shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone go from a halo to baguette solitaire

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Im considering going from a halo to a solitaire with baguette side stones. I love the sleek and clean look of step cuts but worried that I'll miss the girly bling of melee stones.
Has anyone gone from something more glittery to a step cut? Do you miss the sparkle? The size?
What are your thoughts on a round halo center with baguettes on the sides? Is that too much? I've seen only a few halos with baguettes on the shank and they look bulky. I don't know if this will not be the case if it's made well? I'm considering DK but I hear JannPaul prices are ok too?
Current center stone is a RB.
Pictures are appreciated! Thank you :)

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala comes to mind!
Lol! Yes. Me! I have to say that I do miss my halo. Sometimes. I had always wanted a classic setting like this. And wanted to see my stone shine. I do appreciate it for that. But I think another thing to consider is the overall statement that it makes. Lol. I feel like the halo is screams for attention, which I love. It makes me feel trendy. Like when I go to weddings or parties, the millenials compliment my ring. They are drawn to the ornate setting.

The baguette soli is very understated and doesn’t elicit reactions. I feel it conveys that I’m a traditional person, when I’m not. This is all how I feel, mind you. It makes me miss being fashionable, lol, kwim?

But being a serial resetter, I don’t really feel stuck. I still have 2 halo settings. But I’m enjoying this setting for now.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have had a round with baguette side stones for nearly 15 years. I tried a halo for a hot minute. It was a reset disaster and I went back to my round with baguettes. I agree with @nala I think the halo is an attention grabber. I get compliments on my ring, but it's always to say "oh it's so classy, understated, traditional," etc. I am those things, so it has never bothered me. I did chip a baguette over a year ago, and I recently ordered a new setting in the James Allen mothers day sale.

Have you tried any on in real life? It's a classic setting, but it is one that is also hard to pair with a band.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never had a halo setting. I do like them, but they’re just not “me”. At least, I don’t think they are...lol!
I reset an OEC that I inherited. I reset it from a YG plain gold soli to a white gold custom semi mount (pre-loved by a PSer’s mother) with baguette side stones. One of my all time favorite settings...EVER!
I’m a step cut lover through & through, but I really LOVE how complimentary the new setting is to the OEC. It’s a great combination!
Here’s the thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ps-red-carpet-debut-nancy.235090/

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3E166323-836E-422F-BD0E-905CE766EB02.jpeg 5413551A-DD65-4750-9CAE-B95D0BFFA6CB.jpeg Before and after

Oddly enough I like your baguette setting better. The size of your stone compared with the setting style and the way the baguettes angle up look really good and clean IMO. What surprises me is I'm not a fan of baguettes and this made me appreciate them. Kudos. Very nice setup. Wish you enjoyed it more as it's beautiful. :cool2:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like halo's on other people, but not for me. I have a cz setting with baguette and while I loved it, it just wasn't quite it for me. I do like it much better than e-rings with halo's. Now, colored stones are a whole different ball game. A colored stone needs a halo to me.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like halo's on other people, but not for me. I have a cz setting with baguette and while I loved it, it just wasn't quite it for me. I do like it much better than e-rings with halo's. Now, colored stones are a whole different ball game. A colored stone needs a halo to me.
DITTO!!! I’d most definitely surround a nice Emerald Cut Emerald with a beautiful, white, sparkly halo!!!

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love love LURVE my halo! It adds more pizazz to
the stone. For me, the only way I would go with a solitaire setting is if the stone is substantial, and I’m talking like 5 carats and above lol. So for now, a halo will do! But it does make the stone look bigger

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went from a setting with baguettes on the side to a solitaire. It was really difficult to find wedding bands that went with the baguette setting
that I liked. You have to worry about the height of the baguettes and the height of the wedding band as well as what just looks good with a
baguette setting. (my baguettes had a pretty large tilt to them). Also, I think you are going to have a gap between your e-ring and wedding band
so make sure you're ok with that look. Dealing with those things made it a no-go for me after a while and I reset. I am so much happier with
my solitaire setting then my baguette setting.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
gosh that reset is so stunning...I really like that mounting in person but didn't think it photographed so well until I saw yours. I'm scared!!! If I were upgrading the stone size I wouldn't be so hesitant but DSS is real.
Its true, millennials are the ones that always swoon over my halo but there are more times that I wish I were more secure enough to rock a classic mounting. Thank you so much for sharing, would you go back to a halo anytime soon? If you HAD to choose only one for the next 10 years, which would it be?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gosh that reset is so stunning...I really like that mounting in person but didn't think it photographed so well until I saw yours. I'm scared!!! If I were upgrading the stone size I wouldn't be so hesitant but DSS is real.
Its true, millennials are the ones that always swoon over my halo but there are more times that I wish I were more secure enough to rock a classic mounting. Thank you so much for sharing, would you go back to a halo anytime soon? If you HAD to choose only one for the next 10 years, which would it be?

Speaking from a guy's perspective, a solitaire setting will always be a classic. Halos may fade over time, so if you are looking for the safe 10 year bet then you go classic IMO.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium

What size diamond would you be resetting? If you are used to a blingy halo, I think you may miss the size and bling factor of the halo. I did like the size of the halo I tried. But I did not like the glittery-ness (for lack of better word) of the halo.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have had a round with baguette side stones for nearly 15 years. I tried a halo for a hot minute. It was a reset disaster and I went back to my round with baguettes. I agree with @nala I think the halo is an attention grabber. I get compliments on my ring, but it's always to say "oh it's so classy, understated, traditional," etc. I am those things, so it has never bothered me. I did chip a baguette over a year ago, and I recently ordered a new setting in the James Allen mothers day sale.

