shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari @Alex T Totally agree, I'm very suspicious. Also, according to global estimates, just over 100 people have died. But they are quarantining 60 MILLION people? Something isn't adding up for sure.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the Chinese government knew, or at least suspected, what seems to have been confirmed in the press in the last day or so - that you can be infectious before being symptomatic. So the screening that was going on at airports last week (testing for temperature etc) wasn’t likely to contain the spread. Only a mass lock-down would help in that scenario, which seems to be the expanding Chinese approach now.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disgusting that this is allowed to happen when it's supposed to be illegal. Quite openly in a public market? Yeah, really enforcing the no wild animal trading laws :think:
There's nothing illegal in China.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@lissyflo you are right. As a nurse I was thinking could this virus be contagious before symptoms show? Also, what is the incubation period (time between contracting the virus and when symptoms show)? :cry:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I worry about my usual contact and his colleagues at the eBay Chinese vendor that I use for custom pieces.

They broke up around 20 January for their annual Chinese New Year holiday, and I have not heard from them since!

DK :(

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo you are right. As a nurse I was thinking could this virus be contagious before symptoms show? Also, what is the incubation period (time between contracting the virus and when symptoms show)? :cry:

The first human-to-human infection case in Germany was reported today - the Chinese lady who spread the infection was apparantly well on arrival in Germany and on leaving to return to China, but how long she’d been in Germany wasn’t reported (so no info on the incubation period). Worst case would be a hugely long incubation period (like say the two/three weeks for chickenpox, as opposed to the shorter period normal for colds/flus etc) combined with being infectious before symptoms show. Given all the travel restrictions China is imposing and the emergency hospital builds, I wonder if they’re working on that assumption and expecting a significant snowballing of infections?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I worry about my usual contact and his colleagues at the eBay Chinese vendor that I use for custom pieces.

They broke up around 20 January for their annual Chinese New Year holiday, and I have not heard from them since!

Are they in a locked down city? Fingers crossed that they’re just hunkering down and not replying to work emails if they can’t move around as freely as normal to carry out new work.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Google says the incubation period is 14 days, so definitely on the longer side.

voce

Ideal_Rock
There's nothing illegal in China.

On the contrary, I believe anything can be illegal in China. Even joining a Facebook group. The government just has a lot of freedom as to what to prosecute. Laws can be changed overnight to suit government law enforcement.

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
I'm not freaking out but I am concerned. Once it was confirmed it could jump from person to person, my attention picked up.

We live in South Dakota, a fly over fairly isolated state. But a colleague just returned from travel abroad on Monday and she's SICK! And she keeps coming to work and coughing everywhere, I do not respect people who work "even when they're sick" as if that shows how committed they are to the job. And we don't work in the kind of place where you'll lose your job if you actually take time off due to illness. She joked that the dr tested her for the Corona virus because of her recent travels. I was not amused and encouraged her to go cough in someone else's office. I don't have faith that the information coming out of China is accurate but I'm sadly becoming a bit of a cynic these days and I'm not sure I always believe what I hear coming from our own government agencies.

For those whose families are affected or live in areas near the outbreaks, I hope you and yours are well protected and safe.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they in a locked down city? Fingers crossed that they’re just hunkering down and not replying to work emails if they can’t move around as freely as normal to carry out new work.

I don't remember where he lives, however, like a lot of people from rural areas, he works and lives in a city, and takes a long break around CNY to go visit his family.

DK :((

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't remember where he lives, however, like a lot of people from rural areas, he works and lives in a city, and takes a long break around CNY to go visit his family.

He is probably better off at home though, its bound to be a quieter place and there has been talk about quarantining shenzhen so it is probably not a safer place than his home town at the moment.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is probably better off at home though, its bound to be a quieter place and there has been talk about quarantining shenzhen so it is probably not a safer place than his home town at the moment.

Indeed.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a number of Coronavirus strains around, it’s not a new virus. SARS is also a strain of Coranavirus which had a particularly high mortality rate. SARS had a 34% mortality rate.
Hey Bron!

I was looking up on the SARS virus and it looks like it had a lower mortality rate than 34% - the CDC/WHO are stating:
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a total of 8,098 people worldwide became sick with SARS during the 2003 outbreak. Of these, 774 died.
(https://www.cdc.gov/sars/about/fs-sars.html)

so it looks like around 10%?

Still not great, lol, and more than the current strain of coronavirus!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just received a message from my brother that my mum is deferring her trip to HK until later in the year.

DK :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read that an Australian lab have managed to grow the virus which might help in the development of a vaccine.

@SparkleC hope your coworker feels better, but honestly, she should be staying home!

They are saying they almost have a vaccine developed they are pooping it a bit here in Australia (because we are in easy flying distance and have a lot of Asian travellers into Australia), so much so the government is putting people travelling from effected parts of China into Australia in quarantine off shore for 14 days and our schools have issued warnings any student that has come back from there should stay at home for 14 days too.....

I can't remember our Government (Australia) putting travellers from other countries like China, in quarantines off shore in recent times due to health threats, so they clearly are expecting it to be bad, and are not taking any chances...

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not freaking out but I am concerned. Once it was confirmed it could jump from person to person, my attention picked up.

