shape
carat
color
clarity

Any experience with Derco Jewelers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/20/2003 9:17:45 PM mrs.larson wrote:

I am also studying to get my Graduate Gemologist degree with GIA. From what I've learned through the school and also from my own experiences, I would never recommend buying a diamond online. You might get the same size diamond online for a lot cheaper, but you will be sacrificing color and clarity.

--This statement is so blatantly untrue I don't even know where to begin--maybe you should really do your own research which you obviously have not done. As with any venue, whether online or offline, there are going to be good and bad experiences. Like offline, there can be good and bad jewelers and vendors. But to classify all online diamonds as inferior and say that one would have to 'sacrifice' color and clarity is totally absurd. I dare you to price one of the unbranded or even branded for that matter H&A's to half of what 'reputable' jewelry stores offer online and tell me that they don't don't outshine in CUT and QUALITY and probably for LESS money. The inane, unfounded statement you made is what furthers the public's fear of online purchasing and keeps people in the dark. As an ardent online purchaser (of many things, even jewelry), I (like most people) know that as with any big purchase, you have to shop smart and be educated. If you have done your homework, no one is going to throw the wool over your eyes. If a consumer is stupid, they will be stupid offline AND online...but if they are educated, they will walk into an offline store, quiz the vendor for all they are worth, do the same online..and then make their own educated decision.

From my own experiences..we have not purchased a diamond online (yet) but we did alot of offline and online shopping. I walked into a reputed jeweler and was shown a 1.5c H SI for $17000. No info about cut and sorry but the GIA cert doesn't say jack about the 'cut' as you should know if you are getting your GIA degree. Table and depth is the minimum that one should know--where are the angles? Anyway I digress. A well cut 1.5 H SI1 online with a branded H&A cut or similar would most likely be around $14000 or less! With more paperwork and security shown from some of the online vendors than I saw in visiting MANY offline jewelry stores. We went with an offline purchase because we knew the jeweler and he jumped through hoops to get us what we wanted AND matched internet pricing. But our next purchase WILL be online from a reputed vendor.

When you buy a diamond form Derco, they show you the GIA report and also let you view the diamond under a loupe (magnifier), so you can see exactly what inclusions it has (or doesn't have When you buy online, you cannot see the diamond's inclusions. Even if the picture looks nice and sparkly, remember that it can be doctored and that there are a lot of scam artists selling *Certified* diamonds, but you're really getting a CZ and a fake or copied certificate.

--Great that Derco actually shows you the GIA report. Does this mean anything other than that is what they should be doing? What everyone should be doing? Should we give a prize for doing the absolute mininum? It always blows me away to hear people say that 'well they showed me the GIA report...'...thats the least of what they should do. There should be a Sarin report with it and if you are buying online, alot more information than just that. Anyway...I digress. Yes when you buy online you can't see the diamond's inclusions obviously, but there are plenty of vendors who magnify those inclusions and then show them virtually so that the customer does get a sense of where they are. There is also the IdealScope images which many offline jewelers would not have. Also many vendors have no problem sending the stone off for independent appraisal before purchase and there the customer can usually see the stone in person if the appraiser is local to them. Again--all of this showing that the customer needs to be smart and savvy, the pressure is on them. YES there are scam artists out there, AS WITH ANYTHING you buy, you have to be smart. Too many people are not smart and then throw thousands of dollars at a vendor, whether its online at some random shop or eBay auction, or offline at some jeweler in NYC who had alot of stones but nothing else. Those people will get taken for a ride whether online or offline.

If it is a real diamond, it will probably be very yellow colored and have spots, cracks, chips, or other things that will make it dull and not white, clear and sparkly as the diamonds you can see for yourself in person.

--Shop on eBay much?? Again--the consumer needs to be educated on color, clarity and cut..only the ignorant would buy what you just noted above, whether online or offline. Education is the key here. Anyone can be taken for a ride on any purchase. As for what you see with your eyes...we get plenty of people here on this forum who in the shining store lights thought tthat their diamond was clear and sparkly. Guess what? They get it home and realize the cut is quite bad and it looks like crap. So then they return it. Not all diamonds you see in person are going to be 'clear and sparkly' as you put it. Another perpetuated myth!

