shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone go from a halo to baguette solitaire

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When selecting baguette size just make sure that it is in proportion to the stone. You do not want too small. Also, I recommend tapered baguettes over straight. My sister wanted a slightly different look and had two baguettes on each side. I also like bullet shaped stones that look more substantial that a tapered baguette. Finally the angle at which you set the baguettes toward the stone is important too. I can't wait to see the finished setting. It will be beautiful!!!

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
When selecting baguette size just make sure that it is in proportion to the stone. You do not want too small. Also, I recommend tapered baguettes over straight. My sister wanted a slightly different look and had two baguettes on each side. I also like bullet shaped stones that look more substantial that a tapered baguette. Finally the angle at which you set the baguettes toward the stone is important too. I can't wait to see the finished setting. It will be beautiful!!!

Didnt realize the angles are important! Should it be more or less of an angle? I'm planning to set the center as low as possible. Also, is there a reason why the baguettes are always elevated instead of being bezeled into the shank? Thank you!

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I adore your new baguette ring nala. My absolute dream setting! It is so CLASSY and trendy in my opinion. In Europe that would be the one getting compliments rather than a halo ring. But as we see opinions and styles vary not just across individuals but also across geographies. I have never liked halos, must be partly because of the culture. Cannot imagine anyone in my country of origin ever buying a halo - the culture is too understated and showing off is considered inappropriate. But in a culture which appreciates and approves of big, flashy bling, I can definitely understand its appeal.
Do people purposely buy small stones in your country? Or is it only appropriate to add bling to the existing e-ring?

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do people purposely buy small stones in your country? Or is it only appropriate to add bling to the existing e-ring?

Yes it is both. In the nordics it is generally small stones and simple rings (my 0.8 is big :lol-2:). In other European countries the stones get a bit bigger but the ring style remains simple. I now live in Central Europe and didn’t see any halos in B&M stores when trying rings on. It’s pretty much just simple solitaires and eternities.

And social norms aside, I think it is just the style/trend here. Simple and clean, letting the center stone stand out.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Didnt realize the angles are important! Should it be more or less of an angle? I'm planning to set the center as low as possible. Also, is there a reason why the baguettes are always elevated instead of being bezeled into the shank? Thank you!

The angle totally matters. My original setting was a stock setting and the baguettes were set almost flat. My ring was a 8.5 and I lost a bunch of weight and was told the ring couldn’t be sized down anymore because of the angle of the baguettes. Maybe I was just speaking to an inexperienced jeweler. But when I had my new ring made, I was shocked at how tiny my baguettes looked because the angle is so much steeper. Mine do taper pretty dramatically and I would prefer a less severe taper. I didn’t choose the baguettes though. I think if you use someone like David Klass, he would have enough experience to know what proportions are needed for the look you are going for. And most baguettes are bar set. I am not exactly sure why.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom's ring (1950s) had straight baguettes that were not really angled. they blended into the setting. She always thought that they should have been bigger and angled. Remember you really have to trust your jeweler to know proper proportions so make sure you have this discussion with him to make sure you are on the same page.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
thank you! I haven't seen DK do many tapered baguettes but I'm hoping he will know what he's doing...unless anyone else knows of a good jeweler that does customs and is equally, if not more affordable. I know you get what you pay for but budget is one of my top priorities.
On another not, just got my ring back from having it resized (recently purchased a slight upgrade, tiny bit in size but mostly in cut) and it looks so tiny on my sausage finger...might have to scrap the solitaire idea. I'm crushed

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baguettes can certainly be flush-mounted or bezel set. Its really up to you based on the look you want. I just encourage you to have good cleaning access as I find my baguettes, like most step-cuts, suffer more when dirty. To me, the sapphire below is a nice blend of the brilliant princess cuts and baguettes though I'd want an open gallery area for cleaning.

upload_2018-6-1_17-29-21.png
upload_2018-6-1_17-29-36.png

I would NOT close off the sides as this setting does. But, I like the combo of stones with the bezel-setting concept to protect the girdles.
upload_2018-6-1_17-31-31.png
upload_2018-6-1_17-32-10.png

p.s. Not endorsing these vendors, just showing examples.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-1_17-31-13.png
    upload_2018-6-1_17-31-13.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the classic baguette look, but want some different features, Maevona has some awesome designs.

Torsa
upload_2018-6-1_17-54-40.png
images

I've seen these in both rounds and princess cuts. They are more delicate and detailed in person than they might look.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNnHz9OBnrC/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOV0nFRg2Zr/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcA4aRWhKR5/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona
https://www.instagram.com/p/BacNDgJgSqd/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ8vjBvgugO/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you! I haven't seen DK do many tapered baguettes but I'm hoping he will know what he's doing...unless anyone else knows of a good jeweler that does customs and is equally, if not more affordable. I know you get what you pay for but budget is one of my top priorities.
On another not, just got my ring back from having it resized (recently purchased a slight upgrade, tiny bit in size but mostly in cut) and it looks so tiny on my sausage finger...might have to scrap the solitaire idea. I'm crushed
Ok. You owe us a pic!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do any of those Maevona's appeal? She will customize and might be on par with DK or more affordable if you like a "stock" setting or are just tweaking a stock setting.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do any of those Maevona's appeal? She will customize and might be on par with DK or more affordable if you like a "stock" setting or are just tweaking a stock setting.

