shape
carat
color
clarity

Any advice on this diamond?

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Hi,

First off - thanks for all the wonderful information on this site. I've been driving some brokers and jewelers seriously mad after a couple months of lurking and reading up. I work with numbers all day so it's been very hard to not focus on the angles and proportions at every stone I see. I'm getting close to finally choosing a diamond for the engagement ring and this is one I am considering.

It is eye-clean and scored a 1.4 HCA. Just thought I'd ask for any input! the one thing holding me back is I'll have to have it shipped to me for review before sending it back to get placed in the setting.

Carat: 1.07
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
GIA XXX
Girdle: Thin-Medium (2%)
Fluor. : Faint
Depth%: 60.8
Table%: 55
Crown Ang: 35
Pavil Ang: 40.8
Star Facet: 55
Girdle: 80

Really appreciate any insight!!

Matt

center_stone.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you get an idealscope image? It should be a nice stone but idealscope would prove it. If not, then have it sent to
you and check it out.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
Very nice choice. Do you have a photo of the diamond? Or IS?

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
tyty333 said:
Can you get an idealscope image? It should be a nice stone but idealscope would prove it. If not, then have it sent to
you and check it out.
Thanks! I'm waiting to hear back from the broker on Monday so I'll know then.
metatrix said:
Very nice choice. Do you have a photo of the diamond? Or IS?
No pics or IS yet. Will know more Monday. I just have his word that it's eye clean but I do trust him.

price is $7000.

And thanks for the quick replies. Much appreciated! !

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1403318238|3697726 said:

Thank you for your input. The diamond you linked is also nice!

If I cannot get a picture or IS of the diamond in my first post, I'm leaning towards having it shipped out so I can inspect in person. Based on the specs and opinion that it's eye clean - is that a good move?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HokieRunner|1403320544|3697755 said:

If I cannot get a picture or IS of the diamond in my first post, I'm leaning towards having it shipped out so I can inspect in person. Based on the specs and opinion that it's eye clean - is that a good move?
Sounds like a fair price if there are no durability issue with the feathers near the girdle + eye clean.

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
vtigger86 said:
HokieRunner|1403320544|3697755 said:

Sounds like a fair price if there are no durability issue with the feathers near the girdle + eye clean.
Interesting point. I hadn't even thought about the structural integrity of the girdle with the feathers. All I had thought were 'hey, they can probably tuck those feathers under a prong!'.

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
I'm also curious about the 'additional clouds and pinpoints not shown'. Should this be a red flag? I've read varying opinions on this so not quite sure what to think.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HokieRunner|1403494381|3698970 said:
I'm also curious about the 'additional clouds and pinpoints not shown'. Should this be a red flag? I've read varying opinions on this so not quite sure what to think.

Hi Hokie,

That could be a lovely stone, definitely looks promising. There shouldn't be any worries with the comments above, the time to usually be concerned about clouds is if they are setting the clarity grade, for example, ' clarity grade is based on clouds which are not shown.' A comment mentioning ' clouds not shown' is usually not an issue and is just mentioned for completeness as to plot these clouds would make the clarity plot unnecessarily messy and off putting for the consumer. There shouldn't be an issue with pin points either, with the feathers just get a trusted expert to check they aren't a durability issue ( the thread below might help you), and that the stone is eye clean to your specifications.

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/diamond_feather_inclusions_durability_risk

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Great link, Lorelei! Quite informative and easy to digest. I'll be sure to link to that in the future. 8-)

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Lorelei said:
HokieRunner|1403494381|3698970 said:

Hi Hokie,

That could be a lovely stone, definitely looks promising. There shouldn't be any worries with the comments above, the time to usually be concerned about clouds is if they are setting the clarity grade, for example, ' clarity grade is based on clouds which are not shown.' A comment mentioning ' clouds not shown' is usually not an issue and is just mentioned for completeness as to plot these clouds would make the clarity plot unnecessarily messy and off putting for the consumer. There shouldn't be an issue with pin points either, with the feathers just get a trusted expert to check they aren't a durability issue ( the thread below might help you), and that the stone is eye clean to your specifications.

