shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Pad Thread - E/Ring

JS5

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

A little background, My partner was adamant she didn’t want the usual diamond ring and was happy with something else like morganite. This led me onto suggesting a pad a couple years ago and she loves them (my fault!!). Since then I haven’t managed to secure anything having looked casually on and off but hoping to get this done soon now.

Regarding ring design, she has not had much input and happy for me to pick something out but doesn’t want halo or anything too cluttered in design. I’m leaning towards a simple, classic band gold/rose gold possibly pave.

In an ideal world I would like a pink-orange sunset 2ct+ Sri Lankan pad all in budget but know this will be very difficult with limited options in the UK leaving me sourcing online only. The good news is my partner is not too fussy on colour but I want to do the best I can within means.

I came across abit of a wild card yesterday significantly cheaper due to paler less saturated colour unlike others I have been looking at and would like to know your thoughts.

I get this would not be classed as a pad my most here but wanted your thoughts on cut and cost as I quite like the elongated shape and feel it would suit a simple narrow band with my partners slim finger profile. The stone is 2.55ct, unheated and certified by independent gia gemologist, RGL labelled as a pad. Octagonal/Emerald & Mixed Cut

C6FD355E-6CF0-4357-B234-02FC65355086.jpeg D1A5AD4A-100A-4150-8F51-77CD6E877969.jpeg DD379940-E73E-44AF-8C49-2D554D0275C9.jpeg

Last edited:

JS5

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

A little background, My partner was adamant she didn’t want the usual diamond ring and was happy with something else like morganite. This led me onto suggesting a pad a couple years ago and she loves them (my fault!!). Since then I haven’t managed to secure anything having looked casually on and off but hoping to get this done soon now.

Regarding ring design, she has not had much input and happy for me to pick something out but doesn’t want halo or anything too cluttered in design.

In an ideal world I would like a pink-orange pastel sunset style 2ct+ Sri Lankan pad all in budget but know this will be very difficult with limited options in the UK leaving me sourcing online only. The good news is my partner is not too fussy on colour but I want to do the best I can within means.

I came across abit of a wild card yesterday significantly cheaper due to paler less saturated colour unlike others I have been looking at and would like to know your thoughts.

I get this would not be classed as a pad my most here but wanted your thoughts on cut and cost as I quite like the elongated shape and feel it would suit my partners slim finger profile. The stone is 2.55ct, unheated and certified by independent gia gemologist, RGL labelled as a pad. Octagonal/Emerald & Mixed Cut

C6FD355E-6CF0-4357-B234-02FC65355086.jpeg D1A5AD4A-100A-4150-8F51-77CD6E877969.jpeg DD379940-E73E-44AF-8C49-2D554D0275C9.jpeg
Hi all,

Regarding ring design, she has not had much input and happy for me to pick something out but doesn’t want halo or anything too cluttered in design.

In an ideal world I would like a pink-orange pastel sunset style 2ct+ Sri Lankan pad all in budget but know this will be very difficult with limited options in the UK leaving me sourcing online only. The good news is my partner is not too fussy on colour but I want to do the best I can within means.

I get this would not be classed as a pad my most here but wanted your thoughts on cut and cost as I quite like the elongated shape and feel it would suit my partners slim finger profile. The stone is 2.55ct, unheated and certified by independent gia gemologist, RGL labelled as a pad. Octagonal/Emerald & Mixed Cut

A few more. Dims are 9.03 x 5.82 x 4.45 (mm). I’m out of my depth here and would appreciate any input at all as simple it may be. Thank-you.

C6048E83-4387-4492-805B-600CA0E192F3.jpeg DE7D1A48-18D6-4441-8CE3-B0869329D46B.jpeg F3DB1A46-A27E-44A2-924F-A1EE12583D32.jpeg

Last edited:

JS5

Rough_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think any of these are actually pads. They look like light pink sapphires, but definitely not pad. What is your budget?

The other issue with this stone is that is has a window (the see through part in the middle). I think you can find something better. Plus, if you partner wants a pad, this wont fit the bill

JS5

Rough_Rock
I dont think any of these are actually pads. They look like light pink sapphires, but definitely not pad. What is your budget?

The other issue with this stone is that is has a window (the see through part in the middle). I think you can find something better. Plus, if you partner wants a pad, this wont fit the bill
Hi these are all photos and videos of the same stone in different lighting. Yes I agree certificates just seem to be marking everything as pads including those at other end of spectrum with more brown.

Circa 4-5k USD for the stone and setting. This one is well under budget.

