shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique cushion cut pricing

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

Can someone please help me understand/confirm why antique cushion cut prices seem to be less expensive than other diamonds of the same size? I feel like this is a true dummy newbie question but a 3 ct antique cushion cut seems to be much more affordable than a modern cushion or an emerald cut etc.

Also perhaps the question I need to ask is what cut (aside from round brilliant or the pear) gives you the most finger coverage (or has the best spread) at the best price since I seem to appreciate the finger coverage diamond in a simple setting?

Thanks in advance!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I, too, have noticed that antique diamonds in general are less pricey than modern cuts. I have a few theories. First, many of these diamonds are lower in color, thus making them less costly. Second, these diamonds have been owned and loved before, and estate items are generally cheaper than brand new. Third, I think for a long time these diamonds were considered less desirable because they are "old" and the cut was just not well known, creating a low demand. I think this is changing because many people are becoming interested in antique diamonds, so you may find the price gap will continue to close between antique and modern cuts.

In regards to face-up size, cushions tend to be smaller. I always find ovals to offer the largest face-up size for the price, but I think marquise and pears offer similar looks. When you are looking for a diamond, make sure to look at the MM size and not just the carat weight. Stones can face up small or large for their carat weight depending on the cut.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Edited: google carat vs face-up size. There are great graphs that illustrate the relationship between face-up size and carat. Only princess and asscher cuts face-up smaller than cushions.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Actual antique cushions, not modern reproductions of, (of a decent cut quality and in colorless range HIJ) are actually more expensive than modern cushions due to rarity. Many higher color antique cushions were recut. I took me 5 years (after some honing of my tastes) to find my holy grail antique cushion in the colorless range that has the most amazing faceting. There are a lot off rather rustic (just not my taste) and just plain ugly antique cushions out there too.

Ovals and marquise have a rather large face-up for the carat weight and same with hearts.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life said:
Actual antique cushions, not modern reproductions of, (of a decent cut quality and in colorless range HIJ) are actually more expensive than modern cushions due to rarity. Many higher color antique cushions were recut. I took me 5 years (after some honing of my tastes) to find my holy grail antique cushion in the colorless range that has the most amazing faceting. There are a lot off rather rustic (just not my taste) and just plain ugly antique cushions out there too.

Ovals and marquise have a rather large face-up for the carat weight and same with hearts.

H, I, J are not in the colourless range, they are in the near-colourless range. Only D, E, F are in the colourless range.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Oops my mis-type haha was on my phone.

Correction: near colorless

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results