shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD images of my custom ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi there,

I'm having a ring custom made by Quest (here's the first thread on the subject) & just got the preliminary CAD images. I wanted to know what you thought. Any questions or concerns? My mounting was inspired by this Fay Cullen ring (pic below), with a few changes to accomodate a wedding band. My diamond is a 1.23 ct RB, rather than a 1.09 ct OEC, so my ring should be a bit bigger than the one in the photos. I don't think this will be a problem, though, as I have long fingers. (ring size 7)

I'm trying to step back from the process before it's completed (so I can be a bit surprised by the ring when my bf proposes) & am wondering if I should just let my bf take it from here, or if I should ask to see pictures of the wax (Quest doesn't typically show them to its customers, but would be happy to do so) and/or final pics of the ring. What do you think?

Here's what Rose at Quest said about the process:

"Here are the CAD images of parts of your ring. Like I had
mentioned before, this ring had been hand made, and to just speed the
process up we will be making just a few things with the CAD. So all you
will be seeing is the center piece and the two little side pieces on
the
shank. The shank, halo and all the mill grain is done by hand. I know
these images can be confusing and some what deceiving but please trust
me when I say that this is going to be beautiful ring. Also I do want
to
mention to you that your center piece is going to be larger than the
one
in the picture because your diamond is so large. The total measurement
for your center piece is about 14mm. The diamonds that we are using
around the center diamond, measure 1.5mm. Let me know via email or
phone
when you are ready to move forward to the next step, which would be
cutting it out in wax then casting it. After its been casted the
jewelers will start building the pieces and putting things together."

Thanks, everyone for your help!
36.gif

fay cullen halo ring1.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
CAD image #1

e-ring View 1.JPG

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
CAD image #2

e-ring View 2.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay brightspot!!! I think they look great!!! Do they have one for the shank??

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, kaleigh! Any questions or concerns? It seems the width will be 14mm, which is pretty big, but I just cut out a 14mm square on a post-it & placed it on my finger (I''m nuts, I know!) & it fits. Does it look like the side pieces (picture below) will add to the width too much?

e-ring 3.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m terrible at judging width, I need a more specific example. But I do like the cad pic of the side. It''s looks right on to me.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
14mm
6.gif
wow that is going to be one serious piece of bling
6.gif
2.gif

i think the cad''s look great and all the extra diamonds will add more sparkle. i like how they modified the design to work with your stone and changed the sides just a touch while still leaving the overall antique look the same. I think it''s going to look fabulous and don''t worry, the proportions will be perfect. it is really hard to tell from the cad and even the wax''s are bigger than the actual rings end up being.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2005 2:54:31 PM
Author: mrssalvo
14mm
6.gif
wow that is going to be one serious piece of bling
6.gif
2.gif
That is definitely going to get noticed.....14mm is a honker! My pear with halo across the short side is 9 mm or so. From top to bottom with halo it''s around 12-13 mm. I''ve got size 7.5 ring finger, so on a size 7, that ring is going to be very substantial.

I do love the look of the ring, and how they''ve modified the design on the shank.

The hard part about seeing the wax is that it does give you an idea of how the ring will look but it is slightly larger than the finished product...and sometimes it is missing some elements. However, in your case, if it were me I would probably see the wax first if possible to make sure that I love the ring....from design to size. Granted it''s an estimate, but that is the time to make changes...not after.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
That is gorgeous! Just out of curiousity what holds the outer ring portion and the center together? I didn't get to see it in the picture and it is not included in the CAD image. The ring looks like it is going to be a beautiful piece!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for your comments. Do you guys think it''s going to be too big? I shrunk the CAD image down to 14mm & taped it to my finger. What do you think?

FG, wow--your ring is quite substantial, though smaller than this one? Hmm. Maybe it''s the airline... (though I don''t mind being noticed!

3.gif
) You''re right that I should definitely see the wax to make sure I like the design. Better to make changes then, rather than after it''s cast, etc. Surprises are overrated anyway...
2.gif

Lady, I''m not exactly sure what holds the center in place. I know there''s going to be some sort of lacework under the ring--perhaps this is what holds everything together?

