shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is a picture in our UK news this morning of people commuting in London. Rammed in nose to nose on the Tube, many not wearing face masks! :blackeye: This is concerning!

28334630-8314303-image-a-54_1589357795471.jpg

That is alarming. The person in charge of the NYC subway system was speaking yesterday during the daily Cuomo press conference and it doesn't seem there is a clear plan once the subways start becoming more busy. Right now they are only at 10% ridership capacity so social distancing is easy. Once more riders start using it there is no clear plan in place to keep everyone safe. :/

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@missy , yes the 10% capacity applied to us too with advice on queuing and only allowing limited numbers on board. The photos were the same for the buses as well!
It is very alarming! Coupled with the lifted restrictions on travelling etc. ::)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now they are only at 10% ridership capacity so social distancing is easy. Once more riders start using it there is no clear plan in place to keep everyone safe. :/

I doubt that it's possible to keep anyone safe once ridership increases. How would that happen? Armed guards at entrances and exits with counters allowing only a certain # of people in at a time? Requiring all riders to wear face masks and turning them away if they don't comply? Sheesh, what a mess and it's just one of many logistical problems to confront in densely populated areas.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt that it's possible to keep anyone safe once ridership increases. How would that happen? Armed guards at entrances and exits with counters allowing only a certain # of people in at a time? Requiring all riders to wear face masks and turning them away if they don't comply? Sheesh, what a mess and it's just one of many logistical problems to confront in densely populated areas.

I agree. I don’t see a way to keep riders safe once the number of people taking the subway increase.

Right now we drive where we need to go. But it’s not practical long term especially once everyone is back on the roads in NYC.

It’s a huge mess.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, same goes for the UK. Our government have told people to walk or cycle to work and avoid public transport if possible. But also that people need to start getting back to work in a phased way. :think:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, same goes for the UK. Our government have told people to walk or cycle to work and avoid public transport if possible. But also that people need to start getting back to work in a phased way. :think:

Cycling to work in NYC is dangerous IMO. Before Covid 19 the stats on cycling deaths here were staggering. And getting worse. Link below.

Interestingly (and not surprisingly) pedestrian deaths have gone down dramatically since automotive traffic has decreased.

Surpisingly (to me) cycling deaths have gone up since Coronavirus.

"Cyclist injuries were up 43 percent between March 9 and March 15, according to NYPD statistics, an increase that comes after Mayor de Blasio urged people to bike to work yet did not build any new protected infrastructure to handle the surge of new riders."

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH is trying to work. This is his third day. Yesterday was rough, but that is not clear how much was real from being sick and how much was a reaction to stress. His company does self evaluation and manager reviews twice a year so he had to do that. It is stressful in the best of times so being so tired and weak still couldn't have helped.

HR never did call. He is opening a ticket in their system himself no to see if that helps. (Original was a friend who works there too. HR said they would call me so DH didn't have to be monitoring his work email at his sickest.) They have a massive backlog. If they are doing STD retroactively, that would be great. We have been trying for weeks to reach them so definitely not our fault paperwork not done. Otherwise, DH used every bit of sick time and vacation time plus we will owe them a few days worth of pay.

Anyway, hoping he can manage okay. He needs something to push him to go rather than just melt into the couch!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH is trying to work. This is his third day. Yesterday was rough, but that is not clear how much was real from being sick and how much was a reaction to stress. His company does self evaluation and manager reviews twice a year so he had to do that. It is stressful in the best of times so being so tired and weak still couldn't have helped.

HR never did call. He is opening a ticket in their system himself no to see if that helps. (Original was a friend who works there too. HR said they would call me so DH didn't have to be monitoring his work email at his sickest.) They have a massive backlog. If they are doing STD retroactively, that would be great. We have been trying for weeks to reach them so definitely not our fault paperwork not done. Otherwise, DH used every bit of sick time and vacation time plus we will owe them a few days worth of pay.

Anyway, hoping he can manage okay. He needs something to push him to go rather than just melt into the couch!

I wish your husband good luck, TooPatient.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I check the NYS site daily to see how we are progressing with the measurements in each category. IMO the crowded subways and buses are what got us into this major mess to begin with. If absolutely EVERYONE wears masks at all times while down there/on a bus it will help to an extent but there will always be people who won't. I'm hoping that people "police" each other and we will be able to keep it in control. Since I only commute from LI to BK I drive thankfully, but community spread is very real as we all know. I'm honestly terrified of schools reopening.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH had an email from the big boss at the company he works at. They will be on mandatory work from home until at least October. I guess the buildings are even locked up tight with no one but security personnel having access.