The scariest part of your post here mrs.larson is that you are studying to become a GIA graduate. Someday quite soon you will be working in a local jewelry store to me (I'm in San Jose) and you will be mistakenly perpetuating fear and myths about online shopping. You will drive sales away from online into offline stores, and you will probably sell some pretty mediocre stones to unsuspecting customers if you trust that GIA's cert is all you will need to make that sale with a customer. Hang around the forums a little and I bet you will really start to get your education on diamonds--for free even. I have learned more here than I bet GIA could have taught me..I took the first course and while it was interesting...it was nothing I hadn't learned in my first 2 months on this forum. Stick around and broaden your mind.
nono.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, all that you said is correct, but it's obvious that "Mrs. Larson" is working for or at least at the behest of Derco (as are cc, jpurdy, hottie, and the other "single post" testimonials in this thread). Their copywriting does seem to be improving, though.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/20/2003 9:17:45 PM mrs.larson wrote:

Because they are wholesalers, you will find their prices at about half of what any retail store offers.

----------------

Mrs. Larson: By definition, Derco is not a wholesaler. Wholesalers don't sell to the end customer!

From Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Wholesaler: pronunciation: 'hOl-"sA-l&r
Function: noun
Date: 1857
: a merchant middleman who sells chiefly to retailers, other merchants, or industrial, institutional, and commercial users mainly for resale or business use

opalfields

Rough_Rock
Hey Rough Rock,
You can't match diamonds so how can you match prices?
Compare to an 8Star before making any decision. Engagement leads to marriage which leads to the rest of your life. You can't match that either!
check out eightstar.com right away
yours kindly
Opal Tom - your friendly 8Star dealer

JayTee

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
been away from this forum for a while (planning a wedding is so time-consuming its scary!) but i thought i would chime in on this thread as well, since I did a lot of my research at Derco. As a matter of fact, if you do a search, I wrote a recommendation for a specific salesperson there who was of great help to me.
However, after all was said and done, I went with a diamond purchased online (from Rhino) and I (and my fiancee) could not be happier. I think Mrs. Larsen is expressing the fear that anyone has when making a large purchase online, but unfortunately she is making statements that I have not noticed to be true when I was stone shopping.
Granted, you do not get to see the actual stone when you are purchasing online, and all online vendors are aware that they cannot match a B&M in that aspect. What I found is that to bridge that gap, they are a lot more accomodating with the research they can provide, whether it be GIA/AGS reports, Sarin/OGI, Brilliance Scope, even HCA. I also found vendors online to be more open to the evolving science around diamonds, while Derco was the only B&M which was remotely helpful when I requested the same type of information. (Simayof was NOT, sadly.)
Just my thoughts,
JayTee

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Holy macaroni-
Can you believe that rant from B&M psycho. "All diamonds online are yellow and included"...

Sweetie, take a look at my Fiancées ring...unfortunately in America we don't put it on the middle finger.

naughty.gif

Lockitmusic

Rough_Rock
I am interested in finding out more in regards to Derko Jewelers In San Francisco. I noticed that RoughRider was going to check them out. I've been talking with them on the phone, but have not made the 50 mile trip north to SF yet. I am "assisting" my fiance' in finding a great diamond for my engagement ring.

I have a way into the Gift Center/Jewelry Mart, and I was told that there are other stores there. Should I check out other stores that are recommended? Where can I get the best deal? Does anyone know if these stores finance like a mall showroom?

Thanks . . .
Louise

rodent.gif

----------------
On 8/4/2003 7:15:12 PM RoughRider wrote:

Hello,
Is anyone familiar with Derco Jewelers in San Francisco? My friend bought his engagement ring there and got a very good deal compared to the local b&m jewelers. On another forum someone posted that Derco matched prices he printed from a Pricescope search.

