shape
carat
color
clarity

Another loose diamond I like: O/P emerald

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I found this diamond that intrigues me. I am not set on any one shape right now, but I want an interesting stone for a project.

Emerald from DBL

Some questions:

1. Ignoring the color of the stone, how does it look otherwise?

2. How often do you think I will notice the yellow in this stone? I know it is a lower color which I don''t care about, but I''d like to know if it will almost always look yellow or no. The pics vary so much.

3. I would halo this stone-- do you think I should use white diamonds or yellow diamonds?

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
any opinions would be appreciated :)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I think with an O-P stone there is no avoiding the tint.

To me, this particular stone seems to show quite a bit of obstruction, so it''s not as bright as I would like.

White diamonds would make it seem yellower, but yellow diamonds would just make it seem washed-out I think.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Great size for the price. Would look great in an antique setting.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks like a nice stone.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I have some similarly colored diamonds (and love them). You will see the tint. I like them best when set in yellow gold... makes everything warm and golden. I''d ask to see some other photos of the stone... perhaps some in-hand and some shot from farther away. I think it will appear quite differently in various environments, especially with the fluorescence (which is fine, it is just good to know the range). I''d ask how the fluorescence appears, and how it seems to affect the stone IRL. Regardless of tint, the stone should appear bright. Double check that in photos and by talking with DBL. Also, if you want to halo, ask to see the stone next to colored diamonds similar to the halo colors you have in mind. These mid-range stones can be tricky, and as HopeDream suggested, different colors alongside will change the appearance of the center stone. The only way to get an idea is to test it out. How about a halo with some colored gemstones?

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
1. I am not usually a fan of long emeralds and couldn't tell you a good from a bad one. Don't take it personally I just really don't know LOL

2. David at DBL does a great job of taking pictures to show off the right colors. I would assume that because this one looks different depending on the lighting, that in real life, it would do the same. You can always e-mail or call David to find out for sure, but I know the pictures he showed me of my stone were spot on to what I see in real life.

3. Personally if I got a stone that color, I would this diamond in yellow gold so that it would bring out more yellow in the stone with high whites around it to provide contrast. But I will say that asking for opinoins from DBL would be good too since I think they have an eye for beauty there!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
This is my FAV video about color and you can get a general sense of O/P

Linky

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
1. The stone looks dark to me, but as with any fancy shape, you''d need to see it in person and decide for yourself.
2. There''s no avoiding the tint in that color range. But I think it''s impossible to tell from the pics how often, and exactly what you''re going to see.
3. I wouldn''t halo it. I think if you use white, the tint would be more obvious. If you use yellow, the stone would look washed out.
I also started noticing something odd that only seems to occur on PS. For instance, if you go to almost any jewelry store, the mark-ups for D-J color grades is much higher than any PS vendor would ever charge. However, if you can find K and below, the pricing seems to change, and the cost is much less than anything you''ll find on PS. I can only attribute this to niche marketing.

So if I were considering a lower color stone, I probably would try a local jeweler first to see if they could find me anything.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2010 7:40:01 PM
Author:LamborghiniGirl
I found this diamond that intrigues me. I am not set on any one shape right now, but I want an interesting stone for a project.

Emerald from DBL

Some questions:

1. Ignoring the color of the stone, how does it look otherwise?

Way too much darkness(obstruction) due to shallow pavillion angles on many of the steps. Not a great cut.

2. How often do you think I will notice the yellow in this stone? I know it is a lower color which I don't care about, but I'd like to know if it will almost always look yellow or no. The pics vary so much.

You will notice the yellow tint often but it will be faint, this isnt a fancy yellow color. Strong Fluoro will help it look more white in some lighting only.

3. I would halo this stone-- do you think I should use white diamonds or yellow diamonds?

I wouldn't buy this stone, the price seems high given comparables on the PS search, if you wanted it to look comparatively more yellow I would use colorless diamonds if you wanted it to look comparatively more white I would use yellow side stones. Ditto Point #3 that Clgwli said about using yellow gold and white diamonds for contrast.
If I were you I'd contact Mark at ERD or Jon at GOG and see what they can pull in for you and check pricing. If you want more white go with something like a K or L and using the PS search I see better options available within the same price range. I'm sure those vendors can find you even better choices with better cut and higher color in your price range.

