shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Opal lovers out there? Show and Tell please.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm Australian and I love opals. Strangely though, most Aussies don't like them. It may have a lot to do with the absolutely dreadful opals some stores try to sell.
I have a rather large one that came to me by good fortune. I paid $100 for it (unset) at a garage (yard) sale because the dear lady refused anymore (she originally said $20). I will accordingly never sell it.
It isn't "rock star" quality but it has a lot of charm. It's like there is something "trapped" within the stone. I love it. Opals are all the colours of all the gems rolled into one! I wear it on a gold wire choker (lest it swing and crash into something as pendants of such size and weight are apt to do if hanging on a chain).
Each side is different and excuse my poor qualityiPad photos at night.
Anyone else have a lovely opal they'd care to share?

_2017.jpeg

_2018.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for starting this thread Bron!!
You have a gorgeous opal pendant. I love the subtle colour in the stone.

I am European and I love opals too. Recently I have purchased my first black opal from Lightning Ridge Australia and it will be set by Australian jeweller Alistair Kelsey.
Can I share my black opal here as well?

_2019.jpeg

_2020.jpeg

_954.png

_955.png

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Bron357, I am so glad you started this thread. Lovely opal!
Acinom, as usual you have chosen a spectacular stone. Can't wait to see it set.

I am Canadian, and we recently spent a month on the eastcoast of Australia over the Christmas holidays. My husband loves opals and really wanted to purchase one for me to commemorate our wonderful family holiday. We toured lots of mines and opal shops, but for the longest time, nothing really spoke to me. I knew I wanted something with some red in it, but it turned out that a black opal of any size with red and peach in it, costs in excessive of a diamond. I had just about given up, when I passed by this lovely doublet in a shop in Noosa. Each time I walked by, it showed different colours. Initially I hadn't wanted a doublet, but I completely fell for this one. It is from a mine in Western Queensland. I can't get it to photograph well. The greens and blues show up, but the peach and red not so much. Here are a couple of iphone snaps:

_36421.jpg

_36422.jpg

_36423.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I started an opal thread a little while ago but it never got any legs, glad to see some stones being posted here!

Nothing to share of my own unfortunately but I have a few little cabbing projects planned for the next few months and I'm planning on doing a few opals. But here's the dilemma; white, crystal or black? :think:

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
jordyonbass|1455656682|3991724 said:
I started an opal thread a little while ago but it never got any legs, glad to see some stones being posted here!

Nothing to share of my own unfortunately but I have a few little cabbing projects planned for the next few months and I'm planning on doing a few opals. But here's the dilemma; white, crystal or black? :think:

Black!!!!!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One day, I would like to have a nice black opal in my collection, however, it is quite low down on the list of CSs that I would like to purchase.

DK :))

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm loving all these opal pictures. :love:
One of my favorite things about opals is their ability to show so many beautiful colors...all in one stone.

I only have one opal but I hope to one day find a pretty black opal too.
Here's mine:
Pretty green flashes.
image_4246.jpg

This one isn't great quality but shows the orange flashes my opal gets.
image_4247.jpg

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh looking forward to this thread! Love seeing beautiful opals. My favourite gemstone. I have quite a few. Here is an opal I cut and had set for my mother's birthday.

opal_pendant.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I knew you wouldn't be far away Jamie, I know you're an opal fiend!! Hahaha :wavey:

SapphireStyle, as much as I love black opals they are very pricey. I'm thinking about talking to Justin from Black Opal Direct for a package of assorted crystals with maybe one or two black opals for when I have my confidence high enough to attempt them.

Elle your opal is beautiful! Is it a Welo?

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
SapphireStyle, as much as I love black opals they are very pricey. I'm thinking about talking to Justin from Black Opal Direct for a package of assorted crystals with maybe one or two black opals for when I have my confidence high enough to attempt them.

Sounds like a plan! Looking forward to seeing the results.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1455664141|3991790 said:
I knew you wouldn't be far away Jamie, I know you're an opal fiend!! Hahaha :wavey:

Elle your opal is beautiful! Is it a Welo?

Thank you! It is a Welo. I can't get over how great they look in person. :D

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Elle :wavey:

I love the look of Welo Opals and I find them to be very recognizable. I feel my preference is silly because I live in the country which produces most of the world's supply as well as some of the best stones, but man those Welo's are just such special stones!

OK jumping on the BOD website now to start looking at his rough packages, my pocket is probably going to be very light soon and Mrs Jordy may not be too happy...until I have cabbed the stones, that is :Up_to_something:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the right opal will pick you. I know that the black opal is more valuable, sought after and is beautiful. But you may find a white/crystal opal that is the right shape, size and color combo that will make your heart sing. Each opal is unique. Look at all types and pick the one that sings to you. I have a large opal pendant that is not black and I find it is a great piece that seems to go with everything as it has a lot of fire and picks up colors depending upon light.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Beautiful Boulder Opal abbit! I also think lambskin is spot on with what they said and well said it was. I have seen crystal opals that blew my mind. The thing is that photos very rarely do justice in regards to opal with colour play.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving all these opals.
Any type of opal is beautiful in my book.
I know a bit about them -
White opal = milky white opaque background usually pin fire flashes blue, green and red.
Semi Crystal = translucent (reddish glow when held up against a bright light source)
, any colours in body
Crystal Opal = almost transparent - tends to show only blue, violet, purple flashes
Black Opal = background is dark grey (not actually black) and this shows all the colours up most brilliantly
Boulder Opal = opal still part in matrix (usually a brownstone) all colours
Doublets and triplets are slivers of opal glued together - doublets means two pieces of opal, triplet means 3. Back of stone is usually
Material called potch - it's a grey colour. Cheap stones it might just be some type of plastic.
Opals are also found in fossils and are very beautiful.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
aussiejamie|1455675844|3991874 said:
Beautiful Boulder Opal abbit! I also think lambskin is spot on with what they said and well said it was. I have seen crystal opals that blew my mind. The thing is that photos very rarely do justice in regards to opal with colour play.

That Boulder Opal almost looks like a Black Opal - which I think they can be labelled as if the potch is dark enough? Black Boulder Opal? :bigsmile:

Agree about Crystals as well, I've been eyeing off Black lately but the Crystal stuff can look sooooooo good sometimes that it's starting to change my mind on what I'll be buying. I can't decide...like I said, probably both!! :lol:

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Flat but big and pretty lol!

_2029.jpeg

_2030.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black opal by the red spinel. What a beauty!!!
Just like the other mesmerizing opals posted here. I will add this to my fabourite thread list.

_961.png

_962.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful opals everyone! I enjoy all opals but I love all the fiery and amazing colors within the black opal. Just beautiful. :love:

niter

Rough_Rock
Opals are my favorite. I am not sure why I still have not found the right one yet since I love them so much! Such beautiful opals here!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the_universe created this opal engagement ring for his fiancee: a black opal with yellow (sapphire?) halo:

_2089.jpeg

_2090.jpeg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amazing Opals there Acinom, especially Greg's Boulder Opal pendant.

I was showing Mrs Jordy recently some Opal pics and she looked at me with a bewildered look and said 'I could have sworn that about 6 months ago you said that you didn't care for opals?'
I don't remember that at all :lol: :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results