I am looking for an engagement ring and am going to be in SF next month. My plan is to shop the local jewelry stores to figure out the shape, size and setting I want. Then I can find out how much I “should” be paying for that diamond using Pricescope and take that info with me to Derco. If anyone has had a positive experience with Derco or would like to share a cautionary tale it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
2.gif
----------------

robertsonjohn

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend's family had gone to Derco for years and suggested that I purchase my ring there "in order to save thousands". I called over there and gave them the desired specs and price range for a three stone engagement ring. The lady was friendly, although a bit pushy ("Oh, you couldn't possibly get VS2 clarity, VS1 is the absolute minimum"), but her only suggestion was for a ring that was $1500 over my $6K budget. When I explained that my budget was strict, and that this was out of my price range, she expressed her dismay (sort of giving me the impression that she thought I was skimping), but said that she would look into it more and call me back within a day or two to let me know what she found.

I didn't hear back from her, and finally after a full week I called over there again to see what was going on. She said that she had just been about to call me, and that she had been working on it "every day". She said that at this point she had not been able to locate any stones that fit my budget, but that I should keep checking in. I told her that time was somewhat critical and that I couldn't wait for too much longer. She said not to worry and that I should check back in soon. I called again the following week and she said they still did not have any stones that would work. Meanwhile, during the time I was dealing with them, I discovered Pricescope and various other internet sites - all of which had numerous stones that fit my specs and budget.

The only reason I spent as much time dilly-dallying around with them as I did was because my girlfriend and her family were so adamant about using them, but I feel it's more important to get her the ring that she wants. So, although I never actually went there, or sampled their merchandise (which I'm sure is fine), I wouldn't say I had a very good experience there.

Lockitmusic

Rough_Rock
Hello Mrs. Larson,

I also found out that Derko is opening in San Jose, where I live. The one thing they won't, according to Karen at Derko in SF, is the Aurias diamond (Canadian from Ekati Mine). What is your thoughts on an Aurias to a regular stone. My Fiance' and I go back and forth about conflict VS non-conflict. He thinks (and other jewelers too) that all stones entering the US are NOT conflict diamonds due ot the strick import rules. Have you found the Conflict / Non-Conflict just a marketing ploy?

Lockitmusic

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Your information encouraged me to go and check out Derko. I guess it might be better for me to travel to SF, rather than just drive around the corner to the new San Jose Derko. I just emailed Mrs. Larson, and told her I spoke with Karen at Derko, who told me that the San Jose store will NOT be selling the Aurias diamond. Did you do any research on Canadian diamonds? My fiance and I go round & round regarding conflict VS non-conflict. Joe Escobar diamonds in Campbell also said he can be almost 99% sure that all diamonds entering the US are NOT conflict diamonds due to the strict import laws. I still am wondering if this is true, or is the Conflict/Non Conflict theme just a marketing ploy? There are other brands of Canadian Diamonds such as a brand called Sirius and the Ben Bridge brand Ikuma.

I am getting 2 books on diamonds (guides) from Amazon. You mentioned you have a 3" binder of info. Can you share any of this info with me. I'm curious to the selling "ploys" that some sales-sharks may have when they see a naive diamond shopper such as myself walking through their doors.

I was watching some 20/20 show (or Dateline) that shared secrets to getting a good deal. One of the tricks was to "walk-out". Then, then sales people will come running after you to buy? I wonder if I possess this power? I haven't tried this yet. I'm afraid they will say, "Don't let the door hit you in the butt", as I walk out.

Please share with me your info and insider secrets.

My fiance' would really like to buy my diamond at Ben Bridge (chain store), because they are having 0% interest for 1 year, and they are having a diamond show (whatever that means).

Also, have you gone to any of these gem expos that are held at fairgrounds? Can I trust these folks?

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lockit...would highly suggest you start reading the Pricescope tutorial or else pretty much any B&M will sales-shark you into purchasing something.

Whatever you do..do NOT shop at Ben Bridge for an e-ring...talk about a Maul Jeweler. They will take your $1999 and leave you with a frozen piece of spit. Forget the ridiculous 0% for 1 year...what a ploy. If you can't pay for your diamond in cash or on a credit card and pay it off within a few months, get a smaller diamond. No one should go into serious debt they can't pay off for a diamond.