If you want more yellow you can go even lower color (like U,V,Z) without paying the fancy color premium and a good vendor can help you achieve this within the same price range as well.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AS usual people who have no idea what the stone actually looks in person like will make comments regarding with no basis in realty......

Stones of this color, with strong blue fluorescence have a chameleon like personality- you can see this in the video where the stone is in different lighting scenarios. The color is very interesting- even deceptive- sometimes it looks very white- other times it shows the yellow..... KEWL!

Personally, I find the cut extremely attractive with no dark areas other than a pleasant contrast- the stone shows it's steps nicely! the stone was cut right here in NYC by a master of the art.

I would like it either in a three stone with high whites on the side for contrast, or in a halo. I'd use colorless stones in the halo...or possibly pink. IMO yellow stones would not give as nice an overall look as the yellow in the stone is quite faint, while smaller natural yellows have a deeper color....

IN terms of price- remember that stones like this are actually fairly rare, especially in a VVS- and cut like this one...also that we offer things like trade up- and a PS discount.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 12:44:02 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
AS usual people who have no idea what the stone actually looks in person like will make comments regarding with no basis in realty......

Stones of this color, with strong blue fluorescence have a chameleon like personality- you can see this in the video where the stone is in different lighting scenarios. The color is very interesting- even deceptive- sometimes it looks very white- other times it shows the yellow..... KEWL!

Personally, I find the cut extremely attractive with no dark areas other than a pleasant contrast- the stone shows it''s steps nicely! the stone was cut right here in NYC by a master of the art.

I would like it either in a three stone with high whites on the side for contrast, or in a halo. I''d use colorless stones in the halo...or possibly pink. IMO yellow stones would not give as nice an overall look as the yellow in the stone is quite faint, while smaller natural yellows have a deeper color....

IN terms of price- remember that we offer things like trade up- and a PS discount.
The pictures, the video provided, and the fact it has a 73% table and an overall depth of 61% make it pretty clear this stone has a flat crown with obstruction issues.
OP I hope you realize it is unusual for vendor''s to try to sell their goods in this blatant manner in this consumer forum. If you wanted his opinion he could have waited for you to call or make an appointment.

Buyer Beware.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

Personally, I find the cut extremely attractive with no dark areas other than a pleasant contrast- the stone shows it's steps nicely! the stone was cut right here in NYC by a master of the art.

I would like it either in a three stone with high whites on the side for contrast, or in a halo. I'd use colorless stones in the halo...or possibly pink. IMO yellow stones would not give as nice an overall look as the yellow in the stone is quite faint, while smaller natural yellows have a deeper color....

IN terms of price- remember that stones like this are actually fairly rare, especially in a VVS- and cut like this one...also that we offer things like trade up- and a PS discount.

In essence what you're saying is no one on PS should give an opinion unless they've seen the stone in person? If that's the case, then it would be a buyer/vendor forum. The buyer asks a question, the vendor praise the stone.
So much for a consumer site.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 1:05:31 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Personally, I find the cut extremely attractive with no dark areas other than a pleasant contrast- the stone shows it''s steps nicely! the stone was cut right here in NYC by a master of the art.

I would like it either in a three stone with high whites on the side for contrast, or in a halo. I''d use colorless stones in the halo...or possibly pink. IMO yellow stones would not give as nice an overall look as the yellow in the stone is quite faint, while smaller natural yellows have a deeper color....

IN terms of price- remember that we offer things like trade up- and a PS discount.
The pictures, the video provided, and the fact it has a 73% table and an overall depth of 61% make it pretty clear this stone has a flat crown with obstruction issues.
OP I hope you realize it is unusual for vendor''s to try to sell their goods in this blatant manner in this consumer forum. If you wanted his opinion he could have waited for you to call or make an appointment.

Buyer Beware.
So when I saw a PS vendor try to explain and defend the coloring differences in a stone not too long ago, that was bad too? Sorry but I just saw it recently where someone commented on an AVC stone''s color and GOG came in and defended the stone. To me it is very similar.

