shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone use Mark Morell?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He sets stones in Concord MA.
I am doing a search, and will read all the threads.
I just wondered if anyone had anything else to say about him.

I am considering having him set my 2.26 Asscher.

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
He has a flawless reputation as far as I''ve ever read or heard here on Pricescope. And his fluid work with platinum is
30.gif

For a while he wasn''t taking any new projects on because of overload (at the time I was searching actually!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sure people will be chiming in, I just wanted to say, if you get that Asscher set in a MM, I may not speak to you again.

I just said this about him the other day, he''s in a class all his own.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
His work is outstanding. Just know that it could be a long wait. Not sure if he is taking on new projects right now. Best to call him and ask him. Oh Kenny, that would be awesome!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen wrote, "I just wanted to say, if you get that Asscher set in a MM, I may not speak to you again."

Gosh if I knew it was going to be that easy I''d have gotten a MM ring long ago.
Hahaha.
Just kidding :hug:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 1:33:40 PM
Author: kenny
Ellen wrote, ''I just wanted to say, if you get that Asscher set in a MM, I may not speak to you again.''

Gosh if I knew it was going to be that easy I''d have gotten a MM ring long ago.
Hahaha.
Just kidding :hug:
9.gif
9.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just spoke to Mark.

What a wonderful man.
I got a very good feeling about working with him.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 2:27:00 PM
I just spoke to Mark.

What a wonderful man.
Well??? Are you going to do it??? Did he give you any idea of his schedule?

This is TOO exciting...that incredible asscher DESERVES a MWM mounting!!!
3.gif

widget

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 2:41:06 PM
Author: widget
Well??? Are you going to do it??? Did he give you any idea of his schedule?

This is TOO exciting...that incredible asscher DESERVES a MWM mounting!!!
3.gif

widget
Yes, yes it does.
18.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Cymbrie got her gorgeous GOG asscher set by him. Does he still have a long waiting list?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 2:27:00 PM
I just spoke to Mark.

What a wonderful man.
Cool!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
His work is perfection. I cannot wait to see what you decide!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used Mark for my ring in 2005. He was great to work with and very concerned about making sure he gets the ring exactly the way you want it. Great pride in his work, but no ego at all which is a rare combination. I wanted something quite different from the norm, and he went to great pains to make sure that I knew what I was asking for (it''s a very wide band but that''s what I wanted), that I''d be happy with what he was desigining, and I was. He did a beautiful job. I love both the fluidity and simplicity of his work. He can do the more ornate Leon Mege style too but he''s the very best there is when the focus is on the flowing nature of his platinum. I''d use him again in a heartbeat.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
*Drool*
18.gif
30.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what his schedule is - but it IS a month before the holidays so I'm sure he's swamped.
Instead of asking him how quickly he could do it I told him there is no hurry.
He liked that.
I told him my priority is the mechanical integrity and gem protection first, aesthetics next.
He liked that too.

I do not have a design or even an idea of what I want, though I do have some basics:
Simple
Clean
Masculine
Platinum, probably brushed but maybe polished as long as it is not flashy
Draws no attention away from the stone, sort of a minimal non-design actually that you don't notice, yet is beautiful in craftmanship
Max gem protection - but with max gem visibility, rivaling a tension setting
Minimum gem height - The asscher so bulky already I'm concerned about being self conscious wearing it, so I don't want a setting that pushes it up higher

I'm not sure how to go about collecting ideas.
There are so few men’s rings floating around, let alone with a substantial asscher.
When I look at Gents rings in catalogs they mostly look unattractive to me (to put it kindly).

Does anyone know of websites with men's rings that might work?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
This ring is going to be amazing! Whatever mm''s wait is, it will be worth it. There is a man here on ps that has a beautiful round blue diamond set into a ring that is a really attractive design. It''s not tension, but it has a clear view of the profile and I believe the setting is low. Can anyone jog my memory as to who the owner is of this men''s ring I''m thinking about??

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Kenny ... did you see the Tiffany Lucida men''s band Ries posted today? I can totally see something like that for your baby ... almost hammer-set into gently brushed platinum ... so that the sides just cup the angles of the asscher, folding around it - but maybe the very top & bottom straight surfaces are open.

