shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone want to see CAD pics for the garnet ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey all, I decided to go with something completely different than the garnet three stone ring. Sorry I haven''t posted pics of the stone yet (Malaya or whatever she is). My digital is on the fritz, but I will post pics of the ring when it is all done...I promise.
17.gif

I decided to go with an antique design instead of three stone. It was impossible to find garnet half-moons or traps...and actually I think it will be better without them. I have small fingers (4.5) and with a stone this size (8.2*6.7mm), I think the antique design will look better than a three stone. I''ve always wanted a ring reminiscent of my grandmother''s so this is what my jeweler and I came up with.

By the way, Brian Knox at KnoxJewelers and his son Ryan (CAD designer) are doing the work on this piece. They have been incredibly patient with my detailed/picky pricescoper demands and gave me a very reasonable quote. The metal for this is going to be 18k palladium. I think it will be a good compromise between platinum and white gold. As not many people have this metal, I will let you know how I like it later on. Also, the bridge area underneath the bezel connecting the underwires to the shank will be a bit thinner and will have a V-shape split shank design to mimic the v-shaped underwires. Also, the part connecting the leaves to the band will be thinner and rounded off. Finally, there will be very light delicate milgrain around the bezel and around the leaves later on.

Let me know what you think of these and if you have any suggestions.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
render 1

render1a.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
render 2

render2a.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
render 3

render3a.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
screen shot

screenshotaaa.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Red Beauty--Lady of the Evening

garnet35657.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
This was the inspiration for the ring.

art%20deco%20sapphire%20b.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wooooohooooooooooooo that is gonna be gawgeoussssss. Love the stone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it''s going to be amazing. Love it!!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, i think your decision to let your stone shine on its own w/o extra side garnets is the right one! i also think the design as posted is fabulous w/o changes. this design is going to highlight your red beauty in a way that will be striking and yet classic at the same time. amazing how much time and energy can be given over to this, isn''t it?!

movie zombie

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

Zombie, It is amazing how much time I can spend on this stuff, but I love it! It''s fast becoming a new hobby of mine.
30.gif

I''m glad I skipped the side stones too. Even though the stone is a bit dark, I still wanted to go with a bezel though. I love the way the bezel highlights the natural shape of the stone so that you can see all of the angles. It will be more secure this way too.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just gorgeous. I recognized the inspiration for the ring before I saw you had posted a picture of it! Brightspot''s ering also has this design on the shank. Just gorgeous. I think it looks much better like this than it would have with sidestones - it''s going to be a stunner for sure!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow -- what a great design! Can''t wait to see the finished ring!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Firegoddess, do you know if brightspot has any CAD images for her ring? It would be fun to compare our renderings to get an idea of what it will look like when it''s done compared to hers. I checked her posts and I found pics of the finished ring, but not the renderings. She has a beautiful ring, the halo with the space in between the stone and the halo makes her stone look huge. I''ll have to keep that in mind if I ever decide to halo my engagement ring.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here ya go, although I don''t think Quest ever put the CAD pieces together - you''ll see what I mean in this thread.
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks firegoddess! Interesting they didn''t put them together, they must have done the shank and the underwires by hand then. I specifically designed underwires that CAD could handle, but brightspot''s underwires look hand done and gorgeous! The leaves look pretty similar for both of our designs, that''s good to know.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
That is so pretty! I love garnets and can''t wait to see the finished ring. I think your Malaya/whatever garnet is a very beautiful and unique color.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thats so cool and I think it''s going to look great. I love that your designing it yourself on cad.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What did the other idea look like?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks innerkitten, I can''t wait to see your ring develops too! My origional idea was to have a three stone garnet ring with split prongs. The side stones were going to either be traps or half moons, but they were impossible to find. I could have had them custom cut or something, but it didn''t seem worth it...and the colors would be hard to match.

I think that design would have been nice...but too much like a sea of red, not much differentiation to see the center stone like Zombie said. If I had the money white diamond half moons would have been nice, but that would have doubled my budget. My fingers are small too, and the garnet center stone is already over 2 carats...

I think the three stone idea would have looked like a cocktail ring instead of a ring I could wear more often. It might havbe also over-powered my engagement ring which is only 3/4 of a carat.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Looks great! Hope it will be done soon
31.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brian just sent me the updated rending for the bridge area. Check out that reflection! I think it looks prett neat, and an improvement over the one above. Brian and Ryan have been fantastic to work with. They have done a really nice job making all of the details just right.

render4a.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

YUM-E! Can''t wait to see the finished product!!

cheers--Sharon

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
From a big garnet fan, that has to be one of the very best garnet rings I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, thanks GemKlctr!

Maybe I am overdoing it, but I figure every stone deserves a chance to looks it''s best, even inexpensive stones like garnets should be well cut and get to sit in nice settings. Personally, I think garnets are totally underrated...but that''s fine, more for me.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
That ring is beautiful! I have heard good things about Brian.

wonderfultimes

Rough_Rock
Hey, do you know what software to use for rendering these CAD images?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wonderful times, I''m sorry I don''t know. I think cad stands for computer aided design, but I just gave the specs to my jeweler and this is what they came up with. Maybe someone else knows the exact software name here?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Auto cad or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results