Last edited:

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
I agree that there appears to be a window in the centre, which is how it goes dark in the third photo and first video ("Pad 2) when backed by the fingers. Personally I don't mind windows on older gems in original antique settings, but if I'm buying a new loose gemstone, it would make me hesitate unless it's a great bargain and I have a particular setting design in mind for it.

I think it's a sweet subtle pink colour quite suitable for an e-ring. However it does depend on what she likes! Does she lean more towards peachy tones or is she ok with cool tone pink as well?

Not an expert on prices so I hope other pricescopers will chime in on this.

Reactions: JS5

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi these are all photos and videos of the same stone in different lighting. Yes I agree certificates just seem to be marking everything as pads including those at other end of spectrum with more brown.

Circa 4-5k USD for the stone and setting. This one is well under budget.

I just don't think this is a great stone (to be honest). True pads are $$, so it's highly unlikely you will find a 2ct+ one within budget (including setting).

Gemfix is highly reputable and has pads within your budget (But they aren't 2ct--the ones that are command a higher price).

As an example, I love this one: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-13-533 and this one: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-13-551

Gemfix also has pink sapphires that aren't "pads" and are more budget friendly.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Am I right in reading your post that your honey is really just wanting a pretty pinkish stone and isn't married to the idea that an expensive lab labeled it a "Pad"? Because if not, the stone you shared is a lovely light pink, but not pad. If I am right, then YAY because you can find pretty pinkish sapphires with much better cuts than the one you shared. Another consideration you may not have thought about is without a halo or any diamonds "cluttering" the sapphire, certain shades may disappear on her hand. Her skin tone plays a huge role in what saturation I would recommend.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another consideration you may not have thought about is without a halo or any diamonds "cluttering" the sapphire, certain shades may disappear on her hand. Her skin tone plays a huge role in what saturation I would recommend.

I was just coming to say the same. Judging by this stone, you are looking for blush pink sapphires. Just make sure they are to her liking on her hand.

About the stone you are showing: where it is not windowed, it is lovely with great sparkle and color. However, it has a window, seems to have an eye visible inclusion (unless that's dust specks?) on the table in the windowed area, and is spendy for what it is. I believe you can do better. But please check that this lovely subtle color will be pleasing to her on her hand.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
If you want kind of one stop shopping...
Has many examples, both loose stones and finished rings! They have most types, barring the neon pads. The only downside is they tend to be native cut.
They also have spinels, my personal favorite.
Gemfix is also great with much better cuts.

Last edited:

JS5

Rough_Rock
I am no expert but the window would bother me and as you say its not very saturated. If you can spend 4-5K I would spent it on a better cut and deeper color

I agree, upon further consideration I have decided to utilise more of my budget. I will update the seller and see what else I can find..

I agree that there appears to be a window in the centre, which is how it goes dark in the third photo and first video ("Pad 2) when backed by the fingers. Personally I don't mind windows on older gems in original antique settings, but if I'm buying a new loose gemstone, it would make me hesitate unless it's a great bargain and I have a particular setting design in mind for it.

I think it's a sweet subtle pink colour quite suitable for an e-ring. However it does depend on what she likes! Does she lean more towards peachy tones or is she ok with cool tone pink as well?

Not an expert on prices so I hope other pricescopers will chime in on this.

Thank-you for pointing out the window. I was unaware of this term and will look out for them in future options. This one was on sale for 2400USD but although she has not said I think she will prefer a more peachy stone (so would I) as I was originally looking for so will go back to the drawing board. If you see anything come up with good cut and clarity quality please forward.

I just don't think this is a great stone (to be honest). True pads are $$, so it's highly unlikely you will find a 2ct+ one within budget (including setting).

Gemfix is highly reputable and has pads within your budget (But they aren't 2ct--the ones that are command a higher price).

As an example, I love this one: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-13-533 and this one: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-13-551

Gemfix also has pink sapphires that aren't "pads" and are more budget friendly.

Yes unfortunately I think I am priced out of what I would like so will have to make a sacrifice somewhere which will either be colour or weight. An excellent cut and good clarity is important for me as a bit of a perfectionist.

Some of the pads look great, a lot of 'sparkles' but I do feel they are overpriced somewhat, a few of them have been on market over a year going by the date of YouTube vids. I would have contacted them to see if negotiable but but they do not ship high value ones over 1k to UK which is a let down.. either way a great source to crosscheck against with some fine examples.

JS5

Rough_Rock
Am I right in reading your post that your honey is really just wanting a pretty pinkish stone and isn't married to the idea that an expensive lab labeled it a "Pad"? Because if not, the stone you shared is a lovely light pink, but not pad. If I am right, then YAY because you can find pretty pinkish sapphires with much better cuts than the one you shared. Another consideration you may not have thought about is without a halo or any diamonds "cluttering" the sapphire, certain shades may disappear on her hand. Her skin tone plays a huge role in what saturation I would recommend.

