shape
carat
color
clarity

An expoloration of DO vs. SAY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another curiosity of the day...

People often say that "actions speak louder than words," or "it's not what you say, it's what you do," or some other permutation of that sentiment.

With that in mind:

If someone describes their personality and/or social interaction style to others as being a specific way, does it truly not impact your perception of them? Or if someone makes a point to state that they are a certain type of person, does it hold some sway in how you see them?

How meaningful is it to you if/when people state the qualities they believe themselves to have?

tlh

Ideal_Rock

I have a friend who always tells me how non-judgemental she is... right before she tells me stories of others where she is passing judgement onto them. Makes me laugh... "I''m not judgemental or anything but...."

So, I instilled the BUT rule... which is... if I just made a decalrative statement, before I said the word but... completely disregard the statement... and weigh the proceeding statement/story based off of its merit. Yup... i would say you are judgemental... and I think you know you aer too... that is why you always say... "I am not judgemental or anything..."

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
musey - I have to say at that point I''d probably watch to see if they speak true. In some it is and they are just very aware of themselves. In others it may not be, and they think it is. I don''t base my opinion of the person off of that though.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I tend to believe what people say about themselves to a degree when I am getting to know them. I think, if asked what I thought of someone I knew (but didn''t know very well), I would temper my words to allow for the fact that I haven''t been able to observe enough to support their opinions of themselves but that I had no reason (at that point in the friendship) to think otherwise of them.

So, the better I get to know someone, the more or less their behaviour supports what they claimed it would be. The bigger the difference between what a person says about who they are and what I witness, the less I tend to trust them. This happened with my former best friend, who kept telling me how selfless and giving she was, when in fact she is one of the most selfish and self-absorbed people I have ever known and always let me down. That''s why she''s a ''former'' best friend.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
If a person feels the need to point out repeatedly that they are a certain way ("I''m so nice!" "Don''t you think I''m nice?" "Everyone always says I''m SO NICE."), then all that tells me is that they are insecure and they know that the opposite is actually the truth. And their actions (being purposefully hateful, saying rude things with no provocation, being verbally abusive and defensive) usually prove that.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes it is meaningful. If someone tells me something about themselves that I haven''t had a chance to observe personally. Like "my parents and I are really close" or "I''m passionate about keeping my house clean", I usually believe them, cause I have no evidence to the contrary.

And sometimes, people say things that are usually true. If someone says "I''m an arrogant prick" then I believe them, cause no one would say that except an arrogant prick
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It means squat to me.

You can say things about yourself as much as you want, but until I see those words personified in your actions, I will think you''re full of s#!+.

I can be blatantly honest, and I think that people have seen that through my words and actions. I don''t feel the need to build up a façade of something I wish I was, but am not.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:23:29 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
If a person feels the need to point out repeatedly that they are a certain way (''I''m so nice!'' ''Don''t you think I''m nice?'' ''Everyone always says I''m SO NICE.''), then all that tells me is that they are insecure and they know that the opposite is actually the truth. And their actions (being purposefully hateful, saying rude things with no provocation, being verbally abusive and defensive) usually prove that.
Well said. I completely agree.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:20:36 PM
Author: dragonfly411
musey - I have to say at that point I'd probably watch to see if they speak true. In some it is and they are just very aware of themselves. In others it may not be, and they think it is. I don't base my opinion of the person off of that though.
Whether it's fair or not, I tend to do the same when it's positive assets they're touting (I'm so kind/generous/talented/accomplished... anything braggy). When someone claims to be X Y or Z positive thing, I file that away, watch them more closely from then on and probably judge them more harshly in that area later on, if their behavior contradicts their claim.

Self-deprecation is another story, entirely!

I can't say for sure, but I don't think that I choose to tout assets often (if at all, but again, I don't police myself well enough to know). I prefer to let people make up their own minds. I suppose because of that approach, I tend to ignore what people say about themselves (for the most part), especially if my experience of/with them tells me different.

