shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone NOT like Christmas music??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...with the exception of a very few songs, I really just can't stomach Christmas music. DH thinks I'm acting like the Grinch because every time one comes on the radio, I have an immediate negative visceral reaction and have to turn the station. *seriously* About 95% of them seriously make me nauseas and on edge. My heart rate even increases. :( I don't hate Christmas, but it is a stressful time, at work and personally. I can't help but roll my eyes when I see the decorations go up in stores the day after Halloween...

I can't remember when I became so averse to listening, but I do know working in retail pharmacies didn't help... as they played nonstop 24/7 (for me, that meant at least 10 hours every day I worked). Also, patients/customers generally act the worst during this time as well. Maybe they're stressed... who knows? But add the attitudes with the nonstop Christmas music, and I'm basically miserable. Every now and then, a song I can tolerate will come on to ease the "pain," but those are few and far between.

I saw these memes posted on a group pharmacist FB page recently, and I just wondered if anyone else is like me. ...or if I am truly the Grinch. LOL ;-)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't *hate* it... but I reach a point pretty early every season when I'm OVER IT. I reached that point last weekend, LOL, after having it on all day Saturday and Sunday while I wrapped presents. DONE. FOR. THE. SEASON.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Me. I have gotten sick of Christmas entirely already this year. I tend to stay up fairly late on the weekends, and when I can't find anything else to watch, I end up watching Frasier on Hallmark. Well, they started running nothing but Christmas movies (which they do every year) before October was done. This will continue till sometime in January. And that's bad enough, but then they do a countdown to Christmas - again with only Christmas movies - in July! Add that to all the Christmas commercials, decorations and music......I am over Christmas already. Thanks for the platform for my little rant. :lol:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If it ain't from a gaggle of carolers on the doorsteps, don't care for it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't *hate* it... but I reach a point pretty early every season when I'm OVER IT. I reached that point last weekend, LOL, after having it on all day Saturday and Sunday while I wrapped presents. DONE. FOR. THE. SEASON.

HAHA!! I completely understand! I believe I reached my limit in the fall/winter of 2003, which is when I started practicing. ;-) #done

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me. I have gotten sick of Christmas entirely already this year. I tend to stay up fairly late on the weekends, and when I can't find anything else to watch, I end up watching Frasier on Hallmark. Well, they started running nothing but Christmas movies (which they do every year) before October was done. This will continue till sometime in January. And that's bad enough, but then they do a countdown to Christmas - again with only Christmas movies - in July! Add that to all the Christmas commercials, decorations and music......I am over Christmas already. Thanks for the platform for my little rant. :lol:

Oh, GAWD... I know what you mean! Hallmark is NEVER on in our house during the holidays (or ever really)... same for Lifetime. Rant awaaaaaaay!! ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it ain't from a gaggle of carolers on the doorsteps, don't care for it.

I actually think I could handle the older carols and hymns better than the cheesy ones. I mean, I really DGAS that "grandma got run over," much less by what. *evil grin*

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! ;-)

Reactions: AV_

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's really only one song I can't stand, and it's "Santa Baby". Otherwise, I'm fine with all Christmas music.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Me too, @msop04 ... Some of the good old carols are not too couth, but subtly enough to go right past young ears! I'd say that this side of tradition is growing faster than the demure part, but the vibe remains. Old is good.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that everyone knows I'm a big 'ole grouch when it comes to Christmas songs, I think I should at least list some songs that I can tolerate... and some I really like, in no particular order and not limited to these:

Where are you Christmas? (Faith Hill) **FAVORITE**
Tennessee Christmas (Alabama)
Christmas in Dixie (Alabama)
Angels Among Us (Alabama)
Last Christmas (Wham!)
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Judy Garland)
I'll be home for Christmas (Bing Crosby)
White Christmas (Bing Crosby)
All I Want for Christmas is You (Mariah Carey)
...and pretty much any old religious hymn

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's really only one song I can't stand, and it's "Santa Baby". Otherwise, I'm fine with all Christmas music.

Gag... that one makes my ears bleed. :(

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 , I totally get it.
I worked retail for many, many years.
Retail ruins Christmas for the workers. I am forever damaged by non-stop Christmas music and generally the whole month of December.
In the retail world, Christmas starts the day after Halloween.
And the holiday music starts the day after Thanksgiving.
And you get to hear it all for 8 hours, every day. I always looked forward to the 26th, when the "normal" music would come back.
I absolutely cannot willingly listen to it anymore.
I laugh when I think that before retail I had Christmas records and CDs.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too, @msop04 ... Some of the good old carols are not too couth, but subtly enough to go right past young ears! I'd say that this side of tradition is growing faster than the demure part, but the vibe remains. Old is good.