Insider info and secrets? How about just being EDUCATED. Or as Jessica Simpson would say...edumacated. No seriously. Read up...visit some jewelry stores...try on some stuff. DONT BUY ANYTHING until you have really read up on what diamonds are all about. And please tell me you didn't order the Fred Cuellar book from Amazon on 'How to Buy a Diamond'. Because if you did, you can just go on Fred's website and get it for free. And read all about how bonded is the way to go and Fred can sell you a great non-warped diamond. Do you hear the sarcasm dripping from my words?

Bottom line is that there are no secrets and insider information. The best way to get a good deal on a non-crappy stone is to be educated on what your money will really get you. Consider shopping online. Don't fall for sales tactics. Don't pay overpriced amounts on maul stones. Find out what matters to you, color, clarity, cut, carat weight..and stick with it. Don't play sales games with the salespeople (e.g. walking out). Ask for information and expect to get it.

Please educate yourself before going into ANY sort of maul store or Ben Bridge or Derco. Otherwise you will be like many people who come back on the forum in a few weeks and post your EGL information on a really crappy stone that you got for 'such a great deal'. Don't be one of those people!
errrr.gif

Lockitmusic

Rough_Rock
Hello Mara,

Thanks for your advise. I already intended to educate myself on diamonds. Yes, I did get the Fred Cuellar book and another one by Renee Newman. I'm not too worried that his info is posted on his web, since I look to have printed material in hand, so I can be mobile with it if I need to. As you have already noticed, yes - I am a novice. I don't plan to buy another diamond other than my engagement/wedding set, so I want my fiance' to make a "Smart" purchase. I can tell a lot of people on this site a really into jewelry, but I sought out this site to help me with this one purchase. I'm not much of a jewelry gal - 1 ring, and a watch (sometimes).

It seems a lot of people are confident in buying over the internet. I'm not sure if I can convince my fiance' to buy that way. I forgot to ask you yesterday on how you feel about the International Gem & Jewelry shows that come into towns around the US about twice a year at large venues, such as fairgrounds and event centers. We have one coming in my area at the end of this month. Do you have any experience or know of anyone who has bought this way? I'm wondering if they certify the diamonds sold there -- or will I end up getting what you call a piece of spit? Also, must everyone always get a certificate. A guy here bought his fiancee a diamond 4 months ago at the San Francisco gift center and they wanted to charge him an additi
saint.gif
onal $200 for a certificate. He didn't get it. I've heard from people at work that I will want to find a jewelry store that includes it. However that is suspect too, since they can just work the $200 into the total price.

Your thoughts on gem shows?

Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not too sure about Gem shows but a comment on a cert. I would not buy a diamond without a cert unless you can get it independently appraised BEFORE purchase to ensure that all the #'s are what the vendor says. What I would want to know is how do you know color or clarity if the stone has not been graded by a lab? That's just baloney. Taking someone's 'word' on what the stone is made up of is not how I would want to spend my hard-earned money. I would also say quite franky..run from a store who wants to charge you to give you a cert on the stone!! This isn't eBay! I have not run across one reputable store that charges you for the basics. Also, if the stone has not been graded at all...where do they get the cert from if they want to charge you? Sending it to GIA takes a month or two and I would assume the same for an AGS or similar. Definitely a little sketchy from a B&M retailer. If you were saying you were buying estate jewelry or something, yes no cert may make sense there. But why would a reputable jeweler sell a multi-thousand dollar stone with no cert? That's like selling a car with no title.

I've heard about the SF Gift Center/Jewelry Center (I live in Santa Clara) but I would never go there and shop...I have heard good and bad stories. I think it's a great place if you don't know anything about stones nor want to. If you just want to buy pretty sparklies from eyeballing them, great place. But for numbers people? A numbers person is what you will become when you are a little more educated, it happens to most of us.
2.gif
Numbers people want proof of something, not just a jewelers' word.