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/diamond_feather_inclusions_durability_risk

Thank you for the great link and clarification on clouds and pinpoints. I'll definitely have an expert look at it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SirGuy|1403523963|3699094 said:
Great link, Lorelei! Quite informative and easy to digest. I'll be sure to link to that in the future. 8-)

HokieRunner|1403494381|3698970 wrote:

Thank you for the great link and clarification on clouds and pinpoints. I'll definitely have an expert look at it.

*blush* :oops: thanks chaps!!
bat%20eyes3.gif

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Well...choices choices...the first stone is still available and I have another option as well. I have word that this one is eye-clean as well. Scored a .7 HCA - 4x excellent. Thoughts between the 2?! I'm leaning towards the G/SI1 now even with the marks under the table. The cutter I'm speaking with said even though it looks busy, the diamond is, in fact, eye clean.

Thanks again!

1st option:

center_stone.png

2nd option:

g_si1.png

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Pls disregard the prior post. Decided to go with the 1st choice after verifying it's eye clean and having the girdle and feather reviewed for potential issues. Going to have it in hand later this week so I can review in person and get a second opinion.

I'll see if I can get a decent pic or two.

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Diamond came in yesterday. It's 100% eyeclean. In fact, I had a tricky time spotting the feather (using a 10x loupe) even though I had the report.

I took it to a local jeweler who checked it under 40x and showed me the GIA inscription on the girdle. It's incredibly brilliant and has a ton of fire. I'm not sure where I can find or even get an idealscope or light performance reading or if it's really worth it?

I can see the hearts and arrows to some degree with a homemade viewer but it's really difficult to get it lined up perfectly without any of the proper tools. all the online pictures make it look so easy.....

Here are the best pics I was able to take. please let me know any thoughts or suggestions, thanks!

diamond_48.jpg

_19540.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Hokie,

Unfortunately, I can't tell anything from your photos but diamonds are notoriously tricky to photograph! That you love it and it performs well definitely means it's worth shortlisting for potential purchase. If you want a ' true' h&a diamond then you might be best sticking with a branded h&a precision cut stone with all the supporting images but if you just want to see whether this diamond displays a reasonable h&a pattern out of interest, then that's absolutely fine. Sounds like you are getting close to making a decision, very exciting!

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Lorelei|1403788444|3701404 said:
Hi Hokie,

Unfortunately, I can't tell anything from your photos but diamonds are notoriously tricky to photograph! That you love it and it performs well definitely means it's worth shortlisting for potential purchase. If you want a ' true' h&a diamond then you might be best sticking with a branded h&a precision cut stone with all the supporting images but if you just want to see whether this diamond displays a reasonable h&a pattern out of interest, then that's absolutely fine. Sounds like you are getting close to making a decision, very exciting!

Thanks Lorelei! The hearts and arrows are not a necessity. Realistically I'm not sure how visible they are without the special viewer. My goal is a high performing diamond so my bigger concern is seeing if I can find someone with a light scope.

I think Jared has them in their stores so I'm going to call around and see if they'd be willing to scope an outside stone. The diamond definitely blows away everything else I've seen in the retail stores both in appearance and price.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HokieRunner|1403791626|3701423 said:
Lorelei|1403788444|3701404 said:
Hi Hokie,

Thanks Lorelei! The hearts and arrows are not a necessity. Realistically I'm not sure how visible they are without the special viewer. My goal is a high performing diamond so my bigger concern is seeing if I can find someone with a light scope.

I think Jared has them in their stores so I'm going to call around and see if they'd be willing to scope an outside stone. The diamond definitely blows away everything else I've seen in the retail stores both in appearance and price.

If you can't find anyone with an IS, you could order your own for $25 and then you have it handy for future purchases.... :tongue:

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=2&ShowAdd=Y

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Wow. Thanks for the link!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HokieRunner|1403794290|3701454 said:
Wow. Thanks for the link!

You are more than welcome Hokie, you will have some fun with that... ;))

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
I called the local Jareds and they said they'd be happy to take a look at it with me, put it on the gemscope, light scope, weigh it, etc.

So I should have all the info I need later tonight.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HokieRunner|1403795028|3701464 said:
I called the local Jareds and they said they'd be happy to take a look at it with me, put it on the gemscope, light scope, weigh it, etc.

