shape
carat
color
clarity

appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

composix

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding an appraisal. Should I buy the loose stone and have it appraised or can I have the ring appraised after it is set? If I have it appraised after it is set, can the appraiser still check the quality of the cut on the diamond. I live in the Allentown, PA area and I was thinking of calling the AGA of Doyleston service to have it appraised sine it is close and also linked to this forum under appraisal essentials. Also, what if the appraisal is lower than what I paid for the diamond or the specs do not match what I was told? Will most appraisers go to the store of purchase to appraise the ring before its bought? How long does an appraisal take?

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An appraisal can be done usually within the return period and most vendors will encourage you to do this. It is better to have the unset diamond appraised as it is harder to verify when set, although it can be done. If the appraisal is much lower than the price you paid - which I doubt, then you can change the diamond if you are still within the return period. Howver this is rare, you want an accurate appraisal as for insurance you don't want to be paying a huge premium for an inflated appraisal far more than the diamond is actually worth. I think it is usual for you to either take the diamond yourself to the appraiser or the vendor can ship it to them. If Kaleigh sees this she might know of a good appraiser or the one you mention as she is in the area I believe.

composix

Rough_Rock
Thanks,

I hope she sees this!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m here but for a brief second. Yes Oldminer who posts here has an office in Jewelers Row in Philly on Sansom street. His name is David Atlas and is one of the most highly regarded appraisers that I know of. You an get his info by going to the top of the page and look for the appraiser list. His phone number and address is all there. Good luck, HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results