I know very little about emerald cuts. They just aren''t my thing. However the OP has already asked about other shapes of yellow stones, so I assume they are looking for a yellow diamond. If that''s the case, wouldn''t you suggest they use someone who actually specializes in the color? I personally wouldn''t suggest to the OP to go higher in color just to use a vendor who might carry a K or L (referencing your other post). Not everyone is looking for a colorless stone.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 1:51:36 PM
Author: clgwli

Buyer Beware.
So when I saw a PS vendor try to explain and defend the coloring differences in a stone not too long ago, that was bad too? Sorry but I just saw it recently where someone commented on an AVC stone''s color and GOG came in and defended the stone. To me it is very similar.

Not really a fair comparison.

Two major differences 1) Both stones discussed were already sold! 2) There was a clear incorrect conclusion being drawn from the photograph based on the lighting and prongs
Pretty rare to see a GIA graded F color with grey/black hue if that was even the case (i''m still not sure).

I know very little about emerald cuts. They just aren''t my thing. However the OP has already asked about other shapes of yellow stones, so I assume they are looking for a yellow diamond. If that''s the case, wouldn''t you suggest they use someone who actually specializes in the color? I personally wouldn''t suggest to the OP to go higher in color just to use a vendor who might carry a K or L (referencing your other post). Not everyone is looking for a colorless stone.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 2:37:00 PM

OP I hope you realize it is unusual for vendor's to try to sell their goods in this blatant manner in this consumer forum. If you wanted his opinion he could have waited for you to call or make an appointment.

Buyer Beware.
So when I saw a PS vendor try to explain and defend the coloring differences in a stone not too long ago, that was bad too? Sorry but I just saw it recently where someone commented on an AVC stone's color and GOG came in and defended the stone. To me it is very similar.

Two major differences 1) Both stones discussed were already sold! 2) There was a clear incorrect conclusion being drawn from the photograph based on the lighting and prongs
Pretty rare to see a GIA graded F color with grey/black hue if that was even the case (i'm still not sure).

I know very little about emerald cuts. They just aren't my thing. However the OP has already asked about other shapes of yellow stones, so I assume they are looking for a yellow diamond. If that's the case, wouldn't you suggest they use someone who actually specializes in the color? I personally wouldn't suggest to the OP to go higher in color just to use a vendor who might carry a K or L (referencing your other post). Not everyone is looking for a colorless stone.
When I was reading I was under the impression the discussion was about a stone they bought and one they didn't. I do realize one was sold, but I thought the darker stone was not and returned to GOG. And given the discussion, I do not believe GOG really was able to explain what JBEG saw. But I only read the last parts quickly as my son was waking. I just got the impression one wasn't as bright as the other. Happens even in good cuts.

If I am wrong, then I apologize, but again when I was reading one was returned to GOG and the other bought. Now if the darker stone was bought in the time since, I wouldn't know. I don't really check out AVC inventory ever (just not my style).

I still think that suggesting the OP look to someone who doesn't know yellow stones when they've now asked about 3 different ones is not wise even for someone who I can tell doesn't like DBL
2.gif

While I do like DBL myself, I also love colored diamonds and find they were the best source that I personally found online and even out of local places. So my appreciation has to do with my own yellow diamond search. Sadly pricescope didn't help that much as there don't seem to be that many who favor colored diamonds. Probably like in real life, I don't see any colored stones on a regular basis. And one could say that I appreciated all that DBL had to offer in spite of a few posters who really do seem to put down DBL regularly.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Call it a hunch, but I think perhaps some people are not into DBL because they proudly carry diamonds of wildly varying cut qualities. And Rockdiamond sees beauty in a lot of different diamonds, from movies stars to mutts, which can be irritating to PSers that feel that''s perhaps an excuse for poorer quality diamonds. On the site, I find the descriptions are up front. Some stones have cut or clarity issues, and they''ll say it right up front. There is a selection of diamonds if those issues don''t bother you, or you like a diamond that''s got a unique character based somewhat on its flaws. Of course, he''s got some real beauts too. In the end, from all I understand, you need to see the stone in person when looking for a colored stone, when so much is subjective... like how that color speaks to you or lays next to your skin tone.