It would be preferable to get this info from an independent appraiser - one who doesn't sell diamonds- in case of bias from any seller of jewellery inspecting this stone for you, just bear that in mind...

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Lorelei said:
HokieRunner|1403795028|3701464 said:

It would be preferable to get this info from an independent appraiser - one who doesn't sell diamonds- in case of bias from any seller of jewellery inspecting this stone for you, just bear that in mind...
Thanks - I definitely agree with you. I have my own idealscope arriving Monday and I'll go from there. Wasn't terribly impressed with the equipment they had at Jareds but the folks who examined it were really impressed and couldn't believe it was a H/SI1.

Obviously subjective commentary so I'll post up if I decide to get an appraisal.

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Yet another update...

Weekend came and went along with the old setting. My girlfriend decided the old setting was going to be too impractical for her active lifestyle and I, conveniently, suggested she take a gander at briangavin.com....as my favorite setting was on that site. After an hour of sorting through, she chose the classic truth sleek micro pave. **in the interest of full disclosure, she did visit a good number of other sites but kept coming back to the Truth Micro Pave.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/classic-truth-sleek-micro-pave-platinum-5542p

Her ring size is 4.5 so I think she'll be happier with the thinner band on that setting.

Now about the stone...obviously if I'm getting a BG setting, it would be easiest to get a BG diamond. I already had a nagging feeling about the other diamond I have in hand and as beautiful as it is, it just didn't feel like the one. Funny maybe, but no other way to describe it. Just a gut feeling.

So I'll be returning that tomorrow and re-starting my diamond search. Obviously with a much narrower playing field though! I've already been speaking with Catherine at BG for a couple weeks and so far totally impressed with the customer service.

Hopefully I can post up soon with another diamond or two when I get them narrowed down.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
That's a very pretty setting. I love the graduation of the stones in the shank.

Sorry to hear the stone didn't feel right, but kudos for acknowledging that feeling being a big part of the purchase. The numbers can be right, but if it doesn't make your heart sing to look at it, then it might not be "the one."

Best of luck with your continued search and let us know how that is going! :wavey:

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
SirGuy|1404146541|3703793 said:

Sorry to hear the stone didn't feel right, but kudos for acknowledging that feeling being a big part of the purchase. The numbers can be right, but if it doesn't make your heart sing to look at it, then it might not be "the one."

Best of luck with your continued search and let us know how that is going! :wavey:

Thank you! Certainly appreciate the feedback!

I'm wittling down the choices with some stones now...just wondering thoughts on these following 2. Most of all, how much of a difference can I really expect to see between them?

Choice A is top row...Choice B is lower row...they're near identical stones in the stats category with angles/%'s etc.

_19680.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of those I think I'd go for the top one - more red light return on the computer generated image!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HokieRunner|1404159447|3703943 said:

I'm wittling down the choices with some stones now...just wondering thoughts on these following 2. Most of all, how much of a difference can I really expect to see between them?

Choice A is top row...Choice B is lower row...they're near identical stones in the stats category with angles/%'s etc.

Tough call....Ask the vendor to discuss each with you and the various performance nuances, they should both be stunning diamonds!

Good for you for returning the other one, it happens and it's best to get it over with if your gut isn't on board rather than settle, it's too much money at stake to feel you haven't got it quite right.

HokieRunner

Rough_Rock
Lorelei|1404227585|3704484 said:
HokieRunner|1404159447|3703943 said:

Tough call....Ask the vendor to discuss each with you and the various performance nuances, they should both be stunning diamonds!

Good for you for returning the other one, it happens and it's best to get it over with if your gut isn't on board rather than settle, it's too much money at stake to feel you haven't got it quite right.

Well, I went with Choice A after talking it over with the vendor and I am beyond pleased. In fact, I'm downright ecstatic! It's been a long few months of learning and searching and learning some more but this choice felt right and I know I can definitely be happy with the ring I'll be giving for a lifetime.

Major thanks for all the helpful information. I ended up spending the same as I would have for a much lower quality/cut diamond in the local B&M stores all my friends have gone to. I'm shipping out the loose diamond today for the return....

So now it's just a long 1 month wait until the finished ring will arrive. Gonna be one long month but I'll be sure to post up the final product once it arrives!

Huge thanks again for a wonderful forum and community of folks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results