Yes, honey just wants a ring on it! :lol: Thank-you, so it isn't all bad!! I think that particular muted pink could've worked with a narrow gold band but as others have mentioned the cut isn't the best and there is a big window. A little more saturation would be great.

I will go back to the drawing board and see what I can find, I think she would prefer bit more pad like colour in honesty, although I'm sure she will be happy either way if you know what I mean. I will attach a photo of her hand to help identify skin tone. As she has slim fingers I thought a longer oval shape or emerald style would compliment. Let me know if you have any additional thoughts.

IMG_4856.jpg

Last edited:

JS5

Rough_Rock
I was just coming to say the same. Judging by this stone, you are looking for blush pink sapphires. Just make sure they are to her liking on her hand.

About the stone you are showing: where it is not windowed, it is lovely with great sparkle and color. However, it has a window, seems to have an eye visible inclusion (unless that's dust specks?) on the table in the windowed area, and is spendy for what it is. I believe you can do better. But please check that this lovely subtle color will be pleasing to her on her hand.

I would prefer more sunset style pad colour but they are hard to find and want to get a move on hence I was considering other options. I want the quality of cut to be excellent though so will avoid this as it has a large 'window' as pointed out by yourself and others. I have attached a shot of her hand, do you have any thoughts on what colour/style would compliment? Thanks

JS5

Rough_Rock
If you want kind of one stop shopping...
Has many examples, both loose stones and finished rings! They have most types, barring the neon pads. The only downside is they tend to be native cut.
They also have spinels, my personal favorite.
Gemfix is also great with much better cuts.

Much appreciated, I will check these out, plenty to consider. I have had a look at Gemfix and love the cuts but they do not deliver to UK.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock

If I had your budget and your specifications I would gte this - 2 carat, certified, unheated, elongated shape, peach, and currently a holiday discount on this website.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I had your budget and your specifications I would gte this - 2 carat, certified, unheated, elongated shape, peach, and currently a holiday discount on this website.

I would ask for a video of this one (and any other you like on their website). Some are nice, but others are poorly cut so I would want to make sure you are getting a well cut and lively stone.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
I would ask for a video of this one (and any other you like on their website). Some are nice, but others are poorly cut so I would want to make sure you are getting a well cut and lively stone.

Yes I did think it was odd that there was no video - definitely get a video before spending $4,000!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Just out of curiousity. How saturated/vivid are you looking for? It might help us to help you look if we can get a more specific hue from you, like a 'dream' picture off of Google that is either a stone or some object with the color you're after.
Just an example of a spinel I have that's a more sunsety saturated pink leaning...

PS: Jupiter Gem does have a Youtube channel you can click from their website that showcases the gems they sell.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
video here: This a spinel ring but it's really pretty and decent sized.
This lady has an Etsy page.

This could work.

How do you feel about buying off of Instagram?

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JS5
This is totally left field.
It’s not pastel and it’s a spinel. And not a budget stone nor cheap.
if you are open to the idea -
but it’s a European based company, I’ve done business with them before, and was completely satisfied with customer service. They routinely offer 33% off...........doesn’t hurt to ask...

5D5F2889-983E-46E3-B1D7-715543A6AFBC.jpeg
Just suggesting this as a possible alternative to a pink sapphire that maybe turns peachy in a particular light. Or a peachy sapphire that’s not overly brown, and might show some pink in a certain light. Wanting no window really narrows what’s out there in your stated size and price range.

my peach sapphire only shows pink zones/areas in certain lighting. Other times it’s straight peach or more salmon/copper. Liking the stone in all or most environments is the hardest part, if on a budget. Wah!!! :lol:

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marc has this at Africa gems:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is 2.55ct, unheated and certified by independent gia gemologist, RGL labelled as a pad

I hate to be "that person" but this is super important if some day you need to insure the stone because it gets lost.

Pad designation should always come from an Independent Laboratory that issues a report on the stone. They will never "certify" a stone. This is also where a basic certificate from a gemologist, and a report from a reputable independent lab differ.

Also, where pads can cost a lot of money, this is also where you want to validate where your money was spent.

Pad designation coming from other parities area really not worth worth the paper its written on.

JS5

Rough_Rock

I would ask for a video of this one (and any other you like on their website). Some are nice, but others are poorly cut so I would want to make sure you are getting a well cut and lively stone

I enquired on the one suggested at Jupiter Gem and have had a response.. it is still available.
Here are some further vids and details.

Rotating, under natural light -

Rotating, under incandescent light -

On hand under natural light -

Described as "Very eye clean, under 10x magnification VVS clarity. Excellent cut, good luster"

Looks good to me? is this the one?