I will, however, say that "I like to think of myself as ____________," or "I strive to be a ____________ person." Which, to me, is sort of in a different category... though I'm sure that's debatable.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I pay more attention to body language than just words. Or a combo of words and body language together. So I guess that attests to actions vs. words. If your a good judge at reading body languange, then your probably 2 steps ahead of everyone else. Reading body language is a pretty accurate judge from my experience.

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:24:59 PM
Author: Haven

If a person feels the need to point out repeatedly that they are a certain way (''I''m so nice!'' ''Don''t you think I''m nice?'' ''Everyone always says I''m SO NICE.''), then all that tells me is that they are insecure and they know that the opposite is actually the truth. And their actions (being purposefully hateful, saying rude things with no provocation, being verbally abusive and defensive) usually prove that.

Ditto.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:05:43 PM
Author:musey
Another curiosity of the day...

People often say that ''actions speak louder than words,'' or ''it''s not what you say, it''s what you do,'' or some other permutation of that sentiment.

With that in mind:

If someone describes their personality and/or social interaction style to others as being a specific way, does it truly not impact your perception of them? Or if someone makes a point to state that they are a certain type of person, does it hold some sway in how you see them?

How meaningful is it to you if/when people state the qualities they believe themselves to have?
You weren''t thinking this because of me were you?
3.gif
3.gif
13.gif
(kidding) Because I think if someone that you don''t really ''know'' says how they are, then you ought to believe them, or give them the benefit of the doubt because you don''t see their actions and hear the way that they speak. I think I agree with joflier, body language...

I think it depends on each situation and the person that is stating that and why they are stating it...

And I guess I believe people based on what they say and if they tend to act as they say.

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 6:39:11 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

And I guess I believe people based on what they say and if they tend to act as they say.

I agree with your last statement. As long as a person has given me no reason to think otherwise, I should believe them.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Actions speak far louder than words in my opinion. Words don''t mean that much. I could go around telling people I''m really a robot, but it doesn''t make it true. (Well, maybe it is...but you wouldn''t believe me until I started shooting lasers out of my eyes.)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:44:35 PM
Author: ladypirate
Actions speak far louder than words in my opinion. Words don't mean that much. I could go around telling people I'm really a robot, but it doesn't make it true. (Well, maybe it is...but you wouldn't believe me until I started shooting lasers out of my eyes.)
3.gif

I'd like to see THAT!

A hot lady pirate robot! Austin Powers was missing a vital ingredient: pirate.

pirate.gif
root"/>

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:46:43 PM
Author: musey

Actions speak far louder than words in my opinion. Words don''t mean that much. I could go around telling people I''m really a robot, but it doesn''t make it true. (Well, maybe it is...but you wouldn''t believe me until I started shooting lasers out of my eyes.)
3.gif

I''d like to see THAT!

A hot lady pirate robot! Austin Powers was missing a vital ingredient: pirate.
Ha! Indeed. Yarrr!

Pirates are practically half robot anyhow, what with the hooks and peg legs and all.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
I could go around telling people I''m really a robot, but it doesn''t make it true. (Well, maybe it is...but you wouldn''t believe me until I started shooting lasers out of my eyes.)

omg - i was having a terrible day, and now i''m cracking up! thanks!
9.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 6:39:11 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

Author:musey

You weren''t thinking this because of me were you?
3.gif
3.gif
13.gif
(kidding) Because I think if someone that you don''t really ''know'' says how they are, then you ought to believe them, or give them the benefit of the doubt because you don''t see their actions and hear the way that they speak. I think I agree with joflier, body language...

I think it depends on each situation and the person that is stating that and why they are stating it...