Back to OP... OP seems to be looking for a good price on a light yellow to vivid 1+ carat stone, hence her other examples. Great prices, large spread. And she wants to know if the stones she''s looking at have any red flags. Like that "rose cut" pear stone. Great price, seemingly nice color and clarity, nice size. So she wants to know with this example, how yellow it''s gonna be, since it''s the lightest so far of all her examples. This stone catches her eye because if it''s yellow enough, especially if it can be enhanced by the setting, it might work for her project. Her question is, I think, beside color, does the cut/steps/dark light pattern of this tone look good for an emerald cut? I wish I could answer, but have no clue.
2.gif

OP, if I totally misinterpreted, let me know. If I got it right, let''s focus on that
1.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen the OP''s other threads but if the point is to have a yellow(ish) diamond, I don''t believe the O-P range is gonna do it. In some lighting maybe, in others no.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Elle_chris, I have to agree with you on the O-P. When I first started looking I thought I wanted about an M-P and then after looking I realized I wanted more. I figured in my mind that I wanted at least an S-T through a FLY. For me personally, the vivids were too much so, but I do appreciate the colors. So if the OP is somewhat like me, I would go lower in color for the yellow look.

Missydebby, I think you have a great point about the perceptions of DBL in general. I like the frankness and the honesty on the site. What I really like is the abillity to ask for more pictures or videos of something you like to see what it really looks like. When it comes to color that is HUGE to me. Of course it only took 2 pictures for me to be sold on the one I bought LOL. The color and cut were just what I was looking for and I was sold.

To the OP, I have a stone that I saw recently that I really liked the look of that I just want to share. It''s a decent size and something about the cut of this stone I just like. I am a radiant lover for colored stones though

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-106-light-yellow-radiant-diamond-great-value-r3367

Feel free to ignore me, but I really liked the way the facet structure looked on this one.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/2/2010 3:32:09 PM
Author: missydebby
This stone catches her eye because if it's yellow enough, especially if it can be enhanced by the setting, it might work for her project. Her question is, I think, beside color, does the cut/steps/dark light pattern of this tone look good for an emerald cut? I wish I could answer, but have no clue.
2.gif

OP, if I totally misinterpreted, let me know. If I got it right, let's focus on that
1.gif

Exactly. Thank you missydebby :)

A few people have mentioned some obstruction I think? Or maybe that was about the AVC. I am writing this from my phone, I apologize. Can someone else discuss anything I should know about this stone excluding the color? Someone who has more expertise about emerald cuts?

ETA: clgwli and elle, i really don't care how dark or light yellow the stone is. just looking for a stone i like, no matter if it is a K color or fancy yellow or anything in between. i only brought that up so i could determine what pave diamond color to use in a halo. whether the side diamonds make the stone look yellower or whiter doesn't matter to me-- i just want the whole ring to end up looking good.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think David did a pretty good job capturing its nature of light return in the video.
Traditional EC, with all its plus and minuses.
Why David is getting bent out of shape to many in the trade that is what an EC is supposed to look like.
In the video you can see nice patterns, decent brightness and the near total lack of life that a traditional EC is known for showing.
The biggest issue is hard contrast where the dark zones do not flash bright with mild tilt.
The video 100% shows this.
If you want a classic EC this one is not bad, if you want the life and flash of a modern EC this is not it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
LG, I know there are several posters who are not fans of DBL, but David also has many happy customers. I've seen photos of his finished pieces on this site and on other sites, and they are lovely. He would not be my vendor-of-choice for an RB, but if I was in the market for a fancy cut/color diamond, I would most certainly contact him.

As to your question about what this stone will look like under different lighting conditions, I may be able to shed some light (pun intended) on that for you. I have owned an M color round brilliant that was breathtaking, but the wrong color for my skin tone. The M color is at the bottom of the "faint yellow" spectrum. The M color had many different color personalities, depending on lighting. An O color stone, especially in an emerald cut with a big table like this one*****, will no doubt be even more changeable. In bright light, the stone will probably be a creamy white; in low lighting, like incandescent light in the evening, the stone will be a deep golden color with perhaps some gray or green undertones. In some office lighting, my M stone looked like a citrine or a champagne color diamond. My current I color stone has strong blue fluorescence, and the fluoro really whitens the stone in direct sunlight and in office lighting. So this stone may be quite bright and blue (like David's photo) in the sun.

I love emerald cuts, and would love to own one some day. The stone you've posted is intriguing to me, too, and I think it could be quite striking if set in a way that will show off its beauty. If you are looking for a setting that is more traditional, I'd defer to David's suggestions for sidestones. But if I owned that stone, I would set it in an artsy, yellow gold setting with colored diamond accent stones, similar to the kind of style
Alex Sepkus produces.

