shape
carat
color
clarity

Apparently...I lie.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Question, are we answering for what WE would choose, or what we think YOU should choose?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. Sorry, it's a bit messy, but you get the idea. Obvious since D&T's ring size is tiny, the proportions are totally off.

Yeah...

Sholdt and halo with SCGs sapphire.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
HALO!!!!

Lori

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
HALO TIMES A MILLION!!!

I LOVE THAT HALO AND THE OTHER ONE SIMILAR BY LM!!!

AND WITH A JEFF WHITE SAPPHIRE IN IT ....

YUMMY!!!!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Both look lovely, but my vote goes to the Sholdt for its beautiful, clean lines.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I see you have a round stone.
You want that in a square halo?
There are some gorgeous round halos on here. Look at Lost Sapphire''s. Rising Sun, I think has a gorgeous round halo also.

Rather than put a round stone in a square, I would go for the semi bezel.

I think you would have to add some metal to change a round to a square. That would make it impossible to have the delicate halo of half pointers.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
It ate my post three times, so here is the condensed version.

Yes I prefer a round in a square halo. the orginal posted is a round in a square halo. This is for what you guys would choose for me, or yourselves.
11.gif

I''m off to work to obsess some more. Thanks for all the help so far. I''m still all
40.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
OK, here's the gospel according to Gailey!

Not all halos are created equal. There are good ones and not so good ones. Search on PS long enough and you will see what I mean.

Gypsy's halo was created by a halo master (or mistress in this case), Ocean Pearlman. I know this thing because it is the halo that inspired me to try and replicate with one of my stones. I can vouch for the fact that Ocean Pearlman is an absolute joy to deal with. She also created the more recent haloed aquamarine earrings that ChunkyCushionLover commissioned for his wife as a wedding present. Phenomenal work of the highest calibre.

Ocean's work is forged/hand-made, like Leon's as opposed to cast and hand finished (a good example of this style would be BGD's work). DianaBanana reported that Ocean's quote was significantly higher than that of Leon and in the end she went with Leon.

So out of your options, I think an Ocean halo would be more expensive than the Sholdt. Maybe not quite as expensive as a French-cut halo, but up there, nonetheless.

That's not to say that you couldn't get a very nice halo from someone else. Personally, I think the halo would enhance the sapphire more than the Sholdt. It's a much more traditional look than the Sholdt. You clearly like both options otherwise we wouldn't be sharing this debate with you.

Thing is, with the Sholdt, what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Once you consider going halo shopping, there will be quite the variation between suppliers unless you opt for a stock setting.

Don't think I made things any easier for you, but that's my two cents worth.

Good luck!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Modern look - Sholdt
Vintage look - square halo (art deco period pieces often have round stones in square halos)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think you should take into account if you want your wedding ring to fit tight against your e-ring. I have a halos, but I have to admit I like the Sholdt ring a lot.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both looks seem quite different.
Sholdt: modern, clean and sleek
Halo: antique, busier and more common.

Depending on how the halo is done, your wedding band may not be flush with the ring if you happen to be picky about that.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Sweetie! I just logged on and saw this post... so I'm going to give you my personal thoughts as since I have both halos and this sholdt
2.gif

I prefer to see colored stones in Halo (my personal preference) but not just any halo, I like colored stones Pronged set in a square halo
30.gif
a ton! (if you want to test this out- Jewelryhoo has a very inexpensive square halo setting Link to auction (I thought he had another one for less though, you might want to double check - I just did a quick search) buy it then plop your baby into it (don't set it though), then resell the brand new mount (you might not get what you paid for but at least you'll recover much of the cost- and you;ll be that much more sure of your decision- Heck I'll buy it from you
3.gif
even... so I can put my stone in it... lol) I like seeing diamonds surrounding a colored stone as it just makes it Pop that much more butttttttttttttttttttt... I really like it more for a RHR
37.gif
HOWEVER! for an E-ring, I like a little more classic/simpler setting soooo what do I think.....?! SHOLDT!!!! -but I'm biased though
3.gif
did I just confuse you there
9.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am a bezel fanatic and I absolutely love the Sholdt, but I would halo that beautiful blue sapphire!

First, I think it will make it POP a lot more than the bezel (which could possibly darken it).

Second, you tend to prefer halos.

And last, not to say yours is the same, but every time my DH has not liked jewelry that I show him when I actually get the final piece he loves it and realizes how well it works together. And every time I have not chosen something because of what he says I end up regretting it and/or changing it in the future to what I initially wanted. Rinse and repeat. He always ends up liking it
9.gif
... hmm or maybe he is just being polite
6.gif
(joking, he would tell me if he didn't like it).

ETA: I just realized I am a bit biased... my Jeff White garnet is haloed!

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Sholdt and I won''t say more than that because I don''t want to inadvertantly diss the halo setting people here.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Halo! Makes the stone pop!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the record, I am a solitaire/clean-sleek lines/simplicity is best kind of girl personally. But from what you''ve said, and your previous posts, I think the halo is your best bet. I think that you''re trying to like the semi bezel more because your SO likes it, but that your heart is with a halo.

So...

