shape
carat
color
clarity

Another fork please - my experience with 23rd Street Jewelers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
At the risk of exposing myself as one of the craziest and most indecisive PSers ever, I'm going to confess to you all that I have just finished yet another reset of my round. I really thought I'd found "the one" last year with my Michael B Crown Lace, but I just couldn't get over feeling like the ring was too bulky. As much as I appreciated MB's unique design and incredible workmanship, I found myself immediately yearning for the simplicity and versatility of a solitaire. I made a secret pact with myself that if I still wanted a solitaire in a year's time, I'd allow myself one more reset. Needless to say, I did, and last month started looking around for the right jeweler to make me my FINAL mounting -- a very simple solitaire with a 4-prong basket-style head, a tubular shank, and those elusive Leon-style pointy claw prongs.

I'll spare you all the boring details about how I ended up using 23rd Street Jewelers in Santa Monica, but I'm sure glad I did. I'll admit that I was not at all impressed with the first salesperson I spoke to about my project and asked to work with someone else. Lucky for me I ended up working with Janet. She has lots of experience in high-end jewelry and was wonderful in every way -- enthusiastic, thorough, responsive (this gets her HUGE points in my book!). I really felt like my project was important to her even though it was very simple and relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. The best news, of course, is that I picked up my ring yesterday and it's GORGEOUS! I've never felt this way about another piece of jewelry. The workmanship is phenomenal -- certainly as good, if not better, than my Michael B. And the prong tips are AMAZING! I've never seen a Leon in person, but I can't imagine his prong tips are any better than this. I don't imagine I'll ever use anyone else for custom work. I know 23rd Street has the reputation for being quite expensive (and they are!), but their quote for this ring was quite a lot less than either Maytal Hannah or Servis & Taylor. The real point of this thread is just to say that 23rd Street Jewelers really should be added to the short list of top custom jewelers we recommend here on PS.

Oh, I realize that this thread is worthless without pictures, but I'm out of town and forgot my camera. I will post pics as soon as I get back home!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, you tease!!! I''m glad you''re happy with your re-set. I can''t wait to see the pics!
31.gif

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
They have gorgeous stuff in there albeit way overpriced. Glad you are happy with your new ring! Can''t wait to see the pictures!!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
You are a tease indeed. But WOW - I just browsed their website and I am so impressed. I think I loved all their pieces on their website. Their prices can't be that bad if they are less than Maytal.

Check out the cool prongs on this one.

r-005.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
It sounds perfect! Congrats.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 12:44:58 AM
Author:Demelza

Oh, I realize that this thread is worthless without pictures, but I''m out of town and forgot my camera. I will post pics as soon as I get back home!
What?
slap4.gif

I love 23rd St''s. work, I bet it IS beautiful Dem. Can''t wait to see it. And I''m so glad to hear you''re happy with the prongs.
2.gif

We''ll be waiting for pics, and do post lots, since we have so few of their pieces.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dem, I cannot wait to see pics. I''m just so happy you are happy
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see photos! It sounds lovely. I think you should reset your diamond as often as makes you happy!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, and I''m guessing she won''t be back home with that camera until after Thanksgiving!
14.gif

We are so excited for you and can''t WAIT to see these photos! I just love a happy ending!
30.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i am so excited for you! i cannot wait to see your pictures!! i always melt when i look at their website.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree that 23rd st should be considered right up there with leon and the others! Their craftsmanship is incredible and I LOVE so many of their designs. I can''t wait to see your ring, I bet they did an amazing job!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for being happy for me. I can't wait to show you pictures!! I continue to be amazed by my ring and really wish I had found 23rd Street years ago. It would have spared me a lot of heartache and (ironically) money. I went in there again today to play around with different bands. I fell in love with a gorgeous ring from Singlestone -- alternating bezel-set OECs and baguettes. A girl can dream. I also tried on an amazing 3 ct chunky-style cushion cut. Someone there has a REALLY good eye!

As for their pricing, they're definitely not cheap. I likely would have paid less for my solitaire had I gone through Leon, but staying local was important to me and worth the extra few hundred bucks. Their customer service is awesome too! Their jeweler set a CZ in my Michael B for free and Janet shipped it off to Pearlman's for me (I'm selling it there on consignment).

CharmyPoo -- Have you found Maytal's prices to be competitive? I've found her to be quite high as of late. Her quote was $2,400 for a plain platinum solitaire.

Ellen -- Can you believe there's someone else out there to do perfect pointy claw prongs???

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Way to go, Alex! I am so happy for you.
36.gif
I''m sure it is GORGEOUS!
30.gif

Although I may just burst at the seams if I don''t see some pictures SOON!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

BTW, here''s the website for 23rd Street Jewelers, in case anyone is interested:
http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/index.htm

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 6:54:29 PM
Author: Demelza

CharmyPoo -- Have you found Maytal''s prices to be competitive? I''ve found her to be quite high as of late. Her quote was $2,400 for a plain platinum solitaire.
We found her prices to be very competitive. Our quote was better than the ones we got from the NYC area. Perhaps, her prices for plain settings are not as competitive but more complex designs are.

