shape
carat
color
clarity

Any experience with Derco Jewelers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Hello,
Is anyone familiar with Derco Jewelers in San Francisco? My friend bought his engagement ring there and got a very good deal compared to the local b&m jewelers. On another forum someone posted that Derco matched prices he printed from a Pricescope search.

I am looking for an engagement ring and am going to be in SF next month. My plan is to shop the local jewelry stores to figure out the shape, size and setting I want. Then I can find out how much I “should” be paying for that diamond using Pricescope and take that info with me to Derco. If anyone has had a positive experience with Derco or would like to share a cautionary tale it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I've recommended Derco to people. You won't be cheated and you can probably find a great diamond. You *have* to go in, though, knowing exactly what you want, preferably calling ahead to make sure they have a selection for you to look at. If you don't talk about cut they won't mention it, but if you show you know what you're doing and what you want they can be very helpful.

Also, I've known them to match Internet prices, so going in with Pricescope prices is a good idea.

shaygirl

Rough_Rock
Just remember that you will have to pay tax, so even if they match an internet price you could come out ahead ordering online.

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input!
1.gif

I trust my friend's judgement as far as Derco goes, but he didn't do any internet comparison shopping so I was mostly curious regarding the pricing.

Also, for his ring, Derco set it then mailed it to him out of state so there was no sales tax (which is a whopping 8-1/4% in SF!).

jpurdy

Rough_Rock
Derco is awesome. In particular, the sales rep Katherine does an excellent job of sitting down with you and helping you design EXACTLY what you are looking for. On a side note, George Lucas shops there so it is great quality as well.

Good luck.
Jenn Purdy

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Being from San Fran myself 8.5% doesn't seem high. Guess Im use to it.

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Hi Jenn,
Thanks for the info. Do you know what kind of info they have available in store? Sarin, BrillianceScope, etc? These online sites are spoiling me!
2.gif

Innerkitten - Hawaii has 4.17% "sales" tax (technically, we don't have sales tax, but businesses are allowed to pass on the 4% general excise tax to customers). I guess that kind of makes up for the higher prices for everything else!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If you do an advanced search, you will find some other supporters.

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
Call Derco 415-626-7442. Ask for Pete. Tell him what you are looking for, carat weight, color, etc. If you want the crown angles, etc. he can tell you over the phone. Very nice person to work with. Above all, not pushy.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Derco comes highly recommended on this forum...I would also like to pipe in with my consumer knowledge and say that I would also shop around in your area and online as well. Personally I don't see anything special about Derco..they are a jeweler like any other jeweler in the US IMO. Yes they may sell nice stones, and they may give good service, but what is wrong with a jeweler in your area? Have you looked around locally to see what sorts of stones and/or settings and/or quality you have in your area? It may be easier to buy locally for future cleanings, prong-checks etc than to buy from SF if you don't live there. Also if you are considering buying in SF...consider buying online, you can find some spectacular stones that will rival if not outshine anything in Derco and if you are buying in SF you won't get that local jeweler care anyway...

My two cents. I live in SF Bay and we have driven by Derco a few times...but for whatever reason I never really feel the urge to go in there. Maybe it's their storefront which looks too 'get your wholesale deal here' that doesn't appeal to me. Anyway...just figured I'd pipe in and say there may be some great places in your area and online that you should explore as well if you are planning on potentially buying a ring while on a trip in another locale. You have a month of time...learn what you can
1.gif

Also if you buy the ring while in SF they will charge you sales tax...but if you have it shipped to out of state and/or call in the purchase on the phone--maybe that is how they can get around it.

Best of luck!

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for their input!

In reply to Mara's post ...
We just started browsing the local shops this weekend. Ideally, I'd love to buy from a local shop for the very reasons you've stated. From talking to several friends who recently purchased e-rings, though, most of the local jewelry stores are very pricey. We went to T & Co. (just to look) and another well known local jeweler who carries their own "branded" H&A ("Heartstar"). A 1.11 ct F VS1 RB was $9200! I'm sure it was open to some negotiation, but that just seemed outrageous! We are going to visit more shops and see what the local market is like. btw, "home" for me is Hawaii, home of the $3.79 1/2-gallon carton of milk.

I'm not totally set on buying at Derco - it's just that from talking to my friend and reading posts here and elsewhere, it seems that we can get "close" to internet pricing there. Since we were already traveling to the Bay Area, I figured it was a sign!
2.gif
But we're not going to walk in with the mindset of, "okay, we're finding something in the next 3 hours no matter what!"

