carat
color
clarity

Another loose diamond I like: O/P emerald

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:25:59 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
ccl- to address a few points you raise- the micro-close up photography is quite good at illustrating imperfection- for this I am glad.I truly would not want someone to buy a diamond with a booger if that''s not what they had in mind. Same holds true for cut.

For this stone we agree you provided sufficient images,

1) The overhead downward lighting shot better for showing one static view of Virtual Facets
2) Your usual back/side lit shot only good for viewing facets and inclusions and which tell us almost nothing about its light return or virtual facets under usual wearer conditions.

I think what is often the case here, is that there''s one very pervasive mindset on cut.
Since I''m looking at the diamond, it''s kind of funny to hear people make assumptions about obstruction or table size.

Prove me wrong, please provide a .srn file please attach to the thread. You can disprove my flat crown and obstruction issues with a .srn file should take you only a few minutes.
I''ll gladly apologize and amend my opinion in this thread if I''m wrong.

Attach it on your website or in this thread so myself and others can learn why you disagree so much.
Still waiting for the .srn on the Daussi Cushions https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aset-of-a-daussi.143296/page-3 how long is a few days afterall you did say getting one was no problem whatsoever?

I try hard to show the diamonds in a way that''s realistic as possible- keeping in mind that any video or photographic representation has limitations.

You did just fine with this stone you just didn''t like the conclusions we have drawn from them and want to make it clear why your opinion should be better than ours.
Funny I don''t see too many other vendors putting down multiple consumer opinions. It sure appears a lot like used car salesmanship.

You bring up price:
It''s not easy to find this type of stone when you need it. I find that in buying, cheapest is not what I''m looking for.

Its not what I would look for either but we have already established this isn''t exactly a modern EC cut which would command a premium due to its cut.
Seeing as I see this one as average the average prices for 1.25 - 1.5 carat ECs in K - V seem to be cheaper than this one so I see no reason why this OP shouldn''t check prices and alternatives from other vendors. Customer choice is healthy you never know, given all the positive feedback maybe they come back to this one anyway.

I like exceptional things- often times the nicest stone in the parcel is worth 30% more than the last stone. Just like any brand, a selective dealer, can offer clients a special item- reasonably priced, but not necessarily least costly.

Lastly- I don''t think anyone meant to cast aspersions on any of the excellent dealers mentioned here.

Oh it most certainly was and instead of doing it in a passive agressive manner she could have just stated her own experiences instead of attacking their reccomendation.

I''ve learned from others.I''ll bet others have watched what we have done and learned
It would be nice if you allowed for differences of opinion CCL- which would not have put anyone on the defnesive in the first place.

Properly supported dissenting opinions I love that way I get to learn what I have overlooked. Unsupported ones not so much they waste time and get people''s feathers ruffled.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 8:07:45 AM
Author: clgwli
CCL I realize when a discussion is not going to get anywhere and I am pretty sure this is one of those times.

If you want someone to openly consider your opinion or at least consider your points that is not the best way to start a post but I'll look past it.

Your post came across as highly arrogant to me and I don't appreciate your implications. I have my reasons for not picking either of the two you listed. I am sure if they heard my reasons they would understand and appreciate it. I have had horror stories of using sellers who source light yellows 'now and then' and how they treated me or what they were not able to find. I think it is arrogant of you to say that one vendor would be the best option for a certain colored diamond when you haven't even used them for such.

There is no arrogance intended in suggesting two vendors I know and trust for this type of selection, you used the term best I did not. Kenny being more interested in Fancy Colored Diamonds has listed others in past threads, hopefully he will chime in here. In this case I think price is a factor and I'm not sure this selection is the best bang for the buck and that is why I suggested checking prices and selection elsewhere. The premium for a a particular fancy color is not what this poster is looking for, they stated they are not that sensitive to hue or saturation so the choice of lower colors seems related to price more than a color preference.

Just so you know, if you want more pictures or videos of a stone, David has been happy to help me and others that I have seen by creating videos for them. He made one for me on a stone I decided wasn't for me. And I am not aware of any conditions on returning a stone that you seem to be implying. You have to call to get a return number so that the piece makes it back safely? I've seen that elsewhere on other vendors and honestly it makes sense. Just like it makes sense to call me the day before to make sure I will be available to take delivery of the piece. Lastly about DBL I have seen nice things said about stones as well as some negatives. It is up to you to decide if the good outweigh the bad when there are bad (like not symmetrical or included etc)

I am not sure I understand what you are saying with the pictures. Being a tech person who has had to use photoshop I am always aware of shadows and I see the diamonds in different lighting depending on what is being focused on. Sometimes color, sometimes clarity, sometimes shine. I really cannot say I see the deceptive look you imply. I have taken nearly identical looking pictures of the stones in normal lighting with my macro. I do not use deceptive lighting when I take mine so I cannot assume David does either.

