Are these too big in my tiny earlobes?

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are perfect!! :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look amazing! Wear them in happiness!

X

X5M

They most definitely do not look too big. They are perfect for everyday wear. Maybe you could repurpose the earrings from your parents into another piece of jewellery that you can get use out of.

Or get second piercings :lol:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
*X5M beat me to it :lol:
Two holes in the earlobe to rock them both simultaneously! You place high value on your talismans, and that is what your original set is.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look PEEEERFECT in you @Alex T . Good job Mr T!
Aside from the sentimental attachment, I read a lot about the clunky settings. So maybe it's the length of the posts (easy fix as @mrs-b said). If it's also the width, you can change out the entire post as well.

I hope you wear the heck out of your new sparklies!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they're perfect. Same amount of lobe above and below the diamond, which is the balanced look I prefer.

Listen to your mama. Lololol

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They really are perfect for you Alex. Your other set is just precious and I understand the sentiment behind them. I think as we get older we can pull off a larger look than we ever thought we could. The new set - earrings and pendant - are perfect for your age and beauty! They are not over the top, are truly sized appropriately for you and I would not hesitate to wear them. Your husband will be thrilled to see you wear them and you will get used to them. New things feel a bit heavy and out of place sometimes but you will get used to it quickly. Wear them, enjoy them, and sparkle on!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They really are perfect for you Alex. Your other set is just precious and I understand the sentiment behind them. I think as we get older we can pull off a larger look than we ever thought we could. The new set - earrings and pendant - are perfect for your age and beauty! They are not over the top, are truly sized appropriately for you and I would not hesitate to wear them. Your husband will be thrilled to see you wear them and you will get used to them. New things feel a bit heavy and out of place sometimes but you will get used to it quickly. Wear them, enjoy them, and sparkle on!!

Thank you! I feel a bit too old to be asking advice & not knowing where I'm at, but my small studs are SO precious. Mr T was absolutely made up seeing me wear the 'new set' today for absolutely no reason. I have tucked their individual boxes away & have put them in my daily wear box, so I can decide in the morning if I want to keep in my pretties, or change out for the bigger set.

And yes, he felt I had under appreciated the 40th Birthday gifts & was a bit wounded. This hurts, more than the thought of my dad not seeing me wear the studs he bought. He is gone; my husband is here, right now.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they're perfect. Same amount of lobe above and below the diamond, which is the balanced look I prefer.

Listen to your mama. Lololol

Love you!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Or get second piercings

I did this at age 30, lol. I can't wear bigger studs but I can wear two smaller. A small stud plus the right dangle earring is nice too. I will say that the second hole barely fits without hitting the cartilage and I wouldn't have done it at all if there wasn't enough room to space them properly.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They look perfect on you
Your hubby did good
i think you just need more time to get used to them as you have only warn them a few times
Why not try wearing them in the weekends for a few weeks ?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Awww I just want to come and give you a hug. Clearly this is so much more complicated than just the size of the new stones, which honestly look absolutely fabulous on you. Both sets you have are beautiful, and your husband-gifted set is perfect and definitely not too big. I know there's also maybe a cultural element here, we are not really known for rocking larger diamonds, but these don't in any way fall into my opinion of 'big' diamonds. I think if they were starting to reach the edge of your earlobe then maybe.... :mrgreen:

I think @gregchang35 unpicked a lot of helpful things for you to think about. I'm sorry your husband was hurt, now you maybe better understand your feelings you've been able to have a chat with him?

I'm glad you have them out and will consider wearing them more. Sentimental pieces are hard because it's difficult to ever take them off. I used to wear my granddad's precious gold St. Christopher all the time but gold looks not so great on me so now I reserve it for special occasions. That works well because the other things in my life that are also sentimentally important have room too.

I like the idea of making a three stone ring with your dad's diamond or some other way of repurposing your diamonds so that you don't have to 'choose' in the same way.

You're not dishonouring your dad by not wearing them. :kiss2:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I think both sets of earrings look great on you. I would just like to caution that even though you CAN sleep in your earrings because they're comfortable, you really shouldn't. Many many years ago a dermatologist I went to commented that my ear holes were so tiny for my age, were they recently pierced? I said no, I was pierced at the hospital, at birth, as I think is typical for some of Hispanic backgrounds. She told me that was unusual and I informed her that my grandmother ALWAYS told me NOT to sleep with earrings in to keep those piercings intact. So I am passing on my Granny's wisdom....don't sleep in your earrings. I actually only sleep on one side due to a shoulder injury, so I remove my double pierced earrings from that one side before bed every night.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look absolutely PERFECT! A beautiful size. Are you a fan of bezel settings? Would resetting your old pair into something else classic, like a milgrained bezel, work for you? Just to have something different which you can choose depending on your mood.

I do like the second piercing option too :mrgreen:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to wear my granddad's precious gold St. Christopher all the time but gold looks not so great on me so now I reserve it for special occasions. That works well because the other things in my life that are also sentimentally important have room too.

I love this sentiment. And the older we get, the more sentimental options we’re likely to have.

