shape
carat
color
clarity

Another angle addressing the loss of Pave Stones...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've said this before but I think it bears repeating since my offline jeweler really did me a huge service by stressing this.

He did not want me to do pave eternity like the Michael B rings which I loved..because he said that there was not enough metal there to support those stones and that the metal could buckle or warp under too much pressure, aka hand gripping steering wheel or something as I think someone else noted. He said he had fixed rings like that before where the diamonds popped out from too much pressure...and he really did not recommend that kind of ring for daily usage because of long-term durability issues.

We did prong set eternity because of a few stories he told us and we just decided we did not love that bling encrusted look enough to worry about the setting day in and day out after forking over a few grand for it. At the time I was kind of like WELL is he just being a nervous nellie and esp after we have seen so many beautiful rings on here where people don't have problems....but then lately it seems like EVERYONE is having something go wrong with a pave ring. So I don't know why the delayed timeline, maybe when it was not as popular the worksmanship was better? I know that sounds bizarre but it's just a thought. Why would there be less than a handful of problems for 2 years after we got our ring (when MB etc was still popular) but lately when it has all exploded in the last 6-9 months there seems to be a rash of recent issues within the last 6 months. Some say it could be worksmanship, others say it's just the nature of the beast.

It's hard to really determine WHY I think from a consumer's perspective because I have seen experts say different things on this subject....but I guess the bottom line is that if you don't want to worry about the ring, or worksmanship or the nature of the beast, then do not get that encrusted diamond pave look. I would especially not get 3 sided...there have been a few on here and we have heard of problems with those as well.

If you do have something custom designed, make sure there is enough metal to support and protect the stones, and that may not mean micropave. But in the end all the information on this is out there, all the debates on what went wrong or did not, that it's this or that...but if you don't want to deal with it, avoid it. Don't get pave. That's it!

widget

Ideal_Rock
So interesting!

Is it possible for someone to post super closeups of "micro pave" and "classic pave" so that I can see the difference??

widget

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think educating yourself on all the pros and cons is the way to go and what this site is about. However, not everyone has had problems with their pave. kayla wears hers, puts it in the ultrasonic and so far so good. Windowshopper hasn't jumped in here but she has a leon ring and as far as we know, no problems there. Laney's says her Tacori rings even go to the gym. We haven't heard from Reena lately but nothing there either..Many times people come here when they have a problem, there are probably hundreds of pave ring owners out there who are fine. I do believe Bill when he says the higher more qualified benchman who do it day in and day out produce a better product but Bill also says these types of rings need to be treated with more care. This is where your lifestyle comes into play. Some people sit at a desk or don't mind taking off their rings when doing active things, others want to wear them 24/7. What's your lifestyle? Mara didn't want to worry about it and found a workable solution, more metal,still lots of sparkle on her bands. Like I said before, if I fell head over heals in love with a Daniel K or Michael B i'd get it and just be a little more careful than I was with my plain plat. solitaire set I use to have.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2005 11:26:06 AM
Author: Mara
I''ve said this before but I think it bears repeating since my offline jeweler really did me a huge service by stressing this.

--------- Does your jeweler work with pave? If so what brands are they?

He did not want me to do pave eternity like the Michael B rings which I loved..because he said that there was not enough metal there to support those stones and that the metal could buckle or warp under too much pressure, aka hand gripping steering wheel or something as I think someone else noted. He said he had fixed rings like that before where the diamonds popped out from too much pressure...and he really did not recommend that kind of ring for daily usage because of long-term durability issues.

--------- We have sold Michael B for nearly 10 years and have never had a problem with a diamond just falling out. If you look at his work closely you will see the diamonds are recessed with enough metal touching the diamond to securely hold the melee (diamond) We have sold hundreds of his rings and I think the experience we and other Michael B dealers have had with his work is amazing. There is a dealer in your area Joe Escobar who will tell you about problems he has had with Michael B.

We did prong set eternity because of a few stories he told us and we just decided we did not love that bling encrusted look enough to worry about the setting day in and day out after forking over a few grand for it. At the time I was kind of like WELL is he just being a nervous nellie and esp after we have seen so many beautiful rings on here where people don''t have problems....but then lately it seems like EVERYONE is having something go wrong with a pave ring. So I don''t know why the delayed timeline, maybe when it was not as popular the worksmanship was better? I know that sounds bizarre but it''s just a thought. Why would there be less than a handful of problems for 2 years after we got our ring (when MB etc was still popular) but lately when it has all exploded in the last 6-9 months there seems to be a rash of recent issues within the last 6 months. Some say it could be worksmanship, others say it''s just the nature of the beast.

