shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Store Ruby Bargain?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Spinel was my gut when I first saw it. It just has that spinel dispersion look.
Oh, I love a mystery! Let us know!

lapin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Lapin, did you buy it? Did you have it tested? Longing to learn what it is!

UPDATE and story time!

I thought it had been snatched up when it turns out, my lovely partner had gotten it for my November birthday as a surprise. No cert yet, but we had it appraised by a respected GG and got a second opinion from a dealer and it's a genuine, natural ruby, and was appraised as eye clean!! (GIA still on my to do, don't worry) The setting alone appraised for the asked price, so I (and partner) breathed a deep sigh of relief.

Some interesting things about it, and a case study in ruby "color theory" and why this thing was tricky to judge. It's overall red, but it has purple, orange, and brown modifiers unevenly distributed through the stone. The red/purply zones are actually concentrated in the crown of the ruby, but the orange/brown is deeper within through to the bottom. So in its setting, it faces up very evenly red, but you get all sorts of weird color impressions when viewing from the side, and from the bottom the orange tone is very apparent. Additionally, because the stone is so clean, and because of its nice mixed cushion cut, the play of light is very nice and does wonders to lighten up the dark tone. Whoever chose and cut this stone in its lifetime did a great job maximizing its beauty, and is a great example of how stones with traditionally negative aspects can be made to look their best!

2023-11-28 12_14_32.922-0600.jpg
2023-11-29 12_21_48.734-0600.jpg

Hand pics! I really enjoy her! She's a moody deep red and surprisingly doesn't black out often, helped by all that platinum no doubt!

2023-11-29 12_23_31.063-0600.jpg

For funsies, I put it next to a no-heat Burmese ruby with a dark-ish tone currently in the gallery I work at, and you really do see a major difference in even-ness of hue and tone, but overall, I haven't taken her off yet, and the mystery is solved! :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
a great happy ending to wake up to this morning
and well done hubby

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
She is perfectly charming! So is your partner.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So in its setting, it faces up very evenly red, but you get all sorts of weird color impressions when viewing from the side...

I guess some of that could corundum dichroism -- but the dichroic colors are typically purplish-red vs. orangey-red in ruby.

Pretty ring for sure and a nice find! And convenient to have all those comparators close at hand!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have read the beginning and the end of your story, and I love it’s happy end! Congrats on your new ring, it’s beautiful, and suits your hand very well!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a journey :)

I really enjoy her!
And this is what it’s all about - at the end of the journey.
Enjoy it well- It’s beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results