shape
carat
color
clarity

Another LOGR project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. Not sure I could tell the difference in real life though. Hmm. I have a pave ring and I wonder how it''s cut. I will have to look when I get home. Seems like not many of LOGRs auctions start low. Bummer.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the LOGR legacy 8x8 with the upgraded stones (on top) and the 7x7 legacy with the default stones on the bottom (single cuts). Both are nice settings and the stones sparkle on both, but up close, you can see differences. I do think the workmanship is also much much better on the 8x8, but I don''t think that has anything to do with the upgraded diamonds.

legacy_logr_comparison.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a far away shot of both in a very dim room at night. My bezel on the 7x7 is slightly yellow since I told the jeweler not to re-rhodium plate it (I like the slight two tone look).

farawayshotlogrs.jpg

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TL! I see a difference mainly in the color of the diamonds. The upgraded one looks more white. But of course the yellow bezel could be throwing that off slightly I suppose. Thanks for posting.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
TL: I also have the 8mm setting (no upgrade). I''m having a difficult time finding a sone to fit. I will probably have to have a stone cut to fit. I''m wondering if I should try to get it a little smaller (7.8mm) to fit?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2009 10:27:46 AM
Author: mochi
TL: I also have the 8mm setting (no upgrade). I''m having a difficult time finding a sone to fit. I will probably have to have a stone cut to fit. I''m wondering if I should try to get it a little smaller (7.8mm) to fit?
I am having that problem as well. It seems much easier to find stones to fit the 7x7. You could do a 7.8, and perhaps your jeweler can add prongs or additional metal to the bezel to make it fit.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2009 9:44:32 AM
Author: hoofbeats95
Thanks TL! I see a difference mainly in the color of the diamonds. The upgraded one looks more white. But of course the yellow bezel could be throwing that off slightly I suppose. Thanks for posting.
Not really, the stones are a bit cloudier and less sparkley than the 8x8, but typically it''s good enough, you don''t notice it unless you put the two side by side.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I can tell the 8x8 is better quality in terms of workmanship as well. I want one of these settings without the prongs.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2009 11:27:46 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
Is the 8x8 better made as well?
Definitely, by far, even the millgraining is nice and even, but I'm not sure if it would have been if I didn't upgrade the diamonds. My other rings with upgraded diamonds seem to be better quality as well. ???????

At this point, after hearing some horror stories, I feel compelled to spend more on the diamond upgrade. Since I have been doing that, my settings have turned out stellar in quality for what I'm paying. Now LaurenThePartier never upgraded her settings, but she adores them. However, some people that have won these settings on low auction prices have complained about shoddy workmanship and cloudy I-clarity diamonds.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
TL, I was just playing around with the LOGR 8mm ring and trying out my new calliper and it doesn''t register as a 8mm. Mind you, I''m new to measuring with this calliper (a digital), so I''m wondering if I''m doing it right. I measured the inside as around 7.1mm. Would hate to get a gemstone made and not fitting. I''ve had this happen too often with LOGR settings.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2009 2:20:53 PM
TL, I was just playing around with the LOGR 8mm ring and trying out my new calliper and it doesn't register as a 8mm. Mind you, I'm new to measuring with this calliper (a digital), so I'm wondering if I'm doing it right. I measured the inside as around 7.1mm. Would hate to get a gemstone made and not fitting. I've had this happen too often with LOGR settings.
Mochi,
I'm awaiting my digital calliper in the mail, but I do know that LaurenThePartier has stated that it's best to find a stone a couple of a tenths of a millimeter smaller than the settings he's advertising. For example, the 6.8mm would probably fit perfectly in a 7x7, but a 7mm might be pushing the limits a bit. In any case, a good jeweler can make a stone fit if it's not too terribly off (by more than half a millimeter). However, that does add to your setting cost. I guess that's the price we pay for purchasing an inexpensive pre-made setting, and not doing custom.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it, what a beautiful setting!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Another question about the 8mm mounting or bezel setting in general. Do the jeweller stretch out the metal than lay the metal over the gemstone or does the gemstone have to set within the setting leaving enough of the metal to be worked on the the stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2009 4:34:04 PM
Another question about the 8mm mounting or bezel setting in general. Do the jeweller stretch out the metal than lay the metal over the gemstone or does the gemstone have to set within the setting leaving enough of the metal to be worked on the the stone?
If a stone is smaller than the bezel, gold must be added to make a "frame" around the stone, like my recent bezeled tourmaline which was 6.5 mm, but the legacy was 7x7. If the stone is too large, they sometime can try to open up the bezel a little bit, but this can be very "iffy" with diamonds around it. A jeweler would have to evaluate your piece to see if it can be done without destroying the integrity of the ring and the way the diamonds are set. It''s always much easier to prong set a larger stone I think. They can build prongs on that setting. I have an 8x8 cushion aqua, and it sits a bit too high in this setting, and it just doesn''t drop in, so I do agree that it''s probably meant for a slightly smaller stone. You could also try prong setting a round stone in there. Here''s a 9mm rhodolite stone sitting on top of that setting. I''m not sure if you would go for this look, but it is another option.

