shape
carat
color
clarity

Any chance this could be gold?

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

This ring is marked 585 and 14K but looks like it's made of copper. It's very heavy - 13g.
I can't have it tested for a few days so was wondering if anyone has seen any similar ones, and if gold can sometimes look like copper? It's a man's ring. I'm a bit worried it looks like the fake ones people use for street scams, though!

Thanks!

All the best

L

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 21

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a bit worried it looks like the fake ones people use for street scams, though!

lol

That reminds me of the time my good lady and I were in Paris.

We were near that arch with the crazy roundabout with Priorité a Droite (spelling...) when some guy comes up showing us this substantial 'gold' ring.

It ends up that he 'gifts' it to me by placing it in my upturned palm then walks off. Thirty seconds later he's back asking for money for coffee or something :roll: lol

I hadn't even closed my palm or done anything else so he just took the 'gold' ring back off me and walked off.

Welcome to Paris! :lol:

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Haha, this happened to me in London.
A woman found a gold ring near me in an otherwise empty street and showed it to me, and was urging me to take it. I glimpsed a hallmark inside, and was very concerned for the person who lost it, so kept telling the women to take it to the police station. I remember having a little chat with her (there was some sob story about her husband), and I knew a few words in her language so we joked about that and parted on good terms.

It's only when I Googled 'gold ring scam' that I found out she would most probably have tried to sell it to me and it would have been worthless. Thankfully I was honest, I never even thought of accepting it!

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I want to believe it's gold if it's marked accordingly, but obviously only an acid test will tell you for sure. Gold is alloyed with an array of other metals when breaking it down from 24K into other carratages and colors. Rose gold is usually alloyed with copper and silver, so perhaps that's the case here. Maybe more copper than gold is in the ring, perhaps by the customer's request. Just guessing. But safest bet is to just wait and have it tested.

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Thanks, LIGemzGal! I hope so. I put it in cider vinegar for 15 mins and it didn't change colour and the metal does have a good, 'deep' look ,so getting used to the idea that it could be gold.

If it is, I will have to decide whether to sell it for the weight (I would get £330 approx!) or as a ring. I'm mainly a collector, as I love jewellery, and resell pieces to fund new purchases. But sales are so bad at the moment, even when I put the lowest price possible...

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Took it to a pawnbroker to sell and they said it's fake! It bubbled green with a horrible smell when tested with acid. There's lots around apparently. I will bin it, as it's probably made from toxic stuff!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results