Votes: 43 64.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you go to Vegas you have to tag me!!!! Can you peer in at a buffet for me? :lol:

I'm obsessed with finding out what the buffet situation is :lol-2:

I developed a sore throat about a week after my last sketchy buffet with international tourists. It was probably the only time I started getting nervous but I was back to my usual self the next day much to my relief.

balls of steel indeed !
im weary of a buffet at the best of times with cross condemnation
id rather have one of those banguets with the lazy Susan on the table and of course only with the people one lives with
anytime i start to get a score throat i hate it but i drink a bit of apple cider vinger in some juice to make it slightly more palatable

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My students are 12 years old. They are not great with their hygiene during the best of times. :(

sigh
i had my hope for humanity resting on those young shoulders

i would absolutly live in the shower if hot water was free

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I/we are still sheltering in place and plan to continue doing so for at least the next month or so ...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I/we are still sheltering in place and plan to continue doing so for at least the next month or so ...

If death numbers surge again because they've opened up poorly or too soon, will you SIP even longer?
I will.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am continuing to stay home unless I need something (if I need to mail something or pick up groceries that can't be delivered), and when I go out I wear a mask.

Got my hair cut today and it was glorious, but the hairdresser came to my house and we both wore masks.

We aren't going to restaurants but have been doing take-out/delivery throughout and will continue to do so.

So not 100% quarantine, but not seeing anyone other than DH and the person who helps us with our dogs once per week (all outdoors always multiple feet apart).

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My H and I have age and health issues so we have to be extra careful. Until the number of cases in CT comes way down, we are continuing to do what we've been doing so far. I shop online and have whatever we need delivered. My H and D wear masks at work and come straight home. We walk around the neighborhood -- far away from other walkers-- and that is all. We are fortunate to have a nice yard where we can enjoy nature.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DH and I are both high-risk due to age as well as health conditions for us both. We also live in a county that right now has exponentially increasing new case and new hospitalization numbers, AND everyone vehemently refuses to wear a mask (unless they are forced to at work) or practice any kind of social distancing, even if they are politely asked to back away. So.....we will continue to SIP as we have until there is a vaccine or a reasonably effective, available, and affordable treatment.

We have all groceries and supplies delivered or shipped except my Rx's, and I get those only every two months with masks and gloves on, paid for by phone, and have them bring out and put in my open trunk for me. I had to get a broken tooth checked out and take my dog to the vet briefly - again, masks, gloves, as much distancing/reduced contact as possible, and giving her a bath when we got home (which she was due for anyway). (They were still not allowing owners inside and would come out to get pets.) When we need gas for the mower, we go very late at night when the gas station is deserted with masks, gloves, and a protocol. Other than that, my husband does not leave the property at all, and I only do to go on a run or walk my dog, where I choose my route to avoid others. I already cut my own hair and have for years. DH lets his grow a fair bit before hair cuts, so only goes about 3 times a year; he has informed me that he is not taking the risk, so I'll have to cut his, too. (I need to start reading up on how to do that!)

Unfortunately, my drivers license expires at the end of the year, and the BMVs are now open again in Ohio, so I'll have to go deal with that at some point - and that means removing my mask for the picture as well as having to stick my face in the "doohickey" that they use to check vision. :blackeye: So I'm worrying about how to try to reduce risk there. I'm monitoring the counties within a reasonable driving distance and may go to one of those to do it if it looks safer there.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If death numbers surge again because they've opened up poorly or too soon, will you SIP even longer?
I will.

Yes, we will continue SIP until the situation stabilizes ... like others I try to go out only once a week for grocery shopping and going to the post office ... I always wear a mask outside my home ... hand wash, hand wash, hand wash ... we take these precautions seriously because it is the right thing to do for ourselves and our community ... my mom lives with us and she is in the most vulnerable percentage of the population ... we are even more risk averse because she is in our care and we owe it to her to be responsible and cautious.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is exactly why "one size fits all" guidelines are so useless and why some of us are in quarantine and some are not. I can certainly see why you'd stay home! In my whole county, there have been a total of around 60 cases and there are currently only 15 active cases (the highest day ever was 16 cases and there have been no deaths). There is not a major city in my county, so we live in a less congested area which likely helps there be less spread.
I agree, one size definitely doesn't fit all. You're fortunate to have such low numbers in your area, I sincerely pray things continue to stay that way.

