shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT An M OEC, A Vintage Setting, and Breakfast At Tiffanys

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
2,671
PICTURE (and story) HEAVY!

Starring: Miss Golightly, rather innocent, but doesn't really know what she wants to be:

m113aa.jpg

ALso Starring: The Lone Siren: a lovely ring that didn't want to play nicely!

set2.jpg

And, in her Debut of freedom, meet Mae, an M OEC who didn't know what she wanted to be...

freestone1.jpg

And the final player, Lula...a true vintage from the 1940's in white and yellow gold, she's a smalltown girl with big plans...

vintsetting.jpg


Our story opens with Miss Golightly, a ring I got last year. The in depth on it is in this thread if you want to read (though it isn't really necessary). :)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-sparkley-arrived-time-to-compare-to-mrb-need-opinions.179929/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-sparkley-arrived-time-to-compare-to-mrb-need-opinions.179929/[/URL]

The upshot is, MSiss Golightly was never meant to be the permanent home for the M stone sitting in it, but it went so well with The Ring That Did Not Want To Play Nicely (my lovely Van Craeynest band) I just left it alone, despite the things I didn't like about the setting (diamond set too low, and prongs not what I was hoping for on a fishtail setting). But it still bugged me and so I looked on and off trying to find an actual antique setting as Dreamer had suggested. Nothing was going to fit. I saw plenty of old settings, but the ones I liked were either too big or too small, and certainly no pretty octagonal ones jumped out at me.... :blackeye:

Then I saw Lula. And it looked like it might fit. And the price was good. And so I said "sure, let's try it" (thinking it would be a cool setting for a purple spinel in any case should my instinct fail me).

And still I was afraid to pull the stone from the setting...what if I was wrong????? And so I did it anyway.... 8-)

And this is what I said 30 seconds after he took it out: :shock: :mrgreen:

rlp.jpg

freestone2.jpg


Poor Mae! She'd been languishing in that platinum!!!! :((

No more!!!! Meet LulaMae. Lula and Mae are so much happier together. A vintage setting and a vintage stone. AH....


vintage2.jpg

vintage5.jpg

vintage7.jpg

So, a happy ending...for now...Where will LulaMae go next?????

Hmmmmm.....

m3.jpg
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
20,061
Can I just say I love everything about this!
The stone is lovely! I love the name you gave her ( my dad calls my daughter Mae...short for Mabel) so you had me there, let alone the fact its so yummy!
The setting is too darling! I'm on a huge yellow gold kick right now so I'm all a out it.
Too lovely! Great job bcat :appl: :love:
 

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
2,671
nielseel|1363489801|3406853 said:
Can I just say I love everything about this!
The stone is lovely! I love the name you gave her ( my dad calls my daughter Mae...short for Mabel) so you had me there, let alone the fact its so yummy!
The setting is too darling! I'm on a huge yellow gold kick right now so I'm all a out it.
Too lovely! Great job bcat :appl: :love:


Thanks so much Nielseel! I was so afraid I was going to be wrong and it was going not turn out right, but I'm really liking the 2 tone effect. Now, onwards to a find a band that will blend the 2 rings together! :halo:
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
20,061
bastetcat|1363490197|3406859 said:
nielseel|1363489801|3406853 said:
Can I just say I love everything about this!
The stone is lovely! I love the name you gave her ( my dad calls my daughter Mae...short for Mabel) so you had me there, let alone the fact its so yummy!
The setting is too darling! I'm on a huge yellow gold kick right now so I'm all a out it.
Too lovely! Great job bcat :appl: :love:


Thanks so much Nielseel! I was so afraid I was going to be wrong and it was going not turn out right, but I'm really liking the 2 tone effect. Now, onwards to a find a band that will blend the 2 rings together! :halo:
One of those tiffany type ones with the plat on the inside and a thin gold band (maybe mill grained) on the outside? You know the ones? I'd link but I can't seem to get it off mobile tiffany.com
 

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 29, 2012
Messages
2,910
I think this is the one nielseel is referring to. It's 3mm wide http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP00374&mcat=148204&cid=287466&search_params=s+5-p+68-c+287466-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+


this one is also nice, rose gold and not milgrained but it's only 2mm! I think it would be easy to find something similar elsewhere that is yellow and white http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP02811&mcat=148204&cid=287466&search_params=s+5-p+45-c+287466-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+


this one would be a stunner for sure...probably too thick for the look you are going for though! http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP05860&mcat=&cid=&search_params=s+1-p+2-c+-r+101287466-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+jean&search=1


