shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique cut moissanite thread

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like I haven't seen any good looking (based on photo / video) pear, oval, marquise etc. in moissanite. I don't know if they just haven't figured out how to cut it well yet or what. I wonder if one of these companies could do something like an "oval brilliant" similar to what august vintage is working on. there is nowhere to see moissanite that i know of in my area so it's a leap of faith for me with so-so results so far....
I would look at the marquise and pear at the bottom of the Starsgem thread on the last page. They have gotten better from a year ago but they are probably not at the level of an AV cut, although I don’t think he has done those shapes in moissanite yet.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
My transitional/OEC moissy 3 stone with 8.5mm center and 5mm sides. I got it from CvB.

20171016_110004.jpg
27043267_718016918404919_2004094234_n.jpg 20171016_103051.jpg

That 3 stone is beautiful! As an aside though. Do you happen to know where the velvet box came from?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should I take a chance on this yellow color from Mona in a moval, or ask for G/H (which I hope will be I/J)?

Screenshot_20190513-183001_Gallery.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should I take a chance on this yellow color from Mona in a moval, or ask for G/H (which I hope will be I/J)?

Screenshot_20190513-183001_Gallery.jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty but can she send you video, the colored ones can have weird looking fire from what I've seen, or none at all. I'm hoping for a nice brownish pink color eventually. :)

BMI

Shiny_Rock
The color looks really pretty in the pictures but I agree that asking for a video is a good idea. I would also want to know if the yellow stones are cut from 4H or 6H moissanite. As I'm sure you already know, 6H moissanite can have a greenish tint and it was very common in the yellow color stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color looks really pretty in the pictures but I agree that asking for a video is a good idea. I would also want to know if the yellow stones are cut from 4H or 6H moissanite. As I'm sure you already know, 6H moissanite can have a greenish tint and it was very common in the yellow color stones.
I agree and asked for a video. We will see!

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
What are the feelings on Starsgem vs Tianyu for OECs these days? I want to perhaps get an OEC 3-stone from one of them, but I’m torn on which one. I have seen the comparisons of their stones, and I have a Tianyu OEC (which I love), but Starsgem has been doing really good work lately, and I wonder if their settings aren’t a little more refined.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I just ordered 2 antique cuts from starsgem, fingers crossed!! Ordered a moval and elongated old mine cut.
Can’t wait to see :kiss2: I’ve been debating those too... or hoping one shows up on LT or DB

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see :kiss2: I’ve been debating those too... or hoping one shows up on LT or DB
I'll definitely share pics, and if I end up not keeping either I'll let you know!

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
I feel like I haven't seen any good looking (based on photo / video) pear, oval, marquise etc. in moissanite. I don't know if they just haven't figured out how to cut it well yet or what. I wonder if one of these companies could do something like an "oval brilliant" similar to what august vintage is working on. there is nowhere to see moissanite that i know of in my area so it's a leap of faith for me with so-so results so far....
I saw an oval C&C F1 2 weeks ago and it was awesome. It's the reason I've decided to purchase an oval moissanite for my E ring. However, I'm considering AV or C&C. Have you considered ordering a C&C F1?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw an oval C&C F1 2 weeks ago and it was awesome. It's the reason I've decided to purchase an oval moissanite for my E ring. However, I'm considering AV or C&C. Have you considered ordering a C&C F1?

Not for oval.. I am in the process or ordering a specialty cut from one of the overseas vendors but it is a rectangular stone. If i get another moissy in the future an antique cushion 3 stone would be next but I'm also wanting to wait and see what happens with pricing of lab diamonds. :)

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
I also would prefer the yellow tint (obviously I'd prefer champagne, but she don't have that). So I'm hoping color won't be an issue for me.
When I was diamond shopping I prefered the GIA G colour oval to the F colour. G felt warmer and I imagine in a platinum setting it would be a tad whiter. I've decided to go with moissanites I saw the C&C F1 and was very happy with it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So that's similar to an elongated oval?
Yes, but somewhat sharper at the ends like a marquise. you can look up pics to see what I mean, it's a little hard to describe

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, but somewhat sharper at the ends like a marquise. you can look up pics to see what I mean, it's a little hard to describe
I think oval with pointy ends is a good description!

Last edited:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I think of movals more as a marquise with rounded ends, lol. But that more accurately describes the shape, to me.

That said I've never seen a moissanite oval I've liked.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you think of them?
love them both!!!! The cutting was top notch and the light/medium champagne color was great. I'm selling the ACC because I likely won't set it, but zero complaints about the cut at all.

@anangel I was just looking back on this thread and realized you asked about mine showing up on LT. I just posted the ACC because I realized I'm unlikely to set it. Just FYI!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results