shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there certain gems you stay away from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to stay away from rubies, sapphires and emeralds, not because I hate them or because I don''t value them. It''s just that so many have unscrupulous treatments and it''s so hard to find a good quality untreated one without giving away your first born child. I also stay away from blue topaz due to the radioactivity issues.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find myself staying away from emeralds even though it''s my birthstone. I just don''t like the look of them. I''d much rather have a gorgeous tsav than an emerald.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Blue topaz and radioactivity issues!! Yikes - I better do some research. Luckily, most of mine are aquamarines (I thought they were blue topaz for a second). I lost my only blue topaz ring during my recent move.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not actively collecting gems right now, but when I was, for loose gems I would like to eventually set in jewelry I tried to avoid gemstones below Mohs 7 and ones with cleavage issues (like perfect cleavage like Kunzite) because I would like to imagine I could eventually set the gemstone and those would be problematic.

However in retrospect if I ever started up again and saw a beautiful gemstone that didn''t fit the above criteria (like a "kicking" bentonite) I might still get it and just enjoy it for it''s beauty.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2008 5:53:39 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Blue topaz and radioactivity issues!! Yikes - I better do some research. Luckily, most of mine are aquamarines (I thought they were blue topaz for a second). I lost my only blue topaz ring during my recent move.
Yes, for a time in the U.S., there were some issues with blue topaz and the nuclear regulatory commission. A lot of stores had to stop selling blue topaz because of this. Many are safe, but you have to wonder about all irradiated gems.
emquestion.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2008 6:32:06 PM
Author: part gypsy
I''m not actively collecting gems right now, but when I was, for loose gems I would like to eventually set in jewelry I tried to avoid gemstones below Mohs 7 and ones with cleavage issues (like perfect cleavage like Kunzite) because I would like to imagine I could eventually set the gemstone and those would be problematic.

However in retrospect if I ever started up again and saw a beautiful gemstone that didn''t fit the above criteria (like a ''kicking'' bentonite) I might still get it and just enjoy it for it''s beauty.
One of my favorite stones is sphalerite, and it''s a great pity it''s only a 4 on the Mohs scale. It looks like the most gorgeous orange yellow diamond. I just enjoy my gem in a box.
7.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2008 4:52:21 PM
Author: Catmom
I find myself staying away from emeralds even though it''s my birthstone. I just don''t like the look of them. I''d much rather have a gorgeous tsav than an emerald.
I''m the opposite, I''d take a top notch gorgeous emerald over the best looking tsavorite any day of the week. I do understand what you''re saying though. Most emeralds on the market are pretty blah.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, I stay away from tanzanite. Too soft IMO, and I''m so sick of watching it all over the gem shopping channels.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Yes, emeralds.

I can''t get my mind around yellow stones, either.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, peridot (just not a fan of that shade of green), citrine, trying to find interesting amethyst but not much luck so far. I've just discovered the beryl family, and am becoming a fan of their particular type of sparkle. It's really about the color and the sparkle for me. No sparkle, no interest, I'm afraid.

Oh yes, not much of a tanzanite fan either. Too expensive for such a soft stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2008 6:50:50 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Yes, emeralds.

I can''t get my mind around yellow stones, either.
I''m not fond of the color yellow at all in stones. Even fancy yellow diamonds. However, if someone gave it to me, I would take it.
31.gif

Hey are there colors that people also stay away from?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stay away from topaz (don''t like them) and from apatite (too soft). I also am not a fan of tanzanite and diaspore because they are too soft for rings IMHO.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of citrine, I just don''t care for the color. I shy away from most yellow/orange stones.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t care for topaz and while I like yellow beryl and yellow sapphire the color blends in to my hand too much so I don''t have any pieces of jewelry.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also don''t care much for irradiated diamonds (pinks, blues, yellows) - the colors are too "fake" looking, especially the blues. Ahh, nothing like a real blue diamond!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of rubies and emeralds (well..affordable ones), and I'm not a fan of the lighter pink, purple, peach color stones. I used to love tanzanite, but now I really prefer the color of an amethyst if I'm going to go purple. When I first started lurking around here, I didn't get the citrine and spess love, but I do now - I think those are gorgeous gems.

ETA: Also, though I know it's an inexpensive, irradiated stone, I have come to like blue topaz - I used to think its color was tacky, but it grew on me a lot after I fell in love with blue zircons. I've seen mention of it's "radioactivity" which seems to be a bit of a stretch. Here's a link (from here on PS) which explains the blue topaz radioactivity myth.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t purchaced enough gem stones to make a decision on which ones to to stay away from. I would say right now, I am not really interested in any stones that are not suitable for jewelry.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I think rubies are beautiful but I''m just not a red fan.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have any specific stones that I stay away from but these are the generalities:

1. No treatment except gentle heating - so no lattice diffusion, nuked, filled, coated, etc which means no topaz, overtreated sapphires and rubies, etc.
2. While I love to look at soft stones, I will not buy them - so no opals, benitiotes, etc.
3. No gemstones with perfect cleavage
4. No gemstones that fade under UV

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Radioactive gems--haHA!

and treated gems. I want them to be what they are when they come out of the ground or alluvial deposit etc.--only faceted.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 6:50:47 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Oh yes, I stay away from tanzanite. Too soft IMO, and I''m so sick of watching it all over the gem shopping channels.

ME TOO!!!

I haven''t been into gems long enough to really know, but I''d like to stay away from treated ones or really soft ones!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many gems are heat treated with just gentle heat, and that''s a very acceptable practice in the trade. You almost can''t avoid buying a heat treated sapphire or ruby these days. However, some other treatments, like Chrono mentioned, are totally off limits to me as well. Don''t forget coated stones, like those mystic topazes (yuck), or nowadays they''re even coating diamonds to give them fancy colors. This is a very unscrupulous practice.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I guess the gentle heating wouldn''t be too much of a problem, but if I knew the color was ALL natural, I''d love it more.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. I need to stay away spinels.

Because I BUY ALL OF THEM I CAN GET MY MITTS ON.

14.gif

And this is why Freke will be eating Ramen FOREVER.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Also not a fan of rubies - never have been, and its my birth stone
7.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I''ll have the take all the emeralds you don''t want
2.gif
. But I would rather have an imperfect emerald than a perfect tsavorite, but that''s just me. But I know what you mean. I tried 2 times to buy an emerald off the internet and returned both, it is just too hard. I would love to have a beautiful emerald but not sure when that would be.

Chrono that''s a good list. I didn''t think of it before but would also want to stay away from those questionable treatments. The only one I am ambivelant about is what are acceptable treatments for emeralds, where I have heard both pros and cons about the more permanent fillers.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Rubies are my birthstone too, but I love them. Unfortunately I may never have a great one, they are just too pricey! Just to have like a 1/3 of a carat of FINE ruby would make me super happy. Like perfect red, untreated ruby without all that gunk in it like you see in maul stores.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of emeralds or yellow stones, but just about any stone that sparkles I am game for
2.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 2:36:45 PM
Author: Kelli
Rubies are my birthstone too, but I love them. Unfortunately I may never have a great one, they are just too pricey! Just to have like a 1/3 of a carat of FINE ruby would make me super happy. Like perfect red, untreated ruby without all that gunk in it like you see in maul stores.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what that may actually cost me? A very small, but clear and untreated RED RED RED ruby? I''ve never really even done the research because I know it''s not happening, but I know I''ve seen some beautiful ones on pricescope. Even like a little 4mm or so stone would be GREAT!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
never met a gem that i didnt like...perfect or flawed i love em all....heaven help me....i want em all!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results