shape
carat
color
clarity

An expoloration of DO vs. SAY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:48:47 PM
Author: TheBigT
I don''t generally trust others to size up their own (especially positive)personality traits. And it kind of bothers me to hear someone say something like, ''I''m really adorable and wise beyond my years.''
Has someone actually said that to you?!

WOW.
23.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I think people can say whatever they want (and maybe I''ll set myself up to want to believe it subconsciously), but until I see it for myself, I won''t make that determination.

AND, IRL, this is something that happens ALL the time. People yack away about being a certain way, but when tested, they couldn''t be more opposite.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:51:28 PM
Author: musey

I don''t generally trust others to size up their own (especially positive)personality traits. And it kind of bothers me to hear someone say something like, ''I''m really adorable and wise beyond my years.''

WOW.
23.gif

I have a very self-centered friend. She likes to talk about how adorable, tiny, large-breasted, and wealthy she is. And how big her ring will be when she gets engaged because of all the money her boyfriend will spend because of all the money he earns.

But I see it more often on the internet - yes, PS included (since it''s the only internet forum I read). Q: Describe yourself. A: I''m wise beyond my years, I have many fine qualities, People think of me as XYZ. I don''t want to quote too closely, in the interest of not completely offending those people.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:57:54 PM

Date: 3/11/2009 9:51:28 PM

WOW.
23.gif

I have a very self-centered friend. She likes to talk about how adorable, tiny, large-breasted, and wealthy she is. And how big her ring will be when she gets engaged because of all the money her boyfriend will spend because of all the money he earns.

But I see it more often on the internet - yes, PS included (since it''s the only internet forum I read). Q: Describe yourself. A: I''m wise beyond my years, I have many fine qualities, People think of me as XYZ. I don''t want to quote too closely, in the interest of not completely offending those people.
This is my favorite. "Everyone says I''m [insert positive adjective here]." It''s like people delude themselves into thinking it''s not bragging, even though it totally is.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Musey, you are the furthest thing from lame. FYI.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I tend to think that what people say is the opposite of what''s really true. I definitely feel like when people say, "Yeah, I''m so laid back," or "Everybody always talks about hwo nice I am," they''re trying really really hard to make you believe it. And if they''ve got to MAKE you believe it, it''s probably not true.

I generally try to just give people time to show me who they really are, because every time I''ve believed somebody, it''s ended up hurting me.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:08:23 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Thanks
3.gif
Of course, now I seem like the attention-seeking sort. Wait, if I say that I''m attention-seeking, does it make me non-attention-seeking? I mean, if we''re following the rules of opposites, here.

Thank you for helping me see that line through, Freke!
9.gif

In all honesty, I assign labels (in this case, "lame") in a self-deprecating way. Lots of other people do, and I tend to laugh about it and look no further. A couple of you have commented on the self-deprecation-variety of "I''m _______" comments... anyone else care to? Is it more/less/the same amount irritating as positive "I''m _______" comments?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:31:30 PM

Thanks
3.gif
Of course, now I seem like the attention-seeking sort. Wait, if I say that I''m attention-seeking, does it make me non-attention-seeking? I mean, if we''re following the rules of opposites, here.

Thank you for helping me see that line through, Freke!
9.gif

In all honesty, I assign labels (in this case, ''lame'') in a self-deprecating way. Lots of other people do, and I tend to laugh about it and look no further. A couple of you have commented on the self-deprecation-variety of ''I''m _______'' comments... anyone else care to? Is it more/less/the same amount irritating as positive ''I''m _______'' comments?

Depends on the common. Calling yourself makes me giggle, but calling yourself ugly or fat? Attention-seeking.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:05:30 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Probably not, but I was.
6.gif
ok

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well,since many of you admited that you''re lame,then i must be the most inteligent person on PS.
16.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:48:49 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
well,since many of you admited that you''re lame,then i must be the most inteligent person on PS.
16.gif

No, I am. Everyone always tells me how smart I am. I''m so very intelligent that it''s apparent not only to those who know me well, and those with whom I communicate on the internet, but also to people passing me on the street, and even those people who merely glimpse a picture of me. Everyone agrees, I''m quite intelligent.
3.gif
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
^^
rofl.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:53:29 PM
16.gif
No, I am. Everyone always tells me how smart I am. I''m so very intelligent that it''s apparent not only to those who know me well, and those with whom I communicate on the internet, but also to people passing me on the street, and even those people who merely glimpse a picture of me. Everyone agrees, I''m quite intelligent.
3.gif
2.gif
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Bia

Ideal_Rock

3.gif
2.gif
She''s got jokes.

25.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Freke (as usual... do we share a brain sometimes?).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:05:13 PM
Author: Clairitek
Ditto Freke (as usual... do we share a brain sometimes?).
Seriously. Between you and musey, and a few other ladies I feel like I''ve got brain twins all over the country. (Nick at Nite anyone?)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:41:51 PM
calling yourself ugly or fat? Attention-seeking.
I thought I was dreaming but, no, this actually happened yesterday ...

Date: 3/10/2009 4:44:55 PM
I'm wondering how many my tubby self would need to make myself a white version for our vow renewal in a few years
36.gif

Do you consider that "attention seeking"?
33.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:03:50 PM
Author: Bia

3.gif
2.gif

She''s got jokes.

