shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone wire transferred to BG , advise please

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am going to pay for a diamond from BG. I wonder should I wire transfer to get 3% less than credit card. I am buying from oversea and it is my first time buying diamond online from US. The amount is roughly USD7,000. Is it prudent to do so? i really hope that there would be no issue to make me return the diamond. That would be more trouble from abroad within only 15 days.

BG will ship through Fedex and I will have to pay 5% import duty and 5% VAT on top of that. Is there any buyer experiencing these steps? Is there an occasion that I would make a bank transfer, and the Fedex couldn't process and deliver the diamond to me.

Has BG ever discounted price more than the amount they quote on the website? Considering high tax I will have to add, I really want to get in without going too much above my budget.

And, I think that I will get the diamond mounted in a local shop? Then I can examine the diamond first as well as to avoid some tax money for the setting? Any thoughts ?

Thank you all!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in the UK and have used bank wire to pay BGD. If I recall correctly I paid an extra £25 for the transfer. That charge doesn’t come from Brian Gavin. I think it’s from the company doing the transfer. I paid it when I did the wire transfer on my banking app.

Last edited:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I recall correctly, some people outside the USA have had difficulty making a return within the 15 days. Check whether YOU as a consumer can get adequate insurance and appropriate security from FedEx. I believe here in US, we had to get Brian Gavin or the vendor we are dealing with, to send a return label in order to be fully insured because businesses had access to features that FedEx didn't offer consumers. So, timing and insurance on returns are something you need to investigate.

Wire transfer itself should not be an issue.

Mounting: If you have Gavin's shop mount the diamond, they are responsible for any damage that may occur during mounting. If you have an outside party do that, they will probably not assume any risk. You'd need your own private insurance for that. Or at least that's how things work in the US.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Thank you Maisie and AdaBeta27 for detail answers. After lots of searching, the last few steps are not simple as thought:roll

I will need to verify more with the sale staff and Fedex for all that you have recommended. I still hope to have advice! I actually don't want to pay by CC coz my bank especially applies very high FX rate for buying oversea. Sometimes I bought stuff in UK and the bank charged fees or VAT for those transactions. Wire transfer will help me out of this and I can do it with many other remittance companies with at fair market FX rate.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about buying overseas but if you pay by credit card through PayPal, you have not one but two places with the authority to refund your money from the seller if all does not go well. With a wire transfer (or debit card), I believe you lose those protections.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m not sure BGD will accept PayPal for such a large amount. There would be fees involved.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BG is a reputable company and it is completely safe to wire them payment for the diamond.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve paid money to Whiteflash from the U.K. directly from my online bank account. I’m not sure why this is called a “wire transfer”, but anyway, the bank charged a small fee (maybe £15?) to carry out the currency exchange. It was certainly a lot cheaper than paying by CC. I’m sure a reputable company like BG would refund the money if there was a problem.

You can’t escape the taxes and FedEx will also charge a small “handling fee” to let you know about them! I think you can claim them back if you have to do a return.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve bank wired to BGD multiple times- through a wire company rather than my bank for fewer fees! No issues every time.

You may need to clarify with BGD re insurance, but I’m pretty sure they choose to send via FedEx BECAUSE of insurance.

I have never opted to send any of my stones back, so I’m uncertain re: returns. They are incredibly accommodating though, so no harm asking.

Good point made above re: setting and insurance while setting. While things will hopefully go fine, do be aware that you will have to assume some risk by having someone else set the stone. Again, I’ve never run into such an issue (DK set my BGD Blues into studs) and BGD set all the other ones for me.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your suggestions.

I have chatted with a Fedex rep. and found that my plan would be gonna collapse. They said shipped item value couldn't be higher than USD5,000. The max insured amount is USD1,000. That means vendor must buy additional insurance from a third company. Handling fee is USD41 and other custom and charges...

I am waiting for BGD till Monday to see what should be done!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @TUTU ... out of curiosity, which diamond did you pick? I’m sure I’m not the only one that would love to see your choice!

I assume that you could not find something you like better from a vendor with a longer return period or closer to you? This is something that I would consider from overseas ...

We just had a thread about a person who’s diamond was damaged during setting .... it would have been a whole sad mess if it wasn’t the diamond vendor that damaged the diamond, imo. If I were you, I would take a chance on getting the diamond set by BG, even if it means paying tax on the setting. After cutting, the biggest risk to the diamond is during setting.