Long Island? We're neighbors!
Yes! I think you're in Nassau if I remember correctly? I'm in Suffolk county.

Did you get any news on what your school district is planning for Sept? I got a call from mine this morning, to submit the kindergarten registration. I asked the lady what she thinks will happen and she said nothing is confirmed yet but they wanted to be prepared. I'm torn about school openings and worried my job will require me to start coming into the office before school is "safely" opened back up.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Don't worry Kenny, you won't die. People have bills to pay each month.

A lot of business owners are opening because they need the money, but that doesn't mean they aren't terrified. My friend's family business re-opened last week and they already had to send two employees to be tested this week and quarantine everyone... this is despite staff wearing full protective gear: full suit, mask, faceshield. Now they worry about worker's comp and potential lawsuits from re-opening when our cases are still so high.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can not refuse to see my clients who prefer to be seen personally. Per my estimate, it is 50/50. So, two days a week we shall be open, two days a week, closed. We’ll see how it goes. I don’t want people to expose one another to possible infection, but some people have the reason to be seen personally. Other than that, I am staying at home. No travels, guests or beaches.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go out and about when I need to, for grocery shopping and the garden centre etc., and am mindful about going at peak times so as to avoid the crowds.

I shan't be going to pubs and restaurants, or participate in choir practices yet, not when social distancing is required.

Not going on holiday until I have my own campervan with onboard facilities. Not planning to get on a plane until 2021.

I would only travel for work when absolutely necessary (I have been work from home since September 2019).

So no, I shan't remain in self isolation or quarantine, just much less interactions with people before lockdown.

DK :))

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[
I agree, one size definitely doesn't fit all. You're fortunate to have such low numbers in your area, I sincerely pray things continue to stay that way.

Yes! I think you're in Nassau if I remember correctly? I'm in Suffolk county.

Did you get any news on what your school district is planning for Sept? I got a call from mine this morning, to submit the kindergarten registration. I asked the lady what she thinks will happen and she said nothing is confirmed yet but they wanted to be prepared. I'm torn about school openings and worried my job will require me to start coming into the office before school is "safely" opened back up.

I'm a teacher, I work in NYC. My son goes to a private Pre-K (no public here). When I go back, he goes back. They're actually open now since they are classified as a day care but he's home since I'm home. If NYC schools don't open in September he'll stay home with me.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't really have a choice in Canada. Some provinces may be getting less restrictions due to very low numbers. But Ontario is still at over 400 new cases per day, and we don't know how accurate that number might be. Both of my daughters have been given WFH orders through to Sept. so far. Mask use isn't nearly as good as it should be, and 10,000 people defied orders in Toronto to go out to a particular park last weekend. So yes, I'm in quarantine for the forseeable future and I'm okay with that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is really good
what steps is your country taking to keep the virus out ?
that's really wonderful you have had no deaths
where do you live? i want to raise a toast to your country's continued good health
here in NZ we have only one active case left, we have saddly had 22 deaths but everyone else is now recovered and the boarder is closed - its a bit eaiser when one is surrounded by sea

