shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone want to see CAD pics for the garnet ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Umm... is the ring done yet...lol. Um... dying to see it, over here. Update?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw, thanks Gypsy. I really wish the ring were done too! Unfortunately, it will still be another couple of weeks. I told Brian no hurry, I rather have attention to detail. I do have an update on the waxes though. I think they look pretty darn sweet! This ring is going to be fabulous. Here''s the waxes: Ignore the x in the bezel, that is just for support during casting.

DSCN7767.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
another

DSCN7769.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
last one

DSCN7770.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That looks so delicate and lovely. And you''re welcome. UM... would it offend you if I asked for a ballpark range of what the setting is running you... and for the website for ''Dan'' who cut you your beautiful garnet? If the price thing offends... just ignore it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

Here is dan''s website, he was great to work with by the way. Very friendly, answers email fast, great customer service and reasonable prices.

http://customgemstones.com/

And here is brian knox''s website, and he was also amazing to work with. Incredibly attentive to detail, never forgot a thing, also answered email in a flash.

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=230&action=show&show_products_mode=cat_click

I would totally tell you the price, because I don''t care if you know...but I''m worried that someone I know will read it and discover my obsession with jewelry LOL...but I rationalize this one because it was a reward for getting a big grant I applied for.
9.gif
I will tell you it was over $500, but less than $1000, and feel free to email Brian if you want an exact number (my cad for the ring is on his website), but it might be more expensive now that metals have gone up.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the information... I''m like a squirel hoarding nuts with this stuff!
2.gif
Can''t wait to see the completed ring!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another little update. Getting closer!! The blocky things connecting the leaves to the shank will be thinned down.

casting.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VERY pretty... especially with those things slimmed down. Can''t wait to see the final product. I contacted them about my setting BTW. unfortunately they don''t do the type of work my project requires. But they were very nice and swift about the replies. YAY on your project!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another update, the ring is soooo close to being done. I just got the pics and I still thought the bars separating the leaves and the shank could be rounded a bit more. They are a big improvement though, and Brian was so patient about fixing this. Also, the final product is going to have a fine milgrain around the edge of the bezel. We also decided to rhodium plate it. It probably didn''t need it, since palladium is fairly white, but we thought it would make the stone pop a bit more and save time polishing in the future.

Here''s the link to my images on their website:
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=213&rn=848&action=show_detail

I will post pictures below, and when the final product is done I''ll start a new thread to show it off! yayers!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
one

semi-final1.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
two

semi-final2.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
three

semi-final3.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
four

semi-final4.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
five

semi-final5.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
six

semi-final6.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
last one

semi-final7.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks SDL, I can''t wait to put this ring on my finger!! I thought the milgraining would help make the bezel look a little more delicate and match the leaves and the original inspiration pic better. I''ll start a new thread with handpics and the final pictures once it''s done.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brian said that he would round out the bars more, but unfortunately he can''t milgrain the bezel...bummer. He said the bezel, "cannot be mil-grained as to do a milgrain properly you need a sharp or raised area. which of course we do not have. A bezel on a fragile stone like garnet will have a rounded edge as opposed to a sharp edge."

How do you guys feel about this, will it be a noticeable difference in person? I didn''t know that you couldn''t milgrain a softer stone.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well that''s a bummer - I do think the milgrain would have completed the look to perfection. Don''t get me wrong though...the ring is drop dead GORGEOUS! Love that setting design with that beautiful stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW!!! I SO wish they could have given me a qoute! That is just stunning! I would have loved the millgrain too...but it looks amazing without it. Oh... can''t wait for hand pics!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw, thanks gypsy. By the way, cute kitty in your avatar!! Out of curiosity, why didn''t knox agree to your design? I''d love to work with them again, and I''m wondering what their limitations are.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s another update, Brian gave me pictures of the bars rounded off a little more. I think it made a subtle, but sensational difference. It femmed it up a bit.

848_3_image.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to get this ring. I''ll start a thread with handpics as soon as I get it.

848_5_image.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They said that the custom cut channel set baguettes aren't something they are capable of doing at present.
7.gif
Oh well. I'll just have to come up with another project for them!
9.gif
Can't wait for hand pics!

ETA: the changes to the bars are REALLY great. Much more feminine.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, that''s too bad, but it''s good to hear it wasn''t metalwork they couldn''t do at least. Should be handpics in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results