Personally, I think having a beautiful white diamond against yellow gold gives it that two-tone look naturally. Maybe just a nice eternity/half/band of diamonds set in yellow gold? Maybe channel set so you can see more of the metal contrast?

screen_shot_2013-03-16_at_11.png

screen_shot_2013-03-16_at_0.png

screen_shot_2013-03-16_at_1.png
 

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 29, 2012
Messages
2,910
OH YEAH and I forgot to say I love the new and improved LulaMae!!! What a classy name, very fitting for such a classy gal!!! The new setting is just gorgeous. Such a perfect new home for her!
 

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
10,658
Lula Mae look in perfect harmony together!! What a gorgeous diamond and the setting is perfect for her! I think someone found a VC band on the "someone needs to be this band" thread --- YG w 4 diamonds set in it... have a browse, it might work!

Beautiful setting selection. Sometimes, just the right one, falls in your lap and you just know it is "the one"! I am so glad it worked out!

(and I love the way you told your post!! :appl: :D :appl: )
 

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
2,671
Pandabee- thank you! I love the second Tiff ring and it seems like it would go with both rings. 2mm is right about what I'm looking for. I also thought an eternity of some sort might be good. I'm still pondering that. :)

Enerchi- Thank you so much! Was that a VanC in the someone's gotta buy thread? I'll have to go look again. It bet it's too big for me...

That's the trouble. The platinum setting looked GREAT with the VanC band, which is why I kept leaving it alone (until the lowness bugged me too much....) So there was the fear that it wouldn't go with the VanC in the 2 tone. So the idea of the 3rd band has crept in, ideally a 2 tone.

here's the two together.

vintage9.jpg
 
D

Deactivated member 42515

Guest
Ooooooooh Lula Mae!!!! Girl, you are diiiiiiivine!!!!! Ooooooweeeee baby!!!! Don't be shy, let me take you out on a night on the town! With that "new" setting, you're showcasing all your fine goods! You're so beautiful!
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,824
LulaMae: meant to be!
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,318
Gorgeous!!! :love: Well done!! Lula Mae is a work of art! Wear her in health and happiness. :appl:
 

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
6,873
Love it!! What an amazing story with a fantastic ending! I love the stone and the setting together! I love the band that Enerchi mentioned...here's a photo (as I was considering it, but alas, it's too large for me and I'm afraid sizing might ruin it)....

gold_0.jpg
 

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
2,671
YT, Minou, Missy and Yenny- thank y'all for the compliments!

YT- You made me laugh!

And thank y'all for the link to that band. I do remember seeing it! And it is too big for my ring-finger. :blackeye: (And too small for an index finger!)

I do have something lined up now that I'm hoping works out. It was another one of those counterintuitive things so we'll see how it goes next week. Counterintuitive seems to be the word of the week with me this week.
 

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
2,419
Beautiful! Way to go on the setting! I think LulaMae looks perfect :love:
 

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
2,671
GemFever|1363531874|3407104 said:
Beautiful! Way to go on the setting! I think LulaMae looks perfect :love:

Thank you GemFever! I guess it's something close to done when a name falls on to it. 8) Is that kind of like naming a stray???? You know it's been adopted when....

Are you going to start a SMTB over here for your new lovely? :naughty:
 

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
2,419
bastetcat|1363532302|3407109 said:
GemFever|1363531874|3407104 said:
Beautiful! Way to go on the setting! I think LulaMae looks perfect :love:

Thank you GemFever! I guess it's something close to done when a name falls on to it. 8) Is that kind of like naming a stray???? You know it's been adopted when....

Are you going to start a SMTB over here for your new lovely? :naughty:

Naming does give it a special feeling! I should name my new pretty too, but I'm so bad with names.

I don't think I'll do a SMTB thread, at least not yet. Maybe if I get some awesome pics when the sun comes out. :rodent:
 

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 17, 2009
Messages
14,181
Wow!! :love: I have to say, the new setting really showcases your beautiful stone, and really makes it pop! Looks amazing...the first setting was pretty too, but the diamond did seem to get a bit lost...now it's the star of the show! Love it!
 