I am in the US. It is the county within my state that has very low numbers. Our state shut down in mid March when the government recommended it, and we didn't get to Phase 1 until May 8th and then Phase 2 on the 22nd. That just means some businesses can open with restrictions. Stores that sold food, medicine, and building supplies have been open the entire time. The problem I have had with this is that we are in a large state and only the areas with large cities (which is 3 or 4 counties out of 100) were having higher numbers. I think their needed to be maybe 3 different plans based on the severity of the problems. My state has about 10.5 million people (more than twice the number in NZ!) and one plan for the whole state didn't really make sense after the first month, especially.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We go out when we need to. Yesterday we drove for an hour to get to a Best Buy that had a new kindle for my husband. We did curbside pick up and came home. Once in a while we pick up food at a restaurant and once every couple weeks we go to Costco. I drove to a quilt shop about an hour away and was in the store with two employees, then came home. It was glorious.
Mostly we stay home. I have done a lot of sewing and reading. I have to say I really don't mind it. I was a home body anyway. I limit my going out mostly because I really don't like wearing masks. It makes me feel a little panicky, like I can't breathe. So I just stay home. When we don't have to wear them anymore I will enjoy getting out a bit more.
No one in my family has any health conditions. DH and I are both 60 but we are in good health.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We go out when we need to. Yesterday we drove for an hour to get to a Best Buy that had a new kindle for my husband. We did curbside pick up and came home. Once in a while we pick up food at a restaurant and once every couple weeks we go to Costco. I drove to a quilt shop about an hour away and was in the store with two employees, then came home. It was glorious.
Mostly we stay home. I have done a lot of sewing and reading. I have to say I really don't mind it. I was a home body anyway. I limit my going out mostly because I really don't like wearing masks. It makes me feel a little panicky, like I can't breathe. So I just stay home. When we don't have to wear them anymore I will enjoy getting out a bit more.
No one in my family has any health conditions. DH and I are both 60 but we are in good health.

I am similar in my choices. I go out sometimes for non-essential shopping but I ask myself, "is it mask-worthy?" :lol: I have been to a few antique shops where I was the only person there except for the single person working there. If a place seems crowded, I won't go. We have also dined out a few times.

I think this is a reflection of how widespread the virus is where one lives. So for me, supporting small businesses in a safe way (masked, distanced) is my choice.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, not going out. Too risky for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will add that we did cancel our big trip to Montana and Wyoming this month. The national parks were closed and one of our hotels decided to wait until June to open. Finally one of the flights was cancelled which allowed an easy full refund on the flights. So other than our normal beach and mountain trips which are within driving distance, no planes or cruises for us for an indefinite amount of time. I think even 2021 may not be wise.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're going boating on Sunday. Not my idea, but his as its his birthday on Saturday. Will be no one else in the boat (me him the dog maybe his sister) but personally I'm happy to avoid everyone (as usual....lol)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not continuing to quarantine. I AM, however, continuing to wear my masks in public places that are enclosed such as grocery stores, shops, and Target.

I am taking a long weekend trip to Florida next weekend and will mask in the airport and on the plane, and anywhere else I might be around people and talking. I'm visiting friends I haven't seen for a few years and we will socialize outdoors, weather permitting. A few days ago I took my daughter to visit my parents for her birthday. We have been socializing outdoors but their dining room is large enough to accommodate all 4 of us at distances of 6' or more apart, and there are 2 entrances to the room.

Last weekend I took her to one of our state parks and we picked up lunch curbside to bring with us. We ate overlooking a spectacular view from atop one of several vistas. Hands sanitized in the car. Then we went horseback riding. They had plenty of hand sanitizer available and the horses keep you socially distanced, haha. We had a BLISSFUL 30 minutes before anyone said anything about social distancing and I was snapped out of my reverie having not thought about COVID for that length of time in several months.

A friend of mine and I are driving separately to a nearby Farmers Market tomorrow morning. The market has lots of safety rules in place such as wear a mask, hand sanitizing stations, don't linger, only touch the item you intend to purchase and maintain social distancing. They ask high-risk folks to come the first hour.

I'm planning more state park visits all over my state this summer. Indiana Dunes just became a National Park last year and I'm planning a weekend in Chicago to take my daughter to the American Girl store after it reopens 6/15 and then to the Dunes on our way back.

I am doing what I can to keep others safe while recognizing that there are still things to do outdoors that promote physical fitness and mental well-being.