*****ETA: Actually, I'm not sure about this.Karl, if you're still on this thread, will the large table/shallow depth entrap color or make the color less noticeable?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
have you seen this August Vintage Round? Link

It's a P, 1.43 carat, incredibly well cut and Rhino will surely make some videos for you to help you see the color. The price is awesome, too.

Edit:

Here's also a possibility if you are also considering something with some brown in it. It's on Jewels by Erica Grace. Link

It's a C2 (Champagne) modern RB, 1.18 carat VS2, and under $2500 and they have photos and video

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI all,
Lambogirl- my main goal always in posting is to assist people reading. I hope that discussions like this can enlighten and educate readers.

In general, all expert trade members posting on PS agree on the fact you can''t judge a stone based solely on measurements- especially fancy shapes. Measurements have value, but can''t provide definitive answers.
Sara- I hope you don''t mind me fielding the question you posed for Karl- that being: Will a large table/shallow depth make color more or less noticeable?

It''s just not possible to make such blanket statements without making the disclaimer that not all stones react the same way.
Depth, for example.
It stands to reason that deeper stones can provide a longer light path, increasing perceived color.
Yet I''ve seen quite shallow stones that were incredibly Vivid Yellow.

Another wildcard with stones in the O-P/Q-R/S-T range is the end result after setting- and how the metal affects the diamond''s perceived color- strong blue fluorescence just adds to that uncertainty.
Sometimes they set looking quite yellow- other times not.
It''s possible that if the stone was cut to a radiant, it would get a shade darker.

I don''t select based on table depth- rather by looking.
To me, the large table allows a better view of the steps- which are a main ingredient on a nice looking emerald to my eye. Which attracts me to some stones.
I love small tables in many cases as well. I just don''t agree that an emerald cut with a larger table- or shallow crown in and of themselves makes for a badly cut diamond ( or implications of "obstruction).
Nor do I agree that a stone cut to classic proportions is necessarily less flashy or lacking life.
Some designs are so good that you really don''t need to change anything to make something intrinsically artful and amazing.
An Emerald cut is such a thing for many people. Classic.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 2:55:55 PM

Date: 6/2/2010 2:37:00 PM

OP I hope you realize it is unusual for vendor's to try to sell their goods in this blatant manner in this consumer forum. If you wanted his opinion he could have waited for you to call or make an appointment.

Buyer Beware.
So when I saw a PS vendor try to explain and defend the coloring differences in a stone not too long ago, that was bad too? Sorry but I just saw it recently where someone commented on an AVC stone's color and GOG came in and defended the stone. To me it is very similar.

Pretty rare to see a GIA graded F color with grey/black hue if that was even the case (i'm still not sure).

I know very little about emerald cuts. They just aren't my thing. However the OP has already asked about other shapes of yellow stones, so I assume they are looking for a yellow diamond. If that's the case, wouldn't you suggest they use someone who actually specializes in the color? I personally wouldn't suggest to the OP to go higher in color just to use a vendor who might carry a K or L (referencing your other post). Not everyone is looking for a colorless stone.
When I was reading I was under the impression the discussion was about a stone they bought and one they didn't. I do realize one was sold, but I thought the darker stone was not and returned to GOG. And given the discussion, I do not believe GOG really was able to explain what JBEG saw. But I only read the last parts quickly as my son was waking. I just got the impression one wasn't as bright as the other. Happens even in good cuts.

No both were sold, and as a particpant in that thread I would have been much happier if that other AVC 1.5 F SI2 was still available, as then we could determine conclusively if it did indeed have a slight greyish/black hue and why. However what was being seen in the pictures was a far more dramatic difference caused by lighting and reflections of the prongs rather than nuances in cut(I saw both ASETs in CNs previous thread) or a slight hue(It was a GIA F!) and is definitely a worthwhile post by a vendor especially if the owner of that stone was reading
2.gif

If I am wrong, then I apologize, but again when I was reading one was returned to GOG and the other bought. Now if the darker stone was bought in the time since, I wouldn't know. I don't really check out AVC inventory ever (just not my style).

I still think that suggesting the OP look to someone who doesn't know yellow stones when they've now asked about 3 different ones is not wise even for someone who I can tell doesn't like DBL
2.gif

Who doesn't? I wouldn't be so quick to question the expertise of two of the best educators, students of gemology and well respected vendors here.

