shape
carat
color
clarity

Any animosity from diamond size??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2008 11:35:25 PM
Author: diamondfan

Date: 7/16/2008 9:37:13 AM
Author: cbs102
Diamondfan,

how can anyone say anything snarky about your ring?!! my god, it is georgous!!!!!! howdo you lift your hand!!!!!!! (he he he)..

You would be surprised. I have had many nasty comments like, OH! Who would want to wear something so big? It looks fake.

I just shrug...I love it so that is what counts!
Shrug? I''d be laughing my you-know-what off right in their face. That is totally pure jealousy
20.gif

Your EC is my dream ring. I absolutely adore it
30.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
a friend just got engaged and was showing her ring to a woman at work. The woman paused for a moment and said, where is it?

REALLY!?!
29.gif
Some people are unbelievable! This woman was divorced, and it''s no wonder. No one wants to be married to someone miserable.
20.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel so sorry for your friend. What a rude comment to make
14.gif
Some people have no class whatsoever.

Linda

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 1:56:50 AM
Author: trillionaire
a friend just got engaged and was showing her ring to a woman at work. The woman paused for a moment and said, where is it?

REALLY!?!
29.gif
Some people are unbelievable! This woman was divorced, and it''s no wonder. No one wants to be married to someone miserable.
20.gif

OMG that has to be the one of the most horrible comments I have ever heard.
23.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

REALLY!?!
29.gif
20.gif

OMG, what is wrong with people?!?!?

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 8:09:31 AM
Author: MoonWater

REALLY!?!
29.gif
20.gif

OMG, what is wrong with people?!?!?
Damn jealousy reering its hidiously ugly head. i do not understand people these days..it makes me want to never go out in public for fear of being made to feel like crap! that is terrible!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have said to that lady who is divorced..."at least mine is bigger than yours" I mean, pretty disgusting to make a comment like that when she has NOTHING! It is a vile comment any way you slice it!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Can we say bitter much?? I''m so sorry to hear about this.

I would have said, "I''m marrying my best friend, and couldn''t be happier. Thanks.", and then been on my way. If it''s envy, then that will get her, AND she wouldn''t have anything bad to say about her around the office, as opposed to if she had used a snarky comeback. The nerve of some people...
15.gif

Trillionaire: Did she say anything or was she in awe like the rest of us?

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Wow , that is nasty. I would''ve said "That comment says more about you than it does about my ring" Geesh!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The woman paused and said "Where is it?" YIKES!!

I would have said "It''s on my hand. Where is your optometrist?"

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 9:21:14 AM
Author: diamondfan
I would have said to that lady who is divorced...''at least mine is bigger than yours'' I mean, pretty disgusting to make a comment like that when she has NOTHING! It is a vile comment any way you slice it!
HAHAHAHAHAHA That would have been AWESOME.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I get so frustrated sometimes when people totally disregard the fact that there is actually a lot of knowledge when it comes to choosing a ring... i.e. choosing shape, color, clarity (DUH! i know all of you know this!
1.gif
) Listening to people make comments about size are clearly not educated on diamonds. I notice every ring no matter what the size, even if it''s not a solitaire ring - eternity rings and birthstones are gorgeous too. And to say someone is materialistic? My ring is going to be a size that looks good on my hand and that I am in love with, not huge and everything else just because I wanted it..

Hopefully this makes sense!!

1.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
I was in a nail salon in NYC, when the manicurist picks up my ring--once I'd taken it off--and asks, "1.5, right?" I shrugged my shoulders, saying that I'd never asked (a fib: it's 1.3). She then said, "Yep. Mine's 1.25. Same design. Definitely 1.5". In the next breath or two, she impatiently asks what my husband does for a living.

I can't say that I was offended, but I was weirded out, and I did sense a kind of animosity in her about someone else having a bigger ring, albeit by fractions of carat weight.

As for me, I would say that my ring is too small to have experienced repeated animosity, though I do remember the mother of a bride saying that my ring was the shiniest at the event, a fact noted by the bride who made some comment about the design being too plain.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

REALLY!?!
29.gif
20.gif
That has to be one of the most ridiculous examples of pathetic jealousy I have ever heard.....
20.gif
20.gif

bettina

Rough_Rock
When my sister got engaged they couldn''t afford much so they cutomized an e-ring with a large stone (I think agate) for around $400. My fiance spent closer to $5000 on a diamond. I''d never tell her, but I hope she''s jealous of it since darling daddy gave her $7000 for a honeymoon and won''t give us a dime. But I''ve never rubbed it in her face and I''m truly glad she''s so happy.

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
When my sister got engaged they couldn''t afford much so they cutomized an e-ring with a large stone (I think agate) for around $400. My fiance spent closer to $5000 on a diamond. I''d never tell her, but I hope she''s jealous of it since darling daddy gave her $7000 for a honeymoon and won''t give us a dime. But I''ve never rubbed it in her face and I''m truly glad she''s so happy.

A)Good on you for not being the son or daughter who needs ''economic outpatient care'' - i.e. money from their parents to live their life as an adult, whether its a honeymoon or a house etc.