I am in love with what I am seeing from 23rd Street Jewelers. I can''t wait to see your ring. Won''t it be great if we knew who their bench person is!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 8:41:06 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

CharmyPoo -- Have you found Maytal''s prices to be competitive? I''ve found her to be quite high as of late. Her quote was $2,400 for a plain platinum solitaire.

We found her prices to be very competitive. Our quote was better than the ones we got from the NYC area. Perhaps, her prices for plain settings are not as competitive but more complex designs are.

I am in love with what I am seeing from 23rd Street Jewelers. I can''t wait to see your ring. Won''t it be great if we knew who their bench person is!

It sure would be great! I''m sure there''s only a handful of really fine jewelers in LA using old-fashioned handmade techniques. Seems like there''s a good chance there''s a lot of overlap. Janet did say that they have 4 different jewelers they use depending on the project.

Can''t wait to see your Maytal! When will it be ready?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen -- Can you believe there''s someone else out there to do perfect pointy claw prongs???
Oh sure, I knew there had to be someone out there, it was just a matter of finding them! Yay for you.
9.gif

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
oh my! their collect is BEAUTIFUL!!!!i love the first ring on the second page... oh. now i wish i visited CA more often!! hmmm.. might have to take a "work" related field trip!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh.....Im so excited for you, Dem! I have always loved 23rd''s work.....If I lived in that area, I would definitely use them too.....I cant wait to see your pics, and Im so happy that you''re happy!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dem, I, too, will be very interested to see your ring!

You mentioned that they had a ring from Singlestone. It is interesting that you mentioned that because there is a ring setting for a RHR on their site that I really like and it is identical to a Singlestone design. So if it IS a Singlestone setting, it seems to me that it might cost less to have Singlestone make it as opposed to 23rd St. to eliminate extra markup. Did they tell you which rings were made by them and which ones they had made by Singlestone?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 1:52:07 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

You mentioned that they had a ring from Singlestone. It is interesting that you mentioned that because there is a ring setting for a RHR on their site that I really like and it is identical to a Singlestone design. So if it IS a Singlestone setting, it seems to me that it might cost less to have Singlestone make it as opposed to 23rd St. to eliminate extra markup. Did they tell you which rings were made by them and which ones they had made by Singlestone?

I''m not sure whether they have any settings made by Singlestone. Which one are you referring to? They do seem to have a couple of SS bands -- the one that Pixley has and a couple of others. I, too, wondered whether it would be less expensive to go through SS directly. I just talked to Patti to make an appointment to go there on Saturday morning to try on some more bands. It will be interesting to see if their pricing differs at all. I''ll let you guys know!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am excited to see your ring as well, good for you!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yay!! Glad you are happy and I can''t wait to see! It''s funny I just quoted your "put a fork in me" comment in my recent reset thread, and lo and behold you''ve reset again!
9.gif
Oh how I feel ya!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
OOoooooooH! I can''t wait to see your re-set, Demelza! I really like your strategy about waiting it out for a year.

Your taste is always impeccable and I''m so taken by 23rd Street''s work, which we so rarely get to see around here. I hope you''re getting your parents a digital camera for Christmas so you can borrow it on your future L.A. jewelry outings. Have a great Turkey day and take those snaps of your new treat when you can.
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2008 2:16:11 PM

Date: 11/26/2008 1:52:07 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

I'm not sure whether they have any settings made by Singlestone. Which one are you referring to? They do seem to have a couple of SS bands -- the one that Pixley has and a couple of others. I, too, wondered whether it would be less expensive to go through SS directly. I just talked to Patti to make an appointment to go there on Saturday morning to try on some more bands. It will be interesting to see if their pricing differs at all. I'll let you guys know!
On the 23rd St. site, go to rings page 3, bottom right, pink sapphire in cushion setting (like legacy). I adore that setting almost more than the Legacy, and awhile back I got a quote from Singlestone on the exact same setting. Eventually, Patti emailed me with a sapphire set in that setting and I replied that I wanted the price and more pictures, but I never heard from her again. I didn't pursue it because I really wanted to pick out my own sapphire (which I have found extremely difficult). Let me check and see if I have a picture. (I do have a picture of the setting with a diamond, but it'll have to be resized and I don't have time now. I'll try to post it tonight.0

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Coati -- that''s so funny you quoted me in your thread; I''ll have to go check it out! I wasn''t sure anyone would know what I was referring to and would think I was a complete weirdo. By the way, you''ll have to forgive me for not posting in your thread. I think your reset is AMAZING!!!! The simplicity and elegance of that ring is astounding. And the workmanship looks impeccable. Hopefully neither one of us will need any more forks!

Pixley -- My husband is coming down to LA today and I told him to bring my camera. I''m hoping it won''t be a problem to download the pictures onto my parent''s computer. If all goes well, I might have some pictures later today! Are you celebrating Turkey Day up there?

