ring folder for OEC and rounds, most likely to have Ruby or Emerald as accent stones rather than Sapphire though.

I was thinking about this as well, that it might not translate to an EC the way it would for a round or a cushion. i think the ring would look great with any colour accent stones - maybe even something like black onyx could be cool, for a future project!

looking at your earlier designs which I just realised I forgot to comment on - I also like #3 the best, followed by #2!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, I like #3 and #5. I don’t know much about the time period but the designs looks beautiful. That imperial topaz is gorgeous!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one #6, more angular and less curvy:

DK_Ringdant#6.PNG

Module

Shiny_Rock
#5 looks best to me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the pendant setting ideas that I have in mind for this stone:

694bf55951274a405aa6b9c46c5affafa.jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l1600a.jpg

I particularly like the last one, however, the open design may not suit a ringdant. :confused2:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Another one #6, more angular and less curvy:

DK_Ringdant#6.PNG

Art deco inspiration. It usually combines both the linear of number 6 with a couple of contrasting sweeping lines. I think everything you have here is lovely. I am partial to this one.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like 1 and 6 @dk168

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
OOooh,
#5, #6 and #1 are cooking with gas! The color combos that could be had!
I am excited to see this when it happens. You are going to have a knockout.
I just need patience 8-)

voce

Ideal_Rock
#6, then #2. I am also a little concerned #1 looks a little like a pineapple. I think it would be neat if the top and bottom were triangular and turned the rectangle into a stylized Marquis shape. I don't agree that you can't possible go wrong because #4 has too much going on at the sides and would detract from the beautiful vertical flashes of light the stone reflects. Very fun thread and many more options to play around with.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1-5 say Egyptian revival to me, although I don't really know what that is.

No. 6 is spectacular, but very contemporary and nothing like your inspiration photos.

All 6 look great, as do the photos. The trick is to have a design that works for both a ring and a pendant. Thank goodness you have a whole year to decide. :mrgreen2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#6, then #2. I am also a little concerned #1 looks a little like a pineapple. I think it would be neat if the top and bottom were triangular and turned the rectangle into a stylized Marquis shape. I don't agree that you can't possible go wrong because #4 has too much going on at the sides and would detract from the beautiful vertical flashes of light the stone reflects. Very fun thread and many more options to play around with.

I *think* I know what you meant re: the rectangle, as in the trapezoids on the shoulders perhaps?

Shall have a play with changing the pineapple elements into triangles more like a fan.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am likely to set my EC Imperial Topaz from Jeff in 2022, however, I thought I should start planning how it should be set.

It is a good size and shape to be set as a glamorous ringdant, being 9.23ct, measuring 14.22 x 8.58mm!

Here is a glamour shot of the stone itself:

JW_ImperialPinkTopaz_TPZ037.jpg

Here are the crude 2D drawings for my design ideas with an Art Deco theme, after trawling the likes of Lang's, Christies and the internet:

DK_Ringdant#1.PNG DK_Ringdant#2.PNG DK_Ringdant#3.PNG DK_Ringdant#4.PNG

The bail is likely to be an upside down teardrop (TBC), with no millgrain; size 10 US to be worn on my left hand middle finger, otherwise it would not sit straight if worn on my LH ring finger.

The white areas will be paved with diamonds, with single round stones for the circles.

I may consider using ocean blue round CS like Aquamarine, Zircon or Sapphire instead of diamonds to bring out the pink in the Topaz.

Design #3 is my current favourite, followed by #2. No doubt there will be other ideas between now and 2022!

Please feel free to critique and suggest your ideas.

The design brief is that it has to be Art Deco inspired, no millgrain with a plain shank, and suitable to be made and worn as a ringdant.

Have fun, and thanks for your help in advance!

What a beautiful stone
everything about it is DDG :kiss2: :appl: :kiss2: :appl: :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't fit the Marquise into the drawing, however, I have modified the pineapple element into a fan:

DK_Ringdant#7.PNG

And I just have another idea!

DK :lol-2:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your topaz and #3 :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone @dk168
I love option 2.
No 6 is also very pretty but I am afraid your ring will get stuck in fussy sweaters

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#8 and I like this one:

DK_Ringdant#8.PNG

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone @dk168
I love option 2.
No 6 is also very pretty but I am afraid your ring will get stuck in fussy sweaters

That's fine, as I hate wearing fussy sweaters/woolly jumpers!

DK :lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
It's an amazing stone and I love looking at your design iterations. My own taste is to be bold, and so I lean towards your designs that are the maximum expression of the idea you are playing with. For art deco, #6 and #5 and #1, for floral #4.

Before I add some suggestions, how wide are you comfortable with the top being? I feel like in size 10 you have more horizontal room, BUT I am biased because I wear a lot of rings wider than my fingers including my engagement ring.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's an amazing stone and I love looking at your design iterations. My own taste is to be bold, and so I lean towards your designs that are the maximum expression of the idea you are playing with. For art deco, #6 and #5 and #1, for floral #4.

Before I add some suggestions, how wide are you comfortable with the top being? I feel like in size 10 you have more horizontal room, BUT I am biased because I wear a lot of rings wider than my fingers including my engagement ring.

I would prefer for the ring not to extend too far beyond the width of my finger which is about 20mm.

And thanks for joining in the fun in advance!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
My contribution so far... grown up coloring. :)

I use a lot of "crop to shape" in powerpoint to mock up designs from photos.

1606180415615.png

To scale in your design, these are the stone sizes that fit:

2 2.2mm cornflower sapphires
2 1.8mm cornflower sapphires
2 1.8mm diamonds
4 1.5mm diamonds
4 1mm diamonds

I think your designs could benefit from getting slightly bigger because you could fit more visually striking stones. If this design were a bit larger the sides of the design could take 1mm diamonds and the larger stones in the big elements would get more visually striking.

One of the things I looked at is how to surround your stone with a design that creates a golden rectangle. It's really close to golden rectangle anyway so any design that preserves similar dimensions does it. All of your designs are close to the golden rectangle.

1606180718511.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results