B) Why do you hope she''s jealous of it ??

tberube

Brilliant_Rock

REALLY!?!
29.gif
20.gif

Oh now THAT''S the worst. People who are divorced, miserable, and do their darndest to make everyone just as miserable as they are. Then they go on about how marriage is a sham, and insinuate that you''re making a bad decision just getting married. Such killjoys...it''s disgusting. Just because you made a bad choice of partner doesn''t mean I will.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 9:26:32 AM
Author: bettina

There are so many things wrong with what you just said it''s not even normal.... hmmm I could say some mean things right now but I shall refrain.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 8:30:02 AM
Author: ursulawrite

...I do remember the mother of a bride saying that my ring was the shiniest at the event, a fact noted by the bride who made some comment about the design being too plain.

That reminds me of a wedding I went to last year. It took place just a month after our engagement and the bride hadn''t yet seen my ring. When she got her first look at it during the reception, the first thing she said was "wow, it''s so much bigger and better than mine. That halo - that''s what I wanted. [Hubby] doesn''t listen."

Now I''m not sure that''s exactly considered animosity towards ME, but it made me feel very uncomfortable for her new hubby.
40.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 9:26:32 AM
Author: bettina
When my sister got engaged they couldn't afford much so they cutomized an e-ring with a large stone (I think agate) for around $400. My fiance spent closer to $5000 on a diamond. I'd never tell her, but I hope she's jealous of it since darling daddy gave her $7000 for a honeymoon and won't give us a dime. But I've never rubbed it in her face and I'm truly glad she's so happy.
Completely ignoring you statement about jealousy...
20.gif

Being honest with yourself and us here at PS, have your parents not ever gifted you will something of the same worth (ie, $7000). Maybe a car your sister didn't get, or more help with the wedding? Maybe help with college, or a more extravagant wedding? This sounds completely absurd, because no matter how many families I've come across, other than in movies, are parents this partial towards one sibling.

I have experience with this.... When I graduated and got a Full ride to play golf at a public college in Texas, my parents bought me a gorgeous Lexus as a graduation present. However, my older sister, who had my parents pay for 5 yrs of private school at TCU in fort worth, didn't talk to me for almost 3 years. I was beside myself that she could be that blind to what was actually going on.

bettina

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 10:58:47 AM
Author: customcushion

A)Good on you for not being the son or daughter who needs ''economic outpatient care'' - i.e. money from their parents to live their life as an adult, whether its a honeymoon or a house etc.

B) Why do you hope she''s jealous of it ??
It seems fair that I get a fantastic ring if she gets a fantastic honeymoon. Probably not the way I should be looking at it, but I can''t hide that little bug inside. On the other hand, I really don''t take well to gifts so I doubt I''d be comfortable if my dad gave us money for anything.

bettina

Rough_Rock
Being TOTALLY honest with everyone: I have 3 sisters. Dad bought them each a car outright. When it came to mine he paid for it and I made payments to him with interest. They have an allowance and get gas money. I have paid for everything by myself since I was 16. I''m the only one who works out of the four of us and do everything myself. I''m the only one who paid their own college tuition. I was assuming they''d be happy we''re getting married and be willing to help. As it is we''re eloping so we don''t have to deal with family issues. So, judge me as you will. I''m just happy we''re in a situation enough to get the ring he wanted and maybe they''ll grow up eventually. As for handouts: I don''t like help. I don''t like charity. I doubt I''d take the money if he offered it. But treat me the same as the other 3.

irenehaze

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I am slightly worried about what my friends will say when they see my ring. My boyfriend and I picked it out yesterday and it''s...not too subtle. It''s a fairly large blue sapphire with about a carat of diamonds surrounding the gem and on the band. My friends are much more conservative when it comes to jewelry and clothes, so I feel like they''re going to be all, "...wow, was that really necessary? why not just get a diamond solitaire?" I wonder if I''m going to be explaining myself for the next few months...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

REALLY!?!
29.gif
20.gif

Well, this sounds like a woman who definitely is as rude IRL as she could be on the Internet. No "hiding" for her....

20.gif

She reminds me of a girl I met in Europe. She had just come from Greece and had terrible weather. I had wonderful weather all throughout Europe and we were both heading toward the same next destination I said, "Well, you''ll have good weather there for sure, since I seem to be carrying the good weather with me. I hope I get good weather in Greece too, as I am heading there in a few weeks."

She said, "Well, I hope you don''t. If I couldn''t have good weather, I don''t want you to have it. No offense."

I swear I am not making this up, and that is what she said VERBATIM (I will never forget it.) What a miserable creature!! It was probably the only time in my life I was absolutely speechless (I think I was standing there with my mouth wide open). When I came to my senses, I had to leave the building for fear that I would smack her silly and get arrested by the Italian police.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 11:29:55 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Well, this sounds like a woman who definitely is as rude IRL as she could be on the Internet. No ''hiding'' for her....