Buying online is tricky, you may not feel comfortable. Would highly suggest buying yourself a $25 idealscope (www.ideal-scope.com) and using it in the B&M stores you go into. It gauges light return of a stone, something that is HUGELY important when determining how that stone will look to your eye...e.g. sparkly and beautiful or leaky and dead (Frozen spit!!). If you shop offline, this is a tool I would really recommend. That way when a vendor tells you, hey this is an ideal cut, and you put it under the scope to see all sorts of white light leakage and pale pinks instead of reds and blacks, you can laugh at him and take your money elsewhere. I will say though that you will definitely get more bang for your $$ online with diamond shopping--and that there are some really amazing vendors on here that will go the extra mile to get you the stone you want.

Lastly on the Fred C book...I wasn't saying that you should go on the website and get the same info...but rather was not being clear...run a search on Google on Fred. Read about his past criminal history. His book is okay..I got it for free from his website (he will send it to you)...but PLEASE take it with a grain of salt. You don't need a bonded diamond, and if you were to email Fred with a great stone you found, where all the numbers match up and the scope images look great...99% chance he would come back and tell you that stone is 'warped' and he can sell you a really nice 'non warped' stone. Don't fall for it.

Use Pricescope to help ground you as you start to research. I would suggest as you start to get an idea of what you are looking for, post asking lots of questions. People will always try to help. Good luck!
1.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
All this talk of Derco Jewelers made me want to check them out (I am in NO WAY affiliated with them). You see, I am getting engaged soon and I always demand the very best for my women! And I've heard that Derco is a must see! So I was off like a prom dress!

It was un-fricking believable! They are the most helpful and curteous vendors who ever sold a diamond! Wholesale prices? Why, these prices were so good they HAD to be way way WAY below wholesale! And the diamonds? They sparkled like MAD! I was blinded! And ALL were graded by Derco people themselves rather than those shady "labs"!

They also have every setting known to man! And they were practically giving them away (but no pressure!)! I thought about buying online, but you know how you need to be careful about whom you associate with on the net. And we ALL know that internet diamonds are doggy poo.

But wait, there's more! They sell rubies and emeralds too! All below wholesale pricing! And gold and other sparkley stuff! And free coffee! And the help is easy on the eyes too
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif
If you know what I mean! WooHoo!

Mike in SF

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
*still laughing shamelessly at "off like a prom dress"*

Thanks Ra-uh, Mike, I needed that.
9.gif

Edited because sweet Jesus, you'd never know I majored in English.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
But do they have donuts? Donuts would sell me.
lickout.gif

Those lights sure are bright in here!

Hey is this an inclu....ooooh...pretty baubles......
rodent.gif

hsavy

Rough_Rock
Derco is the best thing since sliced bread! I have been shopping there since the early 1990's I have always been completely satisfied. I have purchased (or purchased for me) engagement ring, wedding bands, 3 pairs of diamond ear rings, misc. other rings, 1.5 ct. saf, ruby necklace etc. VERY HAPPY! I have shopped elsewhere in the past, but since I found Derco, I have not bought a piece of jewelery from anywhere else.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmmm....doooonutssss.....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yanno I'm thinkin' that RA better put a disclaimer on his post about SARCASM, because there will be people who come in and go...WOW...below wholesale diamonds? Coffee? SWEET! I'm there!
rolleyes.gif

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Howdy everyone,

Well, I eventually ended up buying a rockin’ e-ring from Derco!
1.gif
Would I recommend it to my friends? Absolutely! Would I tell them, “just go in there and you can’t go wrong!” No way!

Like almost anywhere else, if you want to walk out of there with a 99th percentile diamond, you have to be willing to spend the time doing research and studying beforehand. But especially for the guys who are within a couple hours drive of SF, I think it’s definitely worth the trip.

Noting what others recommended, I called several weeks beforehand to start working with my sales rep and let her know what I was looking for. When I first got there, though, I was very disappointed that they only had 2 stones that met my criteria (1.1 – 1.2, F/G, VS1/2, AGS-0 Ideal Cut). Luckily, one of them was exactly what we were looking for.