For GOG's approach to selection of yelllow stones take a look at this http://www.vimeo.com/9258011
I know Mark T at ERD has sourced lower colors for PSers in both ECs and Cushions, in this case I suspect for price reasons and given the OP is not particular about the saturation of the color he may potentially be the best choice of vendor for a light yellow Fancy Shape. It would appear the price consideration would make a fancy yellow prohibitively expensive.

While I do like DBL myself, I also love colored diamonds and find they were the best source that I personally found online and even out of local places. So my appreciation has to do with my own yellow diamond search. Sadly pricescope didn't help that much as there don't seem to be that many who favor colored diamonds. Probably like in real life, I don't see any colored stones on a regular basis. And one could say that I appreciated all that DBL had to offer in spite of a few posters who really do seem to put down DBL regularly.

If I had the luxury of seeing his inventory in person I'm sure there are some beauties, along with a whole lot that I would find mediocre or worse.

What concerns me about any potential customer of DBL, is that his website and comments here emphasize the positive aspects of everything he sells and often downplay the flaws. This makes it very difficult to make any sort of informed decision over the internet or to trust that his standards are strict enough to make critical selection choices. Combine this with a 7 day moneyback guaranteee with conditions and I'd be hesitant.

In stones where no video is available on his site it is impossible to judge cut (often difficult even with the video) as he is lighting the diamonds from the back or side, you see physical facets but not the more important virtual facets from overhead lighting which is what you will be looking at when the stone is on your hand.

In this example I also question the pricing on this particular item given my perception of better value available elsewhere.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ccl- to address a few points you raise- the micro-close up photography is quite good at illustrating imperfection- for this I am glad.I truly would not want someone to buy a diamond with a booger if that''s not what they had in mind. Same holds true for cut.
I think what is often the case here, is that there''s one very pervasive mindset on cut.
Since I''m looking at the diamond, it''s kind of funny to hear people make assumptions about obstruction or table size.
I try hard to show the diamonds in a way that''s realistic as possible- keeping in mind that any video or photographic representation has limitations.
You bring up price:
It''s not easy to find this type of stone when you need it. I find that in buying, cheapest is not what I''m looking for.
I like exceptional things- often times the nicest stone in the parcel is worth 30% more than the last stone. Just like any brand, a selective dealer, can offer clients a special item- reasonably priced, but not necessarily least costly.

Lastly- I don''t think anyone meant to cast aspersions on any of the excellent dealers mentioned here.
I''ve learned from others.I''ll bet others have watched what we have done and learned
It would be nice if you allowed for differences of opinion CCL- which would not have put anyone on the defnesive in the first place.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 2:55:55 PM

Sadly pricescope didn''t help that much as there don''t seem to be that many who favor colored diamonds. Probably like in real life, I don''t see any colored stones on a regular basis. And one could say that I appreciated all that DBL had to offer in spite of a few posters who really do seem to put down DBL regularly.
Lots of colored diamonds lovers over at the Colored Stones Forum. Although I must admit, I have never seen DBL recommended here other than by one or two of his past customers. I have never seen any of his diamonds in real life or worked with him so I am not in a position to judge beyond his website. I will just say ... I do LOVE COLORED DIAMONDS and COLORED GEMSTONES.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
LamborghiniGirl,

I think this emerald cut stone has a lot of potential, especially for warm-tone diamond lovers. The best way for you to know for sure is to evaluate it in person. Speculation on how it ACTUALLY performs is just that: speculation.

I would disregard a lot of opinions here that are not relevant to the diamond itself. DBL is a trust worthy seller and a nice person, you have nothing to worry about.

Zhu

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
CCL I realize when a discussion is not going to get anywhere and I am pretty sure this is one of those times. Your post came across as highly arrogant to me and I don't appreciate your implications. I have my reasons for not picking either of the two you listed. I am sure if they heard my reasons they would understand and appreciate it. I have had horror stories of using sellers who source light yellows "now and then" and how they treated me or what they were not able to find. I think it is arrogant of you to say that one vendor would be the best option for a certain colored diamond when you haven't even used them for such.