Another of the big companies in the area also announced work from home until at least October. Looks like others may be following.

Given what they do, working from home is very possible. I mean, sit at a computer all day. Most of their meetings were already virtual as the team has members three different US states plus two other countries. Most were already set up to easily work from home so it was minimally disruptive. Others were authorized to bring equipment home if needed.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@TooPatient How's that going to work out for you guys? How does your husband feel about it?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient How's that going to work out for you guys? How does your husband feel about it?

He already had a set up in our home office that was as good or better than what he had in his office at work. Our internet connection is as fast as they have at the building. His chair is more comfortable. Espresso machine, endless supply of hot tea, clean bathroom... What more could you want? His area of the project has him working with other software guys in Alaska, Texas, Romania, and China. Not much of a change in his work day.

Since my back injury last year, I have been most comfortable working on homework in the living room on my laptop. It allows me more flexibility for getting comfortable. We'd probably be a lot more cramped and struggling to get stuff done if we were both trying to work in the office. Aside from a bit of sound carrying from my class videos or his meetings, there is very little conflict that way.

I think both of us would quite happily keep doing work from home indefinitely. DH has already talked about opting to keep working from home even after they open the buildings to those who want to go in.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@TooPatient Glad this is a good option for you both.
My husband tried working from home and it was really impossible as my son has additional needs.
So he has volunteered for furlough on full pay and is looking at returning in June/July when they have adapted the office fully for social distancing. Most of the staff will work from home and there will be a small core team in the office.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient Glad this is a good option for you both.
My husband tried working from home and it was really impossible as my son has additional needs.
So he has volunteered for furlough on full pay and is looking at returning in June/July when they have adapted the office fully for social distancing. Most of the staff will work from home and there will be a small core team in the office.

That would definitely make it more challenging! I know a lot of people are having more challenges while trying to work from home. His team has mostly adapted pretty well but I know a few people in other groups who had a tough time. They all have at least two 38" 4k monitors for their computers at work and need the space to work. Shifting to a laptop has been hard for some. (DH has desktop machines with newer hardware and one large 4k screen (48"?) plus another around 35".)

I have thought about how lucky we are to be so we'll set up and not have any added complications with kids home from school or special needs kids who don't understand why dad can't come play right now. We have friends struggling with both of those so I know it isn't easy!

ETA: So glad your husband had those options available. I hope he enjoys his time at home and the office is safe and comfortable when they open it for him!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are people surprising you in this crisis?

I don't know whether it's making people re evaluate their life choices or causing some sort of instant reaction but some people have really surprised me.

Last year my son did not have the best teacher. She was renowned for taking days off, all sorts of days off at any given time of the year.

We fully expected her to vanish as soon as the pandemic was declared. It would have been perfectly legitimate too since she's an older lady and would be in the "at risk" category.

But no. She's been there the whole time according to other parents on my chat! This morning she was cheerily greeting the kids as they came into school (we've been told to go back one day a week on our designated day)! She's usually completely disinterested!

She's involved in the development of worksheets for my son's grade (to facilitate home learning) and was sending him some lovely emails because my son's current teacher showed her some of my son's work/emails. We never heard from her when he was actually in her class last year!!!

It's just really surprising the way people behave!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy I check the NYS site daily to see how we are progressing with the measurements in each category. IMO the crowded subways and buses are what got us into this major mess to begin with. If absolutely EVERYONE wears masks at all times while down there/on a bus it will help to an extent but there will always be people who won't. I'm hoping that people "police" each other and we will be able to keep it in control. Since I only commute from LI to BK I drive thankfully, but community spread is very real as we all know. I'm honestly terrified of schools reopening.
Also keeping close eye on how different areas are progressing (Long Island, NYC, NJ) since I live in LI too and used to commute to both NYC and NJ. NJ days were either train to Penn then shuttle bus from the NY office, or drive 2 1/2 hours. Due to recent injury I definitely won't be doing long drives which means ill have to rely on public transportation, and worried how things will work out if my company decides to open the NJ office which majority of people drive to. Having to go through NYC will definitely be high risk IMO.

South Korea started implementing and enforcing a mask rule in their subways, no mask no ride. Today was the first day I believe and I'm hearing it went pretty well. But I have a hard time believing NYers being that compliant to any rules, virus or not. Time will tell how we managed to go back to the "new normal".

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the subway could enforce masks for entry but hard to stop people from taking them off when onboard. Although if it’s nyc I think the large majority would be compliant.