25.gif

hehehehe
3.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:06:22 PM
Author: decodelighted

I''m wondering how many my tubby self would need to make myself a white version for our vow renewal in a few years
36.gif

Do you consider that ''attention seeking''?
33.gif

I was waiting for that lol. I almost added a note that I do it, too. Yeah, it probably is construed that. I will admit I didn''t think it through before I wrote it. But the fact is I am at LEAST 6 sizes bigger than the girls in the pictures - would you consider that tubby? Cause I do. Whether anyone agrees or not.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:10:52 PM
I''m wondering how many my tubby self would need to make myself a white version for our vow renewal in a few years
36.gif
33.gif
I was waiting for that lol. I almost added a note that I do it, too. Yeah, it probably is construed that. I will admit I didn''t think it through before I wrote it. But the fact is I am at LEAST 6 sizes bigger than the girls in the pictures - would you consider that tubby? Cause I do. Whether anyone agrees or not.
1.gif
I was just wondering because I refer to myself (honestly) as plus-sized or curvy or various verisons of what is basically CHUBBO. I don''t do it for people to say "Nooooooo! You''re perfect sized!" I say it because it has to do with whatever I''m writing/shopping for/the picture I"m trying to paint ...

I do agree that sometimes people put themselves down in order to get reassurance ... but not everyone.
1.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:25:59 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 3/11/2009 5:23:29 PM

If a person feels the need to point out repeatedly that they are a certain way (''I''m so nice!'' ''Don''t you think I''m nice?'' ''Everyone always says I''m SO NICE.''), then all that tells me is that they are insecure and they know that the opposite is actually the truth. And their actions (being purposefully hateful, saying rude things with no provocation, being verbally abusive and defensive) usually prove that.
Yeah I think it is weird when people say that or also say the opposite, ''Oh I am so snarky!'' I rather make up my own mind regarding others; it makes me wonder why people are labeling themselves.

I think some of this has to do with who someone is talking to. For example, Skippy is sooooo sweet, kind and nice that when I talk to her I can''t help but be nice. But put me together with Freke and the snark can fly.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:15:14 PM
Date: 3/11/2009 11:10:52 PM

36.gif

33.gif

1.gif

I was just wondering because I refer to myself (honestly) as plus-sized or curvy or various verisons of what is basically CHUBBO. I don''t do it for people to say ''Nooooooo! You''re perfect sized!'' I say it because it has to do with whatever I''m writing/shopping for/the picture I''m trying to paint ...

I do agree that sometimes people put themselves down in order to get reassurance ... but not everyone.

1.gif

Exactly! I''m glad to know you understand. If I were a size 2 and calling myself fat, well, THAT would be attention seeking. But I am 18 on a good day and so I am SO FAR from thin lol. It''s just honesty.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:23:33 PM
Author: EricaR

If a person feels the need to point out repeatedly that they are a certain way (''I''m so nice!'' ''Don''t you think I''m nice?'' ''Everyone always says I''m SO NICE.''), then all that tells me is that they are insecure and they know that the opposite is actually the truth. And their actions (being purposefully hateful, saying rude things with no provocation, being verbally abusive and defensive) usually prove that.
Yeah I think it is weird when people say that or also say the opposite, ''Oh I am so snarky!'' I rather make up my own mind regarding others; it makes me wonder why people are labeling themselves.

I think some of this has to do with who someone is talking to. For example, Skippy is sooooo sweet, kind and nice that when I talk to her I can''t help but be nice. But put me together with Freke and the snark can fly.

LOL Freke and I snark, too. But there are a couple people that bring out the super-nice in me - musey, lauren and Skippy are defenitly some of them. And then there are a few that make me downright irate.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh whatever, you know you don''t need lil'' ol'' me for the snark to fly.

You do just fine by yourself.
27.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:27:17 PM
LOL Freke and I snark, too. But there are a couple people that bring out the super-nice in me - musey, lauren and Skippy are defenitly some of them. And then there are a few that make me downright irate.
Dang, I just bring out the snarkiness in everyone!

Tee hee, whats funny is I''ve been known to bring out the snark in Skippy and musey too.
3.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:30:24 PM
Date: 3/11/2009 11:27:17 PM

Dang, I just bring out the snarkiness in everyone!

Tee hee, whats funny is I''ve been known to bring out the snark in Skippy and musey too.
3.gif

I don''t believe you''re snarky just cuz you say so; you have to show me.
3.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:34:39 PM

3.gif
Yea Freke, show us what you''re made of...cause believe this, New Yorkers have made ''snark'' an art form. I''m not a New Yorker, I just live here...but BigT, she''s from the BK, ain''t ya Big?

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:40:08 PM

3.gif

Yea Freke, show us what you''re made of...cause believe this, New Yorkers have made ''snark'' an art form. I''m not a New Yorker, I just live here...but BigT, she''s from the BK, ain''t ya Big?

Represent.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 11:41:34 PM
Date: 3/11/2009 11:40:08 PM

I don't believe you're snarky just cuz you say so; you have to show me.
3.gif

Yea Freke, show us what you're made of...cause believe this, New Yorkers have made 'snark' an art form. I'm not a New Yorker, I just live here...but BigT, she's from the BK, ain't ya Big?

Represent.

LOLOLOL

Boba!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
16.gif
That''s RIGHT!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results