shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD images of my custom ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, i would be in BIG trouble if they were local, one custom long distance project for me
3.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the straight-on photo from FC for comparison''s sake. (the other one was at an angle, so harder to do a side-by-side comparison)

3.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Side by side comparison (sorry for the sloppy photoshop work)

halos copy.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Side by side comparison (sorry for the sloppy photoshop work)

ETA: AND the duplicate post! Doh! I think it's time for me to leave the computer...
20.gif

halos copy.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good job brightspot!!!! I just think that the cad image needs to be squared off as the FC ring is. What do you think???? The cad image is too rounded, IMHO????

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree with kaleigh. ask them about it, I like the FC version with less diamonds
6.gif
that gives it a slightly different look, let us know what Quest says..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo would know as she has dealt with them and now has a fabu ring!!!!! This is why I said you needed to be involved in the process brightspot. It will still be a suprise when you see the real deal. I would call them and ask about the points that were brought up if they are of concern to you. This is going to be such a beautiful ring. I just can''t wait to see it once it''s done.
1.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the update from Quest:

"Yes, I know what you mean, but like I had mentioned before, your
diamond
is significantly larger than the FC ring. Therefore, we have to do
things on a larger scale to keep up with that look. If we go smaller or
put less diamonds it will not be the same ring. The max that diamond is
in the picture you had given me is half a carat. There is just no way
to condense the outer section of your ring to the same size of the picture
unless we use a smaller center stone. As far as the shape of the halo
is concerned I can square it off more so that it is not so round, however,
the amount of diamonds that we are using is to accommodate the size of
the center stone. If we use less there is going to be empty spaces and
it will then look very awkward."

Actually, the diamond in the FC ring was 1.05 ct, but I know that, with an increase
in size of my diamond to 1.23 ct that the whole size of the center section
would increase exponentially.

My biggest concern is the shape of the halo being more squared off. Surely there''s a
way to do that without leaving empty spaces?

Does anyone have ideas on how to do this?
Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2005 9:04:10 PM
Author: BrightSpot

I wrote Rose to ask about the possibility of having the silhouette more squared off
Anything like this ?
2.gif

HexSq.JPG

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Great job ana! Your version looks yummy!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Ana, that looks amazing!!!
30.gif

Quest just emailed me back the new, revised CAD images & it looks like it''s somewhere between their first version & the version you just posted. What do you think?

e-ring View 1 revised.JPG

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Comments from Quest:

"Here are the revised images, let me know what you think so that
we can move forward. I did make it more square and tried to squeeze in
3 diamonds on top and 2 at the angle. I hope that this looks more like
what you had wanted. Also the total size shrunk down to about 13.5mm so
that''s a good thing too."

Thoughts?

e-ring View 2 revised.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s much better!!!
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2005 1:27:18 PM

Also the total size shrunk down to about 13.5mm so that''s a good thing too.''

Thoughts?
That''s ok, of course. I would think the finish (esp. millgrain on edges) will crave it down to 13mm flat. Which sounds good to me.

I wish they could put up a drawing of the complete ring, even if it done by hand not CAD (just like the ring will).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, i think the new cad is closer to the FC piece. Do you know if the FC stone is an Old cut? if so, it is possible that it faces up smaller than a modern round 1 carat, the diameter would be less. I have an old cut that is 1.19 carats but only has a 6.5 diameter so it "looks" like a 1 carat. maybe that why the center stone in the FC seems smaller. Your stone is quite a bit bigger which will make the setting more substantial. I like the image ana posted too. maybe you could email her photoshop cad and see if it can be done. the design changes may be why FC wouldn''t do it for your size stone to begin with. Rose said they will have to do things on a larger scale..you have to decide if you will like that look. it''s really hard to tell from the cad though. when quest did my ring, they actually went smaller. the diamond in the pic I sent was 1.5 carats. they had to modify the design several times to accomodate for the smaller size stone and my small 3 1/2 ring size. They are experts and will know what will work and still look good. if you go with their new design i think it will be Gorgeous but it will be a little different in it''s look and feel than the FC ring. is that ok with you?

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Good call, mrssalvo--the FC ring is a 1.05 ct OEC. I''m sure it does face up smaller than a rb. I know the overall ring will be larger than the FC ring, but I think that''s ok with me. I have the finger space for it...
10.gif

So, I just ok''d the new CADs from Quest, but told Rose that I wanted to stay involved in the process & see the wax, casting, setting steps, etc.

I''ll check to see if they can provide me with some sort of drawing of the complete ring as well.

