shape
carat
color
clarity

Any thoughts on these CADs?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I reached out to MDZ about one of their stackers on their eBay store to see if they had it in blue sapphire. They didn't, but they are going to make me one. I asked for a couple of modification - slightly bigger sapphires and a half eternity rather than a full. I just got the CADs, and it looks OK to me, but I thought I'd ask the experts before I approve. It's a fairly simple design, but is there anything that anyone sees that should be changed? I'm also kind of thinking about adding engraving so it's not just plain where there are no stones, but I'm not sure if that would look weird? Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts and expertise!!!

The ring I originally inquired about:
s-l500_4.jpg

The CADs:
jennifer_ko_wb.png
jennifer_ko_wb.jpg
jennifer_ko_wb_tf.jpg
jennifer_ko_wb_sv.jpg
jennifer_ko_wb_ld.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1469639837|4059873 said:
I wanted to throw this band out there for your consideration as well. I own this band and I like the heft and finish of it. JA also has coupon codes every so often for an additional discount.

https://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-rings/matching-bands/14k-white-gold-round-brilliant-diamond-and-marquise-sapphire-wedding-ring-item-49417

Thanks PintoBean! I actually did strongly consider that one, but with the ring I plan to wear it with, I think the marquise will add too much blue. Which is not to say that I wouldn't possibly get the JA one in the future to wear on a different hand... :lol: :halo:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlyglam|1469640358|4059877 said:
PintoBean|1469639837|4059873 said:
I wanted to throw this band out there for your consideration as well. I own this band and I like the heft and finish of it. JA also has coupon codes every so often for an additional discount.

https://www.jamesallen.com/wedding-rings/matching-bands/14k-white-gold-round-brilliant-diamond-and-marquise-sapphire-wedding-ring-item-49417

Thanks PintoBean! I actually did strongly consider that one, but with the ring I plan to wear it with, I think the marquise will add too much blue. Which is not to say that I wouldn't possibly get the JA one in the future to wear on a different hand... :lol: :halo:

Just so you have an opportunity to price compare, you could always shoot JA a request for quote on reversing the marquise and rounds with the diamonds and sapphires.

Have you had an MDZ band before? I actually have a rose gold scroll ring from them and I find it on the lighter side. I didn't care for the finish either. Just my two cents...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never worn this MDZ RG band because I was frankly underwhelmed and embarrassed by the outcome. I didn't return it because of my pride - I didn't want DH to lecture me on being wiser with my bling purchases :wall: :hand: .

The band is not polished well - it lacks luster especially next to my RG solitaire. The milgrain is uneven, and the metal in general runs thick and thin and is inconsistent. The melee also are underwhelming, probably due to size and the way they are set. Frankly, the ring looked much better online than in person. I also had to pay extra because this was a custom job due to my request for a larger size.

First up, pics of the MDZ band next to the RG solitaire. I don't know if my pics clearly capture what I am trying to articulate in words or vice versa. This is the best I could capture with an iPhone and a cheap macro lens.
_5000.jpg _5001.jpg _5002.jpg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because the sapphires are much bigger the proportions have become a tiny bit "lost" in comparison to the delicacy of the original- I wonder if making the marquise areas a bit wider might solve that?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MDZ RG band next to JA YG band

_5003.jpeg

_5004.jpeg

_5005.jpeg

_5006.jpeg

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean, thank you so much for taking those pictures! Yes, I can definitely see what you are talking about, and I don't blame you for being disappointed. I have recently done two custom ring projects with MDZ and have actually been super pleased, which is why I went back to MDZ. The milgrain on my rings is actually one of my favorite things - it's super tiny and even and fine. I'm so sorry it's not nice on your ring. :cry: I do think I'm going to continue with MDZ since I've already made the deposit and have had 2 successful projects, but I definitely appreciate you taking the time to take pictures and give me your input!

Snowdrop - The larger sapphires was something I really wanted, but I didn't consider how it might impact the proportions compared to the marquise. Thank you for your observation!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty band! I'm not good at judging CADs and/or suggesting tweaks, but wanted to suggest - if you haven't already (since you noted you'd be wearing it with another ring) - be sure to assess the height of the band with the ring you'd wear it with to ensure it doesn't rub on the gallery of the other ring and cause damage to it.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn|1469650474|4059960 said:
Pretty band! I'm not good at judging CADs and/or suggesting tweaks, but wanted to suggest - if you haven't already (since you noted you'd be wearing it with another ring) - be sure to assess the height of the band with the ring you'd wear it with to ensure it doesn't rub on the gallery of the other ring and cause damage to it.

Thank you; I'll double-check on that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results