-------- The design period is French Romantic and has been around for 200 years. You pointed out earlier the popularity of the design at the turn of the last century. It is and has been one of the most beautiful styles of setting diamonds ever. Michael B started the trend "micro pave" and yes everyone has jumped on the pave train over the last few years. This might be the problem because not everyone is as experienced with the technique as he is. We have featured his work on my site for 9 years before you saw any micro pave work out there. It would be interesting to know which designers people are having problems with! Maybe you could start a thread so others could see where the problems are coming from. And as far as desirability Michael B is the most sought after bridal designer in the industry.

It''s hard to really determine WHY I think from a consumer''s perspective because I have seen experts say different things on this subject....but I guess the bottom line is that if you don''t want to worry about the ring, or worksmanship or the nature of the beast, then do not get that encrusted diamond pave look. I would especially not get 3 sided...there have been a few on here and we have heard of problems with those as well.

--------- I have seen far greater problems with channel settings having problems with the diamonds rocking in the channels. And have seen more diamond damage to exposed diamonds in 4 prong mounts than micro pave done properly.

If you do have something custom designed, make sure there is enough metal to support and protect the stones, and that may not mean micropave. But in the end all the information on this is out there, all the debates on what went wrong or did not, that it''s this or that...but if you don''t want to deal with it, avoid it. Don''t get pave. That''s it!

---------- I think also the reputation of the designer is of great importance. If there is a history of problems with their work stay away from them. There is a premium paid for the best branded diamond over the brokered diamonds and people feel comfortable paying this. Same holds true for the designers.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 12:13:35 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I think educating yourself on all the pros and cons is the way to go and what this site is about.
Many times people come here when they have a problem, there are probably hundreds of pave ring owners out there who are fine.
Ditto, ditto, ditto.
I completely agree with this. I am sure that out of each complaint that we read about, there are at least 100 other pave owners who have not had this problem, regardless of who made it and if it was custom or designer.

It just seems that it is becoming more common because everyone on the PS community is getting a pave ring.
Remember, the PS community is so small and everyone here knows each other and who designed what, so when we hear about a problem, we know all the details- diamond shape, size, color and clarity, and designer, heck, we even know the day they got engaged and we sawthe ring pictures before their own mothers did!!
For example, if I were to complain about a problem with my rings, everyone would think, but not necessarily say in a post-

OH, that''s Kayla''s ring and she has a 2 carat ACA from Whiteflash and she has those Ritani rings, I knew she shouldn''t have gotten them so thin, and why does everyone say she puts them in the ultrasonic, didn''t she say she returned it to SI, and I have to go take a look at those pictures that she posted, hmmmm, maybe I should go with this designer instead xxxxxxx, haven''t heard problems with his rings..........
2.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehe, EXACTLY! I think people who have problems are far more likely to write about it, or vote in the poll, because they have such a strong feeling about it, and the instinct to warn others. People who have been happily enjoying theirs without problems aren''t even going to bother reading threads like this half the time since they know it doesn''t apply to them. It makes me sad to think that pave is being so maligned by a lot of people here just because a few people have had problems. I mean, people have had problems with chipping diamonds or bent prongs or whatever else on non-pave rings, and everyone keeps buying diamonds regardless! Sure, some pave might not be as good quality, and then you will always get the occasional person with problems (often due to resizing, etc) but my impression is that on the whole the vast majority of pave-wearers don''t have problems. I hope that''s the case for me, I''ll be getting mine soon.....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone makes excellent points....my main feeling though is that if you are on the fence about it and unsure about what you really want..then don''t get pave. Because if you do have problems with it, you won''t be happy. I look at all the issues that Ally has had with her ring and I cringe because that''s such a horrible experience to have. OF COURSE not everyone is having that same experience and yes we probably hear about all the negatives and none of the positives, but seriously after all this drama I doubt I would ever be sreally gung ho about getting a pave ring for daily use unless I knew that diamonds could fall out and I''d be ''fine'' with it and not complain about it to everyone that listened.