DS -- That''s too bad that SS never emailed you back. Please do post the pic when you get a chance. I''d love to see it. I wonder if the setting is on display at SS. I''m hoping to be able to take pictures while I''m there.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 10:29:36 AM
Coati -- that''s so funny you quoted me in your thread; I''ll have to go check it out! I wasn''t sure anyone would know what I was referring to and would think I was a complete weirdo. By the way, you''ll have to forgive me for not posting in your thread. I think your reset is AMAZING!!!! The simplicity and elegance of that ring is astounding. And the workmanship looks impeccable. Hopefully neither one of us will need any more forks!

Cheers Demelza! And here''s to hoping (no more forks!)--haha!
Thanks for you lovely comments about my reset--I''m still satisfied, but um...it''s only been a month or so.
9.gif

I''ve looked at each of your resets many times, and frankly, I''ve loved them all! You have great taste, and I have no doubt your new ring is stellar!
1.gif
Really can''t wait to see!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 10:44:17 AM
Author: coatimundi
Date: 11/27/2008 10:29:36 AM

Coati -- that's so funny you quoted me in your thread; I'll have to go check it out! I wasn't sure anyone would know what I was referring to and would think I was a complete weirdo. By the way, you'll have to forgive me for not posting in your thread. I think your reset is AMAZING!!!! The simplicity and elegance of that ring is astounding. And the workmanship looks impeccable. Hopefully neither one of us will need any more forks!

Cheers Demelza! And here's to hoping (no more forks!)--haha!

Thanks for you lovely comments about my reset--I'm still satisfied, but um...it's only been a month or so.
9.gif

I've looked at each of your resets many times, and frankly, I've loved them all! You have great taste, and I have no doubt your new ring is stellar!
1.gif
Really can't wait to see!

Awww, you're so sweet! I really think (and hope) that this is IT for me.

I'm glad to hear you're still satisfied. Your ring really is beautiful. It's not easy to accomplish simple and classic while still being unique. Let's make a pact with each other -- no more forks.....(for at least another few years
31.gif
)!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 10:58:38 AM

Cheers Demelza! And here''s to hoping (no more forks!)--haha!

Thanks for you lovely comments about my reset--I''m still satisfied, but um...it''s only been a month or so.
9.gif

I''ve looked at each of your resets many times, and frankly, I''ve loved them all! You have great taste, and I have no doubt your new ring is stellar!
1.gif
Really can''t wait to see!

Awww, you''re so sweet! I really think (and hope) that this is IT for me.

I''m glad to hear you''re still satisfied. Your ring really is beautiful. It''s not easy to accomplish simple and classic while still being unique. Let''s make a pact with each other -- no more forks.....(for at least another few years
31.gif
)![/quote]

Done! *shakes hands with Demelza*

Now I have another ring that I will probably change--but it''s not the e-ring, so that''s ok, right?? Must have something to be indecisive about!!
31.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 11:06:21 AM
Author: coatimundi
Date: 11/27/2008 10:58:38 AM

Cheers Demelza! And here's to hoping (no more forks!)--haha!

Thanks for you lovely comments about my reset--I'm still satisfied, but um...it's only been a month or so.
9.gif

I've looked at each of your resets many times, and frankly, I've loved them all! You have great taste, and I have no doubt your new ring is stellar!
1.gif
Really can't wait to see!

Awww, you're so sweet! I really think (and hope) that this is IT for me.

I'm glad to hear you're still satisfied. Your ring really is beautiful. It's not easy to accomplish simple and classic while still being unique. Let's make a pact with each other -- no more forks.....(for at least another few years
31.gif
)!

Done! *shakes hands with Demelza*

Now I have another ring that I will probably change--but it's not the e-ring, so that's ok, right?? Must have something to be indecisive about!!
31.gif
[/quote]

Deal! If I start thinking I need a new setting, you have my permission to knock me upside the head.

Of course you can change your other ring! Life wouldn't be much fun without some jewelry project on the horizon. I'm now on the search for the perfect band to go with my new setting. So excited to try on bands at Singlestone this weekend!

Hey, Pixley -- I forgot to tell you that I tried on your SS band at 23rd Street. Had it not been for your gorgeous set, I never would have thought to pair the two. It looked really good! I'm thinking I'm definitely going to go with something that has either baguettes or french cuts.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 2:36:44 PM
Date: 11/27/2008 11:06:21 AM

Hey, Pixley -- I forgot to tell you that I tried on your SS band at 23rd Street. Had it not been for your gorgeous set, I never would have thought to pair the two. It looked really good! I''m thinking I''m definitely going to go with something that has either baguettes or french cuts.

Ohhhh, I am so envious of you. Sounds like you are getting in some quality shopping time in L.A. You must be having lots of fun mixing and matching with your TWO new resets. You know, I am loving my SS band every day. I''m lusting after the larger band with the alternating ECs and OEC''s. Did you try that one on? There''s so much to enjoy at that store. Can''t wait to see what you decide on. Their french cuts are pretty fantastic.

I''ve actually been between Santa Cruz and San Francisco since last Friday to hang with the family and escape the winter doldrums of BC. Unfortunately, my in-laws are renting out their place in L.A. so we didn''t have any reason to go to L.A. this time around. I haven''t squeezed in any shopping time
39.gif
since the DD detests shopping. Qwaaaah. I''ll have to live vicariously through your adventures!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results