I live in a university town and the President of IU just announced that students (30k of them) will return for in-person classes in August, and then from November-December, everything will be online. Seems like he is taking into account a potential 2nd wave happening in the fall and wants students to go home for Thanksgiving and not return until later in 2021. Soooo, yeah. I'm doing what I can these next couple of months before they all come back from highly populated areas that have been hard hit by COVID before we inevitably are ordered to quarantine again. My town's Reddit is inundated as it is with posts about huge parties near campus all hours, all days of the week. And that's just the 10k students who stayed for the summer. 30k more returning in the fall and we're looking at another wave for sure. Many of our students are from NY and NJ. Like, an unbelievable amount.

ETA @OboeGal my DL doesn't expire until 2021 but I don't have a RealID yet, so I want to get that out of the way before it's required for travel in October (not that I'm planning to travel then, but it will give me peace of mind just in case). Our BMV is open by appointment only so I scheduled one next month. Not sure if I'll have to do the vision test or not, but it seems like having appointments would give staff time to thoroughly clean the "doohicky" in-between customers.

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
staying in till either there is a vaccine or herd safety. I'm a great candidate for any and all complications leading to death.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not continuing to quarantine. I AM, however, continuing to wear my masks in public places that are enclosed such as grocery stores, shops, and Target.

I am taking a long weekend trip to Florida next weekend and will mask in the airport and on the plane, and anywhere else I might be around people and talking. I'm visiting friends I haven't seen for a few years and we will socialize outdoors, weather permitting. A few days ago I took my daughter to visit my parents for her birthday. We have been socializing outdoors but their dining room is large enough to accommodate all 4 of us at distances of 6' or more apart, and there are 2 entrances to the room.

Last weekend I took her to one of our state parks and we picked up lunch curbside to bring with us. We ate overlooking a spectacular view from atop one of several vistas. Hands sanitized in the car. Then we went horseback riding. They had plenty of hand sanitizer available and the horses keep you socially distanced, haha. We had a BLISSFUL 30 minutes before anyone said anything about social distancing and I was snapped out of my reverie having not thought about COVID for that length of time in several months.

A friend of mine and I are driving separately to a nearby Farmers Market tomorrow morning. The market has lots of safety rules in place such as wear a mask, hand sanitizing stations, don't linger, only touch the item you intend to purchase and maintain social distancing. They ask high-risk folks to come the first hour.

I'm planning more state park visits all over my state this summer. Indiana Dunes just became a National Park last year and I'm planning a weekend in Chicago to take my daughter to the American Girl store after it reopens 6/15 and then to the Dunes on our way back.

I am doing what I can to keep others safe while recognizing that there are still things to do outdoors that promote physical fitness and mental well-being.

I live in a university town and the President of IU just announced that students (30k of them) will return for in-person classes in August, and then from November-December, everything will be online. Seems like he is taking into account a potential 2nd wave happening in the fall and wants students to go home for Thanksgiving and not return until later in 2021. Soooo, yeah. I'm doing what I can these next couple of months before they all come back from highly populated areas that have been hard hit by COVID before we inevitably are ordered to quarantine again. My town's Reddit is inundated as it is with posts about huge parties near campus all hours, all days of the week. And that's just the 10k students who stayed for the summer. 30k more returning in the fall and we're looking at another wave for sure. Many of our students are from NY and NJ. Like, an unbelievable amount.

ETA @OboeGal my DL doesn't expire until 2021 but I don't have a RealID yet, so I want to get that out of the way before it's required for travel in October (not that I'm planning to travel then, but it will give me peace of mind just in case). Our BMV is open by appointment only so I scheduled one next month. Not sure if I'll have to do the vision test or not, but it seems like having appointments would give staff time to thoroughly clean the "doohicky" in-between customers.

i grew up in a university city populated by out of town students
i see no good coming out of these parties you wrote about
stay home
hunker down
stay safe

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds thanks for your comment! I just drove through town and saw:

1. no social distancing outside bars
2. a rather large amount of protesters blocking the adjacent street, NOT social distancing, no masks, children in the crowd
3. several parties happening outdoors on front porches of rental homes near campus.