Education is KEY and as others have said, being able to know what the drill is. I just knew I couldn''t deal with it...and Greg didn''t want me hassling with my wedding and engagement ring. At the time I was like OH but pave is sooo pretty and now I am just thankful I wasn''t stubborn for it then.
2.gif

Bill, my jeweler doesn''t do any bench work, he farms it out, but he has been in the business for something like 40 years, 25 or so in large chains and 15 with his own very successful store...he''s older. He''s seen alot of things and is definitely an old fashioned type of jeweler (I gave him an IS and he put it in the drawer and has never used it). But I am really glad we listened to him on that even though at the time I wasn''t convinced. Sure we could have had fabulous pave rings made up....and they''d probably be okay (they did a great job with my e-ring in terms of worksmanship) but better safe than sorry.

As for starting a new thread to discover where the pave problems are coming from, no thanks!
2.gif
I am actually really TIRED of hearing about pave and all the debate about whatwhohowwhy problems or should I or not...bottom line is it seems like everyone just has their own opinion whether it''s consumer or retailer or expert, and there''s no ''consensus'' on anything and every week there is a new thread about someone asking about it or wanting it or having a problem with it. Pave be gone!!! If you don''t want to deal with babying it, then please just DON''T GET IT.
1.gif

kaya

Rough_Rock
I have a Micael B ring, and a diamond fell out of the e-ring portion. That being said, big deal, I take it back to them and they put in another one and will check my other prongs and stones. Which I will do at some point. When I called them about it they said, just bring it in if I can, or I can ship it to them at their dime and have it fixed. As for over use, or whatever, I don''t work, don''t do anything like gardening or working out with it on, I take it off when I get home and don''t wear it to sleep. I''m a little surprised it fell out, but it''s not the end of the world, but I''m glad they will replace it for free and stand behind their workmanship.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 2:02:53 PM
Author: Melinda
Kaleigh,
Thanks. Since I've been following the thread for awhile, I'm aware of the concerns about Leon using his bench men, but I've been failing to come up with a way to tell him tonight that I want him to do most of the work (f not all)
face10.gif

How do you say that without seeming impolite? I realize I'm paying a premium for Leon's work, and that should be reason enough, but I'm afraid I just don't know how to demand that of him in a way that won't seem obnoxious or out of line.
I'm a bit late to this, but my two cents:

I don't think you can "demand" that he do the work, but you can tell him that you aren't comfortable with the notion of bench people doing the work, and that your decision to go with him would be contingent on an understanding that he will do all the work on it himself. If he object to this, then I'd likely select someone else.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 5:33:50 PM
Author: kaya
I have a Micael B ring, and a diamond fell out of the e-ring portion. That being said, big deal, I take it back to them and they put in another one and will check my other prongs and stones. Which I will do at some point. When I called them about it they said, just bring it in if I can, or I can ship it to them at their dime and have it fixed. As for over use, or whatever, I don''t work, don''t do anything like gardening or working out with it on, I take it off when I get home and don''t wear it to sleep. I''m a little surprised it fell out, but it''s not the end of the world, but I''m glad they will replace it for free and stand behind their workmanship.
I really think this is the key. It depends on how you will handle it if a stone happens to pop out.

If you are the type that will see it as a severe inconvenience to get it repaired, or feel like it''s the end of the world, cannot be happy with my ring because of all the negativity, then pave probably isn''t the right choice for your.

If you are the type who can roll with it and say "oh, stone fell out - no biggie - get it fixed and move on", then pave may be a fine choice for you.

We all have different tolerance levels, and we needs to make our individual choices according to those tolerances.
1.gif

Bluehammer

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I understand that there are risks with a pave setting. But my girlfriend is in love with it. The one I am looking at right now is a Whiteflash design. I am looking at either the Rhapsody or 3 row standard ring. I like how the Rhapsody narrows near the top. This seems to highlight the center stone a bit. As a result the Rhapsody is my favorite of the two for the moment.

My questions is: Many people here have spoken well of the designer pave rings. These are typically the name brand designers. The Whiteflash rings I am looking at appear from their site to have as good of quality. Can anyone who has purchased a Whiteflash pave provide me with quality details?

Also, if anyone "sees" a similar design, I am open to your input as well.

Thank you in advance for any info. I have learned a lot here and appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results