Probably not, but I was.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
If a person feels the need to point out repeatedly that they are a certain way ('I'm so nice!' 'Don't you think I'm nice?' 'Everyone always says I'm SO NICE.'), then all that tells me is that they are insecure and they know that the opposite is actually the truth. And their actions (being purposefully hateful, saying rude things with no provocation, being verbally abusive and defensive) usually prove that.
Yeah I think it is weird when people say that or also say the opposite, "Oh I am so snarky!" I rather make up my own mind regarding others; it makes me wonder why people are labeling themselves.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:25:59 PM
Author: Skippy123

Yeah I think it is weird when people say that or also say the opposite, ''Oh I am so snarky!'' I rather make up my own mind regarding others; it makes me wonder why people are labeling themselves.

I always wonder this, too. I try not to say anything about myself because I''d hate to delude myself into thinking I''m cooler than I really am lol. I wonder if it''s one of those situations where they think, "If I repeat it enough, it will be TRUE!"

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:31:21 PM

If a person feels the need to point out repeatedly that they are a certain way ('I'm so nice!' 'Don't you think I'm nice?' 'Everyone always says I'm SO NICE.'), then all that tells me is that they are insecure and they know that the opposite is actually the truth. And their actions (being purposefully hateful, saying rude things with no provocation, being verbally abusive and defensive) usually prove that.
Yeah I think it is weird when people say that or also say the opposite, 'Oh I am so snarky!' I rather make up my own mind regarding others; it makes me wonder why people are labeling themselves.

I always wonder this, too. I try not to say anything about myself because I'd hate to delude myself into thinking I'm cooler than I really am lol. I wonder if it's one of those situations where they think, 'If I repeat it enough, it will be TRUE!'
haha
lol.gif
True!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:31:21 PM

Yeah I think it is weird when people say that or also say the opposite, ''Oh I am so snarky!'' I rather make up my own mind regarding others; it makes me wonder why people are labeling themselves.

I always wonder this, too. I try not to say anything about myself because I''d hate to delude myself into thinking I''m cooler than I really am lol. I wonder if it''s one of those situations where they think, ''If I repeat it enough, it will be TRUE!''
I agree with this 100%!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about when I say I''m lame? Because I think I do that quite often!
9.gif

Or would you rather make up your own minds about my lameitude?
11.gif
3.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:46:19 PM
9.gif

11.gif
3.gif

I see no lame!
9.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 6:27:58 PM
Author: blackpolkadot

Ditto.
Double ditto to MonkeyPie on several accounts. And I''ll add that people who feel the need constantly trying to prove they''re a certain way probably have a distorted perception of themselves...and may need to do a bit more soul searching.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif

11.gif
3.gif
I''d rather make up my own mind as to your lameness. Hey is lameness even a word???
34.gif
3.gif
For that matter is lameitude a word?
41.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:50:53 PM
Author: sammyj
Date: 3/11/2009 6:27:58 PM

Author: blackpolkadot

Ditto.

Double ditto to MonkeyPie on several accounts. And I''ll add that people who feel the need constantly trying to prove they''re a certain way probably have a distorted perception of themselves...and may need to do a bit more soul searching.
It does kind of scream "I''m insecure", doesn''t it?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:51:43 PM
Author: Kaleigh
What about when I say I'm lame? Because I think I do that quite often!
9.gif

11.gif
3.gif
I'd rather make up my own mind as to your lameness. Hey is lameness even a word???
34.gif
3.gif
For that matter is lameitude a word?
41.gif
It is now!

I guess I need to think twice the next time I want to admit that I'm being lame
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:48:28 PM
9.gif

11.gif
3.gif
I see no lame!
9.gif
Maybe not right now... but I may have to rely on you to call out my lame next time!
9.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I don''t generally trust others to size up their own (especially positive)personality traits. And it kind of bothers me to hear someone say something like, "I''m really adorable and wise beyond my years."
Nope. It''s up to other people to say whether you''re adorable (but your telling me so not only makes me think you''re not adorable, it makes me think you''re a self-centered twit). It''s like when you''re writing a creative piece, you''re not supposed to say, "Lily was a very classy lady with an old soul," you''re supposed to show Lily''s personality in other ways.

But self-deprecation I don''t mind at all. Maybe I can relate better to that kind of comment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results