shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone know about jade?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
So I fell in love with a lovely 4 carat GIA certified jade ring set with nice .45 carats of side diamonds set in platinum,
My eye tells me it’s a nice piece of jade but I know just enough to know I am out of my league.
The certification says no indication of E8F54CF5-9835-4E37-A3C9-FFF1606E885E.jpeg 44ED9548-5F22-4AA6-8CCE-031493D9B125.jpeg E4EC70A1-6A20-4F62-A5C9-5A8E64A91FC1.jpeg treatment.
Very nice vivid green.
If anyone can chime in on this it would be great.
Thinking if wearing it as a pinky ring!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I was hoping she would play well with my Art Deco 1.10 carat center stone F/VVsi OEC platinum ring....but now I’m doubting myself....

Attachments

• DD8771B1-D253-49C6-A1AD-CCB20EAC12D9.jpeg
    DD8771B1-D253-49C6-A1AD-CCB20EAC12D9.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 14

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah Jade.
ive tried to understand it but I think it’s a life long study.
treatment is No 1.
Grade A jade has had no treatment except some traditional waxing. Grade B jade has been enhanced or perhaps fissure filled Grade C is dyed and impregnated. Having a reputable lab cert is essential especially as some treatments are very difficult to detect.
Then we move into interpretation of the natural inclusions. Obviously translucent is top but assessment of crystal form, inclusion crystals, colour saturation, number of colours, stone lines, source of jade etc all have an impact on price.
The difference in price for say a delightful green bangle can be $500,000 vs $5,000 vs $5.

TJF

Rough_Rock
Being a jade enthusiast can be rewarding, especially if you stumble upon a jadeite. This jade type can fetch up to $3M per carat, such as the deep green/highly translucent variants.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
‘A’ jade so is ok, not treated jade but I have some reservations:
- jade doesn’t seem to have good translucency or glow from pics (“water” isn’t good)
- visible black dots - those would take some value away from the jade

So it all depends on the price. If you like it anyway and the price is excellent, go for it. If it costs a fair bit then imo not worth the price.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Ah Jade.
ive tried to understand it but I think it’s a life long study.
treatment is No 1.
Grade A jade has had no treatment except some traditional waxing. Grade B jade has been enhanced or perhaps fissure filled Grade C is dyed and impregnated. Having a reputable lab cert is essential especially as some treatments are very difficult to detect.
Then we move into interpretation of the natural inclusions. Obviously translucent is top but assessment of crystal form, inclusion crystals, colour saturation, number of colours, stone lines, source of jade etc all have an impact on price.
The difference in price for say a delightful green bangle can be $500,000 vs $5,000 vs $5.

Being a jade enthusiast can be rewarding, especially if you stumble upon a jadeite. This jade type can fetch up to $3M per carat, such as the deep green/highly translucent variants.

‘A’ jade so is ok, not treated jade but I have some reservations:
- jade doesn’t seem to have good translucency or glow from pics (“water” isn’t good)
- visible black dots - those would take some value away from the jade

So it all depends on the price. If you like it anyway and the price is excellent, go for it. If it costs a fair bit then imo not worth the price.

Thank you. You all verified what I was feeling anyway...that it wasn’t the greatest jade I’ve ever seen.
I tried it in different lighting and I could see the black dots and it wasn’t as lovely as I wanted.
Back it goes!
Thanks again =)2

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, even certified "A" jadeite varies greatly in quality and price. The stone you were considering had uneven, mottled color, and not much translucence (aka water content :)) The black specs are a big no-no. Not the worst quality I have ever seen, but miles away from the best.

If you want to learn more about jade, and have a spare couple of days :mrgreen2:, there is a huge thread here that taught me just about everything I know about jadeite. LINK

femmemannequin

Rough_Rock
if you take a pen light and shine thru you might see even more little horrors so yea good choice to pass on it
So I fell in love with a lovely 4 carat GIA certified jade ring set with nice .45 carats of side diamonds set in platinum,
My eye tells me it’s a nice piece of jade but I know just enough to know I am out of my league.
The certification says no indication of E8F54CF5-9835-4E37-A3C9-FFF1606E885E.jpeg 44ED9548-5F22-4AA6-8CCE-031493D9B125.jpeg E4EC70A1-6A20-4F62-A5C9-5A8E64A91FC1.jpeg treatment.
Very nice vivid green.
If anyone can chime in on this it would be great.
Thinking if wearing it as a pinky ring!

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stuff is imperial jade, or apple green damn close to imperial? Almost too good a price considering all the gold and diamonds...

I doubt it is imperial, beyond that perhaps it would have graded as apple but I simply dont know enough about jade to be sure. Luckily the jeweler is right next to Nanyang labs which is a very good lab for jade, and you would be able to ask for the report from Nanyang which is the only thing Id trust anyway (as the fancy names are otherwise just another form of marketing). I imagine this piece is long gone though, there is not a lot of stock arround and it sells very quickly at the moment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results