I've been learning quite a bit from reading everyone's posts and I'm kind of addicted to Jonathan's site, so buying over the internet isn't quite as traumatic as when I first tuned into this forum. We're still going to check out Derco, but it's gone from a "strong buy" to a "hold."

Thanks again for all your help!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Roughrider, a poster w/ the name of 69gm recently purchased a stone from a local jeweler in Hawaii. You may want to PM him & ask if he is close to your neck of the woods.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you are covering all the bases! I am sure you will find an excellent stone for an excellent price with the research you're doing!
1.gif

fish

Rough_Rock
My Husband purchased a diamond ring for me there.
I think the pricing was very good.
You need to call before you go or have a reseller number to get into the building.

Fish

gemexplorer

Rough_Rock
This is the kind of business on the internet that will grow continuously with endorsement by people who are in the industry and with buyers who can confirm their buying with the trade prices listed here and there. I think there are enough retailers out there who is not looking for the fast dollar and they are willing to work hard to educate their customers and clients.

Just remember that many jewelers by working on a slim margin also takes much risks for the margin often is merely 20% or less - It means , if there are any mishaps- from breaking or missing any diamonds - the risk factor continues to be high on the sellers end.

I am not here to justify the "margin" of cost - but this is one economic factor that all have to bear . If the client is good and not troublesome, many jewelers will also be working on a lower margin were there is a greater "comfot" zone with known clients and their recommendations. It works both ways and good news sure travels faster in the world of Internet today and e-commerce is here for us and speically for those who can command both the "physical" and "online" sales will continue to foster growth by repeat customers and their endorsement and recommendation.

gemexplorer

Rough_Rock
But often , beside the diamonds or after sales of the diamond - It will still take a shop and to work with the buyer with both design and selection of the mountings. Many of us can do on line and I myself have design drawn, sketch, digitized and sent onward to Thailand, Brazil as well as local manufacturers- it will depend upon on the side stones and supported materials - I used tremendous amount of cut white sapphires , both in princess and brilliant cut round for my larger color gemstone pieces. bit by bit, well measured of the setting in MM, the estimated weight , the side stones - when it is viable I make them in my own team in Chicago. But whenever possible - I have them make in Thailand. And in Hong Kong/China when I do the pave work where the selection of the melees are generally far more avialble and less costly than in the US.

This is now a global world and via UPS or Fedex- item can come back in a matter of days.
Time to use the global logistics which can save you ample times. Of course, I have been around for quite a bit where I have also built up my contacts and support team in Asia and in Brazil.

gemexplorer

Rough_Rock
I think often the local or area jewelers now are also fighting to survive or trying hard to adjust to the world of Internet - Many will be forced to make changes or to be phase out. Indeed, the retail way of doing business is just about over - When I say over is that many are still being overly "speculative" in pricing.

I have found that many of the buyers can also give their local a chance - if and when you have done your work online with price well researched and articulated - and ask if your local jewelers will work with you on such stone and with the specifications - often times, by workinglocally, you can also have the services where you may need the ring to be polsihed and cleaned - that is not to say that any jewelers afar can also do the same - and we ship UPS and Fedex almost daily to many clients - even customers that are merely five miles away - For a fee of about $6.00 UPS will have the goods delviered next day ( all within 80 miles radius ) and for many of my customers who has a business- they love that service because a parking ticket can cost just as much if not more.

So, it is the time where customers like yourself can also initiate with the local jewelers -- I have found that many jewelers know of the information age is here and if they are not competitive in price and in service - they will not be there for long. If the buyers had done their homework , and if the local jewelers is not too far beyond "reality". The best line I have instructed my customer when buying overseas on their trips or into the Islands is to say "What is the best you can do for me on this ...." if the manner is courteous and sincere - Many Jewelers will work close with their clients and it generates a Win/Win situation and you may have create a good bond. Speculative Jewlers todays won't last much longer for the world is way too transparent for all to see.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Paul, you should post these thoughts in their own thread where folks won't overlook them. It is very interesting to me to watch the transparency you speak of transform the business.

hottie

Rough_Rock
Rough Rider,
My entire family has used Derco for years and the quality is unsurpassd. I am curious how Mara can drive by Derco when it is inside the jewelry mart?????Also when and if you ever want to upgrade they will give you full value towards another perfect diamond..Very good prices and excellent quality..

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/31/2003 12:14:12 AM hottie wrote:

Rough Rider,
My entire family has used Derco for years and the quality is unsurpassd. I am curious how Mara can drive by Derco when it is inside the jewelry mart?????