I would choose the halo for myself. I would also choose the halo for you.

Again, I''m NOT a halo girl. I have about ten solitaires and only a couple halos.
2.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 3:25:25 PM
Author: FrekeChild
For the record, I am a solitaire/clean-sleek lines/simplicity is best kind of girl personally. But from what you''ve said, and your previous posts, I think the halo is your best bet. I think that you''re trying to like the semi bezel more because your SO likes it, but that your heart is with a halo.

So...

I would choose the halo for myself. I would also choose the halo for you.

Again, I''m NOT a halo girl. I have about ten solitaires and only a couple halos.
2.gif
I agree with Freke here, Don''t *Try* to like something as you will regret it an expensive lesson to learn. your FI will come around, he''ll be happy that you''re happy. You asked for an opinion and he gave you *his* opinion on the setting. Now I ask my DH what looks like a *DT*.... dress, or shirt, or jewelry piece if I had a few options in front of him, not What He Likes, but rather what looks more like *me*... sounds weird, I know, so if the Halo is more *you* then I think you''ll be happy with that decision.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
If I was picking it for my own taste, I would go with the Scholdt. For YOU, it seems you are quite drawn to the halo....and so I recommend the halo. I will say I do find the halo with the plain shank quite pleasing, and I have my own reasons for not liking halos for e-rings which have nothing to do with whether you should go halo or not, so I am leaving them out of it :)

Definitely, definitely, don't TRY to like something that you really don't. Believe me, I tried doing that with my wedding ring (never had an e-ring) for a while after the wedding and it just did NOT work (and made it worse....I started to feel rather sad and guilty about it (though my husband was INCREDIBLY understanding!)!). I am still wearing it right now and have some sentimental attachment to it and do think it is pretty....but it just does not fit for me to wear everyday and I am excited to get my new rings.

And don't apologize. I too am incredibly, incredibly picky about finding the perfect setting. For me a setting is very important! I obsessed over rings for what seemed like eons before I finally opted to go custom to get exactly what I wanted. I did not want to make the same mistake I had before (kind of rush picked it out, did not really decide if I REALLY loved it before I got married, etc) as I really do want this one to be my forever setting :) I did certainly consider my husband's feelings about design, but fortunately, we are fairly similar on that - he just hoped I would still keep some sort of sapphire/diamonds combo to continue to complement his own ring. Even so, he said I should do what I will feel good about, and get what I will love to wear as I am the one wearing it everyday for the rest of my life. And I believe him - as you should your own SO!

I don't know, my suggestion would be that you have to go with what feels right for YOU. If you aren't happy with something about the settings you have thought of, keep looking (or go custom/semi custom). Despite all my obsessiveness and constant waffling on what I wanted, when I figured out exactly what I wanted I had no qualms about putting down my payment to have it made and know it will be beautiful as it just "fits" me and my style.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all the posts and a big thank you to Freke for the photo shop job. That is a fantastic mock up!

Ok, where to address...um...I still have no clue what I want.

I don't feel like I'm trying to like the Sholdt because SO does. When we looked at the settings I was smitten. I adored it, I still do. And after my freak outs I kept remembering that when looking at it I loved it. I think it makes me happier that he likes it as well.

Would he come to love what makes me happy and what I love, absolutely and I don't think he would not like it. He actually said the WF ones "was kinda pretty" but said he just prefers the Sholdt.

I have practicality fears as well, this is a ring that I at least think I plan to live in, not take off ever except when cooking something gross, working out in the garden, working out kinda deal. I suppose how it is made may determine how it stands up and I think I have picked out good (affordable) vendors to work with. If I went this route I would use BGD, JbEG or WF.

And yeah...some of you...not helping!
11.gif

ETA-D&T not only are you not helping but I love that setting! I can't believe it is so cheap. If I had the cash I would buy that in a heart beat, but I'm broke...big time.
39.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like them both. The halo is a nice small one. And the Sholdt is so nice and clean looking. I would be happy with either. So I am absolutely no use to you whatsoever
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So he loves the Sholdt and you like it?

I always feel that when something doesn''t shout out to me, "BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME!" I just haven''t found the right one yet.

Could you potentially set the sapphire into a temp setting until you find "The (elusive) One"?

And what kind of wedding band do you want? For me, I knew what kind of wedding band I wanted before I ever thought of the setting for my ering. Could that potentially help your decision making?

Regardless, reading through your past couple of topics, I wouldn''t feel comfortable telling you to just go for one of them, regardless of how much I like the halo.

Break down: Don''t do anything rash! There might be something else out there!

(And then when you can''t decide between settings, you end up with 20 million erings, like me...)

E B

Ideal_Rock
Have you made a list of pros and cons for each?
10.gif

In all seriousness, I agree with Freke. If you aren't getting the "IT" feeling from either, you may want to keep looking (or at least sleep on it for a while longer until you know for sure).

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gee, thanks Maisie!
2.gif

Freke-I''m not sure the man loves or will ever love any jewelry. He honestly thinks some are pretty and some are not and that is about it. Though he did seem fairly excited about a wedding ring i found for him that was titanium and has a super uber thin channel setting of diamonds down the center, almost exactly like the Sholdt. Him saying he REALLY likes it is the most enthusiasm I''ve ever heard about jewelry.