I haven''t ever seen it done ...so I can''t show you a pix exactly ... but it would be a combo of the Tiffany lucida type setting & a semi bezel setting ... with the bezeling following the lines of the asscher except for the very top & bottom ...

The band would be the exact width of the asscher .. metal metal metal flowing into asscher..gripped by metal metal metal.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
You''re right, there aren''t many good men''s rings out there. Here are a couple men''s asschers I found but I don''t know how I feel about them.

SRSI7450_P_med.jpg

Well, I couldn''t get the picture for the other one but it was a bezel set 3 stone asscher men''s ring from WF.

these two are kind of scary but interesting
RD_MensPrinCut.jpg

men_s_emerald_cut_diamond_ring.jpg

sorry if they are all bad... men''s rings are hard!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the bezel set rectangular Tiffany Lucida ring.

Imgine a less bulbous/curvy version of this ... where the stone was an asscher, the band was the same width as the stone and the bezel didn''t extend all the way around the stone ... just hugged the sides, semi-bezel style.

kennyring.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check out how Tiffany bezels the lucida side stones ... kinda like this ... only with the band equal size as the stone, not tapering up ...

I like the look of the bezel all the way around as shown here .. but since you mentioned you liked the "tension" look ... you could go "semi-bezel" & have a very similar look.

asscherinabezel.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See my avatar.
The stone has 8 sides.

Should the band be as wide as the whole stone or only as wide as the two opposite sides?
If so, the stone would extend beyond the width of the band.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s today''s thread on Ries''s future husband''s lucida band. It might help explain my idea.

The Lucida stones all have eight sides too ... I kinda like the idea of the band being the width of the whole stone -- or at least swooping up to be the width of the whole stone WHERE it meets the stone. I think it will be more mascuiline this way AND will protect the most vulnerable areas of the stone as well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LucMens2.jpg

That''s a beautiful ring that appeals to me a lot.
But that is a 0.11 carat stone.

But if it was scaled for a 2.26 ct. it would be huge, almost like a bracelet.
23.gif

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kenny -

You might want to check on Mark''s site - the 2005 section - and look at Matt-Li-CP-001s which is a woman''s ring with a round but has the tension setting look and might be a starting point in your discussion with him. In my experience with him, Mark likes to work from pictures and drawings instead of descriptions. I''m more of a verbal person so it was a challenge for me to find or draw what I wanted because I hadn''t seen anything like it. But it really helped the process when I finally did start from a picture and then drew on it to show what I was thinking of for design.

One of the things I love about my ring is the famous MWM polish. I doubt your band will be much wider than mine (mine is 9mm!) and I don''t think it''s flashy at all. Certainly nothing to compete with that fabulous rock of yours. So I''d encourage you to consider the polished look. And Mark was great about factoring in both gem protection and setting the stone low becaise those were high priorities for me too. My ring has taken a direct hit many a time and I''ve never had so much as a strand of hair get caught in the prongs because they''re still so nice and tight after a year and a half. His work is phenomenal.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks rainwood.
Yes his polish does have a very creamy look to it.

9mm is very substantial.
My stone is only 7.4mm so the band won't be wider than 7.5mm, hopefully less.
Asschers face up small.

That design was interesting but I wouldn't want full bezel or the shape of the stone continuing down into the ring.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

chas

Rough_Rock
Kenny,

Mark is a good friend of mine! He has created (2) gents rings for me. One for my Eightstar and one for my Superbcert. His work is absolutely flawless and well worth the wait! You will not be disappointed with your creation and his masterpiece!

Chas

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show us the rings, Chas!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 8:57:39 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Show us the rings, Chas!
Seriously!! I''d love to see more men''s rings around here! I''m still swooning over that Christian Bauer=esque black diamond channel set brushed platinum band SOMEONE around here had made by Whiteflash?? Oh no .. now I have to search for the pix.

MORE MEN''S MORE MEN''S!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 9:00:02 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 11/28/2006 8:57:39 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Show us the rings, Chas!
Seriously!! I''d love to see more men''s rings around here! I''m still swooning over that Christian Bauer=esque black diamond channel set brushed platinum band SOMEONE around here had made by Whiteflash?? Oh no .. now I have to search for the pix.

MORE MEN''S MORE MEN''S!!!
Men''s rings need to be posted!!! Please share your ring with us Chas!!! You''ll not only be helping Kenny, but many other''s that visit PS!!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results