In other areas with less mask buy in, might be easier to have masks v nonmask cars and people who don’t want to wear masks can just pile on with one another. I don’t think it’s any less ethical than smoking and nonsmoking designated areas. If you choose to ignore science and increase the risk to your health and others, fine, then you can do it over there away from me.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been disgusted by the number of people urging others to refuse to wear a mask. If required to wear one, they are suggesting people claim to have a disability or medical issue so that the store or whatever isn't allowed to make them wear one or ask for any kind of details about what they have so no way to confirm. (I understand some may have medical reasons why they can't wear. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with lying and breaking rules but claiming to have an issue they don't.) Others have passed on that it is super easy to just poke holes in the mask that are small enough to not be obvious but large enough to comfortably breathe.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want it all to just go away! I am tired. DH's manager is being a pain. The cat food I usually get is less available now plus monthly purchase limits through Amazon. School is crazy busy and I feel overwhelmed as if I don't pass both classes, I don't graduate for another year and we may find ourselves needing me working as it looks very likely DH will be looking for a new position in the near future.

Funny thing is that I am actually reasonably content. Just his management chain making life so miserable.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the subway could enforce masks for entry but hard to stop people from taking them off when onboard. Although if it’s nyc I think the large majority would be compliant.

In other areas with less mask buy in, might be easier to have masks v nonmask cars and people who don’t want to wear masks can just pile on with one another. I don’t think it’s any less ethical than smoking and nonsmoking designated areas. If you choose to ignore science and increase the risk to your health and others, fine, then you can do it over there away from me.

I think who is compliant varies wildly depending on the specific neighborhood. I would not trust riding the subway in NYC. I believe there will be far too many who will refuse to wear masks and our politicians have already said they cannot possibly reinforce mask usage.

I have been disgusted by the number of people urging others to refuse to wear a mask.

Sad. All around. Selfish and stupid are (potentially) a deadly combination.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He already had a set up in our home office that was as good or better than what he had in his office at work. Our internet connection is as fast as they have at the building. His chair is more comfortable. Espresso machine, endless supply of hot tea, clean bathroom... What more could you want? His area of the project has him working with other software guys in Alaska, Texas, Romania, and China. Not much of a change in his work day.

Since my back injury last year, I have been most comfortable working on homework in the living room on my laptop. It allows me more flexibility for getting comfortable. We'd probably be a lot more cramped and struggling to get stuff done if we were both trying to work in the office. Aside from a bit of sound carrying from my class videos or his meetings, there is very little conflict that way.

I think both of us would quite happily keep doing work from home indefinitely. DH has already talked about opting to keep working from home even after they open the buildings to those who want to go in.

Yes, if you can work from home that is the (only) safe option for who knows how long. @TooPatient I am glad you and B can continue to WFH.

My dh is also WFH but their office has a planned move in August and they all must get into the office to pack up their belongings for the move. Needless to say I am not thrilled Greg has to go into the office but he will drive there from our beach house and go during off hours when hopefully the area is less populated and pack up things and leave. But yeah not happy he has to go in to do this. They got a long email though stating that if they want to they may work from home for at least the foreseeable future. No date was mentioned as to when they had to start going into the office.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I want it all to just go away! I am tired. DH's manager is being a pain. The cat food I usually get is less available now plus monthly purchase limits through Amazon. School is crazy busy and I feel overwhelmed as if I don't pass both classes, I don't graduate for another year and we may find ourselves needing me working as it looks very likely DH will be looking for a new position in the near future.

Funny thing is that I am actually reasonably content. Just his management chain making life so miserable.
The Lord has this!
Prayers outgoing.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your faith cheers me, Karl.
I try, its not always easy.
How are things going with Matt? Did he get into the docs?
I am sorry I have not been asking more.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try, its not always easy.
How are things going with Matt? Did he get into the docs?
I am sorry I have not been asking more.

He never went, but I think his symptoms must have lessened. Yesterday he went back to doing fencing work off the books for his former boss who called him after months of inactivity. This is a day to day thing, however. No work is guaranteed. He never finished painting my fence..

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are both heading in for antibody testing. His manager (and 2nd line manager) are being disgusting about this. He has been told to work with HR to get on short term disability and if he can't get it back to March, his evaluation will be based on him not working. (Which standard action is mandatory performance plan in preparation of firing.)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are both heading in for antibody testing. His manager (and 2nd line manager) are being disgusting about this. He has been told to work with HR to get on short term disability and if he can't get it back to March, his evaluation will be based on him not working. (Which standard action is mandatory performance plan in preparation of firing.)

Are there no protections in any of the new laws passed by Congress? If antibody testing proves covid19 will you have any protection?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results