The 3% off for wire transfer is a good deal and I would not worry about Brian Gavin. Vendors have to pay credit card companies 3% of their sales, so really they are getting the same amount but you get a break. In the absolute worst case scenario, you would be able to take them to court ... although this might not be possible from overseas or worth the hassle.

Honestly, if you are buying from overseas with a 15 day return period, I really hope you have picked one of the BG super-ideals so that you can be 99.9999% sure you won’t want to send it back. If that’s the case, then I really do think it would be a good idea to have BG set the diamond to save insurance hassle and reduce risk. I’m not sure ordering this diamond with the main purpose to “examine it first” is a good idea. I think you should go “all in,” being gosh darn sure you’ll love the diamond that you’re buying from the US before you get it, or order from somewhere else. If you’re overseas, there are super-ideal vendors on that side of the pond, and in the US there are vendors that will give you longer to examine it first.

How’s that for some unsolicited advice?

All the best to you!

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Hi @TUTU ... out of curiosity, which diamond did you pick? I’m sure I’m not the only one that would love to see your choice!

I assume that you could not find something you like better from a vendor with a longer return period or closer to you? This is something that I would consider from overseas ...

We just had a thread about a person who’s diamond was damaged during setting .... it would have been a whole sad mess if it wasn’t the diamond vendor that damaged the diamond, imo. If I were you, I would take a chance on getting the diamond set by BG, even if it means paying tax on the setting. After cutting, the biggest risk to the diamond is during setting.

The 3% off for wire transfer is a good deal and I would not worry about Brian Gavin. Vendors have to pay credit card companies 3% of their sales, so really they are getting the same amount but you get a break. In the absolute worst case scenario, you would be able to take them to court ... although this might not be possible from overseas or worth the hassle.

Honestly, if you are buying from overseas with a 15 day return period, I really hope you have picked one of the BG super-ideals so that you can be 99.9999% sure you won’t want to send it back. If that’s the case, then I really do think it would be a good idea to have BG set the diamond to save insurance hassle and reduce risk. I’m not sure ordering this diamond with the main purpose to “examine it first” is a good idea. I think you should go “all in,” being gosh darn sure you’ll love the diamond that you’re buying from the US before you get it, or order from somewhere else. If you’re overseas, there are super-ideal vendors on that side of the pond, and in the US there are vendors that will give you longer to examine it first.

All the best to you!

Hello Kmoro,

Your advice really makes sense to me. I very much trust BGD products but just in case I need to use the 15 days return. I really don't want to fall in this kind of trouble.

Here is the diamond I am finalizing.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ags-bl-104099153022#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/2/

I am actually concerned with the center of the stone where I could see some areas of "something that I can't name it" especially in ASET image. Slightly thick girdle is a bit undesirable and depth 61.9% is a bit "deep" to me. However, I asked the BGD staff about the true look, and she assured it is outstanding. I also looked at some others in the Black collection and saw they had quite similar features. I would much appreciate any ideas shedding some light for me.

Thank you in advance

TUTU

Rough_Rock

All the best to you!

By the way,

yes, I looked at local shops and couldn't found a decent one for 2 years. I even left my specs for them to order but nothing. Probably all the most beautiful diamonds in the world reside in the US:(2. I didn't check some high end reputed BM stores like Cartier or Tiffany as they are way out of my budget.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Kmoro,

Your advice really makes sense to me. I very much trust BGD products but just in case I need to use the 15 days return. I really don't want to fall in this kind of trouble.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ags-bl-104099153022#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/2/

I am actually concerned with the center of the stone where I could see some areas of "something that I can't name it" especially in ASET image. Slightly thick girdle is a bit undesirable and depth 61.9% is a bit "deep" to me. However, I asked the BGD staff about the true look, and she assured it is outstanding. I also looked at some others in the Black collection and saw they had quite similar features. I would much appreciate any ideas shedding some light for me.