Dandi’s idea of bezelling a pair is great, or a second piercing, or rotating your two beautiful sets - there’s lots of options to honour both the men in your life, and both sets suit you equally well!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all! The earrings don't seem much different in size. The chain on your original pendant is nicer than the one on your new pendant.

If you're not wearing these for whatever reason I think you should consider a reset. Additions to your jewellery wardrobe with pieces you don't have instead of replacements for pieces you already love which have sentimental value.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I should also have said that I envy your delicate earlobes. I have ear flab aplenty in mine and hate them!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful opinions & replies. I did have a chat with Mr T last night & unpicked my thoughts - he was really understanding. It hadn't even crossed his mind that buying a new set & expecting me to just 'give up' my treasured others was possibly thoughtless on his part, especially given that he is fully aware of how much sentimentality I attach to things. But he did spend a lot of time working with the jeweller to get stones of the right quality & size (he sees me on PS!) & obviously he spent a lot of money, so I appreciate & respect that.

The new set are now in my daily wears box rather than tucked away in a draw & will go into rotation. I won't wear them ALL the time, but I WILL wear them more regularly & make a conscious effort to switch things up like I do with RH rings. There is no rule that says I have to wear the same daily staples, so I need to let go of that notion.

Thanks again for your reassurance & to everyone who helped me realise it goes beyond a size issue.

You guys rock!
@gregchang35 Thank you so, so very much for your input on this.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T I have not read anyone's reply yet. These earrings are PERFECT. Delicious. Beautiful. Elegant. Amazbling. And just the right size. IMO.
:love:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful opinions & replies. I did have a chat with Mr T last night & unpicked my thoughts - he was really understanding. It hadn't even crossed his mind that buying a new set & expecting me to just 'give up' my treasured others was possibly thoughtless on his part, especially given that he is fully aware of how much sentimentality I attach to things. But he did spend a lot of time working with the jeweller to get stones of the right quality & size (he sees me on PS!) & obviously he spent a lot of money, so I appreciate & respect that.

The new set are now in my daily wears box rather than tucked away in a draw & will go into rotation. I won't wear them ALL the time, but I WILL wear them more regularly & make a conscious effort to switch things up like I do with RH rings. There is no rule that says I have to wear the same daily staples, so I need to let go of that notion.

Thanks again for your reassurance & to everyone who helped me realise it goes beyond a size issue.

You guys rock!
@gregchang35 Thank you so, so very much for your input on this.

I am glad that you guys had the conversation. It breathes a better path forward.

Glad the earrings are in the daily rotation box. Time and unraveling your attachments will
make it easier to wear...if not, that is ok. Do not beat yourself up about it.... there is so much attachment/ sentiment on the “original set“ that it will take that amount of time and then some!

If it becomes easier to wear, soon you will want a bigger pair and trade them up... that way your original smaller set still have a pride and place in the rotation box.

happy weekend!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look BEAUTIFUL on you. Just enjoy them for that, and that they are a gift from your DH.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
They are beautiful on you and don’t look big at all. But I think I hear you saying the studs at least are not as comfortable as the smaller ones. You may get used to them with regular use or maybe not. Maybe not for sleeping in. But I like my stuff to be comfortable too. Anyway, very, very beautiful!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think they look perfect on you. Not too big at all.

It’s funny though- I used to think mine were too big too. Too big for anything other than formal events. All it took was wearing them consistently for a few weeks to not feel that way and let DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) set in... I wear them daily now. IMO it’s a matter of getting used to how they look on.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No they look perfect on you.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
It sounded like you wore your smaller ones all the time, sleeping in them even? It could just be a matter of adaptation - we notice new sensations a lot at the beginning, but if you wore the new ones for a couple of weeks non-stop you would likely stop "feeling" them as much as you do now. I think they look great!

I have very small 10 pointers in each ear, repurposed from a previous ring's side-stones. I've never been a stud wearer because I found them too pokey to sleep in, but it turns out all I needed was a couple of weeks to get used to them. (Btw, I wear all my earrings for months at a time - except for taking them out to clean - because I hate switching jewelry out, and I've never had any stretching of my piercings, so I think it is an individual thing whether that will happen or not.)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounded like you wore your smaller ones all the time, sleeping in them even? It could just be a matter of adaptation - we notice new sensations a lot at the beginning, but if you wore the new ones for a couple of weeks non-stop you would likely stop "feeling" them as much as you do now. I think they look great!

I have very small 10 pointers in each ear, repurposed from a previous ring's side-stones. I've never been a stud wearer because I found them too pokey to sleep in, but it turns out all I needed was a couple of weeks to get used to them. (Btw, I wear all my earrings for months at a time - except for taking them out to clean - because I hate switching jewelry out, and I've never had any stretching of my piercings, so I think it is an individual thing whether that will happen or not.)

I have only removed my others for cleaning a couple of times each week for 21 years, and my piercings are fine. They have nice short posts on them & I just can't feel them at all. I wore my 'big set' today & was so busy I forgot I had them on! I may do what @mrs-b suggested & get the posts on my new ones shortened when the jewellers open up again.

Thank you for your kind words!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look gorgeous on you, Alex. Just give it a few weeks and you will wonder why you ever thought they looked too big. You just have to give your mind a minute to adjust to the size.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good to me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results