Possibly I am thinking of another store then...this one I am thinking of is over near Union Square. I thought it was Derco's but possibly not? It was definitely a name I had seen posted on here before as a great SF store to go to but the outdoors did not impress me at all.

Also when and if you ever want to upgrade they will give you full value towards another perfect diamond..Very good prices and excellent quality..

Just out of curiousity, what exactly are the qualifications for the 'perfect diamond'.
9.gif

----------------

msmanolo

Rough_Rock
I think you mean Simayof? They have stores in walnut creek too and las vegas. the walnut creek store has these high pressure "closers" that come up to you and try to pressure you into a purchase. "what can we do to get you to take this diamond home with you..."

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes that is probably it. They have quotes such as 'We only carry the best EGL and GIA certified diamonds' and things like that..almost like screen papered the entire outside of the store. Somewhat scary. Never gone in though...

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/31/2003 1:36:26 AM Mara wrote:
Also when and if you ever want to upgrade they will give you full value towards another perfect diamond..Very good prices and excellent quality..

Just out of curiousity, what exactly are the qualifications for the 'perfect diamond'.
9.gif

----------------

Mara, I certainly hope hottie has no connection with Derco because any use of the term "perfect" in connection with diamond marketing has been banned by the FTC since 1929, and we wouldn't want them to get in trouble, would we?
3.gif
9.gif
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LG...hence I was so curious to find out more about the 'perfect' diamond...as they seem to be so darn hard to find. Must be that FTC ban thing or else there'd probably be more. What a nuisance!!
9.gif

mrs.larson

Rough_Rock
In response to the numerous postings...
Derco Jewelers is a very reputable company started in the 1930's, they are also the strongest sellers in the SF Giftcenter/Jewelrymart. The reason for this is because they are very honest and customer service oriented, they are never pushy and most of their clients are repeat customers and referrals. There inventory is very high quality with most of their diamonds GIA certified. They do carry lower quality stones for the people that care more about quantity than quality, so that they can meet every individuals budget, but they do prefer to offer high quality at affordable prices. Because they are wholesalers, you will find their prices at about half of what any retail store offers.
I have found out that they are also getting ready to open a new store in San Jose sometime in mid October. It will be located in the Santana Row shopping center (across the street from Valley Fair) behind Crate & Barrel. For all of you SF customers that live in the South Bay, you can soon go to this store instead of driving to the city and still have your items cleaned, polished, and maintained for free. The company has always offered this policy to any purchase you make at their store and even for those items you have purchsed elsewhere. That's what customer service is!!!!!
I would highly recommend them. I worked with a lady named May in the SF store and another named Angie, they are both transfering to open the San Jose store, so if you go there, definitely see one of them. They are both very helpful and informative. Out of the 8 diamonds I looked at, they urged me to go with the one that caught my eye the best and it wasn't even the most expensive or biggest diamond they showed me. All of the other places I shopped at tried to push me towards the most expensive, whether I liked it or not. At Derco they are definitely thinking about your happiness with the diamond and care about what YOU like. At the other stores all you can see is $$ signs in their eyes as they calculate their commission from your purchase.
I am also studying to get my Graduate Gemologist degree with GIA. From what I've learned through the school and also from my own experiences, I would never recommend buying a diamond online. You might get the same size diamond online for a lot cheaper, but you will be sacrificing color and clarity. When you buy a diamond form Derco, they show you the GIA report and also let you view the diamond under a loupe (magnifier), so you can see exactly what inclusions it has (or doesn't have). When you buy online, you cannot see the diamond's inclusions. Even if the picture looks nice and sparkly, remember that it can be doctored and that there are a lot of scam artists selling *Certified* diamonds, but you're really getting a CZ and a fake or copied certificate. If it is a real diamond, it will probably be very yellow colored and have spots, cracks, chips, or other things that will make it dull and not white, clear and sparkly as the diamonds you can see for yourself in person.
I hope that this info has helped everyong and as a studying gemologist and long time customer of Derco's, please don't hesitate to e-mail me with any questions aboput Derco or about Diamonds! [email protected] And as the term "perfect" diamond is prohibited, there are Flawless and Ideal cut diaomonds. Flawless means it has absolutely no inclusions and those are extremely rare and expensive and Ideal cut is the best cut to make that diamond shine, it's also known as a Heart and Arrows cut (you can look that up in a Google search, because it's too long to explain). While most of us will never be able to afford the Flawless, go in and ask for an Ideal or H&A cut which Derco specializes in. So, although the diamond can not be "labeled perfect", the diamond you choose can be the "perfect diamond for you"!
9.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
From what I've learned through the school and also from my own
experiences, I would never recommend buying a diamond online. You
might get the same size diamond online for a lot cheaper, but you will
be sacrificing color and clarity...
-----------

Once you become a little more familiar with online diamond buying from reputable vendors you will realize that this and some of the other comments you made are incorrect.