Yes! I like how a lot of her stuff is different but within the mainstream beauty aesthetic. A lot of simple ornate looks if that makes any sense. Unfortunately, the one I like is way out of my budget (by about 800 so customizing i'm sure will cost a bit more as well)

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
E="nala, post: 4350147, member: 54725"]Ok. You owe us a pic![/QUOTE]
I clearly thought I needed a smaller size. I won't resize it anymore since I'll be replacing it with the new setting soon, hopefully. The second picture is of my old stone with the halo. It really did a lot, which is why I'm so torn. (also my ring size has gone up quite a bit) You ladies out there with huge baubles that need no help or ladies with tiny fingers are so lucky!
IMG_9673.JPG halo2.jpg E

Attachments

• IMG_9673.JPG
    IMG_9673.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 15
  • halo2.jpg
    halo2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That helps immensely!
Finger coverage is...such a thing...
I actually prefer the overall look of your current setting; It speaks to me in a weird way.
The stone looks huge in a halo though. What about the glittery-ness did you not like when you had your halo? I loved looking at my halo when I was by myself or in a mall setting where the halo and stone looked like one giant stone but otherwise, I didnt like how "busy" it looked.
What are your thoughts on something like this with baguettes? I thought maybe the slight lip adds a bit of girth without the busy of a halo? (I've considered halo with baguette side stone and I think it slightly takes away from the sleek quality)

mock halo.jpg
I love this setting - the slight lip around the edge is so elegant and understated while also adding a little more visually

OK What the hell is that. I am FEELING that oh so subtle teeny tiny metal edge halo effect. I need to know everything about this setting. :-o:love:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E="nala, post: 4350147, member: 54725"]Ok. You owe us a pic!
I clearly thought I needed a smaller size. I won't resize it anymore since I'll be replacing it with the new setting soon, hopefully. The second picture is of my old stone with the halo. It really did a lot, which is why I'm so torn. (also my ring size has gone up quite a bit) You ladies out there with huge baubles that need no help or ladies with tiny fingers are so lucky!
IMG_9673.JPG halo2.jpg E[/QUOTE]
Your halo is lovely! And looks beautiful on your finger!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have pretty large hands and I generally prefer 3-5 stone settings. What about more substantial side stones? That's pretty much the only way rings don't look like toys on me.

You can add a halo and more substantial step-cut side stones.

uneek-lvs894-designer-engagement-ring_view2.jpg

Subtle under halo and double baguettes
upload_2018-6-2_12-3-28.png
You could also use a couple of stones stacked to give coverage
upload_2018-6-2_12-7-18.png
upload_2018-6-2_12-7-43.png

@msop04 bezel.
upload_2018-6-2_11-59-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-2_12-3-35.png
    upload_2018-6-2_12-3-35.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 11

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That third ring by Leon is so gorgeous! I'd love to do something like that. What kind of cut is that for the side stones?
Do you think the halo with baguettes (like in the Tacori) will look busy or messy since the baguettes have such a different look from the pave?
Thanks so much for all the ideas!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 3rd from top by Leon Mege are tapered step cut shields. I actually love mixing step and brilliant cuts so I would have no worry about something like the Tacori. It will be a very blingy ring with presence. It has a very different feel than the LM one. You could also add some hand-presence by add two matching pave band. that would give you a "halo" look but allow you to simplify if you want.

If large shields are too pricey, you can do something like this with step cut traps and tapered bullets. I really love that they are bezel set for durability and comfort.

upload_2018-6-3_6-12-23.png

Or just halo the center and work with wider side stones like this. I think I'd prefer this over the full halo over all. But, I tend to simplier designs.

upload_2018-6-3_6-14-48.png

Totally vintage feeling, but you can stack the baguettes without tapering. I love this look.
upload_2018-6-3_6-16-1.png

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Holy moly shield prices are crazy! Today we are heading out to try on some halo+step cut combos so I can see them in person before making decisions. Do you know anyone that sells preowned moissanites or diamonds that has access to step cuts? Most sites are showing me prices that are too expensive and I'd rather not purchase off the rack. Those tapered step cut shields are everything...

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your halo is lovely! And looks beautiful on your finger![/QUOTE]

Thanks nala, I think my finger begs for some additional coverage, unfortunately. I guess halo will have to work in some way. I cant wait to see your next reset, your resets are goals lol

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OK What the hell is that. I am FEELING that oh so subtle teeny tiny metal edge halo effect. I need to know everything about this setting. :-o:love:
LOL right?? its so prettty!! I found it searching for David Klass's rings. I think its one of his. I dont see why he couldn't make it if it wasnt :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results