legacy_set_round.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the 8x8 aqua in the setting, it''s too big to be bezeled as you can clearly see.

polishedup_aqua_cushion.jpg

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 4:58:39 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here''s the 8x8 aqua in the setting, it''s too big to be bezeled as you can clearly see.
I love that with aqua (my birthstone)!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That aqua looks awsome in that setting. I really want a bezel setting. I think I will just get a stone made smaller than 8mm. Now, to decide what color gem to go with. That''s another problem.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The digital calipers are surprisingly easy to use. I won''t be surprised that the setting is actually smaller. Make sure you get it exact before you cut the stone!

I vote a pink or red stone. Actually, I love them all. I want a rainbow like Lauren!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
TL I''m really glad you posted that pic of the 8x8 - I''m planning on buying that one for my blue-green, and the blue-green is a little bit under 7 mm (I think 6.8). Either way I''m going to have to get him to customize it- unless I just went with the 7x7 and had my jeweler cut the prongs off. Did you think the 8x8 was better quality (workmanship, etc.)? Should I just do that, or do the 7x7? (7x7 would be cheaper....by a lot I think - ugh LOGR prices).

I''m definitely getting the 7x7 for my mom but definitely customized - it''ll have to fit a 10x10 and LOGR is charging a ton for it....
38.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh Mochi, I meant to post this a while back but I was having trouble - I love that new setting, but I also had the thought that it reminded me of a spider! (of course, if spiders actually looked like that and were covered in diamonds, maybe I wouldn''t kill them..or maybe I would and harvest the diamonds!
3.gif
)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love it
36.gif
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2009 7:04:28 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
TL I'm really glad you posted that pic of the 8x8 - I'm planning on buying that one for my blue-green, and the blue-green is a little bit under 7 mm (I think 6.8). Either way I'm going to have to get him to customize it- unless I just went with the 7x7 and had my jeweler cut the prongs off. Did you think the 8x8 was better quality (workmanship, etc.)? Should I just do that, or do the 7x7? (7x7 would be cheaper....by a lot I think - ugh LOGR prices).

I'm definitely getting the 7x7 for my mom but definitely customized - it'll have to fit a 10x10 and LOGR is charging a ton for it....
38.gif
I do think the 8x8 is of superior quality to the 7x7 of my versions. I cannot vouch for other people's versions of those settings, but for the price, I'm not expecting Leon! I do not think your JW tourmaline will fit in the 8x8, it will be too small, but let me get back to you on that because I recently ordered a cushion 6.8mm tourmaline, and I'm going to plop it in the 8x8 to see. I cannot for the life of me find a stone I like that is cushion cut in a 7.7 mm size - ugh! I feel your pain.

Now, I will say this, the diamonds on the 7x7 are slightly larger, but that's because there aren't as many. The diamond weight on both pieces are the same, but you can see the diamond size difference in my photographs as well. However, the diamonds are set nicer and the millgraining is nicer and the diamonds on the 8x8 are certinaly not tiny by any means. If you do get the 7x7, I would recommend to upgrade the diamonds. Your beautiful JW tourmaline deserves that.
30.gif
31.gif

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Forgive the noob question but what is a LOGR? Thanks

Beautiful rings btw ladies..

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 8:24:36 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 1/11/2009 7:04:28 PM

TL I''m really glad you posted that pic of the 8x8 - I''m planning on buying that one for my blue-green, and the blue-green is a little bit under 7 mm (I think 6.8). Either way I''m going to have to get him to customize it- unless I just went with the 7x7 and had my jeweler cut the prongs off. Did you think the 8x8 was better quality (workmanship, etc.)? Should I just do that, or do the 7x7? (7x7 would be cheaper....by a lot I think - ugh LOGR prices).

I''m definitely getting the 7x7 for my mom but definitely customized - it''ll have to fit a 10x10 and LOGR is charging a ton for it....
38.gif

I do think the 8x8 is of superior quality to the 7x7 of my versions. I cannot vouch for other people''s versions of those settings, but for the price, I''m not expecting Leon! I do not think your JW tourmaline will fit in the 8x8, it will be too small, but let me get back to you on that because I recently ordered a cushion 6.8mm tourmaline, and I''m going to plop it in the 8x8 to see. I cannot for the life of me find a stone I like that is cushion cut in a 7.7 mm size - ugh! I feel your pain.