It was a very nice looking stone, looked good under the Ideal-Scope, and I did a phone relay with my friend to run the HCA for me (scored a 1 - Ex Ex Ex Vg). It exhibited what I considered to be a solid H&A pattern, but they only refer to their Canadian diamonds as “H&A.” Oh, regarding what I said earlier about selection – they did have an additional 3 Canadian diamonds that met my criteria (except for price! hee hee).
2.gif

We chose a cute wedding set in platinum and three weeks later it was delivered to my home no problem! Just in time for me to propose on our 3rd dating anniversary.

Anyway, here are the numbers:
1.1 ct. RB G VS1
6.67 – 6.70 x 4.07 mm
Depth: 60.9%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle/Ht.: 33.9 deg., 15.1%
Pav. Angle/Ht: 40.9 deg, 43.1%
Girdle: 0.9% - 1.5%, faceted
Culet: Pointed
Polish/Sym/ Proportions: Id, Id, Id

It is quite a fireball – we were helping out at an ALS Fundraiser last weekend, and a total stranger just came up and started asking her about it. Actually, it has a lot more white light than colored light return, so maybe fireball is a misnomer ...
2.gif
I’m trying to take a picture but am having an incredibly hard time getting a clear, close-up picture that does it justice (I have an Oly C-50 but, admittedly, don’t know how to use all the manual settings). Here’s a flashy one but it doesn’t show much detail.

If anyone has any picture taking advice (or knows good key words for the archive search) please let me know!

Thanks to everyone on Pricescope for helping me out with their advice and opinions!

Craig
2.gif

Ring Flashy.jpg

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Holy cow - that picture is gigantic!
2.gif

I tried sizing it 700 x 700 pixels at 72 dpi - the jpeg file was around 45 kb. Any guesses where I went wrong?
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried sizing it 700 x 700 pixels at 72 dpi - the jpeg file was around 45 kb. Any guesses where I went wrong?
3.gif

----------------

You went wrong when you sized it at 700x700 pixels, thats a huge picture!
1.gif
Next time try something like 200x200 or similar. Anyway--congrats on what looks an amazingly beautiful stone!! From the shallower crown angle...it looks like it could be one of those slightly shallow stones that Garry talks about sometimes...hence the white light return vs fire. It looks great on your girls finger and I love her setting.

Derco has gotten alot of compliments on this forum...the bottom line is that one needs to be educated regardless of where they shop.

However, one thing in your post intrigued me. You were very happy with Derco, their service, etc but you note that even though you called them weeks in advance and gave them your parameters which were strict, they only had 2 stones that fit your bill. Lucky for you...one of them was IT. But what if it hadn't been? Wonder if you would have been as happy with Derco's 2 stones if you hadn't found the one you wanted out of their two choices. Not alot of selection there.

I think people should shop all the bases when trying to find their stone...even if they don't plan to shop online....they can at least see what is on there so in case a B&M only shows you 2 stones and neither one of them is IT...you have other options and don't feel pidgeonholed.

Congrats on the beautiful stone and discriminating eye!

1.gif

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the pic sizing tip, Mara - now I just have to learn to take 'em like Rhino ...
2.gif

The setting is 3 8-pointers (F/G, VS1) on each side in a shared prong setting. The wedding band is just 7 8-pointers across the top.

Regarding your question about selection - I agree! If I had planned my entire trip to SF based around going to Derco, I could have been severely disappointed (or busted my budget
2.gif
) if the one diamond I selected wasn't there. My salesgirl did tell me to call a couple days before my trip, she'd fax me the available certs and if there was one I liked she could hold it for me - but we were in Las Vegas the week before so I didn't get a chance.