So I would say he likes the Sholdt and I really honestly do like if not love the Sholdt. It, in person is so delicate and when I saw it I was a little giddy and excited, yet I keep questioning myself. Online photos of the Sholdt with channel sides do not look online like they do in person. But...I do still love halos.
14.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 7:05:34 PM
Author: E B
Have you made a list of pros and cons for each?
10.gif

In all seriousness, I agree with Freke. If you aren''t getting the ''IT'' feeling from either, you may want to keep looking (or at least sleep on it for a while longer until you know for sure).
In my head yes. On paper, no. I think the bf may harm me if i do a temp setting. He SERIOUSLY is over hearing me back and forth over. He doesn''t get it at all. He''s just like pick whatever you want! You asked me what I liked, I told you, now pick what you want. I still have a week or two to decide, ya know pending I don''t flip out at the last second and change my mind.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 7:02:34 PM

I always feel that when something doesn''t shout out to me, ''BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME!'' I just haven''t found the right one yet.

Could you potentially set the sapphire into a temp setting until you find ''The (elusive) One''?

And what kind of wedding band do you want? For me, I knew what kind of wedding band I wanted before I ever thought of the setting for my ering. Could that potentially help your decision making?

Regardless, reading through your past couple of topics, I wouldn''t feel comfortable telling you to just go for one of them, regardless of how much I like the halo.

(And then when you can''t decide between settings, you end up with 20 million erings, like me...)

This.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want you to be happy with what you end up with. I think that trying to decide on something you're going to be wearing for the rest of your life in a couple of weeks is probably not the best way of going about things. ETA: But I totally understand time crunches, so it's hard to weigh the options, but pressure due to time constraints just doesn't help.

I know that I've settled on settings before and I've ended up regretting it, and in one case I ended up disliking both the stone (which I loved before) and the setting (which was one that I settled for).

I don't know if you know of my periwinkle/lavender spinel (supernova, by Barry) but I have adored that stone since I first saw it--in Love In Bloom's pictures and on Artistic Colored Stones. Luckily I happened to snag it when LIB put it up for sale.

I love love love that stone, and it sits in a box, because I can't decide on a setting I love (AND can afford) for it. If I got something right now, I would be settling. Plain and simple. I haven't found anything that makes me go, "OMG that is it's home!"

So my question is, are you ok with setting upgrades/resets later in life? I don't want to see you settling for something you won't love in 5-10-20-50 years time.

And speaking from my own experience, I really should have saved up for my MWM instead of settling for someone else's (not so great) interpretation of what I had in my head...

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to add, I think for a wedding band I want either a french cut band of some sort or a Danielle WF band, or maybe both!

I realize the Danielle prob won''t go with the Sholdt and neither will an alternating french cut and single cut band but a channel set french band might work???

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 7:36:08 PM
Author: IndyLady
Date: 3/24/2010 7:02:34 PM

I always feel that when something doesn''t shout out to me, ''BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME!'' I just haven''t found the right one yet.

Could you potentially set the sapphire into a temp setting until you find ''The (elusive) One''?

This.
What if it did when you saw it and later other rings popped into your head?

E B

Ideal_Rock
I've gone back a bit and read another of your threads, and it seems your main issue with the Sholdt (and please, correct me if I'm wrong!) is not being able to find a wedding band you LOVE to match.

Now, please don't hurt me, but what about considering a third option: The plain semi-bezel Sholdt with both a plain and a diamond band? That way, you have both a practical ("anywhere/time") e-ring AND band, but you can switch it up with the diamond band for the sparkle you want...whenever. And since it's a simple (gorgeous, stunning, etc.) semi-bezel, you'll have more diamond wedding bands to choose from.

*Runs and hides*

41.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 7:40:48 PM
I want you to be happy with what you end up with. I think that trying to decide on something you''re going to be wearing for the rest of your life in a couple of weeks is probably not the best way of going about things.

I know that I''ve settled on settings before and I''ve ended up regretting it, and in one case I ended up disliking both the stone (which I loved before) and the setting (which was one that I settled for).

I don''t know if you know of my periwinkle/lavender spinel (supernova, by Barry) but I have adored that stone since I first saw it--in Love In Bloom''s pictures and on Artistic Colored Stones. Luckily I happened to snag it when LIB put it up for sale.

I love love love that stone, and it sits in a box, because I can''t decide on a setting I love (AND can afford) for it. If I got something right now, I would be settling. Plain and simple. I haven''t found anything that makes me go, ''OMG that is it''s home!''

So my question is, are you ok with setting upgrades/resets later in life? I don''t want to see you settling for something you won''t love in 5-10-20-50 years time.

And speaking from my own experience, I really should have saved up for my MWM instead of settling for someone else''s (not so great) interpretation of what I had in my head...
I never thought I would be ok with resets (don''t think i would upgrade) until i mentioned it to SO about the setting and he was like "that''s cool, whatever makes you happy" and then I thought to myself that (one of my fears) if down the road I was no longer in love at least resetting is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results