Just so you know, if you want more pictures or videos of a stone, David has been happy to help me and others that I have seen by creating videos for them. He made one for me on a stone I decided wasn't for me. And I am not aware of any conditions on returning a stone that you seem to be implying. You have to call to get a return number so that the piece makes it back safely? I've seen that elsewhere on other vendors and honestly it makes sense. Just like it makes sense to call me the day before to make sure I will be available to take delivery of the piece. Lastly about DBL I have seen nice things said about stones as well as some negatives. It is up to you to decide if the good outweigh the bad when there are bad (like not symmetrical or included etc)

I am not sure I understand what you are saying with the pictures. Being a tech person who has had to use photoshop I am always aware of shadows and I see the diamonds in different lighting depending on what is being focused on. Sometimes color, sometimes clarity, sometimes shine. I really cannot say I see the deceptive look you imply. I have taken nearly identical looking pictures of the stones in normal lighting with my macro. I do not use deceptive lighting when I take mine so I cannot assume David does either.

As someone who said to David that I wanted an eye clean stone, I had trust enough that what I got was what I asked for. In fact so much so at this point that I would have no issue just calling him and saying "send me X type of stone" and not worry about what I will get. I find him to be honest and frank to a good level. Tells the good and bad and lets me decide the rest. That's how it should be. I also like being able to say a negative about a stone and not worry about being bashed for it. I don't have to like a stone that someone loves. That's why there are so many color, cut, clarity etc combinations out there.

I had to say this so that if the OP isn't too scared away by your arguments with me that they have a chance to decide on their own from someone who has used them and not someone who hasn't.

CharmyPoo, I admit I don't go on the colored stones section much here. My comment was should have said Rocky Talky doesn't favor colored diamonds as much. Not a negative, just a fact just like what I see in real life. I have, however, seen a few recommendations here though that includes for Daussi cuts as well as some step cuts instead of just colored. I've seen good reviews on other internet sites as well. The colored stones section from the few times I have looked were pretty much focused on gemstones which I appreciate, but am not looking into at this time in my life so I don't look there often. And it could have been the days I was looking that didn't have much diamond discussion. I haven't been there in many many many months so take what I say with a grain of salt.

To the OP I do think this is a nice colored stone and would look great. Again I am not usually a fan of emeralds for myself, but I do appreciate them and find them to be beautiful to look at. This one reminds me of a more yellow version of one in my family that I always admired. I am sorry this turned into a nasty debate.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 11:25:59 PM
ccl- to address a few points you raise- the micro-close up photography is quite good at illustrating imperfection- for this I am glad.I truly would not want someone to buy a diamond with a booger if that''s not what they had in mind. Same holds true for cut.

I think what is often the case here, is that there''s one very pervasive mindset on cut.

Since I''m looking at the diamond, it''s kind of funny to hear people make assumptions about obstruction or table size.

I try hard to show the diamonds in a way that''s realistic as possible- keeping in mind that any video or photographic representation has limitations.

You bring up price:

It''s not easy to find this type of stone when you need it. I find that in buying, cheapest is not what I''m looking for.

I like exceptional things- often times the nicest stone in the parcel is worth 30% more than the last stone. Just like any brand, a selective dealer, can offer clients a special item- reasonably priced, but not necessarily least costly.

Lastly- I don''t think anyone meant to cast aspersions on any of the excellent dealers mentioned here.

I''ve learned from others.I''ll bet others have watched what we have done and learned

It would be nice if you allowed for differences of opinion CCL- which would not have put anyone on the defnesive in the first place.

Re the bolded sentence: I don''t think it''s that we''re making assumptions as much as using the information that YOU put on your website to try to answer the questions the OP asked. You as the vendor of course have the right to clarify anything that''s incorrect.

Of course she should see the stone in person and make her own decisions about whether it is pleasing to her eye! Of course you are the vendor and you can offer your own impressions of the stone. But we are merely reacting to the information you have chosen to post on your own website. If that information leads us to make incorrect assumptions about the stone, you might want to make some changes to your website.

Karl did say he thought the video and photos were a fair representation of the diamond and that it was a nice example of a "classic" emerald cut stone, so I don''t see what the issue is here.

I had a question about the effect of table size on the color -- which you answered, thank you.

But don''t mistake our general discussion for an attack on you or your stones. I happen to think you fill an important niche here on PS, even though I don''t always agree with your approach!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results