But ... I may have overblown it a little. I wanted to give an accurate appraisal, so I pointed out the one negative in my experience. Part of it was my bad, though - I wasn't really aggressive on the phone, didn't ask her to bring in stones, and actually told her more than once, "in that ballpark - a little bigger or smaller is okay ..." And they did have a lot of 1 - 1.09 and a few 1.25+ stones that day.
I guess from my work I'm conditioned to clearly state to the vendor that my seeking product information does not constitute an agreement to purchase from that vendor ... hee hee
3.gif
. She might have got the impression that I was more in the looking than the buying stage …

We were also working with a local jeweler (same one as 69gm) on finding a stone so we had a fallback position. In fact, my g/f told me later she thought us going to Derco was just "going through the motions" and wasn't expecting to find someting there (now it's her favorite store!
2.gif
).

Thanks for your kind words!

Craig
2.gif

Band 220 180.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow that wedding band is a real knockout!! Great pictures!
1.gif
That set is going to be amazing when put together...

mrs.larson

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
In response to the many numerous postings and replies...
I am personally very cautious about buying online because I was once scammed many years ago that's why I said that I would never personally recommend it, but like many of you have said... If you're well educated and take your time, it may work out for you. I never meant that ALL diamonds or vendors online will be scams or low quality, I just wanted to make sure that people are aware of what can happen. I'm sure the internet has come a long way since then and there are stricter laws and regulations, so it is much safer now, but I just want everyone to be careful.
I'm sorry if I have offended anyone and can accept the misunderstandings, but how dare anyone to say that I am blatantly lying or for saying those mean things when you don't know me. You should be ashamed of yourself (Spicolicpa)I did not say ALL diamonds online would be yellow or included!
So, I can admit I did sound ignorant there, but it's been a long time since I've even thought of looking for a diamond online. Recently, because of these postings, I took a look online and found that there can be some nice, high-quality stones, but I would still prefer to see them in person. And because I have arthritis and joint problems, it is hard for me to always get on the computer and reply, (hence the few postings, but when I do get on I try to make sure to reply to everyone). I do not work for Derco, but because I have been such a long-time customer, they have become trusted advisors and friends. I am a very satisfied and happy customer and I will highly recommend them! I don't remember ever getting free coffee, but they do serve fresh squeezed orange-juice and have candy! I have also visited the new San Jose store that also serves champagne.
I have also heard them tell other customers that if they can get a better deal somewhere else, that they should do it as long as they will be happy with the purchase. They don't pressure into sales, just trying to do their best, as we all are.
Their SF store started out as a wolesale business, as the entire Giftcenter/Jewelrymart did, but now they have the retail store in SJ that is open to the public.
To Louise, I'm not sure exactly what they will stock in SJ, but the diamonds in regards to conflict are illegal in the US. The only ones I know much about from Canada that come with a certificate of origin are the Ekati's, which Derco does carry. If you want more info, you should contact Derco's new store in SJ because they have a nice gentleman named David Harris who has been a certified and graduate gemologist for over 30 years and also has his own lab where he does appraisals. I'm sure he knows a lot.
Once again, I hope my info has helped those of you that have requested it and also sorry for those I have offended or put off with my earlier ignorant statements.

steamer1

Rough_Rock
If you go to the Gift Center you really need to see Cindy at Ritz Jewelers. She really works hard to give her customers the best price/value in the building. I know because I have worked with her for almost 15 years. But you need to ask for her by name.

madvaz

Rough_Rock
Hello, I''m starting to search for an engagement ring and I been told that Derco Jewelers in the bay area, CA is a good dealer..my question is..Is the one in Santa Clara the same as the one is SF? Meaning..is the Derco in SF cheaper than the one in Santa Clara?

Any other good dealers in the Bay Area? I am willing to drive anywhere to get the best deal I can not have to worry about hitting up the stores in the Malls..

Thanks

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I visted Derco about 2 weeks ago. I went to the santana row store. Both the Derco stores are the same price wise. but I think the SF location is by appointment only? Their prices are comparable to the online vendors prices. I wasn''t able to find what I was looking for and gave the sales person specs of the type of stone I wanted. However, they never got back to me. Their entire inventory is listed on their website http://www.dercodiamonds.com . So bascially if you find one you are looking for on their online diamond search, give them a call. Otherwise, don''t bother.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results