When viewing a diamond held up by tweezer allowing light from the back or side of the pavillion to enter the diamond the photograph does not reproduce the type of lighting found when the stone will be worn in a ring.

In order to judge cut and beauty as will be seen when worn in a ring, one needs to see the virtual facets or the appearance of the diamond when the most common overhead or over the shoulder lighting of the crown is predominant. The photographs RD uses especially for radiant cuts are fine for viewing inclusions or seeing physical facet structure and if labelled as such are perfectly fine.

However, I have seen far too many inexperienced posters in these forums interpret cut and other beauty elements of radiants on his site from these DBL backlit photographs. This is not a true representation of the appearance of the stone when worn. Those big beautiful facets in a radiant will be cut up into tiny virtual facets like crushed ice when the crown is the primary source of lighting in the diamond. Look at your avatar picture and notice how different it is in appearance from the backlit photographs of other radiants shown on DBLs website. Providing 5 shots of the pavillion or side lit and omitting the most common overhead lighting(where light enters mostly from the crown) really makes it impossible to draw any proper conclusions from the photographs about cut, light return or the overall beauty.
If you want to see what I mean look at your diamond in a dark room pointing a flash light from the back and to side onto your diamond. Now do the same by pointing the flashlight from the front and to the side, do you see how different the appearances of the virtual facets become?

Those big beautiful clear facets will be chopped up into really small virtual facets like crushed ice

As someone who said to David that I wanted an eye clean stone, I had trust enough that what I got was what I asked for. In fact so much so at this point that I would have no issue just calling him and saying 'send me X type of stone' and not worry about what I will get. I find him to be honest and frank to a good level. Tells the good and bad and lets me decide the rest. That's how it should be. I also like being able to say a negative about a stone and not worry about being bashed for it. I don't have to like a stone that someone loves. That's why there are so many color, cut, clarity etc combinations out there.

I had to say this so that if the OP isn't too scared away by your arguments with me that they have a chance to decide on their own from someone who has used them and not someone who hasn't.

Your experience is a good testimonial especially for colored diamond shoppers and stands on its own. RD is pretty handy with a camera and if he is willing to take additional video or photographs pre purchase that exceeds the service of most sites. I would however find it difficult to judge color definitively from a video or photograph though and this is a common problem over in the Colored Stones forum.

CharmyPoo, I admit I don't go on the colored stones section much here. My comment was should have said Rocky Talky doesn't favor colored diamonds as much. Not a negative, just a fact just like what I see in real life. I have, however, seen a few recommendations here though that includes for Daussi cuts as well as some step cuts instead of just colored. I've seen good reviews on other internet sites as well. The colored stones section from the few times I have looked were pretty much focused on gemstones which I appreciate, but am not looking into at this time in my life so I don't look there often. And it could have been the days I was looking that didn't have much diamond discussion. I haven't been there in many many many months so take what I say with a grain of salt.

To the OP I do think this is a nice colored stone and would look great. Again I am not usually a fan of emeralds for myself, but I do appreciate them and find them to be beautiful to look at. This one reminds me of a more yellow version of one in my family that I always admired. I am sorry this turned into a nasty debate.

I am a cut nut, and in near colorless or faint yellow diamonds I would still select primarily based on scintillation, fire and brightness, that is my opinion not everyone agrees.
I'll let GIA grade the color and then the vendor should do their work on finding me the best cut available (in terms of brightness, fire and scintillation) in this color range.
I would never select a stone or cut that favoured saturation of color at the expense of the other important light return properties.

Selection and comparison shopping is healthy and I see no reason why the OP shouldn't explore other options for what $3695 can buy.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Oh the Humanity!@!!

Please take the argument to another thread, you crazy kids you!!! *shakes fist, a la 1920''s style*

Let''s keep this about OP''s question. Is it a well cut EC, what if any red flags. Or post alternatives to consider.

Don''t make me shake my fist again
28.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, Here''s a link to some mental Prozac for any who might need it.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Missydebby I am sorry for dragging into this with him. I really did not intend to. I really should have been better about ignoring or avoiding confrontation.

CCL I will be happy to discuss you on another thread since you are definitely beyond what the OP asked about in this thread. For the record, though, it isn''t wise to pick a 96x96 pixel avatar that was diminished in quality as well as came from a 2272x1704 original.

OP I apologize yet again. I do think this is a neat stone and if I were you, I wouldn''t hesitate to ask for even more photos and video if I were you. I do think it is nice for an emerald though. I love soft yellows in general and seem to be drawn to them even if it isn''t my "favorite cut" (ie round, princess etc)

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 5:06:37 PM
Missydebby I am sorry for dragging into this with him. I really did not intend to. I really should have been better about ignoring or avoiding confrontation.