Now, I will say this, the diamonds on the 7x7 are slightly larger, but that''s because there aren''t as many. The diamond weight on both pieces are the same, but you can see the diamond size difference in my photographs as well. However, the diamonds are set nicer and the millgraining is nicer and the diamonds on the 8x8 are certinaly not tiny by any means. If you do get the 7x7, I would recommend to upgrade the diamonds. Your beautiful JW tourmaline deserves that.
30.gif
31.gif

Thanks TL! I''m thinking of asking him to customize the 8x8 then, to make it fit my tourmaline- although I''ll wait to see how your 6.8 mm fits. If it does fit, then that would make life much easier! (and my wallet hurt less!) Who did you order the tourmaline from? What color?? And finding something that''s 7.7 mm?? Yeah, I''d imagine that''s pretty difficult!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 9:11:29 PM
Author: rparker1998

LOGR is an ebay seller (lord_of_gem_rings). He sells semi-mounts very cheaply - mostly haloed stuff (rings, pendants, etc.). He''s based in China and the settings are what you pay for - i.e. real diamonds, real gold, decent quality, but not the Tiffany Legacy by any means. But for fun colored gem projects, they''re great - the pictures TL posted are a couple of his settings (I have one of them as well, with a garnet set in it).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2009 9:52:48 PM

Date: 1/11/2009 9:11:29 PM
Author: rparker1998

LOGR is an ebay seller (lord_of_gem_rings). He sells semi-mounts very cheaply - mostly haloed stuff (rings, pendants, etc.). He''s based in China and the settings are what you pay for - i.e. real diamonds, real gold, decent quality, but not the Tiffany Legacy by any means. But for fun colored gem projects, they''re great - the pictures TL posted are a couple of his settings (I have one of them as well, with a garnet set in it).
I don''t know about that. . . the millgraining on my 8x8 was nicer than the millgraining in the Tiffany print ads and in the store last time I checked.
27.gif

I''m bad - okay I''ll stop bashing Tiffany!!
11.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hey Tourmaline_Lover,

I''ve been wishing someone would show a side-by-side comparison of their upgraded/non-upgraded LOGR settings, so was really happy to find yours. How long did it take for the upgraded version to get to you (I''m assuming they would have to make a new ring)? Also, did you find that only the stones in the halo were upgraded, or were they upgrade in the shank and basket as well? And if you have any pics of those angles, I''d love to see them. By the way, both the rhodolite and aqua looked fantastic in that 8x8 setting; I''m not even sure which I like better. I hope your calipers arrive soon; my husband got me some for Cmas this year, and I''ve used them a lot already.

I myself am waiting on an eBay setting, but not LOGR. Maybe I''ll start a post about that.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 12:12:15 AM
Author: cellentani
Hey Tourmaline_Lover,

I've been wishing someone would show a side-by-side comparison of their upgraded/non-upgraded LOGR settings, so was really happy to find yours. How long did it take for the upgraded version to get to you (I'm assuming they would have to make a new ring)? Also, did you find that only the stones in the halo were upgraded, or were they upgrade in the shank and basket as well? And if you have any pics of those angles, I'd love to see them. By the way, both the rhodolite and aqua looked fantastic in that 8x8 setting; I'm not even sure which I like better. I hope your calipers arrive soon; my husband got me some for Cmas this year, and I've used them a lot already.

I myself am waiting on an eBay setting, but not LOGR. Maybe I'll start a post about that.
I louped the shank diamonds and they are full cut and not single cuts and not cloudy, so they were upgraded as well. I don't have any pictures of that however. Here's another ring with upgraded diamonds and the millgraining looks very nice as well. Again, this isn't Leon we're talking here, but I like it. I'm also getting another setting in a few days with upgraded diamonds, so we'll see if that is nice as well. I think he knows me, so maybe that's why he does a good job, because I'm a PS-er. Ha!!

It doesn't take long at all to do the diamond upgrade. I've been getting my settings in good time.

It's a very pretty setting, just about any stone would look nice in it. Thanks for the kind words. I'm still looking for the perfect stone for that setting however. Please post about your ebay setting with pictures. Thanks.

BTW, sorry to Mochi if I hijacked her thread. I probably should have opened a new thread on LOGR diamond quality.

logr_split_upclose.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
TL, no problem. This is very interesting to me. The next LOGR I get, I will get it upgraded. Do you have any LOGR in yellow gold? If so, does the prongs holding the also come in yellow gold or white?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 1:01:42 AM
TL, no problem. This is very interesting to me. The next LOGR I get, I will get it upgraded. Do you have any LOGR in yellow gold? If so, does the prongs holding the also come in yellow gold or white?
He makes the whole ring, including the prongs, in one gold color. Depending on the type of mounting, you can probably get a different prong color, but only if the prongs are a separate cast piece. For example, the prongs on your setting are part of the cast, but the prongs on this setting are not, so you can probably get a different color gold here. I have one yellow gold and one rose gold mount, and the prongs are all the same color as the gold.

logr_with_prongs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results