shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Anesthesiologists Failed Surgeons?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I hope that my neuroanesthesiologist is as good or better than my neurosurgeon is next week.
I understand that it is a specialty within Anesthesia.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cflutist - whatever you are having done….best of luck. With a neuroanesthesiolgist I am sure you are in good hands!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
caf|1425532419|3842108 said:
Cflutist - whatever you are having done….best of luck. With a neuroanesthesiolgist I am sure you are in good hands!

Thank god for medical insurance.
Got the bill for the neuroanesthesiologist (a lady doctor with 20 years of experience) and it was $2,185.
The neurosurgeon's bill for a pterional craniotomy and brain tumor removal was $12,528.
Both I'd say were well compensated.

Still waiting for all of the hospitalization, lab tests, MRI, inpatient PT/OT etc bills to come in.

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
Jambalaya|1424192145|3833878 said:
I was at a hospital the other day for one of my elderly relatives and I overheard a junior doctor chatting with a nurse about different specialties. His opinion of anesthetics was that the people who specialize in that area are failed surgeons.

This struck me extraordinarily unkind. Anesthesiologists have just as much training as surgeons, I think? And they are a key part of surgery, aren't they?

I mean, I don't know anything about medical things but I was under the impression that anesthesiologists are just as highly trained and respected as surgeons.

Why would the junior doctor say something so mean about the people who keep you pain-free? I just thought it was quite upsetting to hear a member of such a dedicated profession maligning a group of fellow doctors. :confused:

WOW I just saw this thread; I am the Director of Academic Affairs at a major NYC hospital. And my husband is a surgery resident. THESE DAYS, anesthesiology is "easier" to match into upon medical school, mainly due to the increase of nurses who gain certification in the field, and work for the general anesthesiologist on that day. Mine for my operation the other day was in fact a PA and a nurse.

Surgery is considered "more competitive" but that does not mean ANYTHING. Many pick the life of anesthesiology because it is MUCH nicer compared to surgery life. I have been in the field a decade...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results