Thank you in advance

Oh my gosh! I just looked at the diamond and the images and all I can say is WOW!!! They are GORGEOUS! The only thing missing is a hearts picture (or my ability to find it), but based on everything else, there’s no reason to think it’s not also great! Did you request a hearts image? Maybe just for fun? The diamond has a beautiful fluorescence and has been screened to make sure no ill effects. The images show beautiful symmetry and light performance. The stats match the images. It’s my opinion that depth adds dimension and I read somewhere that it contributes to brightness but I read a lot of crap articles; the point is that I don’t think you shouldn’t worry about the slightly thick girdle or depth at all ... you will not lose enough spread to it for any noticeable difference and they form part of your diamond’s unique personality!

Too much? lol

Here’s what I predict you will think:

upload_2019-4-27_4-31-51.gif upload_2019-4-27_4-32-9.gif upload_2019-4-27_4-32-33.gif

I really can’t imagine that you won’t be thrilled ... unless maybe you feel some mystical bad energy from it??? I can’t imagine any reason other than superstitions ... no, I don’t know any, but maybe someone else does :wink2:

What is it that you are concerned about in center? Can you describe it a bit better? Are my marks where you see a slight lack of symmetry? The diamond can be at a slight tilt when the picture is taken ... and if not, this is something you would never notice in real life performance. Or is it something else? I think maybe you’ve spent too much time on PS! lol ... just joking! There’s no such thing ... but lots of people, me included, can get to worrying about the diamond we chose. Mind-clean is always the challenge!

6225BF3D-9401-44E0-8845-203CB4F6E57B.jpeg

More seriously ... I think it would be wise ... very wise ... to have BG set the diamond for you ... save yourself a bunch of stress if they have a setting you like. I hope so.

If you’re serious about this diamond - please get on chat and have them put it on hold if you have not already (it shows as available right now) ... sometimes the lurkers will buy a stone out from under you, so if you really like it ... you know what to do.

Good luck!

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-27_4-55-26.gif
    upload_2019-4-27_4-55-26.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 13

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
By the way,

yes, I looked at local shops and couldn't found a decent one for 2 years. I even left my specs for them to order but nothing. Probably all the most beautiful diamonds in the world reside in the US:(2. I didn't check some high end reputed BM stores like Cartier or Tiffany as they are way out of my budget.

Oh, I’m not trying to imply that you haven’t tried! I’m not sure where you are? It sounds like it may be even more difficult at your location. I hear you on the budget ... I accidentally walked into a Cartier store when I was backpacking in Europe and was in such a panic to get out once I realized that I turned and walked straight into the plate glass window ... it was very embarrassing. Lots of people from outside the US buy from the PS vendors, so you’re not alone.

Here’s one: http://www.fortrez.com/about/infinity-diamonds/ I believe we’ve talked about Fortrez on PS before ... they are a trusted dealer. CBI will not let just anyone sell their diamonds. ETA: I see they have 21% VAT (!!!!) included in their prices... maybe they are more expensive but I’ll leave that homework for another day or another person.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m pretty sure that BG must have insurance for this sort of carriage, don’t they? If they say they will ship to your country, that is.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, BG will have insurance for this. If they ship to your country, they will make sure to have insurance for shipping. You don't need to worry about that. I would strongly recommend having them set the stone for you, as finding someone to set the stone might be annoying, AND the stone won't be insured against damage if someone else sets it. You would have to insure the stone prior to having someone else set it.

The stone itself is outstanding. Don't worry at all. It's going to be amazing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Kmoro,

Thank you in advance
I think the super zoomed images can give people unrealistic worries. The stone is going to be outstanding. It's in the top of top performers, and there are zero issues with it that I can see. I think you might be getting overly worried about details that won't be visible or noticible at all.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for all your inputs. I will clarify all the rest with their staff and update the final result soonest. I feel much more confident now to conclude it now.

Really really much appreciate!

Last edited:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TUTU , I did that from australia a couple of years ago. No issues with wire transfer. As for further discount than the wire transfer discount, I did a live chat with Lesley and was able to get a much more substantial discount than the minimum 3% on both of my purchases.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you an Aussie? I'm an Aussie I have bought a number of ring settings for myself and for others and paid via wire transfer to Brian Gavin, they are totally fine and actually have cheaper better quality settings that you will find here.