CCL I will be happy to discuss you on another thread since you are definitely beyond what the OP asked about in this thread. For the record, though, it isn't wise to pick a 96x96 pixel avatar that was diminished in quality as well as came from a 2272x1704 original.

OP I apologize yet again. I do think this is a neat stone and if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for even more photos and video if I were you. I do think it is nice for an emerald though. I love soft yellows in general and seem to be drawn to them even if it isn't my 'favorite cut' (ie round, princess etc)
clgwli,

I don't need a high res picture to tell your yellow radiant is on your finger (light is blocked from entering from the back of pavillion) and light is coming from the left overhead or side positions.
Most of the DBL pics are the diamond held up in the air with darkened tweezers(indicative of back/side lighting). If the tweezers were bright and shiny it would indicate lighting from the front.

Most of this discussion is on the selection/rejection of this diamond and its vendor or alternative choices, there is no need to apologzie for anything as it is on topic. Once the OP narrows down their preferences further (we really need to know white or slight yellow), budget, outline shape, size then alternatives choices(if necessary) can be found and the discussion can move forward.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I will say it again CCL, I will reply on another thread if you want to discuss this further. I do not see how you trying to discuss my radiant and how you actually were not correct about the light source (it was overhead but behind a big tree and to the right as it was the sun at about 1:30 PM locally) has anything to do with the diamond in question.

I think you are trying to discuss DBL''s methods of taking pictures, but I do not see everything you are seeing. I used to do a lot with photography before my son was born. Not a total professional, but I did sell some prints locally and studied about all manual settings with photography. I''m used to looking at lighting and depth of field when it comes to pictures.

So if you want to discuss that on another thread, I am happy to and give you pictures and examples of things I have taken even with a point and shoot (my macro lens is broken for my DSLR) in macro mode. I will not hide the light source location either and i have some LED lights I can use to try to emulate what you would like to see.

I really just don''t think anything you are saying has much to do with the diamond in question since in the video you even saw the diamond on paper so you could tell light was blocked from behind.

With that I am not trying to be rude, but this conversation on this thread is done with me. I will no longer reply out of respect to the OP as I feel we are way off track.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2010 6:20:54 PM
I will say it again CCL, I will reply on another thread if you want to discuss this further. I do not see how you trying to discuss my radiant and how you actually were not correct about the light source (it was overhead but behind a big tree and to the right as it was the sun at about 1:30 PM locally) has anything to do with the diamond in question.

I think you are trying to discuss DBL''s methods of taking pictures, but I do not see everything you are seeing. I used to do a lot with photography before my son was born. Not a total professional, but I did sell some prints locally and studied about all manual settings with photography. I''m used to looking at lighting and depth of field when it comes to pictures.

So if you want to discuss that on another thread, I am happy to and give you pictures and examples of things I have taken even with a point and shoot (my macro lens is broken for my DSLR) in macro mode. I will not hide the light source location either and i have some LED lights I can use to try to emulate what you would like to see.

I really just don''t think anything you are saying has much to do with the diamond in question since in the video you even saw the diamond on paper so you could tell light was blocked from behind.

With that I am not trying to be rude, but this conversation on this thread is done with me. I will no longer reply out of respect to the OP as I feel we are way off track.
Just read post by kenny here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-there-any-photos-documenting-the-negative-aspects-of-a-steep-deep.129271/page-7
and by Garry H here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-there-any-photos-documenting-the-negative-aspects-of-a-steep-deep.129271/page-7
and more here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-there-any-photos-documenting-the-negative-aspects-of-a-steep-deep.129271/page-8

There are many other threads as well about diamond dealers illuminating the pavillion just do a PS Boolean search.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow ccl- amazing dicovery- Kenny and Garry are not fans of mine..... you''re so perceptive.
Please find the threads where people who own our diamonds complain the photos mislead them....
AND
EVERY photo is a compromise. If you show the facet pattern, y ou can''t show sparkle. and vice versa
My opinion is that it''s best to show as much as you can, and let the viewer decide.\
And how again does this realte to the OP question

jenbuggy85

Rough_Rock
I think the stone is beautiful! (Ducks head and runs for cover!) :p

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I think the stone looks nice too. It could make for a great ring.

Judge fancies with your own eyes. Go see the stone if you can, or maybe David could arrange to have it sent to you.

I think David''s the best for colored diamonds. The other vendors touch colored diamonds once in a while, if at all. The Emerald cuts on other sites as well are all over the map in terms of how they look in pictures.

If you love the way this particular diamond looks in pictures (and there are certainly a lot of pictures on DBL), see if it passes your "in person" test.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Watching the video I did not like how some of the pavilions do not light up as it is tilted. OP Karl has told you his opinion of this diamond and I think it is probably the best one to pay attention to.

On another point, I do not think it is appropriate for a vendor to get involved in discussions of his wares. This is a consumer forum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results