Have you tried any on in real life? It's a classic setting, but it is one that is also hard to pair with a band.

"classy, understated, traditional" is a comment I'd totally be proud to hear.
Some jewelry places have warned me that I'd have to baby the baguettes because they chip easily. Did you find that to be true?

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What size diamond would you be resetting? If you are used to a blingy halo, I think you may miss the size and bling factor of the halo. I did like the size of the halo I tried. But I did not like the glittery-ness (for lack of better word) of the halo.

The stone is 7mm. My fingers are huge, which is why I opted for a halo years ago but its very showy. I don't really wear it to work because I feel like I'm flashing it in peoples faces...

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halo.
So in January of this year I got a new stone and that intensified my urge to reset it into all my dream settings.
So I’m sort of still in that phase. I feel kind of plain Jane in my new setting. Lol

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Halo.
So in January of this year I got a new stone and that intensified my urge to reset it into all my dream settings.
So I’m sort of still in that phase. I feel kind of plain Jane in my new setting. Lol
Well, that thing is massive and beautiful-far from plain jane but good to know that you'd stick with the halo but also even more torn now. I was sure on the tapered seeing yours till I read your last post. Oh boy.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The stone is 7mm. My fingers are huge, which is why I opted for a halo years ago but its very showy. I don't really wear it to work because I feel like I'm flashing it in peoples faces...
If you feel like you aren’t wearing your setting because it’s flashy, then you may totall love the baguette setting. Because the baguettes give off just enough flash that it makes it special. And I wear mine with a blingy-ish 7 stone.

Mine is about 7.4mm round and I am a size 7.5ish if this helps you. _33188.jpg
What it looks like now. 910F750D-7AFA-4356-A617-A348450CE0DE.jpeg

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you feel like you aren’t wearing your setting because it’s flashy, then you may totall love the baguette setting. Because the baguettes give off just enough flash that it makes it special. And I wear mine with a blingy-ish 7 stone.

Mine is about 7.4mm round and I am a size 7.5ish if this helps you. _33188.jpg
What it looks like now. 910F750D-7AFA-4356-A617-A348450CE0DE.jpeg

That helps immensely!
Finger coverage is...such a thing...
I actually prefer the overall look of your current setting; It speaks to me in a weird way.
The stone looks huge in a halo though. What about the glittery-ness did you not like when you had your halo? I loved looking at my halo when I was by myself or in a mall setting where the halo and stone looked like one giant stone but otherwise, I didnt like how "busy" it looked.
What are your thoughts on something like this with baguettes? I thought maybe the slight lip adds a bit of girth without the busy of a halo? (I've considered halo with baguette side stone and I think it slightly takes away from the sleek quality)

mock halo.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You COULD change the design of the halo; smaller/thinner halo, halo with an air line, or a halo of baguettes, rather than brilliant cuts. You can even do a combo of all of the above.

mk206

Rough_Rock
Premium
@nala I love your ring!!! Do you have a SMTB thread on it? Would love some more info on the design and who made it! Thanks so much!!

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@McGinnis I honestly can’t put my finger on what I didn’t love about the halo. It just felt - FOR ME - like I was trying to hard. I LOVE halos on other people. I think they are beautiful. But on me, it just felt forced. I only kept it about a month. Maybe I would have eventually gotten used to it. I have since tried on a halo with larger stones (I think that one was 1 pointers and I seem to gravitate toward a chunkier halo of 2-3 pointers) and i actually like it much better. And it’s sure enough a lot of sparkle. But it doesn’t feel glittery. I don’t know another way to describe it.

Oh and you asked about if it has to be babied because of the baguettes. I wore my original set (with 4 baguettes) for 12 years. 24 hours a day. 7 days a week. I never took them off. I knocked one out and I’d occasionally hear them rattling. But I didn’t chip one until somewhat recently. And I don’t even know what I did.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala I love your ring!!! Do you have a SMTB thread on it? Would love some more info on the design and who made it! Thanks so much!!
Thank you! It was a stock setting one of my jewelers has lying around. I don’t have a thread on it yet.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Glad to know they don't have to be babied as much as everyone's been saying! I've really taken to baguettes. How did you decide on the sizes for the baguettes? I'm considering moissanite too but don't know what size to order or mention to DK

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your thoughts on something like this with baguettes? I thought maybe the slight lip adds a bit of girth without the busy of a halo? (I've considered halo with baguette side stone and I think it slightly takes away from the sleek quality)

mock halo.jpg
I love this setting - the slight lip around the edge is so elegant and understated while also adding a little more visually

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
3E166323-836E-422F-BD0E-905CE766EB02.jpeg 5413551A-DD65-4750-9CAE-B95D0BFFA6CB.jpeg Before and after

I adore your new baguette ring nala. My absolute dream setting! It is so CLASSY and trendy in my opinion. In Europe that would be the one getting compliments rather than a halo ring. But as we see opinions and styles vary not just across individuals but also across geographies. I have never liked halos, must be partly because of the culture. Cannot imagine anyone in my country of origin ever buying a halo - the culture is too understated and showing off is considered inappropriate. But in a culture which appreciates and approves of big, flashy bling, I can definitely understand its appeal.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I say: don't think twice do what you like and makes you happy, this is a matter of personal taste, there is no Good or Bad in halos.
Halos make your diamond look bigger, if its ok with you, go for it.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes you are going to love the sleek, timeless simplicity of the new setting. You will appreciate your center diamond more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results