20.gif

She reminds me of a girl I met in Europe. She had just come from Greece and had terrible weather. I had wonderful weather all throughout Europe and we were both heading toward the same next destination I said, ''Well, you''ll have good weather there for sure, since I seem to be carrying the good weather with me. I hope I get good weather in Greece too, as I am heading there in a few weeks.''

She said, ''Well, I hope you don''t. If I couldn''t have good weather, I don''t want you to have it. No offense.''

I swear I am not making this up, and that is what she said VERBATIM (I will never forget it.) What a miserable creature!! It was probably the only time in my life I was absolutely speechless (I think I was standing there with my mouth wide open). When I came to my senses, I had to leave the building for fear that I would smack her silly and get arrested by the Italian police.

TGal: This would send me over the edge. It''s one thing to be caddy about a ring, it is another whole issue to wish bad weather on a fellow traveler. Anytime my friends are scheduled to have better weather than I did on a vacation, I always joke about having them take a cardboard cutout of myself for pictures to replace my album with
9.gif
I could never wish a bad experience on anyone. That''s just horrible!!
38.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

REALLY!?!
29.gif
20.gif

Well, this sounds like a woman who definitely is as rude IRL as she could be on the Internet. No ''hiding'' for her....

20.gif

She reminds me of a girl I met in Europe. She had just come from Greece and had terrible weather. I had wonderful weather all throughout Europe and we were both heading toward the same next destination I said, ''Well, you''ll have good weather there for sure, since I seem to be carrying the good weather with me. I hope I get good weather in Greece too, as I am heading there in a few weeks.''

She said, ''Well, I hope you don''t. If I couldn''t have good weather, I don''t want you to have it. No offense.''

What IS the matter with some people!!!
20.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 11:28:27 PM
Author: irenehaze
Yeah, I am slightly worried about what my friends will say when they see my ring. My boyfriend and I picked it out yesterday and it''s...not too subtle. It''s a fairly large blue sapphire with about a carat of diamonds surrounding the gem and on the band. My friends are much more conservative when it comes to jewelry and clothes, so I feel like they''re going to be all, ''...wow, was that really necessary? why not just get a diamond solitaire?'' I wonder if I''m going to be explaining myself for the next few months...
Oh sweetie - do NOT feel any need to explain your PERSONAL taste/desire to ANYONE! Hopefully your friends are true ones and they don''t ask you any questions where you feel the need to defend your own personal choice for an engagement ring! Your ring sounds lovely and if they can''t just accept it and be happy for you then I feel sorry for them.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I seriously don’t think some people have that internal filter that says “this is a good comment…oh wait, don’t say that.”

My boyfriend’s cousin has this obnoxious boyfriend that I cannot stand because he’s one of those people. We were at my boyfriend’s grandmother’s house for her birthday and one of his younger cousins brought a new girl he started dating. She’s a very nice girl but you can tell she was nervous meeting the entire family all in the same night. Anyway, his grandmother had brought in some of her patio chairs for everyone to sit in and there was one in particular that was broken. So this girl goes to sit on it and the obnoxious boyfriend says “wait you can’t sit there, its broken…” ok good so far…oh wait, “that chair was only made for skinny girls.”

Now she’s a tad overweight as am I but dang you don’t yell that across the room so that everyone can hear. I was floored. This poor girl looked like she just wanted the ground to open up and take her away. Idiot.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 11:02:27 AM
Author: fieryred33143
My boyfriend’s cousin has this obnoxious boyfriend that I cannot stand because he’s one of those people. We were at my boyfriend’s grandmother’s house for her birthday and one of his younger cousins brought a new girl he started dating. She’s a very nice girl but you can tell she was nervous meeting the entire family all in the same night. Anyway, his grandmother had brought in some of her patio chairs for everyone to sit in and there was one in particular that was broken. So this girl goes to sit on it and the obnoxious boyfriend says “wait you can’t sit there, its broken…” ok good so far…oh wait, “that chair was only made for skinny girls.”

Now she’s a tad overweight as am I but dang you don’t yell that across the room so that everyone can hear. I was floored. This poor girl looked like she just wanted the ground to open up and take her away. Idiot.
Do people really think these things are OK to say??? Do they say them to be spiteful?? Or are they so used to putting other people down, they don't even realize they do it all the time??

I'm in awe...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 10:39:22 AM
Author: meresal

20.gif

TGal: This would send me over the edge. It''s one thing to be caddy about a ring, it is another whole issue to wish bad weather on a fellow traveler. Anytime my friends are scheduled to have better weather than I did on a vacation, I always joke about having them take a cardboard cutout of myself for pictures to replace my album with
9.gif
I could never wish a bad experience on anyone. That''s just horrible!!
38.gif
Yeah, normally I''m pretty quick on the draw but this one really left me stumped.

I owe the girl though. Another girl had checked into the hostel at the same time I did and witnessed the whole thing. We were both in shock and just stared at each other, as if to say, "Did we really hear that right?" We both left the hostel, discussed how anyone could possibly serious about such a thing and ended up hanging out together for a few days.

She''s still a good friend of mine 5 years later (she lives in Oz), has visited me in L.A and we have daughters 6 weeks apart (not on purpose, obviously.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results