Ring mock-up cropped.JPG

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! That is going to be a honker!
30.gif
Not too big by my standards! It looks juuuuuuuuuuuust right!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s going to be awesome!!!!!! Serious bling!!!
30.gif
36.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
BS - that''s exactly how much finger real estate I was estimating your ring would take up. A good majority of that finger joint!!
3.gif
Are you getting a w-band and if so, is the band going to sit under the halo? If so, I think the ring has quite a presence but is not too big. If the w-band was going to sit alongside the ring...then I think the e-ring would be too big for that. Otherwise....big, bold, beautiful and vintage-inspired.
36.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
You guys are awesome!
9.gif
Big fingers have to be good for something....
3.gif

Actually, I think it might not be quite as big as the picture I posted. I double checked & the total size should be 14mm, including the bits on the shoulder of the ring. (in the pic I posted, just the center section was 14mm)

FG, I was planning to get this wedding band from antiqueengagementrings.com (or a very similar ring.) Here are the specs: This very slim platinum diamond band is 2mm wide and only 1.4mm tall. Band contains 1/4 to 1/3 carats of G-H color and VS clarity diamonds (total weight varies slightly with ring size).

I sent the specs to Quest & they said that a ring like this would be able to slide under the halo & fit nearly flush w/ the shank.

Do you think this would look nice w/ the e-ring & compliment it w/o overpowering it? (I think this ring may be difficult to overpower!)
31.gif

narrow%20wedding%20band.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this band will be the perfect one to compliment your ering. It''s delicate and will fit under the ring nicely. Great choice!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, that''s MY wedding band
3.gif
2.gif

as you already know, i think that band would be PERFECT
36.gif
36.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the w-band - I think it will complement the halo design nicely. Quest''s email you quoted said the center piece itself was 14mm...so I''m confused about the ring now...will those marquise side things be flat on the top of your ring, or will they be on the vertical with the shank...or angled towards the top flat halo center thingy ???

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Yay--I''m glad you guys like the band!

LOL, mrssalvo--we will be w-band twins?
2.gif

FG, you''re right about what the Quest email said. After my first post, I emailed back to check to see if the side thingies would add more girth to the ring as I don''t have much finger real estate left!
3.gif
They said that the total width would be 14mm, including side pieces, so I''m not sure if the center piece will be smaller than 14mm or if the side thingies will be on the vertical with the shank or angled towards the halo so as not to take up additional space. You raise a lot of good questions...

So, I just realized that all of the sides on the CADs of the halo are even--more like a stop sign than a cut-cornered square. I''m not sure if I like that--I think I might prefer a more squared-off look. What do you think? (Don''t you love how observant I am?
20.gif
)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that you mention it I agree. I would have them tweak it so that they are more squared off like the ring is from FC. This is the beauty of seeing the cad designs and tweak them to perfection before it's cast.
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hadn''t noticed either, but as soon as you point it out, it''s obvious....3 stones per side in the CAD image...but in the Fay Cullen piece there are 3 stones on each long side, and 2 per corner. I think they both look good....but I think I lean towards the shorter corners as you''ve said. You should also definitely inquire as to how those marquise shaped things are going to connect to the ring! I''m so curious now.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brightspot,
See why I told ya to stay involved?? The corners are more squared in the FC ring and they are more rounded in the CAD pic.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would mention it to be sure but I think it''s just trying to put a 3-D object on a 1-D page it might be hard to capture those types of details. but it''s a good idea to double check and let them know what you''re thinking.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
brightspot,
Can you or someone good with photoshop, put the cad image next to the FC ring, like side by side. That would help us.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
they had to add the diamonds to accomadate her larger stone..my guess is they didn't want to increase the size of the melee used in the halo..i wonder how much wider that would make it?????
fay cullen ring.

fay%20cullen%20halo%20ring1.jpg

quest cad

e-ring%20View%201.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The other thing that I notice thanks to mrssalvo is that the FC has milgraining on the edges where the cad image does not. A minor detail, but wanted to point that out.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rose said in the original email the migrain will be done by hand. they just don''t incorporate all those details in a cad...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks mrssalvo!!! You are always one step ahead of me!!!!!
3.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting the pics, mrssalvo! I was trying to figure out photoshop, but am not so good at it...
8.gif

I wrote Rose to ask about the possibility of having the silhouette more squared off, like in the FC ring--I''ll let you know what she says. I''m not sure if it was a design choice or a way to accomodate my stone or both. I do wonder how much wider that would make it to do the more squared off version...

I''m definitely glad I''m staying involved in the process!
9.gif
This is fun!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2005 9:02:44 PM
Author: kaleigh
Thanks mrssalvo!!! You are always one step ahead of me!!!!!
3.gif

oh no, your way ahead of me
2.gif
i just went through all this with Quest so i''m a little familar with how they do things
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know all about Quest from Nan and Diamondlil. They do awesome work and if they were closer I would''ve had them do my SIL''S ring. But it''s too far for me!!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results