Last edited:

JS5

Rough_Rock
video here: This a spinel ring but it's really pretty and decent sized.
This lady has an Etsy page.

This could work.

How do you feel about buying off of Instagram?

I am happy to source from legitimate instagram users and have enquired with some previously. Some of the better stones seem to be shifting quick on there as opposed to usual retail websites!

@JS5
This is totally left field.
It’s not pastel and it’s a spinel. And not a budget stone nor cheap.
if you are open to the idea -
but it’s a European based company, I’ve done business with them before, and was completely satisfied with customer service. They routinely offer 33% off...........doesn’t hurt to ask...

5D5F2889-983E-46E3-B1D7-715543A6AFBC.jpeg
Just suggesting this as a possible alternative to a pink sapphire that maybe turns peachy in a particular light. Or a peachy sapphire that’s not overly brown, and might show some pink in a certain light. Wanting no window really narrows what’s out there in your stated size and price range.

my peach sapphire only shows pink zones/areas in certain lighting. Other times it’s straight peach or more salmon/copper. Liking the stone in all or most environments is the hardest part, if on a budget. Wah!!! :lol:

Thank-you for all suggestions from everyone above regarding Spinel and alternative colour sapphires. You have given me plenty to think about and consider.

I have decided for now I would like to stay within the padparadscha sapphire category and hopefully with some assistance I can pick something out of good quality, lower ct if need be.

I hate to be "that person" but this is super important if some day you need to insure the stone because it gets lost.

Pad designation should always come from an Independent Laboratory that issues a report on the stone. They will never "certify" a stone. This is also where a basic certificate from a gemologist, and a report from a reputable independent lab differ.

Also, where pads can cost a lot of money, this is also where you want to validate where your money was spent.

Pad designation coming from other parities area really not worth worth the paper its written on.

Fantastic info and these details are important to me.. going by previous threads, it seems GRS, Lotus and AIGS are some of the recommended bodies to look out for.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enquired on the one suggested at Jupiter Gem and have had a response.. it is still available.

Described as "Very eye clean, under 10x magnification VVS clarity. Excellent cut, good luster"

I’ve looked at this one many times :)
It seems (in the listing photos) to have the separate pink and orange that I like to see.
im not quite sure what parameters they are using for excellent cut tho. The crown looks like it may be greater mass than the pavilion?. There’s a window and a greater tilt window. Is the color that good outside of the window to justify the price? I would be very curious to see in person.
The one I returned to them had a almost complete % tilt window and I couldn’t get past it. There’s a gif of that and my review of the stone floating around here somewhere.
I hate to say it, because I didn’t enjoy hearing it either. To know what you like/dislike/enjoy/can deal with - you are going to have to see a few in person. The colors are very difficult to photo to what the eye sees- and on top of that - seeing what it does in your environmental lighting, low light, indirect light, and direct light
And seeing if you like it in all of those or some. Too much money (for me) to not like what I see myself, instead of someone else telling me it’s a good one and ‘worth it’. (What I want to see in a Pad isn’t necessarily what someone else enjoys seeing)

Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock

This one is the perfect Pad color to me (obviously very personalized) . I think this would be a great color or your honey's skintone too. It has a native cut which I do not mind at all, though others here have more refined taste and may be turned off by it. I happen to love each of my gem's "beauty marks" and what makes them unique. I know each of my avatar sapphire's inclusions and my diamond's extra facet. No one could ever switch them on me and I not know. Like a mama knows her babies:lol:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

I actually love the color and the old fashioned super puffy crown on this one, but @Rfisher is definitely right that it has to be seen in the hand to know. It could present differently. I also happen to love the quirks on colored stones and most of the time I prefer good native cuts like @Mrs_Strizzle to the more perfect sterility of a precision cut. It depends on the stone. It's certainly promising! Also, you can make always negotiate a little on their stones and rings if you decide to jump with them.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! The 25% off sale they have now is a starting point to ‘make an offer’?
It’s not too far off of per carat price from the one I tried from them.
If you try out the 2.02 I hope it holds color better in random lighting than the one I tried, it also was an AIGS unheated Pink-Orange. It was quite lovely at times, but then not just desaturated often times- but went much like a dilute andalusite.
I’m not to picky on native cuts nor windows.
Here listing photo
E1125C36-9BC7-4A32-9602-2C359510E7D4.jpeg
and here was that almost complete tilt window
C76BA538-D0BA-4125-911E-57B853079327.gif
I don’t wish to dissuade you
Nor think I know how the 2.02 might behave. Just sharing an experience.
Jupiter Gem was nice to deal with, also.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results