shape
carat
color
clarity

Appreciate the facets in a 6.5mm antique cut stone?

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I am considering buying an OEC or antique cushion that would be approximately 6.5mm. Will I be able to appreciate the faceting in this size stone? What size would I need to go? Thank you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tweeter8177|1463341649|4032031 said:
I am considering buying an OEC or antique cushion that would be approximately 6.5mm. Will I be able to appreciate the faceting in this size stone? What size would I need to go? Thank you!

I have a 6.3mm OEC that I appreciate the facets on. I usually do have to squint or be outside where the light is making the different facets go off. In reality I think a 7mm or 7.5mm would really hit the spot!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes at 6.5 you can see the shape outline really clearly and that the facet pattern is different from other facet patterns in both. I agree if can push it to a bit larger you would notice it more the larger the stone, the more obvious or easy it is to see.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I have a 6.2mm OEC and definitely can see the facets clearly at 12-24", and it is still noticeably different from an MRB at arm's length, though I wouldn't say I can really see the facets at that distance. I also have a .65ish ct transitional, and with that one it's much harder to really appreciate the facets except right up close, though I still love the stone.

But I agree, the bigger the better :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
6mm is very clear to me. 6.5 will be fine. :wavey:

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the feedback! It's hard since I have never seen an old cut in real life, but both an OEC and antique cushion appeal to me from looking at on-line pictures. I really don't want to go any bigger than 6.5mm since it would be for an RHR. For this size, which cut would you prefer more, round or cushion?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tweeter8177|1463410547|4032279 said:
Thank you for the feedback! It's hard since I have never seen an old cut in real life, but both an OEC and antique cushion appeal to me from looking at on-line pictures. I really don't want to go any bigger than 6.5mm since it would be for an RHR. For this size, which cut would you prefer more, round or cushion?

Tough choice. In a way, in a smaller stone, you could see the facets better in an AVC than an OEC/AVR. If you are going with an antique stone, then I say OEC because finding a great cut antique cushion will be much harder to find. In a way, though, I think this is going to be kind of unbalanced in size when your e-ring diamond is so large, so I really would recommend going larger.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1463410814|4032281 said:
tweeter8177|1463410547|4032279 said:

Tough choice. In a way, in a smaller stone, you could see the facets better in an AVC than an OEC/AVR. If you are going with an antique stone, then I say OEC because finding a great cut antique cushion will be much harder to find. In a way, though, I think this is going to be kind of unbalanced in size when your e-ring diamond is so large, so I really would recommend going larger.

Thanks! I was looking at true antique OECs and cushions, but it seems like GOG or VC antique stones aren't that much more in price. For me, I prefer the light performance of a the newly cut stone. Interesting comment on the unbalanced size. One of the reasons I am looking at this size is that my 2.3ct halo RHR is way too big for everyday wear and I am not comfortable wearing it to work. I am trying to find RHRs that I feel comfortable wearing everyday. Ideally, I would go down the colored stone path, but I am one of those people that feels the need to be matchy, matchy. Diamonds go with every outfit. :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great truth in diamonds matching everything! :bigsmile: I am with you on that idea!

I can see why 2.3 cts in a halo would be too big. I am not sure what kind of setting you are thinking of for the antique stone. Tell me that part and I will tell you what size I think would be good. You are setting your 1 ct mrb in a three-stone, so I think you need larger for your antique stone. Since you like newly cut, I'd recommend an AVC or CAC to change shape since you already will have two rings with rounds. Yes, antique stones used to be a lot less, but since that is not the case now, I also prefer the newly cut because more of them have better overall light return, etc.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1463432451|4032411 said:
Great truth in diamonds matching everything! :bigsmile: I am with you on that idea!

I can see why 2.3 cts in a halo would be too big. I am not sure what kind of setting you are thinking of for the antique stone. Tell me that part and I will tell you what size I think would be good. You are setting your 1 ct mrb in a three-stone, so I think you need larger for your antique stone. Since you like newly cut, I'd recommend an AVC or CAC to change shape since you already will have two rings with rounds. Yes, antique stones used to be a lot less, but since that is not the case now, I also prefer the newly cut because more of them have better overall light return, etc.

Thank you Diamondseeker! I would love your input!! I really love the idea of a bezel set ring with 2 stacking bands in yellow gold. My husband likes CVB’s Casablanca too, but I am not sure if it would be too engagement-like? I might do the try it before you buy it program that LAD offers.

If I do an antique cushion, I like the ring in picture #1 in yellow gold though. In a round, I like something like picture #2, but plain shank. Picture #3 is my inspiration for stacking rings, but with a diamond.

maytal_hannah_rose_gold_avc.jpg

bezel_ring_round_in_cushion_shape.jpg

acinoms_rose_gold_stacking_rings.jpg

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Bumping! Hoping Diamondseeker will see this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results