Yup, there will almost definitely be a 2nd wave in the near future.

I don't go to bars or restaurants. I spend maybe 12-15 minutes in stores where employees and *most* shoppers are wearing masks and I go at off-peak hours.
I've WFM for the past 4.5 years. It's not terribly difficult for me to stay home, but...having isolated myself for so long, I do find it necessary to get out and be at least in the presence of others if not in close proximity. I had to message my doctor at the end of April to ask her for a non-habit forming anti-anxiety drug on top of the anti-depressant I was already taking. I stopped drinking alcohol back in December... stopped smoking years ago. I don't use marijuana in any form, so it's fresh air and buspirone for me for now. There were weeks and weeks where I just could not sleep. I'd either stay up all day and try to ride that into being so tired I couldn't NOT sleep, or I'd end up sleeping all day when I didn't have my daughter. I went through a lot of angst, anger, and emotional upheaval. Even having to do telehealth appointments with my therapists got to be too depressing. I hate phone calls, hate them, and I would get so anxious before our appointments I would be physically shaking.
I'm trying to make the best choices I can for myself and everyone else around me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think some people subscribe to the motto, "Eat, drink, and me merry, for tomorrow we die."

That would be great, except for that choice results in others dying. :blackeye:
Much like with the anti vaxers.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@monarch64 Thank you for sharing the burdens with which you've been coping. I hope you have a support system that you find helpful for getting you through challenges and enables you to carve out a life that pleases you. Wishing you the persistence of strength.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I work in healthcare so I can't. However we stay at home. I try to be very safe (take my clothes off and shower right away when I get home from work). Lots of hand washing and hand sanitizer. SO goes to the grocery store once a week. My mom actually came over and held her grandson (my son) for the first time in 3 months. We just cannot go on in total isolation. Neither can she. It is too hard not to spend time with family. So in the aspect we have loosened up. I am trying to find balance.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will continue to do this so I can comfortably visit my mom who lives on her own.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds thanks for your comment! I just drove through town and saw:

1. no social distancing outside bars
2. a rather large amount of protesters blocking the adjacent street, NOT social distancing, no masks, children in the crowd
3. several parties happening outdoors on front porches of rental homes near campus.

Yup, there will almost definitely be a 2nd wave in the near future.

I don't go to bars or restaurants. I spend maybe 12-15 minutes in stores where employees and *most* shoppers are wearing masks and I go at off-peak hours.
I've WFM for the past 4.5 years. It's not terribly difficult for me to stay home, but...having isolated myself for so long, I do find it necessary to get out and be at least in the presence of others if not in close proximity. I had to message my doctor at the end of April to ask her for a non-habit forming anti-anxiety drug on top of the anti-depressant I was already taking. I stopped drinking alcohol back in December... stopped smoking years ago. I don't use marijuana in any form, so it's fresh air and buspirone for me for now. There were weeks and weeks where I just could not sleep. I'd either stay up all day and try to ride that into being so tired I couldn't NOT sleep, or I'd end up sleeping all day when I didn't have my daughter. I went through a lot of angst, anger, and emotional upheaval. Even having to do telehealth appointments with my therapists got to be too depressing. I hate phone calls, hate them, and I would get so anxious before our appointments I would be physically shaking.
I'm trying to make the best choices I can for myself and everyone else around me.

oh dear
im sad to read this
anxiety is a terrible thing

that's what brings me here - to look at pretty things to stop worrying for 10 minutes

those telehealth appointments sound more worry than they are worth

what you saw sounds exactly like the pictures i saw in the online edition of the Otago daily times
our future doctors and lawyers my dad would say

i just find i don't trust humanity at large to do the right thing so you gotta do what ever you can to keep your own self safe

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results