This is exciting!
36.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Update from Quest:

"I''m so happy you like everything. However to answer your
question about giving you pictures, that''s somewhat impossible, because
the jewelers are doing everything by hand, and to stop them in the
process to take pictures or to draw it out would really slow things
down for you and for us here at the office as well, because it will delay
other projects. But I will definitely send you completed photo
snapshots of the ring so that you have them.

Also I wanted to say that the stone will be girdle set, if you
notice in the picture, the diamond sticks out, therefore to get that
look we have to set it from the girdle of the diamond."

It makes me a little nervous not to be able to see the ring in progress.
33.gif

What do you guys think?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2005 11:08:48 AM

It makes me a little nervous not to be able to see the ring in progress.
That is usually the case, even if the jewelry shop is located downtown... At most I would expect a very scketchy hand drawing of the finished piece in the beginning. Really scketchy - perhaps like these. The CAD images are already allot more precise ( = closer to the look of the finished components) than such hand drawings would allow.

It is quite possible that Quest does not provide hand drawings for the pieces that are not entirely CAD designed and cast close to the finished form, if most of their work is CAD-based.

Just some 0.2 worth. I must be a tad biased towards having drawings as means of comunication because I tend to use lots ofthem for anything (you might have guessed from all those posts alreay)
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I would want a sketch, but they may not have someone that can do that well. I mean I''m no artist. I don''t see why they can take a pic and email it to you??? I mean that takes no time at all unless you''re me!!!!
3.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think the response is unreasonable especially given Quest''s record of making sure the customer is happy and how competitive their pricing is.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw nothing on my ring, no wax, no cad/drawing, nothing. i had to go on blind faith it would look how and i wanted it too. they remade the ring until it was perfect before showing it to me. they will do it right. do not worry about that at all. if you are unhappy for any reason they will fix it, no questions asked. they are not set up like WF to snap pics of everything during the process. It will just add to the element of surprise
36.gif
36.gif
2.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for your reassurances! I know Quest will do a fabulous job, I''m just nervous as this is my first custom project! (I tend to be a little obsessive by nature as well...
20.gif
)

Time for me to relax & breathe...
25.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Your ring will be beautiful, no question about it. Quest''s reputation is excellent. I love seeing the CAD drawings of the components, and I like that they can give you the exact measurements of everything calculated by the CAD. When Quest did my ring, I was paranoid because they could not show me a profile CAD of my ring (just face up). It turned out perfect, but at the time it was driving me nuts not to see every angle in a precise picture -- I''m a measurement fanatic.

Did they tell you the exact delivery date?

DiamondLil

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, diamondlil! I tend to want to know all the details of things too, so I''m going to have to try to distract myself a bit for the next couple of weeks.

Quest said my ring should be ready before the 4th of July weekend.

As you''re a self-proclaimed measurement fanatic, could you share the measurements of the center portion of your ring? I''m just trying to get a sense of perspective on size as mine''s going to be pretty darned big...
23.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hi BrightSpot,
I just realized I never gave you the measurements that you requested. I meant to look them up and then completely forgot.

My pear is 11.48 x 6.82. With the halo around the stone it now measures 15.92 x 10.22!!! It sounds ginormous, but on my hand it does not seem too big. I like big rings, so I''m comfortable with it. My e-ring is a size 6 (I can wear a 5.75 if it''s a thin band).

I can''t wait to see your ring -- It won''t be long now!
36.gif

DiamondLil

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi Diamondlil,

Thanks so much for posting the measurement of your halo! It''s quite a substantial ring and looks absolutely amazing on your finger! As my finger is size 7 to your 6, I should be ok w/ my halo being 13.5mm.

I can''t wait to see my ring either!
9.gif
Quest finished casting most of
the pieces, and once they are all done, the jewelers will start making
the rest of the pieces and putting them together. Yay!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Another update: hopefully my bf will have ring in hand by next weekend. Yay! I hope he doesn''t wait too long to give it to me...
36.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/1/2005 11:17:08 AM
Another update: hopefully my bf will have ring in hand by next weekend. Yay! I hope he doesn''t wait too long to give it to me...
36.gif

How exciting BS!!! You know it''s coming!! That in itself must be exciting!!! Keep us posted...can''t wait to see the hand shots!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I know, I''m really excited!
9.gif

The ring will be sent directly to my bf & I''ve decided not to have Quest send me pics of the final product so the first time I see it will be when my bf proposes. How exciting!
36.gif
(And just a little unnerving...)
23.gif

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know how I missed the updates on this thread! Looks Great! Can''t wait to see it in person!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results