Well intended I'm sure, but incorrect.

Welcome to PriceScope.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Because they are wholesalers, you will find their prices at about half
of what any retail store offers.
-----------

Anyone who sells to the public is not a wholesaler. Wholesalers sell to the trade only.

Most retailers who make the claim they are selling "wholesale to the public" are probably selling at very low retail prices, but they are retail nonetheless.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for conveying some of my thoughts Rich. Another note: Just because a diamond has "ideal" proportions does not mean it is a Hearts & Arrows diamond either. I can point you to some diamonds with "ideal" proportions that have disastrous optical symmetry.

Rhino

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
When you buy a diamond form Derco, they show you the GIA report and also let you view the diamond under a loupe (magnifier), so you can see exactly what inclusions it has (or doesn't have). When you buy online, you cannot see the diamond's inclusions. Even if the picture looks nice and sparkly, remember that it can be doctored and that there are a lot of scam artists selling *Certified* diamonds, but you're really getting a CZ and a fake or copied certificate.

Uh, okay. I recommend Derco all the time to co-workers who are not Internet-savvy, but this statement of yours is so egregiously false that I"m not sure how to respond--especially when you are expressing it on an Internet jewelry forum. There are a lot of reputable vendors here with an Internet presence and a lot of consumers here who are happy Internet customers.

Richard and Jonathan, just to provide some explanation into Derco and the wholesale thing. The Jewelry Mart they are in was indeed designed as wholesale-only and it used to be much harder for a consumer to get in unless accompanied by a member of the trade. Back 10 years ago you had to jump through a number of hoops, including showing your business license and your business card, before you could be admitted. Over the years it's become easier and easier for consumers to get in, and although there are a handful of jewelers there who still won't sell to the consumers who show up, most have discovered how lucrative it is to sell directly to the public.

Derco is probably the most famous diamond dealer in there, and still profit from their original repuation as a wholeseller. They have long since abandoned that pretense, though, and even advertise in magazines now.

cc

Rough_Rock
My fiance got my engagement ring at Derco.

Actually, my coworker got hers there too, and it's lovely. So she recommended I go there when we were ready to go ring shopping. My (now) fiance and I went to the jewelry mart and hit about 6 stores, looking for the perfect ring. We were discouraged, and could fnd anything...I was looking specifically for a fancy cut, so it was harder. Either the stores didn't have the diamonds, or the quality, or were unfriendly. Finally, our last stop was Derco. What a great experience!

Mind you, it is always packed so don't be discouraged and walk out; I highly recommend going there. There are many settings to choose from, and I am positive you will get great quality for a good price. My ring appraised for almost $3K more than what it cost. It is the most beautiful ring, and I LOVE IT!!! I get many compliments on it. When you go, ask for May. She is very helpful and sweet. Not only that, she took her time with us, and even made us look at the GIA inscribed number on the stone, and then check it again later once it was set. It took about a month, since my ring was custom made, and I had very specific desires about the way it looked, and she was very knowledgable, keen to what I wanted, and when it was finally done, it was PERFECT. Exactly the way I wanted. May is great....you should definitely work with her. The whole ring buying experience could not have been better, and we are going back to her for our bands.

Also, don't buy any stones graded internationally. Someone tried to sell us a 'fabulous' diamond that was hard to come by and high quality, etc. but was unattractive. I have 3 imperatives for you:
1. do your homework. I printed a 3" binders worth of info on diamonds, pricing, 4C's, how to spot scams, what to look for, etc. Print and read as much as you can so that you are an educated and savvy shopper. It helps!!!!

2. Trust your eyes and instinct. Even if someone tells you it's a great diamond, if it just doesn't look right, or have sparkle and fire, reject it. Don't let someone scare or push you or tell you it's a great price for the stone. the right stone and ring is out there, and it will appear when the time comes. It did for us!!

3. Take your time. We searched almost a month, and got discouraged. I must have changed my mind a million times, but if you have a specific stone or cut or style in mind, stick to it, and don't give in to a fluke change of heart. Every time I changed my mind because some salesperson didn't have what I was looking for, and offered something better, by the time I got home, my mind went back to my original dream ring. The ring you are looking for is there.

HOPE this all helps. good luck!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results