Next point if you need to return something use Australia Post small sized express shipping prepaid bags and you can buy extra insurance to whatever value you just pay extra for it, however anything over $2000AUD the person on the other end might have to pay US taxes and duties, although loose stones I think are exempt, returning a ring would be more difficult.

prepaid-international-express-satchel.jpg.auspostimage.1170-0.169.medium.jpg

Yang Kin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Some tips:
1. Look for reputable money transfer service that has lower exchange rates compared to banks. Use Google and ask in local forum to find out whether there is any. I have been using a particular money transfer service here in Malaysia and the exchange rate is cheaper, and best of all, no hidden fee. This means that the recipient will receive the exact amount. Anyway, as far as I know, BGD will absorb any wire transfer charges that occur at their end.

2. This is what one of my local forumer taught me: Receive your diamond in a country that does not incur taxes on luxury items like diamonds. He went to Hong Kong last time to receive the diamond since he was having holiday over there. I think there might be so sort of fee (I could be wrong), but it is still cheaper that getting tax 6% here in Malaysia last time. Now? I am getting my loose diamonds tax-free in Malaysia after the new government abolish the 6% GST. :)

3. The reason you cannot get Hearts image is because BGD does not market them as such. But since they are produced by the same cutters, it is highly likely the quality will be close enough or the same:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/news/brian-gavin-blue-vs-hearts-and-arrows/

TUTU

Rough_Rock
bmfang, thank you for the tip;)2
arkieb1, I am not Aussie. I am in Dubai. Dubai is also a hub for jewelry and I can find very skillful goldsmiths here...still on the verge of getting the setting by BGD to avoid chipping risk or buying loose diamond (just in a little case of need to return). And making a simple 1 truth head solitaire setting here is kind of 1/2 to 2/3 compared to BGD price
Yang Kin. it is a very good idea to receive the loose diamond where there is no VAT. But duty fee is something we still have to pay. Is it correct in M'sia?

I'm still in hope to receive sharing on the limit of USD5,000 online purchase. FedEx staff emphasized that items above that limit were prohibited. May I know any PSers have ever bought and got shipping diamonds above USD5,000?

Have a good Sunday!

Yang Kin

Rough_Rock
Trade
bmfang, thank you for the tip;)2
arkieb1, I am not Aussie. I am in Dubai. Dubai is also a hub for jewelry and I can find very skillful goldsmiths here...still on the verge of getting the setting by BGD to avoid chipping risk or buying loose diamond (just in a little case of need to return). And making a simple 1 truth head solitaire setting here is kind of 1/2 to 2/3 compared to BGD price
Yang Kin. it is a very good idea to receive the loose diamond where there is no VAT. But duty fee is something we still have to pay. Is it correct in M'sia?

I'm still in hope to receive sharing on the limit of USD5,000 online purchase. FedEx staff emphasized that items above that limit were prohibited. May I know any PSers have ever bought and got shipping diamonds above USD5,000?

Have a good Sunday!

Loose diamonds are exempted from duty in Malaysia as well. ;-). I only paid the exact amount stated on those online vendor website.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your suggestions.

I have chatted with a Fedex rep. and found that my plan would be gonna collapse. They said shipped item value couldn't be higher than USD5,000. The max insured amount is USD1,000. That means vendor must buy additional insurance from a third company. Handling fee is USD41 and other custom and charges...

I am waiting for BGD till Monday to see what should be done!

Most companies carry their own company insurance and so can ship large items through places like fed ex.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most companies carry their own company insurance and so can ship large items through places like fed ex.
Yup. You don't have to worry about this. They wouldn't ship to your country if they didn't have the ability to insure the package.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
Have no worries with wiring money to BGD. They will have proper insurance for the shipment. they do this when they ship within the US.
I also recommend that BGD do the setting. It will take a big headache away from you. What if your local jeweler chips the stone while setting, then the finger pointing will begin.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
UPDATE:

Received email from BGD today and they advised me to search in the USD5,000 range. They can't ship something higher value than this limit.

What to do!:cry2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE:

Received email from BGD today and they advised me to search in the USD5,000 range. They can't ship something higher value than this limit.

What to do!:cry2:
Huh, that seems odd. Diamond vendors ship MUCH more expensive packages than that all the time. Is it due to your specific counter location? I'm just really surprised.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Huh, that seems odd. Diamond vendors ship MUCH more expensive packages than that all the time. Is it due to your specific counter location? I'm just really surprised.

Now I know the limit of FedEx is by country. In Dubai it is usd5,000 but in other country, it is much higher. UK_ Usd25k, Malaysia usd50k... Really have no idea why it is so small in the UAE

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results