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
2,087
Your M color OEC is simply lovely...very gorgeous setting too! Congrats!
 

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Oct 6, 2011
Messages
1,316
Love her name, love the setting too. You did good girl! :appl:

More pictures please! 8)
 

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
2,671
Gemfever- I think the name will just pop out one day. :) Funny thing is, I would probably never think of naming my modern stone (well...maybe if it gets bigger one day...hee hee) But old cuts are just so quirky, the names seem to "fit" them.

Junebug- you are so right! It was a great setting, but every time I see it, I think "needs a modern stone or a tranny". I really think that would look fabulous in it. This one was just out of place in there.

Thank y'all Ariel and two-little-birds! I'll go try a few more pics after I get some overdue homework graded. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Is Spring Break really over??? :shock: And I have done nothing????
 

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
7,864
I have to say I'm loving how PS is moving towards more vintage pieces lately :twisted: Lula Mae is gorgeous!!!!!!! May she inspire many little or big sisters to come out and play! :halo: Instead of welcome to the dark side perhaps we can do welcome to the vintage side? Doesn't quite have the same ring :nono:
 

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
2,671
Sarahbear621|1363567485|3407417 said:
I have to say I'm loving how PS is moving towards more vintage pieces lately :twisted: Lula Mae is gorgeous!!!!!!! May she inspire many little or big sisters to come out and play! :halo: Instead of welcome to the dark side perhaps we can do welcome to the vintage side? Doesn't quite have the same ring :nono:

LOL!!! :twisted: I like Welcome to the Vintage Side. :halo:

And thank you! I am really enjoying how it turned out!
 

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
7,864
bastetcat|1363567852|3407425 said:
Sarahbear621|1363567485|3407417 said:
I have to say I'm loving how PS is moving towards more vintage pieces lately :twisted: Lula Mae is gorgeous!!!!!!! May she inspire many little or big sisters to come out and play! :halo: Instead of welcome to the dark side perhaps we can do welcome to the vintage side? Doesn't quite have the same ring :nono:

LOL!!! :twisted: I like Welcome to the Vintage Side. :halo:

And thank you! I am really enjoying how it turned out!


Remember to post in the M and under thread!!!! I try to keep it updated but my search function doesn't want to work today!
 

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
2,671
Sarahbear621|1363613188|3407712 said:
bastetcat|1363567852|3407425 said:
Sarahbear621|1363567485|3407417 said:
I have to say I'm loving how PS is moving towards more vintage pieces lately :twisted: Lula Mae is gorgeous!!!!!!! May she inspire many little or big sisters to come out and play! :halo: Instead of welcome to the dark side perhaps we can do welcome to the vintage side? Doesn't quite have the same ring :nono:

LOL!!! :twisted: I like Welcome to the Vintage Side. :halo:

And thank you! I am really enjoying how it turned out!


Remember to post in the M and under thread!!!! I try to keep it updated but my search function doesn't want to work today!

It's on my agenda today! :D
 

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
2,671
As promised, a few new pics. My Lady Banksia is in bloom and I got excited and had to take pictures. :)

ladybfire.jpg


And picking up colors all around:

backlight2.jpg


And one more fire shot.

fireset.jpg
 

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 15, 2010
Messages
2,184
Oh, Bastetcat that setting is so lovely and unique. I've never seen one like it. :love: :love: :love:
 

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
2,671
derbygal|1363717831|3408783 said:
Oh, Bastetcat that setting is so lovely and unique. I've never seen one like it. :love: :love: :love:

Thanks Derbygal! :wavey:

It's a slight modification to an antique 40's illusion head. I think Stuller still make a version of these (though as my jeweler said "not like this anymore" because I think they were die-struck at that time). The stone is actually a little too large for this 1ct setting and so he moved and rebuilt the prongs around the stone and that kind of makes the little edges and prongs all blend together which was an interesting side effect of a necessity. I love it when he looks at one of my ideas and basically says "We can do this, you're not (too) crazy". :) I'm so glad he has a sense of humor!
 

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
1,175
Oh MY!!!! That set is lovely!
 

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
2,419
Beautiful new pics! Also, love your pinkie ring. I want to wear something like that too. So chic!

likeit.gif
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top