shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there certain gems you stay away from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/15/2008 2:36:45 PM
Author: Kelli
Rubies are my birthstone too, but I love them. Unfortunately I may never have a great one, they are just too pricey! Just to have like a 1/3 of a carat of FINE ruby would make me super happy. Like perfect red, untreated ruby without all that gunk in it like you see in maul stores.
Gene Flanigan has a 0.38 ct beauty for $333. He also has a 0.7 Burma stone for $700 which is very nice (I would ask if he has better photos of it, as I have a feeling the one that is up there doesn''t do it justice, even though I haven''t seen it personally)

http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/Ruby.html

If only I had $2400...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are Gene''s stones heated though? I know the Natural Sapphire Company got in some untreated Burma rubies. Some are really small and in the budget of mortals.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
He says the smaller one is unheated, but nothing about the Burma, so I would supose so. Why don''t you drop him an e-mail and ask? He is a very nice guy.

Or perhaps he will see this thread and comment.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To get back on topic again, I also stay away from stones that have too much extinction. I adore tourmaline, but I''m always careful to pick out bright stones with little extinction. I also don''t care for any olive cast whatsoever in a green stone. Every single tsavorite I''ve ever seen, even some of the finest ones, have an olive cast to me that you never find in the finest greenest emeralds.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 11:50:36 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain

Date: 10/15/2008 2:36:45 PM
Author: Kelli
Rubies are my birthstone too, but I love them. Unfortunately I may never have a great one, they are just too pricey! Just to have like a 1/3 of a carat of FINE ruby would make me super happy. Like perfect red, untreated ruby without all that gunk in it like you see in maul stores.
Gene Flanigan has a 0.38 ct beauty for $333. He also has a 0.7 Burma stone for $700 which is very nice (I would ask if he has better photos of it, as I have a feeling the one that is up there doesn''t do it justice, even though I haven''t seen it personally)

http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/Ruby.html

If only I had $2400...
Wow thank you for the link! I actually LOVE that $700 one''s color. Too bad I can''t spend $700! But it''s good to know maybe I can have a pretty ruby someday
1.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 1:37:47 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Are Gene''s stones heated though? I know the Natural Sapphire Company got in some untreated Burma rubies. Some are really small and in the budget of mortals.
Also great to know! SOMEDAY....

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelli you could also contact Wink with your question. He sourced a 4 mm natural ruby (I assume heat treated but nothing else) for a (grand)mother''s pendant, and it was $200. That was about 3 years ago so the price may have gone up. It is truly a beautiful stone however.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 12:46:26 PM
Author: part gypsy
Kelli you could also contact Wink with your question. He sourced a 4 mm natural ruby (I assume heat treated but nothing else) for a (grand)mother''s pendant, and it was $200. That was about 3 years ago so the price may have gone up. It is truly a beautiful stone however.
Thanks part gypsy! When the time comes I will definitely do that. It''ll probably be a loooooooong while though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results