We live in South Dakota, a fly over fairly isolated state. But a colleague just returned from travel abroad on Monday and she's SICK! And she keeps coming to work and coughing everywhere, I do not respect people who work "even when they're sick" as if that shows how committed they are to the job. And we don't work in the kind of place where you'll lose your job if you actually take time off due to illness. She joked that the dr tested her for the Corona virus because of her recent travels. I was not amused and encouraged her to go cough in someone else's office. I don't have faith that the information coming out of China is accurate but I'm sadly becoming a bit of a cynic these days and I'm not sure I always believe what I hear coming from our own government agencies.

For those whose families are affected or live in areas near the outbreaks, I hope you and yours are well protected and safe.

I parked for a company that despite giving us 10 sick days a year was really hard on sick leave
Pressure was put on management and employees were flagged if they had more than 5 days
we got this terrible virus while i was on leave and i got a doctors note for another week - it was like i was steeling from the company

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are saying they almost have a vaccine developed they are pooping it a bit here in Australia (because we are in easy flying distance and have a lot of Asian travellers into Australia), so much so the government is putting people travelling from effected parts of China into Australia in quarantine off shore for 14 days and our schools have issued warnings any student that has come back from there should stay at home for 14 days too.....

I can't remember our Government (Australia) putting travellers from other countries like China, in quarantines off shore in recent times due to health threats, so they clearly are expecting it to be bad, and are not taking any chances...

I wouldn't fancy time in one of those off shore detention centres ....still better than the virus getting loose in Auatralia
The NZ gov is sending an AIr NZ plane for our people with room for Aussies and Pacific islanders, but have not made public their plans for quarenteen, but they will bring home into NZ

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The UK government is taking a similar approach: not off-shore, but those returning from affected areas are being held in quarantine for 14 days. They weren’t fully disclosing the location, at least not last night, but it was suggested that it would be on an army base. I guess there’s likely to be cases where people have come in before these measures were put in place but at least they will hopefully limit the spread as of now.

I think your mum has made a wise choice given the current info @dk168 - you must be relieved.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read this morning that the plane chartered by UK government got cancelled at the last minute, so the 200 or so Brits are still stranded in Wuhan etc...

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine was supposed to be in that plane, but she’s now flying via HK to get back to the U.K. where she’ll be going in to quarantine.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Yes. This is a teavelled town, for sure ,( No cases reported nearby yet.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some smaller villages in Guangdong province have enforced voluntary quarantine even though they don't have any cases of the virus there yet. Nobody is allowed in or out in order to prevent the virus spreading to the town. So maybe your contact has gone home for the spring festival holiday and got stuck there because of one of those quarantines.

Also, it's good your mum is deferring her trip. There is a shortage of face masks in HK right now (my friend who is a doctor in private practice had to line up yesterday for 2 hrs to buy 1 box of surgical masks) and people are panic buying non perishable foods because they are not going outdoors at all. Morale with the hospital staff is low (hospital frontline staff are writing their wills and drawing straws/joss sticks to see who has to look after the coronavirus patients) and a mass strike of hospital workers may happen because of dissatisfaction with the government's failure to close the border with China and overall handling of the crisis. The situation seems quite tense. I feel like the media coverage and social media exacerbates the situation because it makes people more panicked unnecessarily. SARS was arguably much worse but back in 2003 there weren't so many rumors and misinformation being spread and not as quickly. It's better to keep calm and not run around like headless chickens but it seems people have FOMO and this leads to panic buying of face masks and basic groceries...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just tried to look for face masks to buy to send to my contact in China, to discover sharp price increase, limited availability and long delivery date.
No surprise in that a lot of the items listed on eBay are based in, you guessed it, China!
For Amazon, those available via Prime are far and between and very expensive!
Hey ho.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The UK government is taking a similar approach: not off-shore, but those returning from affected areas are being held in quarantine for 14 days. They weren’t fully disclosing the location, at least not last night, but it was suggested that it would be on an army base. I guess there’s likely to be cases where people have come in before these measures were put in place but at least they will hopefully limit the spread as of now.

I think your mum has made a wise choice given the current info @dk168 - you must be relieved.

German govt is the same. They're flying out our citizens and quarantine them for 2 weeks.

Wise choice, since the one case in Bavaria was from a Chinese co -worker who came into Germany without symtoms, stayed three days without symptoms, left , fell sick a day or two after getting home and apparently still managed to infect at least one German co-worker...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just tried to look for face masks to buy to send to my contact in China, to discover sharp price increase, limited availability and long delivery date.
No surprise in that a lot of the items listed on eBay are based in, you guessed it, China!
For Amazon, those available via Prime are far and between and very expensive!
Hey ho.

FYI

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that health care workers interacting with a coronavirus patient wear a heavy-duty mask called an N95 respirator. They're designed to block small particles from entering the nose and mouth.

Dr. William Schaffner of Vanderbilt University Medical Center says wearing an N95 is serious business.

Just doing a quick Amazon search they seem to be out of stock of most but maybe this might be helpful? As of now it appears to be in stock.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having worked in controlled environment for years, including gowning up in bunny suits to work in Class 100 areas, I am aware of the limitations of paper thin face masks with open sides.
Therefore, I am not bothered about wearing them myself.
However, to some, it is an important deterrent against infectious diseases in their minds.

@missy, thanks for the link, however, at over 8 GBP each including shipping, and would take 3 weeks to arrive in UK, I shall give them a miss.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results