I rather like the old church hymns... I think they're really pretty. :)

bespokecarmel

Shiny_Rock
Just drove Miami Beach to Palm Beach with the car radio set on the ‘All Holiday’ Music Station. Sang along LOUDLY the entire drive...

Partner was sitting in the passenger seat...:eek2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For many years I didn't even put up a tree!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate Christmas music! I try as hard as I can not to hear any but the office puts it on around now. I want to scream when I hear rocking around the Christmas tree. I think of Kevin in home alone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 , I totally get it.
I worked retail for many, many years.
Retail ruins Christmas for the workers. I am forever damaged by non-stop Christmas music and generally the whole month of December.
In the retail world, Christmas starts the day after Halloween.
And the holiday music starts the day after Thanksgiving.
And you get to hear it all for 8 hours, every day.
I absolutely cannot willingly listen to it anymore.
I laugh when I think that before retail I had Christmas records and CDs.

I cannot like this enough!! #same

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For many years I didn't even put up a tree!

I like to look at the trees, but putting them up and decorating them really exacerbates my OCD and anxiety. I told my husband when we get a bigger house, I want a room with enough storage space to simply slide fully decorated trees out and then slide them back in each year.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate Christmas music! I try as hard as I can not to hear any but the office puts it on around now. I want to scream when I hear rocking around the Christmas tree. I think of Kevin in home alone.

Dear Lord... I loathe that song - and that movie. I'm lucky in that the clinic I work in now doesn't play anything - we don't even have a loud speaker! I may be slowly gaining back a little sanity after almost 6 years of no work music. When I worked for the "big box" pharmacies, I had anxiety every day during the holidays simply due to the music... throw in incredible volume and rude customers, and voila! Holiday bliss... :(

Reactions: AV_

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just drove Miami Beach to Palm Beach with the car radio set on the ‘All Holiday’ Music Station. Sang along LOUDLY the entire drive...

Partner was sitting in the passenger seat...:eek2:

Jesus... just the mere thought of that sends my heart rate through the roof. I can't even imagine the hell that would be for me. I've been playing Pandora in the car lately... for the simple fact that almost every damn station plays holiday music (at least some). Me? I'm jammin' out to my "Fifty Shades of Grey" soundtrack and "Hip Hop BBQ" station. :lol: :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE Christmas music! Just sayin.....:kiss2:
I hate the ugly Christmas sweater trend.
We all have our limits :P2

I've never really done the ugly Christmas sweater thing -- don't think it would be very fun for me. I don't even like sweaters, much less ugly ones. ;-)...but I can see how that trend could be hated. :lol:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Former retail worker here. Yeah definitely not my favourite music. I really only like Carol of the Bells and maybe one or two others. But I don't go out of my way to look for it. Had more than my fill of it the years I was working.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Former career in retail here! :wavey: I feel you!

I don't dislike all holiday music, and some of the pop songs I find meaningful (Do They Know It's Christmas Time) but I'm super glad to read this year that at least one radio station has BANNED the "date rape" Christmas song : https://ew.com/music/2018/12/02/baby-its-cold-outside-banned-by-cleveland-radio-station/

Personal favorite (bleeding heart 80s baby!):

I'm the same... any situation where you're dealing with the public SUCKS. ...and I freaking love 80's music toooooo!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Former retail worker here. Yeah definitely not my favourite music. I really only like Carol of the Bells and maybe one or two others. But I don't go out of my way to look for it. Had more than my fill of it the years I was working.

I feel like all anyone who has worked retail for a good bit of time (or less if just for the holidays) may like Christmas music less then when they started. :lol:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Muzak in shopping Malls should be banned, it’s awful, and there should be a law that Christmas “festivities” can only start in December - not October!
What I “love” NOT is the day the Christmas stuff comes down, out comes the Easter stuff!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite Christmas music is listening to the Nutcracker Suite. I also like Celtic christmas music, and Christmas carols on the piano (or other instrumental versions, or live choral versions). I have limited patience for the holiday songs played on repeat starting right after Thanksgiving. A little goes a long way, say the week or so before Christmas.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Muzak in shopping Malls should be banned, it’s awful, and there should be a law that Christmas “festivities” can only start in December - not October!
What I “love” NOT is the day the Christmas stuff comes down, out comes the Easter stuff!

#preach

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite Christmas music is listening to the Nutcracker Suite. I also like Celtic christmas music, and Christmas carols on the piano (or other instrumental versions, or live choral versions). I have limited patience for the holiday songs played on repeat starting right after Thanksgiving. A little goes a long way, say the week or so before Christmas.

I can handle those... I love TSO and even saw them in concert last year. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results