shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Opal lovers out there? Show and Tell please.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
GOOD NEWS!

My son opened his eyes last night and spoke my wife's name!

The neurologist say's that is a very good sign and with some work my son may regain his brain function totally in time but not 100% sure.

Thanks to all you for your kind wishes and thoughts and prayers!
@fredflintstone
Fred! I just saw this and I can’t tell you how happy I am to hear this news. Sending you lots of love and hoping he continues to recover. ❤️

GOOD NEWS!

My son opened his eyes last night and spoke my wife's name!

The neurologist say's that is a very good sign and with some work my son may regain his brain function totally in time but not 100% sure.

Thanks to all you for your kind wishes and thoughts and prayers!

"It's a Christmas miracle!" Oh I'm so relieved for you, your son, and your entire family. I realize he still has quite a journey ahead of him, but what a positive and encouraging prognosis.
pretty%20heart.gif

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Ok, well that's just stunning... :P2
Ok, well that's just stunning... :P2
As @ItsMainelyYou said, your reputation as an opal pusher at work! :lol:
In all seriousness, I would’ve never found it if not for your thread and @fredflintstone posting the Facebook link to the stone under your thread as the top killer example. I’ve been looking for a bigger stone just like my smaller ones forever and never come across one, especially that huge. These opaque glittery stones are not photogenic at all and must be appreciated in person, so I was glad to find later the stone was still available for sale! It's one of a kind the seller himself never come across before and I'm so glad to own it.
With opals, it seems you never find one you look for the harder you try until one lands on you. It's fate!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thank Goodness @fredflinstone! I'm so relieved for your family!!!

btw, guess who's the new owner of the "killer opal?" Another added to "My Precious" collection and matches my other stones, just much much bigger.

EPeregrina1.jpg

Beautiful Opal. Is that from Bennie?

And thanks to everone again for their kind wishes for my son!

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Happy Holidays!

Glad you like the Opal. I'm sure it is a blazer!

The obnoxious size doesn't make for good jewelry but it reminds me of the opal my mother used to wear. It is as Aussie-looking as it gets, but huge! You know it is a blazer! :love:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I don't remember the carat size, which really does not matter as it is how deep (high or low dome) the stone is that will affect face up size. Don't know what the dimensions are, but I'm sure it would make a great pendent.

Used to sale Welo Opal over 50 carats. Made great pendants, a few even put them in rings if you can believe it. :oops2:

Whatever works for you and as long as you are happy. :)

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Used to sale Welo Opal over 50 carats. Made great pendants, a few even put them in rings if you can believe it.
I believe it and see some women do, but I'm not into wearing huge jewelry. Yes, I'm happy and carry it around to admire the blinding color play, bigger opal bigger impact! I don't know how you found the stone off main opal sales sites, but I'm the lucky one for it. Thanks Fred!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I believe it and see some women do, but I'm not into wearing huge jewelry. Yes, I'm happy and carry it around to admire the blinding color play, bigger opal bigger impact! I don't know how you found the stone off main opal sales sites, but I'm the lucky one for it. Thanks Fred!

You're welcome!

I still have many unmounted stones including Opal. Just like to look at them.

As far as finding that Opal, I just know a lot of people in the business I used to do business with. I'm retired, but still like to window shop to see what my old associates are up too,

Thanks! I just hope they're not too tiny for the color play to show well.

Oh I don't think that's going to be a problem! But I'd love to hear your thoughts once received. I'm working on a pair of studs myself (not opal though, unfortunately).

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But they are small.

That's not small! Those are lovely!

The second piece of jewelry I got my (future) wife was ~ 4mm opal "triangle" posts in a handmade YG bezel. They were at the top of my budget then -- maybe even close to triple-digits (!). She still wears them many decades later. Nowhere near as nice as yours in terms of size, opal quality, and "presence." Enjoy!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having a hard time getting a good photo. Here's one more try.
new6.jpg

I have embraced studs recently, as they are so versatile. These are so colorful and gorgeous!!

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
I'm Australian and I love opals. Strangely though, most Aussies don't like them. It may have a lot to do with the absolutely dreadful opals some stores try to sell.
<Snip>
_2017.jpeg

You're so right. My first encounter as a child was those god awful souvenirs in the airport and tourist stores. You also don't typically see amazing stones in jewellery stores. I've been slowly won over and some of the ones on here are drop dead gorgeous.

emotionalbutterfly

Rough_Rock
I'm Australian and I love opals. Strangely though, most Aussies don't like them. It may have a lot to do with the absolutely dreadful opals some stores try to sell.
I have a rather large one that came to me by good fortune. I paid $100 for it (unset) at a garage (yard) sale because the dear lady refused anymore (she originally said $20). I will accordingly never sell it.
It isn't "rock star" quality but it has a lot of charm. It's like there is something "trapped" within the stone. I love it. Opals are all the colours of all the gems rolled into one! I wear it on a gold wire choker (lest it swing and crash into something as pendants of such size and weight are apt to do if hanging on a chain).
Each side is different and excuse my poor qualityiPad photos at night.
Anyone else have a lovely opal they'd care to share?

_2017.jpeg

_2018.jpeg

I had this made by David Klass for a friend who was having her first baby. opal.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results